Versions Compared

Key

• This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.

Terri Agnew:Welcome to the At-Large Ad-hoc WG on the Transition of US Government Stewardship of the IANA Function on Wednesday, 12 November 2014 at 16:00 UTC

Terri Agnew:meeting page: https://community.icann.org/x/AjPxAg

Fatima Cambronero:hello everyone

Eduardo Diaz:¡Hola a todos!

Terri Agnew:Welcome Fatima

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:trying to connect microphone via Bluetooth

Fatima Cambronero:thanks Terri!

Alan Greenberg:The more technology you use, the more opportunities to balme it when things don't work...

Alan Greenberg:I am in cynical mode today.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO)::-)

Terri Agnew:@Cheryl, dialing back out to you

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO)::-)

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):I am still on

Glenn McKnight:Hi all

Alberto Soto:Hi all!

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):no I was not it just seemed like I was

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):back

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:ok

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):dropped again

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):back

Fatima Cambronero:I think there was a comment from LACRALO to the Charter

Alan Greenberg:Yijani fading

Alan Greenberg:Tijani

Terri Agnew:Janvier Ngnoulaye has joined

Janvier  Ngnoulaye (ISOC Cameroon):Hi to All

Terri Agnew:@Tijani, its difficult to hear you

Terri Agnew:Final Version of Enhancing ICANN Accountability CWG Charter: http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/iana-issues/2014-November/000807.html

Alberto Soto:" Add to any criteria under consideration an impact analysis on the efficiency, efficacy and costs related to substantives processes that ICANN shall be transparent and accountable to its community"

Alberto Soto:No problem Tijani!!

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:https://community.icann.org/display/alacpolicydev/At-Large+Cross+Community+Working+Group+%28CCWG%29+Charter+Workspace

Alberto Soto:OK Olivier, thanks

Fatima Cambronero:Thanks @Tijani & @Leon!

Janvier  Ngnoulaye (ISOC Cameroon):AOB : I read that "Yesterday Obama has transfered the internet jurisdiction from NTIA to FCC", so what can be the impact of this on the transition process ?

Fatima Cambronero:ok, understood. Thanks @Alan

Terri Agnew:At-Large Ad-hoc WG on the Transition of US Government Stewardship of the IANA Function: https://community.icann.org/x/OYThAg

Terri Agnew:@Jean Jacques we are unable to hear you

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:hello, not muted, but something else ?

Terri Agnew:please let us know if you prefer us to dial out to you

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):garbled

Terri Agnew:@Seun, we are unable to hear you

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:Olivier & All: my report is very brief. Only point currently under discussion is the choice of a Secretariat. A decision should be announced within a few days now.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:@Jean Jacques -- thank you. I shall read this to the record

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:But I can hear the whole discussion very clearly. I'm asking Terri if there's anything that can be done on Staff side.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:Thanks Jean-Jacques - do let me know about the tech being fixed - otherwise I'll read your point to the record

Janvier  Ngnoulaye (ISOC Cameroon):The development of a proposal from the AFRINIC region is in progress. The Survey on the IANA Stewardship Transition has been launch yesterday to collect the input of the community.

Terri Agnew:We are dialing back out to Seun to get a better line

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:Thanks Olivier for reading my report into the record. I'm continuing to listen in.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):yes things are progressing in. Numbers world, but we are seeing work on the foundation doc I referred to

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:Jean-Jacques Subrenat: @Olivier: yes, closed meeting.Jean-Jacques Subrenat: @Alan, I don't think so...

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):it is not a/start from scratch exercise

Terri Agnew:Seun has rejoined audio

Terri Agnew:CWG to Develop an IANA Stewardship Transition Proposal on Naming Related Functions: https://community.icann.org/x/37fhAg

Terri Agnew:IANA CWG Meeting #5 (4 November) : https://community.icann.org/x/DizxAg

Terri Agnew:IANA CWG Meeting #6 (13 November): https://community.icann.org/x/zi3xAg

Fatima Cambronero:Proposed Agenda for Thursday call 1. Welcome & Roll Call2. Notes from last meeting, review of action items and project plan3. Status on work – subgroups     -- Subgroup 1, 2A, 2B     -- Subgroup 2C     -- Subgroup 34. Update on F2F meeting agenda 5. Any other business6. Summary of action items and agreed items

Fatima Cambronero:proposed agenda for the call on Thursday 13 November (14:00-16:00 UTC):

Seun:Hi all...apologies for coming in late

Seun:can my audio be redailed please

Terri Agnew:Current Drafts of documents being developed: https://community.icann.org/x/UQ3xAg

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):surely   #3 is the most important for us to discuss the others #1&#2 being more foundation al

Seun:I agree with Cheryl

Alan Greenberg:Regarding ICG meeting, the announcement on Nov 5 (and corresponding e-mail) said the call today was open. On the 9th, they changed that, changing the public announcement posted bit did not follow up with an e-mail.

