Yesim Nazlar:Welcome to the Proposal for Multi-Year Planning of At-Large RALO Face-to-Face Meetings (Draft) held on Thursday, 21 April 2016 at 14:30 UTC

Yesim Nazlar:Agenda: https://community.icann.org/x/oUOAAw

Yesim Nazlar:Welcome Jimmy!

Jimmy Schulz:Hi Yesim, im quite early, I know... but I'm using a new Ubntu System and I wanted to check if everything works fine.

Yesim Nazlar:hope that it won't cause you any difficultes :)

Jimmy Schulz:no, it seems to work fine.

Jimmy Schulz:But I don't have a microphone, so I will dial in.

Yesim Nazlar:sure, please let me know if you'd like to receive a dial-out of you're fine to dial-in

Yesim Nazlar:Welcome Kaili!

Siranush Vardanyan:hi all. please cancel my dial out request

Yesim Nazlar:sure Siranush!

Maureen Hilyard:Glen's audio is noisy

Maureen Hilyard:He's driving I think

Yesim Nazlar:yes, he's out driving I guess

Kaili Kan:Hello, everybody!

Maureen Hilyard:He needs to turn his mike off or we are going to have the same problem as in the CS call

Daniel K. Nanghaka:hello

S:Sébastien

Jimmy Schulz:we are going to have fun today!

S:Sorry but I have a water leak at home and I have the plumber

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:I had the plumber earlier - sounds like a plumber day

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:echo echo echo

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:ahh -- worked out now.

Maureen Hilyard:@Cheryl I agree about the rise in attendance with even the occasional face to face contact

Ariel Liang:You may view the latest version of the Draft Proposal here: https://community.icann.org/x/MTGAAw (v1.3)

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO):The increased activity and attendance at the AP ( and perhaps other RALOs) Meetings and activities, is and can be a Metric, and one worth adding IMO  Yes Maureen,  in the APRALO case  we can state it has "more than doubled" since the last Summit and APRALO GA

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO):That last could be added as a quote other RALOs may also have similar or some  reortable activity as well...   If not the same we can stste "in some or several RALOs  there has been .. .. .. "

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:I remember that.

Vanda SCARTEZINI 2:me too

Siranush Vardanyan:agree with you, Cheryl and Maureen, and IMO online meetings should be strengthened with f-2-f meetings, and the support for participation at ICANN meetings from time to time is an insentive for many ALSs

Maureen Hilyard:Chat comments can be inserted by an editor after the meeting

Daniel K. Nanghaka:I agree to this

Vanda SCARTEZINI 2:it was called general assembly as i remember in mexico.

Vanda SCARTEZINI 2:Chery and I will certainly remember the after the meeting , thousand calls we needed to have at that time with LACRALo....

Heidi Ullrich:ATLAS I webpage: https://atlarge.icann.org/events/atlas1-en

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO):fine that is one way to shut me up

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO):disconnected

Yesim Nazlar:Redialing Cheryl

Heidi Ullrich:Notably, several WGs were established to plan the first ATLAS. These WGs were the source of many of today's At-Large WGs.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO):back

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO):yes  WG's  and specific topics  such as sinput into new gTLDs

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO):Yes it was a time of considerable change in how ICANN worked staffing and support wise...  

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO):that was a huge fight to even get support for thee ALAC  Members...

Vanda SCARTEZINI 2:Yes Heidi.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO): I thought  BTW  we had more than 80 attendeeds at the Mexico Summit  Need to check my preface in the Booklet we produced for it  for the actual nubers  I guess

Heidi Ullrich:The ATLAS Declaration was not explicitely planned to be developed. However, a group of volunteers worked to put the various outputs into a coherent whole which showed the extensive views of At-Large on various policies.

Heidi Ullrich:@CLO - I believe it was 92

Alan Greenberg:Not noe, few. We always have Edmon!

