February 2017 – SSAC Liaison Report

(as at 27 February 17)

1. SSAC MEETINGS.  Since my last report on 20 December 16, the SSAC cancelled its January Meeting but did hold its February meeting on 9 February.  The main agenda topics were the status of discussions on SAC088 and 089 (Extended Process Similarity Review Panel) and the proposed schedule for SSAC Leadership elections.

2. SSAC WORK PARTIES.  I am currently serving on the 2017 SSAC Membership Committee and attended three meetings on 6, 13 and 27 February. 

3. SSAC REPORTS. There has been one SSAC Report issued in the last two months: 

SAC090: SSAC Comment on Identifier Technology Health Indicators (20 January 2017) has been published on the SSAC documents web page at: https://www.icann.org/groups/ssac/documents  

The document notes that the ITHI is different from the gTLD Marketplace Health Index Proposal, for which the SSAC provided public comments in SAC077, and is an attempt to accomplish only the first step to define “health”. The ITHI presentation lists five areas of health with examples of real-life problems, but using metaphors that are sometimes stretched. The SSAC notes that this may not cover a comprehensive list of metrics that are essential for measuring the health of the DNS. A more detailed document rather than a set of slides would enable more substantive evaluation of this important topic. 

4. SSAC REPRESENTATION ON CCWG ACCOUNTABILITY. I attended 3 CCWG Meetings on 11 January and 8 and 22 February as well as 5 of the 6 meetings of the Diversity Sub-Group Meeting (on which I am a Participant) on 5, 25 and 31 January and 17 and 24 February.

• No labels