Please try to relate your questions to ALAC/At-Large priorities, including the At-Large Review Implementation, ATLAS III and current policy priorities.
ICANN64 Board Questions as well as their Requests
1. OUR QUESTIONS TO THE BOARD
1. We've all seen an increase in the use of alternatives internet "identities," whether as simple as using Facebook, Flickr, Opentable, etc. as a substitute for a website or building a site with a free service such as wordpress.com and wix.com. Further, evolution of search engine design are allowing for more content based searching, rendering second level domains less and less relevant. What is the Board's view(s) of the implications on the budget, and perhaps on ICANN priorities? What impacts do those challenges have on the role(s) that ALAC can play? (Holly)
2. The Subsequent Procedures working group is doing yeoman's work to try and address all of the issues raised during the 2012 round but seems to be operating with an unjustified sense of urgency. There is a lot to be done prior to any subsequent rounds and if we learned anything from the 2012 round, it was don't drive off a cliff while building your airplane. Is all the pressure from those whose business is domains or are there other considerations such as the budget that are driving this sense of urgency? (Jonathan)
3. Also on Subsequent Procedures, we were asked recently to comment on a proposal to have a brand round before anything else. On the surface, this seems innocuous and a benefit to the bottom line but given the failure to successfully engage both communities and under-served regions in the 2012 round, a "brand" round could easily become a "land grab" in which loosely held "brands" are used to scoop up all manner of strings without the possibility of contention from communities and the developing world. If "priority" should be given to anyone it seems those would be good candidates. How do we reconcile what seems to be a simple request with the complexity of engaging the broader internet community? (Jonathan)
4. The ALAC/At-Large community has the privilege to try and represent the interest of end users, the majority of whom are not registrants. Ironically, all parties focused on those non-registrant end users (i.e., GAC and SSAC) are advisory committees and, as such, are faced with peculiar challenges in the context of GNSO PDPs. In most instances, the lines drawn are not so bright but in the case of the EPDP on GDPR compliance, those non-registrant end users were given very little consideration. We are aware that the NCSG is operating from a principled, more ideological, position and that the contracted parties are potentially facing an extremely complex patchwork of privacy regimes and liability. However, we remain convinced that 3rd party access to registrant data is imperative to law enforcement, research and consumer protection in its many forms. The ALAC/At-Large community are aware of efforts by ICANN.org to take on some of the liability otherwise faced by contracted parties. Can you help us understand the likelihood of that outcome or any other efforts to ensure that the many do not suffer for the needs of the few? (Jonathan)
The following suggestions for the Board are not expected before the ALAC f2f meeting with the Board during ICANN64:
2.a Suggestions for the Board - to help them with the implementation of their new plans for 2021-25 Strategic Plan, FY20 Budget, 2year Budget planning, ICANN governance model
(Marita) Could the Board initiate special communications fora to ensure that the community is aware of any developments early on and has the opportunity to offer advice at early stages.
2.b Suggestions for ICANN Org - to aid the Board in their tasks above.
(Marita) Hold discussions with the community re: establishing priorities and managing workflow
2.c Suggestions for the ICANN Comunity - to aid the Board and ICANN Org, to achieve their tasks above.
(Marita) consider establishing some workflow studies.
look into software that could be used to improve efficiency in handling community input
3. How can ICANN improve trust and collaboration with its external allies and partners?
ICANN64 ICANN Board Chairman Questions
What does the Board see as the main achievements at ICANN64?
Could you please discuss the Board's priorities for 2019? In particular, we would be interested in hearing about the plans for the Governance project.
ICANN64 ICANN CEO Questions
- How does ICANN Org aim to address criticisms that the multi-stakeholder model is not only ineffective and inefficient but also costly in terms of timeliness and funding?
What does ICANN Org see as the main achievements at ICANN64? What are the key priorities as we head into ICANN65?
ICANN64 ccNSO Questions
- The ccNSO have asked for a general overview of At-Large and our priorities for 2019
- Giovanni Seppia who is the Head of their Strategic Operations WG will explain the ccNSO priorities for 2019
- Some discussion perhaps on progress with their Organisational Review?
ICANN64 GAC Questions
Subsequent gTLD procedures/Geo names
Follow-up to the GAC/ALAC statement at ICANN60
Reactions to President Macron's IGF speech
GAC/ALAC cooperation in capacity building.
ICANN64 GNSO Questions
(Holly) What impacts will changes to ICANN processes to comply with the GDPR have on other ICANN policies?
What lessons have been learned for GNSO policy development processes from the whole EPDP process?
(Marita) fostering a spirit of cooperation