Alan Greenberg:noe=none

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO):Ohh and it was a cosequence of th activities for planning the 1st summit and the associated logistics that allowed us to evenn  hire some of the staff support that we are now blessed with and thta also supports the Policy work in ICANN more geerally...  Yes  thanks Heidi 92 was the nimber that I had in mind ;-)

Vanda SCARTEZINI 2: + 1 Cheryl... many remembers from Mexico and for us two the after meeting - almost every day calls to fix LAcaralo results, remember?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO):Oh indeed I do Vanda  INDEED!

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO):A  consequense of our Diversity  Holly

Vanda SCARTEZINI 2:totally agree about Chuck, Ram ... and others

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO):yup above and beyind  from a number of key players  including Chuck,

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO):Planning and Commitment to expendature

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO):Planning and consequential commitment(s) and budgets are a consequence of  ICANN Strategic Planning  and a degree of required agility, we need to be a clear part of the Longer term Lanning (Strategic and other ;-)

Vanda SCARTEZINI 2:the structure is very good from my view. clear and drive you to understand the reason and hope, to agree with the planning

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO):groundhog day  yes  OCL

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO):yup  it was a full human gestation  for ATLAS 1

Maureen Hilyard:@Alan.. I agree, we don't want to tell them that it would be too much work for us as volunteers to organise a summit

Vanda SCARTEZINI 2:impressive numbers like ours will certainly help

Maureen Hilyard:Line 169 - Enhanced volunteer morale and cooperation

Siranush Vardanyan:staff has all the data related to regional events and participation for APRALO and I assume for all RALOs - we were gathering the numbers for metrics purposes since 2014. So, it will not be a problem to gather all data in a short period of time.

Maureen Hilyard:In the importance of face to face meetings - should we also include the use of networking to also provide mentoring for newbie and leadership within our ICANN community structures  

Maureen Hilyard:especially to build capacity within ICANN

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO):Remember to look to the Reports from the ALAC Chirs on our activities over the years...

Daniel K. Nanghaka 2:I agree with @Maureen because Mentorship plays an important role for the New Leadership and new Members

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO):terms like "untold hours in key activities  accross ICANN work as well as a key and demonterable part of activities  such as in recent times ICANN Accountability and IANA Transition work

Maureen Hilyard:+1 Vanda

Maureen Hilyard:The benefits of these meetings need to be longer than the problems

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO):yup agree Vanda,  our ALS Members are often Key People in the local and Regional Internt Ecosystem(s)

Siranush Vardanyan:totally agree, Vanda

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO):and allied  ICAANN activities

Maureen Hilyard:Yes put  "synergy " in there somewhere

Siranush Vardanyan:in our case many ALSs are becoming key partners for GSE teams on regional level

Jimmy Schulz:yes

Siranush Vardanyan:GSE activities, I mean

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO):Also  the At-Large meoveent in ICAANN (AND ITS ASSOCIATED SUPPORT WITH GA's Summits etc.,  makes  ICAN "look good"  to the rest of the world ;-)

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO):sorry about the typos

Leon Sanchez:Hello everyone! Finally made it to the AC room

Heidi Ullrich:Steve's article in the WSJ: http://www.wsj.com/articles/broadening-the-oversight-of-a-free-and-open-internet-1461105102

Holly Raiche:@ Alan and OCL - really just a sentence to say - apart from ALAC hours- are the countless other hours people spend in other ICANN groups

Jimmy Schulz:looks great!

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO):they pay well for it yes OCL

Maureen Hilyard:its talking about organisational culture.

Maureen Hilyard:perhaps that why we need to stress the synergies...

Heidi Ullrich:Thanks, all.

Maureen Hilyard:Very productive meeting.

Siranush Vardanyan:thank u all and bye

Kaili Kan:Thanks.  Bye!

Leon Sanchez:thanks everyone!

Vanda SCARTEZINI:thank to you all - nice day. evening to all

Maureen Hilyard:Bye all

Jimmy Schulz:Bey all

• No labels