Seun:most especially the strawman options that has just been released and discussed during the rfp3

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):yes 1&2 are fact finding and clarity exercises

Fatima Cambronero:sorry I have a comment to RFP 3

Fatima Cambronero:no problem

Terri Agnew:Work Item Sub Groups: https://community.icann.org/x/BSrxAg

Terri Agnew:CWG-RFP3 - Proposed Post-Transition Oversight and Accountability Arrangements: https://community.icann.org/x/ESrxAg

Seun:the audio is breaking at my end (using mobile)

Seun:now i have lost audio

Seun::(

Terri Agnew:@Seun, we will dial back out toy ou

Seun:okay thanks

Glenn McKnight:@ Alan  what about  Compliance.  Inside or  Outside  ICANN

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):agree totally with @alan here

Eduardo Diaz:Me too

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):to your question @OCL my view tends ATM to SMP2 with some weeks perhaps

Glenn McKnight:Little  options  outside of  ICANN since the  other  choices are poor

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):weeks  =  Tweeks

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:@Eduardo +1.

Tijani BEN JEMAA:@Alan +1, but this will make the accountability issue of most importance

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):SMP2 is a MSM of over site

Gordon Chillcott:@Tijani +1

Glenn McKnight:Outside  compliance evaluators?

Eduardo Diaz:@Tijani: agree with you.

Eduardo Diaz:@Fatima:  no body had the matrix at the time of the call

Janvier  Ngnoulaye (ISOC Cameroon):+1 Fatima

Fatima Cambronero:agree @Olivier

Seun:i start flying on sunday ;)

Fatima Cambronero:I on Monday :(

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:seems my microphone is now enabled...

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:@Cheryl +1.

Glenn McKnight:Can't hear  Seun

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:Thanks JJS

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):next version of the matrix will have several typos and errors or updates add es/corrected

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):we need to ensure our wiki files have the most up to date as published and links to the. proposed collaborative doc (s)

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:@Cheryl: yes this will be updated as soon as Greg Shatan shares the updated copy

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):I hope we will go through ALL the columns soon

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:yes that's coming up next, Cheryl

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:I have concerns on time

Fatima Cambronero::)

Glenn McKnight:Benefits  exists  to be  a  separate  Non Profit  apart from ICANN for  legal reasons

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):division or subsidiary in that order for me

Fatima Cambronero:if is a division, how the accountability works?

Gordon Chillcott:Agree with Cheryl here.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):what benefits. @glenn

Glenn McKnight:Limits the charter of an organization to specific  deliverables

Glenn McKnight:Limits  liability

Eduardo Diaz:@Olivier: And what is your personal opinion on the same  question being asked?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):that can happen in Division OR subsidiary IMO  AZ well

Fatima Cambronero:+1 on @Seun question

Glenn McKnight:It  should  be arms' length

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:Division, subsidiary, department... All this will depend MORE ON CALIFORNIA LAW and THE WILL OF THE USG, rather than what we, as community, may prefer...

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):bylaws. and or M&As

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):the SMP 1-3. take that into account @glenn

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):we now heve little time to review the SMPs

Alan Greenberg:A subsiduary woulod be a separate legal entity with its own Board. It *could* share resources. ANd as the owner, ICANN could direct what the subsid does (or replace its Board)

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):and that has significant advantage perhaps @alan

Janvier  Ngnoulaye (ISOC Cameroon):@Fatima, good questions

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:@Alan, see my remark above.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):accountability is covered in the SMPs @fatima.   slight variation of proposed model(s)  is covered in the 3 choices

Fatima Cambronero:thanks @Clo

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:@Seun: no, we cannot say that, currently, "IANA is distinct from ICANN"...

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):@alan we also need to remember the points made in the last call where the SMPs were discussed about juristiction and international organisations exemptions given by governments

Janvier  Ngnoulaye (ISOC Cameroon):So we really need a legal opinion on "Division" and "subsiduary" before taking a decision.

Fatima Cambronero:agree @Janvier

Seun:@JJ so you are saying that IANA functions at the moment is not distinct from ICANN?

Seun:Because i think it seem to be

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:@Alberto, the IANA website states "IANA is responsible for coordinating the Internet’s globally unique identifiers, and is operated by the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN)."

