Gisella Gruber-White:Welcome to the At-Large Briefing Session: Enhancing ICANN Accountability on Thursday 5 June 2014 at 2000 UTC

Gisella Gruber-White:Agenda: https://community.icann.org/x/t6ThAg

CW:Sorry. Wrong call. Come back later

Holly Raiche:Morning everyone

Oksana Prykhodko:hi everyone

Siranush Vardanyan:good night from Armenia to all

Holly Raiche:Hi Siranush

Silvia Vivanco:Hello all

Siranush Vardanyan:hi, Holly

Leon Sanchez:hello everyone

Jordi Iparraguirre:hello!

cristiancasas-cetic-ajb-:buenas tardes para todos

Allan Skuce:Greetings

Mark (ISOC DSN):Greetings

Heidi Ullrich:Welcome, All !

Ali AlMeshal:Hello everone

Mark (ISOC DSN):Mark Urban

Ellen Strickland:HI all

Winthrop Yu:Hello All, Winthrop here

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:hi Mark :-) :-)

Fatima Cambronero:hello everyone

Terri Agnew:Allan Greenberg has joined

Evan Leibovitch:Hi all

Alan Greenberg:Is there an Adigo bridge? I am getting the message "Please wait for the subscriber"

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:yes @alan there is

Terri Agnew:Please state names for the interpreters and speak at a reasonable speed to allow for accurate interpretation

Ariel Liang:This is the At-large workspace for the PC: https://community.icann.org/x/qInhAg

Alan Greenberg:My problem. My mouse slipped and I clicked on the wrong meeting!

Terri Agnew:Welcome Dev

Terri Agnew:Welcome CW

Terri Agnew:Welcome Alejandro

Sebastien:If you do thepage by page it is OK

Alejandro Pisanty:Hi!

Holly Raiche:Suggest that there be a link in the wiki to both presentations

Alan Greenberg:Our leader is getting mighty aggressive!

Heidi Ullrich:@Evan, I've made you a presenter, so you also have control of the slides.

Mark (ISOC DSN):Point 1 - Should we create a short hierarchy of the three overarching requirements  (transparency, accountability, and Internet user community) and then build a list of issues?  the ARTS-2 report is labrynthine at best.

CW:Oh! some transition: 16 years. CW

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:good points and good plan IMO@Mark U

Mark (ISOC DSN):spent a week reading it last night...

Cheryl Langdon-Orr::-) :-) :-)

Holly Raiche:@ Mark - do you mean you spend a week reading it, or you read it all last night?

Mark (ISOC DSN):I read it last night.  It just FELT like a week... :-)

Holly Raiche:Not good news for those who plan to go through it!

Terri Agnew:Welcome Darlene

Darlene Thompson:Sorry to be late!

Mark (ISOC DSN):Point 2:  a short list of principles  as a summary for non-technical/policy wonks is essential.  ICANN suffers from an image problem: that it is an engineering/technical group, not an open community-directed governance body.  short, simple resources can help alleviate that and allow us to communicate ICANN's values effectively.

Alan Greenberg:@Evan, where is indication that Board is not going to follow ATRT2 Recs? They will only report back for the first time in London

Darlene Thompson:Nicely explained, Evan

Evan Leibovitch:alan, maybe you're right. But the Board could have better embraced the whole of the ATRT2 by now.

CW:not muted

Evan Leibovitch:at very least we need to resolve how the ATRT2 reults are handled before starting up something new

Alan Greenberg:@Evan. SInce we willl have a reply in London, I think that is exactly what we will be doing. For clarity, the process as planned is for ICANN to both evaluate recs AND scope out how they will be implemented along with the time-line they are comitting to. Then make the entire announcement.

Heidi Ullrich:@Christopher, would you like a dial out?

Alan Greenberg:Perhaps not the best way to do it, but that was the plan and announced intent.

CW:I believe that I am back on line with the meeting. OK?

Terri Agnew:@CW, please activate your mic again to be heard

CW:I think I have done that OK.

Terri Agnew:Welcome Mwendwa

Mark (ISOC DSN):agree, Cheryl!

