Date: Wednesday, 20 August 2014

Time: 18:00 - 19:00 local time (for the time in various timezones click here)

Meeting Number: AL./0814/01

How do I participate in this meeting?  

Recording:    EN

Transcript: EN

Action Items:  EN    

AC Chat Transcript :  EN 

Adobe Connect Meeting Room: https://icann.adobeconnect.com/accessibilitywg/

Participants: Ken Hansen, Glenn McKnight, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Olivier Crepin Leblond, Gunela Astbrink, Klaus Stoll, Anthony Niiganni , Judith Hellerstein,

Apologies:

Staff: Silvia Vivanco, Heidi Ulrich, Joe Catapano, Ariel Liang, Laura Bengford, Terri Agnew, Kathy Schnitt

Call Management: Kathy Schnitt

AGENDA: 

Chair: Cheryl Langdon-Orr

1. Welcome, Attendance and Apologies.

2. Discussion of Prioritisation from the Primary Objectives for the Task  Force – Including an Identification of the Key  Short,  Medium and Long Term opportunities, from our original set as follows:

In todays call we will identify the agreed short term and more easily achievable tasks annotated below.

Building a culture of accessibility
    •       Disability awareness toolkit be developed
    •       Disability awareness training be provided
    •       Keynote speakers at ICANN meetings to include representatives from disability community
    •       Offer disability showcase events at ICANN meetings demonstrating various innovative ways people with disability use the Internet
    •       “Accessibility Champions” amongst ICANN staff be identified
    •       ICANN encourage employment of staff with disability
    •       Incorporate an accessibility trigger in policy development as well as ICANN processes and practices Increasing web accessibility
    •       ICANN websites meet internationally recognised W3C Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) v2.0 Level AA. This includes captioning of videos
    •       Development of ICANN policy on web accessibility
    •       Encouragement of ccTLDs to develop a best practice guide on web accessibility
    •       Encouragement of registries to use the best practice guide in relation to registrars - in particular to alert registrants to use WCAG v2.0 when developing websites.

TaskSWOTSMARTPriority/ Time Frame * / Level of Effort **
    Stocktake of what ICANN already does to address accessibility  1 / a:a / low level of effort confirm
    Disability awareness toolkit be developed - 1. general for ICANN staff and At-Large
    2. specific for registry/registrar community
      Part 1:  1 / a:b / medium effort
    Part 2:  2 / a:a / medium effort
    Stocktake of what the Domain Name Industry already does to address accessibility   3 / a:c / med effort
     Disability awareness training be provided  1 / b:c / medium effort
     Keynote speakers at ICANN meetings to include representatives from disability community  1 / a:a / low effort
     Offer disability showcase events at ICANN meetings demonstrating various innovative ways people with disability use the Internet  2 / a:a / medium effort
     “Accessibility Champions” amongst ICANN staff be identified  1/ a:a / low effort
     ICANN encourage employment of staff with disability  2 / b:c / medium effort
     Incorporate an accessibility trigger in policy development as well as ICANN processes and practices
      2 / b:b / medium effort
    ICANN websites meet internationally recognised W3C Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) v2.0 Level AA. This includes captioning of videos  1 / a:c / high effort
     Development of ICANN policy on web accessibility  1 / a:a / low effort
     Encouragement of ccTLDs to develop a best practice guide on web accessibility  3 / a:c / medium effort
    Encouragement of registries to use the best practice guide in relation to registrars - in particular to alert registrants to use WCAG v2.0 when developing websites  3 / b:c / medium effort

Ensuring minimal barriers to participation and engagement with ICANN processes and practices
    •       ICANN to consider adapting/adopting other existing accessibility meeting guidelines
    •       ICANN meetings will where possible and practical be accessible for people with disability including real-time captioning and other facilities on request such as sign language interpreters and Braille materials
    •       Communication tools such as web conferencing be as accessible as possible and practical
    •       All ICANN information material is produced with good colour contrast and with sans serif fonts in an adequate size.

TaskSWOTSMARTPRIORITY
     ICANN to consider adapting/adopting other existing accessibility meeting guidelines  1 / a:a / low effort
    ICANN meetings will where possible and practical be accessible for people with disability including real-time captioning and other  facilities on request such as sign language interpreters and Braille materials  1 / a:b / medium effort
     Communication tools such as web conferencing be as accessible as possible and practical  1 / a:c / medium effort
     All ICANN information material is produced with good colour contrast and with sans serif fonts in an adequate size.  2 / b:c / medium effort

Key:  

Priority 1 - Highest, 2 - Secondary, 3 - Tertiary;  N/A = Not (reasonably) Achievable 

Level Of Effort  marked using  a Star Rating  * (1) Low Effort, ** (2) Moderate/Medium, or *** (3) Higher / but still Reasonable Effort Required,  N/A = Not (reasonably) Achievable 

Time Frame for Start/Completion of Project** a.  less than 6 months;  b. 6-18;  c. 18 months or longer

ALSO need to add Mind mapping and other 'visualisations' and ICANN based reference, papers policies etc., link  to other frames.

3. Role of WG how it should act jointly and severally - possible use of Sub or Specialty (Advisory/Focus) Groups

4. Outreach and engagement opportunities for the focus, reporting or showcasing of Best Practices in Accessibility for ICANN.

5. LA ICANN Meeting.

6. Review of any Action Items.

7. Next meeting.

4 Comments

1. I have made a start on classifying the various actions into priorities, length of project time and level of effort. I'll look forward to hearing everyone's opinions about these suggested priorities.

Firstly, we may wish all the actions to be top priority and of course, that's not possible. I see the accessibility work with the domain name industry as extremely important but it is a key end goal. It's best that ICANN have its own accessibility processes in place first and act as a model for the industry.

Secondly, there may be confusion about priority level and length of project time. It might be better to clarify whether Priority one actions also mean starting them in under 6 months. I'm presuming that's the case. However, then Priority 2 actions would start later but take either under 6 months, 6-18 months or longer to complete. I got confused as I was completing the table so there is inconsistency.

A suggestion for classification would be:

Priority (1, 2 or 3)

Project start: eg Q3 2014, Q4 2014, Q1 2015 etc

Project length: under 6 months, 6-18 months, 18-36 months

Level of effort: low, medium, high

1. Thank you Gunnela  on your  efforts to organize the  core tasks into  a go forward  fashion. 

As all projects  the  devil is in the details  on who will do the  heavy lifting.  My major concern here is  the  ICANN  responsibilities which have been treated as  low  priority.  It's really strange to me that  ICANN isn't treating this as  High priority since  we are in the midst of IANA transition and proof of  multistakeholderism  is something  that would curry favour.  

Another  major concern is the  budget allocation to create resources     

2. I have posted a guide that I had received from a blind user which can be a start for our accessibility toolkit. It focuses on remote participation14-08-10 Remote Participation and Visually Impaired.docx

3. Here is a  snapshot of the  www.icann.org  site  using www.achecker.ca  which enables you to see if any compliance issues are on the  ICANN  website in terms of  W3C

You can see the  number of errors.  If you add the  url in your own browser it  details exactly the errors 

I shared this  tool with Laura  today