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:http://www.iana.org/about

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):ICANN is the current contracted IANA Function Operations

Janvier  Ngnoulaye (ISOC Cameroon):In my understanding, IANA is a tech part of the ICANN business

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):THAT currently functions as a Division

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:so IANA is a function of ICANN operating within a division of ICANN

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:yes

Seun:Exactly @Cheryl

Alberto Soto:Thanks @JJ

Seun:This is the way i also understand it

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:https://community.icann.org/download/attachments/49352017/Strawman%20Matrix.docx?api=v2

Gordon Chillcott:Unfortunately, I have a hard disconnect now.   Thanks, and bye for now.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):at LAST !!!

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:Sorry, I'll have to sign off in 2 minutes. Best to all!

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):that is to the Agenda item not your leaving @gordon :-)

Gordon Chillcott:I understand @Cheryl . . .

Seun:NO

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):this document already modified will be also in a collaborative file Google doçs... we can ALL probably have input yhere

Alan Greenberg:We need an OVERSIGHT MECHANISM that the Board cannot ignore. That *may* require a second body.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):there when released

Eduardo Diaz:No oversigth body

Alan Greenberg:SEE MY COMMENT ABOVE

Seun Ojedeji:I don't see a should

Seun Ojedeji:I mean i don't see a green

Tijani BEN JEMAA:+++1

Fatima Cambronero:agree @Alan Body is different than mechanism

Seun Ojedeji:I agree to mechanism but not a body

Alan Greenberg:XCritical issue is whether a rogue Board can ignore oversight.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):pol needs. 3.  maybe

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):thx

Alan Greenberg:Challenge is to craft that where typical corporate law says a Board has ultimate control except when order to do something else by legal authorities (such as a court).

Janvier  Ngnoulaye (ISOC Cameroon):Yes to the oversight body. Mechanism should be a tech part of  that Body

Fatima Cambronero:@Alan do you mean something different than an appeal mechanism?

Alan Greenberg:An appeal within the organization does not compel board to change position. they might, but not necessarily.

Janvier  Ngnoulaye (ISOC Cameroon):for me a Mechanism is a process used by the Oversight Body to act

Fatima Cambronero:yes, understood @Alan

Heidi Ullrich:Please could everyone vote again in the new poll?

Alan Greenberg:Separability of IANA from ICANN, or of oversight from ICANN?

Glenn McKnight:Tried  numerous  times  to vote on the poll but not  closing

Eduardo Diaz:@Alan: ICANN by-laws need to change to protect IANA or any oversigth decision.

Alberto Soto:me too @Glenn

Heidi Ullrich:@Glenn, please send OCL through private chat your  response

Heidi Ullrich:Alberto. could you please let OCL know via private chat ?

Alan Greenberg:I sense that the answer is a an OVERSIGHT MECHANISM if we can find one that works.. Barring that, we need to look at structural changes.

Alberto Soto:Ok Heidi

Glenn McKnight:@ I sent him a message

Glenn McKnight:Problem with the poll not  advancing

Glenn McKnight:The  poll isn't clear

Glenn McKnight:Yes  Alan's  comments  make sense

Fatima Cambronero:@Alan, what the structural changes are?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):you could roll up both the oversight mech responses if you like based on Alan's comment

Seun Ojedeji:+1 because i think 3 and 4 actually mean the same thing

Eduardo Diaz:@Seun & CLO: agree.

Alan Greenberg:another for 3

Janvier  Ngnoulaye (ISOC Cameroon):@Seun : we can merge 3 & 4, it sound the same

Heidi Ullrich:or a Survey Monkey poll

Seun Ojedeji:Great...! will followup via mail

Janvier  Ngnoulaye (ISOC Cameroon):A survey monkey poll open to the At-large community ?

Fatima Cambronero:On Monday I will be flying to Frankfurt @Olivier

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):thanks so much for extending @veronica

Seun Ojedeji:I will be in frankfurt on wed but will fly to Geneva on sunday before heading to frankfurt

Seun Ojedeji:Thanks Olivier

Seun Ojedeji:is the poll going to incoporate the 2 polls set here?

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:@Seun: we can do that, yes. Thanks

Seun Ojedeji:great...and to add a space for comments will also be great.

Seun Ojedeji:Thanks

Alberto Soto:Thanks, bye bye!

Fatima Cambronero:thank you very much, @Veronica!

Seun Ojedeji:Thanks

Seun Ojedeji:bye

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):bye.  thanks all

Eduardo Diaz:Gracias and see you most of you in Frankfurt. I iwill be travelling Monday.

Tijani BEN JEMAA:thank you all

Janvier  Ngnoulaye (ISOC Cameroon):thank Cheryl & to All

Seun Ojedeji:see you Eduardo

Janvier  Ngnoulaye (ISOC Cameroon):Bye Fatima

Fatima Cambronero:thanks all. Bye

Janvier  Ngnoulaye (ISOC Cameroon):Bye to All

Fatima Cambronero:bye Janvier