Mwendwa Kivuva, Nairobi, Kenya:I had challenges with internet access :(

Terri Agnew:as a reminder, please mute mics/telephone when not speaking

Mark (ISOC DSN):I envision a statement of principles, a list of issues/challenges that currently exist re; the principle, and then a list a "to-do"s - WHAT not HOW.  

Leon Sanchez:it's very loud

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:yes @Mark that woulybe most useful indeed and facilitate better and increased engagement... IMO

Winthrop Yu:ok, better now

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:speak a little further out from your mic

CW:Let us try a dial-out: 34965793693

Mark (ISOC DSN):CW you are not muted

Terri Agnew:@CW will do

Mark (ISOC DSN):agree, Alejandro - Polysci experience is needed.

Holly Raiche:I still think  we need to be very clear about accountability for what, to whom and how - and  the NTIA role is larger than just one function - so principles, yes, but targetted

Mark (ISOC DSN):I like the for what, and to whom.  the HOW can be a pointer to applicable ATRTs recommendations.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Transparancy is key here also

Mark (ISOC DSN):@Holly

Mark (ISOC DSN):oooo ... good point cristian.  need to have a metric that define RESULTS

Oksana Prykhodko:dropped

Holly Raiche:@ Mark - yes, the how, butI"ll have to reread ATRT2 and the AoC tosee for what before the how - and in theend, themetric for results must include what happens if metrics are not met

Evan Leibovitch:The ALAC position has been clear: Implement the ATRT2. I'm not sure that any interim steps are possible untlil we know the extent to which ICANN chooses to follow its own RT's advice.

Mark (ISOC DSN):@Holly.  agree.  as CW and Cheryl pointed out, the environs have changed

Oksana Prykhodko:thank you!

Holly Raiche:@ Mark Yes, the spotllight is shining - which is not a bad thing

Holly Raiche:@ Mark - have you signed up for the Transparency and accountability session?

Evan Leibovitch:ICANN has faced the spotlight before, but it has done so with great words but little action underneath.

Mark (ISOC DSN):@Holly - not seen that one.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:to @CW's points. again Transparency is key at the component parts of ICANN level as well

Evan Leibovitch:This is why the reaction to the very specific recommendations of the ATRT2 are so critical to wath.

Holly Raiche:From what I have heard, already some countries are walking away from the NETMucdial statement

Dev Anand Teelucksingh:apologies all, have to leave the call, I'll read the transcript of this informative call

Dev Anand Teelucksingh:take care all

Holly Raiche:Thanks Dav

Darlene Thompson:Can't hear

Oksana Prykhodko:Great point! @cristiancasas! Would be happy to discuss with you my European IG ecosystem dashboard!

Maureen Hilyard:Hi all.. I am not connected to the mike. Cheryl has it covered :)

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:@understood Maureen - apologies for not seeing you

Terri Agnew:Welcome Peter

Oksana Prykhodko:dropped again(

cristiancasas-cetic-ajb-:disculpen me tengo que retirar a clases en la universidad

Terri Agnew:@Oksana, we are dialing back out to you

Holly Raiche:@ Alan - agree.  I like the call for higher level principles

Mark (ISOC DSN):agree!  the priciples drive everything you do.  otherwise you have to fight the same battle everytime anything new happens.

Alan Greenberg:#mark - yes, very true.

Garth Graham:To account is to answer.  In a global context, who get sthe answer?

Heidi Ullrich:Alejandro is on AC only.

Holly Raiche:@Garth - that is the big question

Heidi Ullrich:@Alejandro, we've lost you

Heidi Ullrich:could we call out to you ?

Sebastien:for me a new

Terri Agnew:Welcome Inam

inam:tha k

Alejandro Pisanty:At Large must be exemplary in its accountability and transparency. E.g. ALAC-elected Directors must have the highest accountability and transparency obligations - think "innkeepers wife"

Alejandro Pisanty:A weakly accountable At Large engenders suspicion against the whole of ICANN.

Holly Raiche:Hear Hear!

Alejandro Pisanty:For some important purposes At Large is one more competing party, not the leavening or balance to all others. It competes for resources like translation, travel funds, management overhead, people's time and energy, etc.

