The call for the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Group A will take place on Thursday, 29 November 2018 at 15:00 UTC for 90 minutes.

07:00 PST, 10:00 EST, 16:00 Paris CET, 20:00 Karachi PKT, (Friday) 00:00 Tokyo JST, (Friday) 02:00 Melbourne AEDT

For other times: https://tinyurl.com/y84nbwqj

PROPOSED AGENDA

1.  Welcome and Review of Agenda

2.  Update SOI’s

3.  Discussion of Public Comment on:

a.  2.2.1 - Continuing Subsequent Procedures

b.  2.2.2 - Predictability

4.  AOB

5.  Next Sub Group A Mtg: 6 December 20:00 UTC for 90 mins

BACKGROUND DOCUMENTS

** NOTE: The Google document analyzing the public comments for SubGroup A (which you should review before the call because it will be our discussion point today’s on (and subsequent) calls:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15zDdzlBwLCz5m2sNXui6N6pporbUq-lDFEwfh4rKi4A/edit?usp=sharing [docs.google.com]

RECORDINGS

Mp3

Adobe Connect Recording

GNSO transcripts are located on the GNSO Calendar

PARTICIPATION

Notes/ Action Items

Notes: 

1.  Welcome and Review of Agenda

- Due to objections to extending the meeting with late notice, this meeting will be 60 mins in length as originally planned

- The group may want to consider having 90 min long upcoming calls

2.  Update SOI’s

- No SOI updates

3.  Discussion of Public Comment on:

a.  2.2.1 - Continuing Subsequent Procedures

- 2.2.1.c.1 - In general, with the exception of one comment from Christopher Wilkinson and one comment from John Poole, the comments support the introduction of additional gTLDs. The GAC comment is not complete divergence, they want to make sure that before subsequent procedures start, there is adequate consideration of specific items. Some commenters have conditions that must occur prior to starting subsequent procedures.

From the chat:

Jim Prendergast: What about the SSAC comment - that was pretty clear

Kathy Kleiman: Can we make a list of what commenters want to see as "condition precedent" to New gTLDs?

Kathy Kleiman: That seems to be something coming up here, even at this early point

- Takeaway for full group: All but one comment support subsequent procedures. Some want conditions precedent. 

- Would be helpful to track what the gating issues are and are not - this may be a different list than "asks" from commenters

From the chat: 

Kathy Kleiman: gating are conditions precedents -- asks are groups seeking to promote their inerests (e.g., my applications first)

Steve Chan: @Jeff, I believe we might already have that. If I recall correctly, we asked the community for input on dependencies to starting a new round (upon a nudge from the Board)

Jeff Neuman: @Steve - if we have that, great.  If not, lets make sure to get the question to the BC

Anne Aikman-Scalese: Good idea.  Specifics will be helpful for the WG to weigh in.

- Follow up question to the BC - which reviews are they thinking about in this comment? Need to make sure that the community agrees with the BC about which reviews are on this list.

From the chat: 

Anne Aikman-Scalese: RE BC comment abour Reviews to be completed, the WG response has to be changed - it says Action Taken - none anticipated - Completed - but that has to be updated based on today's call

Kathy Kleiman: I think general comments of Council of Europe may fit here as well:

Kathy Kleiman: there is a call in their comments for solving "general frairness, transparency and accountability in ICANN processes"

Kathy Kleiman: Could those be added here too?

Kathy Kleiman: Question above to Steve Chan (continuing our discussion of commenters whose comments may be in a diferent format )

Steve Chan: @Kathy, sure, we can add in the CoE comment to 2.2.1, which looks like it might apply to other sections as well

Jeff Neuman: I agree that this is not really divergence as their position in cc2 was clear that they supported new gtlds

- Jeff's comment above in chat refers to characterization of GAC comment on 2.2.1.c.1 – the GAC wants to be satisfied about certain things.

- There is a difference between comments that say that certain studies should be completed  etc, and the GAC comment which says that the GAC wants to be comfortable. It is more of a feeling than a "tick the box" exercise. The comment is more of an opinion than a distinct task, therefore it shouldn't be a condition precedent.

- Christopher Wilkinson's comment expresses a belief and it does not point to evidence. It is hard to put it in any other context than the fact that this is an opinion. 

- Could Christopher Wilkinson's comment be rolled into what may be a recommendation for some other group to collect data.

- Potential question for the GAC -- ICANN already did a study on economic impact with cost/benefit analysis. A follow up question could reference this independent study and CCT-RT work and clarify what the GAC believes needs to be done in addition to that. 

From the chat:

Jim Prendergast: was that study done prior to the launch of 2012 round or post 2012 round?  I cant remember.

Steve Chan: @Jeff, if I recall, ICANN did two economic studies (prior to launch)

Jeff Neuman: @jim - I am pretty sure it was after as well

- When it comes time to take consensus, there has been discussion that certain larger groups will be weighted differently than other perspectives. Does this need to occur at the sub group level as well? 

From the chat: 

Jeff Neuman: Bumped up to full group

Jeff Neuman: the Full group will help weigh it

- In response to the perspective that GAC comments are opinion, the perspective was raised these opinions can become formal advice to the Board which can create bottlenecks. We need to treat GAC comments with enough respect to avoid those bottlenecks in the future.

- The comments are not being dismissed. Trying to think what the full WG can do to address the concerns. It is harder to know what the WG can do if a comment puts forward an opinion and doesn't provide criteria against which to measure. 

- We may not need to do any more than note that one comment diverged (from Christopher Wilkinson). 

- Agreement that in any summary of the feedback, there should be acknowledgement that the GAC comment is not a full endorsement. Some agreement that "divergence" is too strong and "concerns" is too weak a designation. Some support for designating this as "concerns" 

- "Concerns" may be used as the flag for conditions precedent

From the chat: 

Jeff Neuman: This is the study I may havebeen thinking about :  https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2015-05-29-en [icann.org]

Jeff Neuman: in 2015

Jim Prendergast: I think thats more awareness as opposed to cost benefit analysis

Jim Prendergast: but we should ask them directly

Jeff Neuman: This was phase 2:  https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2016-10-11-en [icann.org]

- John Poole comment can be characterized as divergence. 

2.2.1.e.1 - 

- ALAC provided a list that can be taken back to the full group.

- The comments under 2.2.1.e.1 should be incorporated into the full group discussion on metrics that is taking place

From the chat:

Kathy Kleiman: Can we queue this up to bring to the public as well?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (PDP CO CHair): Agree @Jeff 

Kathy Kleiman: Since it is a broad request -- the WG can create, and the pu8blic can add.

4.  AOB

- It would be good to encourage additional attendance by those who are not registries. Thanks to those who are participating who are not from the contracted parties. Diversity of participation is good for the group.

5. next call (invites will go out shortly): Thurs 6 Dec at 20:00 UTC for 90 mins

• No labels