10:54:31 From Yeşim Saglam - ICANN Org to Everyone:
    Hello, my name is Yeşim Sağlam and I will be monitoring this chat room and the Q&A pod.  In this role, I am the voice for remote participants.  Please note that questions or comments will only be read aloud if submitted within the Q&A pod. I will read them aloud during the time set by the Chair or Moderator of this session.  Questions and comments placed in chat will be considered part of the “chat” and will not be read out loud on the microphone.  If you wish to speak during this session, raise your hand in Zoom or queue at the aisle microphone as directed.Please note that chat sessions are being archived and are governed by the ICANN Expected Standards of Behavior: http://www.icann.org/en/news/in-focus/accountability/expected-standards
10:55:23 From Harish Chowdhary (हरीश चौधरी) to Everyone:
    Hello ,everyone, I am Harish Chowdhary, UA Ambassador, Joining from India
10:56:21 From Gopal Tadepalli to Everyone:
    Greetings. - Dr. T V Gopal, Professor, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, College of Engineering, Guindy Campus, Anna University, Chennai, INDIA
10:56:36 From Vikas Saraswat to Everyone:
    Reacted to "Hello ,everyone, I a..." with 
10:56:41 From Vikas Saraswat to Everyone:
    Reacted to "Greetings. - Dr. T V..." with 
10:56:51 From Vikas Saraswat to Everyone:
    Removed a  reaction from "Greetings. - Dr. T V..."
10:56:58 From Vikas Saraswat to Everyone:
    Reacted to "Greetings. - Dr. T V..." with 
10:57:17 From Linda, Adjunct Ombuds to Everyone:
    Greetings everyone from the iCANN Ombuds team
11:00:04 From Sabelo Zimu to Everyone:
    Reacted to "Greetings everyone f..." with 
11:00:37 From Marius Andriamparany (NIC-MG) to Everyone:
    Greetings to all of you form Prof. Marius Andriamparany, board member of NIC-MG (Madagascar)
11:07:07 From Gopal Tadepalli to Everyone:
    <QUESTION> The language "Bantu" has a close relation to the ethic "Ubuntu". How many of the African languages are related to "Bantu"? - Dr. T V Gopal, Anna University, Chennai, INDIA
11:08:52 From gisella.gruber to Everyone:
    A kind reminder to speak at a reasonable speed to allow for accurate interpretation.
11:09:20 From Otunte Otueneh to Everyone:
    Good morning from Nigeria
11:09:50 From Benjamin Farine - ICANN Org to Everyone:
    Reacted to "A kind reminder to s..." with 
11:10:30 From Bill Jouris to Everyone:
    <QUESTION> For Universal Acceptance, it seems important that new Registrants be able to register domain names in their own language.  Hon Lydia and Dr Catherine both mentioned that there are several thousand languages used in Africa.  Assuming that most of these languages are written using the Latin script, I note that the repertoire for domain names using that script was built from a total of only 200 langauges.  I wonder if there has been any thought given to calling upon ICANN to revisit that limitation to what is allowed?
11:12:03 From Abraham Selby to Everyone:
    Greetings Every, My name is Selby Abraham and I am happy to be here.
11:12:45 From Hadia Elminiawi (ALAC) to Everyone:
    @Sarmad Hussain - ICANN Org we hear you well, thank you for joining us today.
11:13:18 From Harish Chowdhary (हरीश चौधरी) to Everyone:
    Reacted to "@Sarmad Hussain - IC..." with 
11:13:58 From Harish Chowdhary (हरीश चौधरी) to Everyone:
    I hope this message finds you well. I am writing to offer my assistance and collaboration as a Universal Acceptance (UA) Ambassador, given my extensive experience in addressing UA challenges in India.          My work has involved engaging with diverse communities, advocating for policy changes, and implementing technical solutions to facilitate UA and Academic Research.          Understanding that AFRICA is currently navigating similar challenges, I would like to extend my support and share the insights and strategies that have proven effective in our context.           Email - Intern3tgovernance@gmail.com     Linkeidn - https://www.linkedin.com/in/harishchaudhary/
11:17:44 From Vikas Saraswat to Everyone:
    Reacted to "@Sarmad Hussain - IC..." with 
11:17:56 From Vikas Saraswat to Everyone:
    Reacted to "Greetings Every, My ..." with 
11:23:44 From Sabelo Zimu to Everyone:
    Reacted to "Greetings Every, My ..." with 
11:24:15 From Sarmad Hussain - ICANN Org to Everyone:
    We cannot hear Prof. Hilali in the zoom room
11:24:24 From Vikas Saraswat to Everyone:
    Voice is not audible
11:24:54 From Nabil Benamar to Everyone:
    Voice is hardly audible
11:25:30 From Harish Chowdhary (हरीश चौधरी) to Everyone:
    +1 @Nabil Benamar
11:25:36 From Satish Babu (ALAC) to Everyone:
    @Nabil, we can hear the audio well within the room...maybe there's a glitch somewhere...
11:26:02 From Abraham Selby to Everyone:
    <QUESTION> Very good step towards academic curricula  review. I want to ask that aside involving the universities does the working group also involve the various educational ministries and various accreditation Boards? I know they play key roles in the educational course development and how can we make the government involve in such process and changes. I am Abraham Selby and writing on my on own capacity. </QUESTION>
11:32:47 From John McCormac - HosterStats.com to Everyone:
    <question>Has any thought been given to training existing web developers on UA? They are the people who are developing websites and setting up e-mail services for their customers. The Web developed from the grassroots up and trying to approach the adoption of UA in a top down might not work as well.</question>
11:37:20 From Yeşim Saglam - ICANN Org to Everyone:
    Kind reminder to please use Q&A pod for your questions/comments, if you’d like them to be read aloud. Thank you.
11:38:32 From Marius Andriamparany (NIC-MG) to Everyone:
    Thank you so much Yaovi !
11:38:40 From Godsway Kubi to Everyone:
    Thank you @Yaovi Atohoun - ICANN Org for the clarification
11:38:46 From Yao Amevi Sossou to Everyone:
    Thank you
11:39:01 From Mistura to Everyone:
    Reacted to Thank you @Yaovi Ato... with 
11:40:45 From Yaovi Atohoun - ICANN Org to Everyone:
    Please feel free to test your email address using the link https://uasg.tech/eai-check/  .
11:41:11 From Abdeldjalil Bachar Bong,AFRALO Secretary to Everyone:
    Replying to "Please feel free to ..."