Heidi Ullrich:ATLAS II Thematic Group on Transparency and Accountablity: https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/ATLAS+II+Thematic+Group+on+ICANN+Transparency+and+Accountability

Sivasubramanian M:@Alejandro   That doesn't sound constructive

Sivasubramanian M:@Alejandro  sounds more like negative propaganda

Holly Raiche:Have to go - sorry.  A great call

Mark (ISOC DSN):@ Holly - Thanks

Ariel Liang:Yes, the agenda page: https://community.icann.org/x/t6ThAg

Heidi Ullrich:Agenda:

Heidi Ullrich:https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=48342199

Alejandro Pisanty:Siva I don't understand

Sivasubramanian M:@Alejadro  Your comments about At-Large that "At Large is one more competing party, not the leavening or balance to all others. It competes for resources like translation, travel funds, management overhead, people's time and energy, etc." in a subtle way amounts rather deprecating, so I said it did not appear constructive

Sivasubramanian M:Too much of negative criticsm in public lists, be it against ISOC Governance or At-Large creates the unintended consequence of a negaive effect and a negative impact.  Certain gaps, if well meant, are better discussed off-list, and in internal mail.

Ariel Liang:This is the thematic group information: https://community.icann.org/x/HCvRAg

Alejandro Pisanty:Siva, the perception exists and if we don't face it we are actually helping it grow

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:The Thematic WGs will address the points made here

Sivasubramanian M:@Alejandro  Doesn't help much if it is repeatedly and consistently highlighted

Sivasubramanian M:@Alejandro  It amounts to branding At-Large as in pursuit of matters petty

Oksana Prykhodko:@Olivier - which WG? New one?

Alejandro Pisanty:S, that's exactly the reason I mention "inn-keepers wife"

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:Thematic WGs Oksana. Face to face discussions in London

Peter Knight:I agree that NETmundial should be a starting point. Also the strategy panel on ICANN’s role in Internet Governance Ecosystem, Chair Vint Cerf http://goo.gl/vEm3Gr and the At-Large Future Challenges WG - R3 White Paper http://goo.gl/DdG7NS

Oksana Prykhodko:@CW+100!

Alejandro Pisanty:S, if, for example, an At Large org leader is speculating with domain names, or facilitating the market, he&she is in conflict

Alejandro Pisanty:S if this conflict is not stated it hurts everybody's perception of AL accountability

Sivasubramanian M:please name the AT Large org leader speculating on domain names,  I am curious

Evan Leibovitch:The problem is not that they are stated, Alejandro.

Evan Leibovitch:Statements of Interest enable us to see the conflicts, and there are quite a few.

Evan Leibovitch:The issue is that, having disclosed the conflicts, nothing changes.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:https://community.icann.org/x/qInhAg

Alejandro Pisanty:exactly, Evan, so the answerr to Siva is I may have doubts but there is no list of SoI's that keeps people straight

Evan Leibovitch:In ICANN, you can have as many conflicts as you like so long as you disclose

Ariel Liang:Yes

Ariel Liang:ariel.liang@icann.org

Alejandro Pisanty:Evan, except at some point yo ureally are disqualified from certain discussions and decisions

Peter Knight:see chat

Sivasubramanian M:@Alejando  You are exactly adding one accustation on top of another on AT Large

CW:Thankyou everyone. Good night

Peter Knight:I was notdialed in, joined late.

Pedro Veiga:Thank you all for the updated information

Sivasubramanian M:The deadline is 6th ?

Evan Leibovitch:This is ICANN. You are never disqualified so long as you disclose.

Leon Sanchez:I apologize for having to leave the call

Leon Sanchez:Thanks to all

Leon Sanchez:Great call

Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2:bye for now then

Ali AlMeshal:Thank to all

Oksana Prykhodko:thank you all, bye!

Ellen Strickland:Thanks very much

Winthrop Yu:Thank you All!

Fatima Cambronero:thanks to everyone, bye

Sivasubramanian M:Bye everyone

Ellen Strickland:Bye

Siranush Vardanyan:thanks and bye