Versions Compared

Key

• This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.
Comment: Migrated to Confluence 4.0

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:              Yeah, well fine, but it does show that we do need to, as we are closing it, just allow for a comment or something on the bottom of an archive page in case someone finds themselves that they could put that in as a comment, and staff could unlock it and rectify it against the-  So perhaps we should rectify it, pre-flag that one as one that we will be using as an example of how it has been consumed by a new one and if we can make the appropriate changes, and Accountability and Transparency now has a totally new focus in a post-Affirmation of Commitments world which was when we put this together. 

Wiki MarkupAnd we probably should also link to the Affirmation of Commitments results and commentary by the ALAC on the ATRT as well off that page, because it carries a closely substantial linkage to the work that our original Work Group did and the outcomes that we say in a post-JPA and post-Affirmation of Commitments world.    So just a little bit of \ [twirling\] and tidying I think is required.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond:          Thank you very much, Cheryl.  And I think not only that but one thing that I’m particularly concerned about is if one opens new or starts new Working Groups and closes older Working Groups, the knowledge that might be lost in the process is something that’s of concern to me especially when the new Working Groups or if the new Working Groups do not take into account the knowledge that was acquired in the Working Group that it superseded somehow.  So that’s one thing we also have to look at.

The confusing thing is that in the last iteration the GNSO, there were unilateral negotiations between ICANN staff and registrars, and the GNSO was then told “You have to approve this with the two-thirds majority if it’s to be enacted.”  The GNSO rightfully viewed that as being asked to rubber stamp something which they hadn’t participated in and to a large extent refused.  Ultimately it was adopted by the GNSO with the understanding that this new procedure would be discussed, so that’s how we got where we are right now.unmigrated-wiki-markup

The registrars are basically objected to the second version, the one which was built upon their recommendation, because it added a number of restrictions to it.    Moreover the registrars have now somewhat changed their position in that they are now saying they accepted the GNSO being part of the approval process before for expediency because they really wanted that last set of RAA changes.    If you remember it was in response to the \ [register fly\] problems and there were things that even they felt had to be changed.

The situation is different now.  The registrars from my perspective anyway, they may not agree, are moderately happy with the current RAA and it’s ICANN and the user groups that want to see changes.  So the registrars don’t feel they’re under any compulsion to give a lot in how this one gets adopted.  And that’s basically where we sit.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond:          Alright, that will be appreciated.  I think we can move to the next point in our agenda, and that’s the identification of data to be shared with registrars and I’ll give you a little bit of background on this.  I have recently received an email from the Registrar Constituency and I have been asked just as a follow-up email basically from the meeting we had in San Francisco.  And so we have a to-do list effectively. 

Wiki MarkupThey are focusing specifically on the educational products for end users and consumers and also they are asking us for more education, more outreach ideas.    And I gather that we need to get a little group on our side to work on that.    On the registrars side -- and I’m just quickly looking over the email -- there is Hammock Statton and \ [Nicola Maylen\], so there are two working on this and we do need a couple of people here as well.  

So I’m looking for volunteers who would be interested in following up.  And Sebastien, you cannot be a volunteer, you have your hand up.  

Olivier Crépin-Leblond:          Yes, we can hear you, Tijani.you, Tijani.

Tijani Ben Jemaa:                    Okay.  I was muted, thank you Olivier.  I think that it is a very old call and I think it was initiated by (inaudible) from IANA, and I think we discussed it and I had a limited exchange with [Nayla] and I went on here to be inside this team.  But I don’t know why there was a long silence and now we need it again.  Is there anything new?  I don’t see any email or anything that says that.  Thank Wiki MarkupTijani Ben Jemaa:                    Okay.  I was muted, thank you Olivier.  I think that it is a very old call and I think it was initiated by (inaudible) from IANA, and I think we discussed it and I had a limited exchange with \[Nayla\] and I went on here to be inside this team.  But I don’t know why there was a long silence and now we need it again.  Is there anything new?  I don’t see any email or anything that says that.  Thank you.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond:          Thank you, Tijani.  The request was made through an email over to me and I wanted to discuss it here before we send it out to the wider list.  Sebastien?

Olivier Crépin-Leblond:          That’s correct, yes.  And I encourage everyone to join us then.  It is a particularly interesting and important subject, too.  So thank you very much, good morning, good afternoon, and good night.

Wiki Markup\[End of Transcript\]