Thanks Yaovi
11:43:26 From Sarmad Hussain - ICANN Org to Everyone:
    @John McCormac - HosterStats.com  ICANN, UASG and the community organize training for technical community, e.g., through UA Day events annually.
11:43:57 From Sarmad Hussain - ICANN Org to Everyone:
    See https://UniversalAcceptance.day
11:44:19 From Sarmad Hussain - ICANN Org to Everyone:
    (Direct link: https://uasg.tech/ua-day/)
11:44:49 From Godsway Kubi to Everyone:
    Reacted to "Please feel free to …" with 
11:47:21 From John McCormac - HosterStats.com to Everyone:
    Replying to "@John McCormac - Hos..."

The problem is that many of these web developers won't be aware of those open days because the markets are very fragmented. Based on the monthly hosting market reports I do each month, there are thousands of small web developers with 50 to 100 domain names and many of them host outside the region. Where they host is important because a lot of those registrars may have very limited UA. The technical side of UA is only part of the equation.
11:48:39 From Mistura to Everyone:
    Reacted to Please feel free to ... with 
11:48:42 From Mistura to Everyone:
    Reacted to Please feel free to ... with 
11:48:43 From Mistura to Everyone:
    Removed a reaction from "Please feel free to ..."
11:51:54 From Eng. Mgolozi Peresi to Everyone:
    <QUESTION>
11:52:39 From Eng. Mgolozi Peresi to Everyone:
    <QUESTION> "In the context of promoting multilingualism and local content, what specific strategies have proven most effective in fostering community engagement and participation in Africa? Can you share any successful case studies or examples where these strategies have led to increased adoption of Universal Acceptance and enhanced internet inclusivity?"</QUESTION>
11:52:42 From Sarmad Hussain - ICANN Org to Everyone:
    Replying to "@John McCormac - Hos..."

There is a technical paper on UA Roadmap for registries and registrars; Please see https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/ua-roadmap-registry-registrar-systems-11jan23-en.pdf. Registrars may review it to support UA.
11:58:35 From Gopal Tadepalli to Everyone:
    Thank you. I am leaving now.
12:03:48 From Roberto Gaetano to Everyone:
    I disagree with Nabil when he says: “forget the language and focus on the script”. UA, and the great technical work on the scripts is fundamental, but the target is not to have a technically working DNS and email addresses, but a truly  multilingual internet
12:04:33 From Roberto Gaetano to Everyone:
    so the work on the scripts is of capital importance, but not sufficient
12:05:11 From John McCormac - HosterStats.com to Everyone:
    One of the problems with UA is that a lot of Africa region websites are hosted outside of the region and on US and European web hosters. The country markets in Africa are at different stages of development with some countries hosting a lot of their websites locally. It is an infrastructure issue that was covered well in the ICANN Africa DNS Market study.
12:05:41 From Satish Babu (ALAC) to Everyone:
    People use languages, and computer networks (and particularly the DNS) use scripts, so we need to consider both in their own contexts.
12:06:32 From Nabil Benamar to Everyone:
    Thank you @Yaovi Atohoun - ICANN Org
12:07:11 From Kossi Amessinou (Bénin) to Everyone:
    Thanks @Yaovi Atohoun - ICANN Org
12:07:18 From Kossi Amessinou (Bénin) to Everyone:
    I am Dr kossi Amessinou from Bénin
12:09:19 From Sarmad Hussain - ICANN Org to Everyone:
    UASG: https://uasg.tech
12:10:49 From John McCormac - HosterStats.com to Everyone:
    Thanks.
12:15:39 From Sarmad Hussain - ICANN Org to Everyone:
    Please feel free to share suggestions at UAProgram@icann.org
12:16:16 From Sarmad Hussain - ICANN Org to Everyone:
    Please find more training options on UA at https://www.icann.org/ua-training-en.
12:16:40 From Dave Kissoondoyal - ICANN AFRALO to Everyone:
    Thanks and bye to all
12:17:05 From Gabriel Bombambo(DRC) to Everyone:
    Merci et à bientôt
12:17:14 From Sabelo Zimu to Everyone:
    Thank you, exceptional session
12:17:30 From Marius Andriamparany (NIC-MG) to Everyone:
    Merci beaucoup ! C'est enrichissant !
12:17:58 From John McCormac - HosterStats.com to Everyone:
    Thanks and later all.
12:17:58 From Yeşim Saglam - ICANN Org to Everyone:
    Thank you all for joining. This session is now adjourned.

• No labels