Kathy Schnitt:Welcome to the ICANN Accessibility Taskforce Call on Wednesday 20 August 2014 at 18:00 UTC.

Kathy Schnitt:Agenda: https://community.icann.org/x/EcXhAg

Kathy Schnitt:Welcome Ken

Ken Hansen (Help Them Hear):Thank you Kathy!

Glenn McKnight:Calling in

Glenn McKnight:test

Kathy Schnitt:Welcome Glenn

Judith Hellerstein:Sorry to be late

Joe Catapano:Thanks!

Glenn McKnight:A summary  video of our  Singapore  meeting 

Glenn McKnight:http://youtu.be/w3GfgobNCpk?list=UUJA15ByE_VwRwN6gGjZhWTg

silvia.vivanco@icann.org:Hello all

Judith Hellerstein:Yes it was agood meeting

Glenn McKnight:@judith  i will speak after this call on the CROPP meeting

silvia.vivanco@icann.org:We will be happy to support you with any and all requests

Judith Hellerstein:In building a culture of disability we also need to talk about the inabiliity of blind or low eye sight in using the chat, see the presentations and be on the call at same time

Glenn McKnight:Its critical  that our WG  has  reps  from these communities and get their  feedback

Glenn McKnight:Item One  Toolkit, We  need to define  what  it consists of.  ie.  Videos, slideshows , resources  etc

Ken Hansen (Help Them Hear):Glenn +1 on direct involvement from those in the community

Glenn McKnight:Item Two   Training  within the ICANN  Academy?

Judith Hellerstein:videos and slide shows with many pictures are not good for people who are blind

Laura Bengford:Agree with timeframes, maybe also include level of effort (LOE)

Ken Hansen (Help Them Hear):Timeframes are good

Judith Hellerstein:I think 6-8 months is medium and short term could be 3-4

Glenn McKnight:Some  things  are  immediate.  or  low  hanging fruit  others  are very tough

Glenn McKnight:hence  quite  long

Laura Bengford:Maybe LOE is Very High, High, Medium, Low

Judith Hellerstein:where is the wiki page? Do you have the address?

Anthony Niiganii (MBE):https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/At-Large+Ad-Hoc+ICANN+Accessibility+Working+Group

Glenn McKnight:If you recall that  ATLAS  2  Declaration  stressed  accessibility to the disabled  communities

Judith Hellerstein:no I am not happy

Judith Hellerstein:@anthony that is not the wiki that Cheryl is using

Laura Bengford:https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/ICANN+Accessibility+Taskforce+2014.08.20

Glenn McKnight:Provide  the  direct  policy/creditials

Gunela Astbrink:We have some references already in the Singapore wiki workspace and can include the ATLAS II reference

Laura Bengford:Trying clicking refresh on the wiki page and it will reflect Cheryl's updated notes.

Ken Hansen (Help Them Hear):One good short term task would be to take an inventory of what ICANN already does to address accessibility.  Do we already have that?

silvia.vivanco@icann.org:We are getting transcripts within 1 - 2 weks

silvia.vivanco@icann.org:depends on whether the transcript is translated

silvia.vivanco@icann.org:if translated it may  take longer

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:@Ken: good idea, like a snapshot of what's already there now

Glenn McKnight: I think  ICANN  focused only on  the  Website

Glenn McKnight:ie  compliance to W3c.   I don't  think the section 508  or  ADA compliance has not  been  assessed

Heidi Ullrich:+1 CLO, Would you like the idea of a suggstion page to be an AI?

Judith Hellerstein:I agreee with Glenn

Glenn McKnight:Some  stuff  is much easier  but  other  stuff  takes  real effort and money, 

Judith Hellerstein:sorry I had forgotten to lower my hand

Glenn McKnight:ICANN is a  US  Based  501C  and is obligated to compliant

Judith Hellerstein:+1 gunella

Judith Hellerstein:+1 Glenn

Judith Hellerstein:yes they need to be compliant with the US ADA

Judith Hellerstein:captioning is a must and then it is really easy to turn the captioning into transcripts

silvia.vivanco@icann.org:@ Judith we are asking ICANN staff re the possibiltity to add captioning

silvia.vivanco@icann.org:Kathy will take care of audio for Ken

Judith Hellerstein:Hi ken perhaps you need to refresh your page

Kathy Schnitt:I am checking with Ken to see if we can dial out to him and also to give him directions to speak via ac

Ken Hansen (Help Them Hear):Think I am on now

Glenn McKnight:@Gunella   I missed  most of your  comment due to crazy  skype chat  interuptions

Judith Hellerstein:+1 Ken

Glenn McKnight:@ ken  they  should  be provided in the toolkit  the  best practices to implement

Glenn McKnight:A proper  assessment of the venue

Judith Hellerstein:Captioning is a short term priority

Gunela Astbrink:The wider stocktake would need clear guidelines

Glenn McKnight:Special  efforts to those  attending  the main event  with special needs to given  priority to the hotel

Anthony Niiganii (MBE):+1 Ken about registars and registrants...is ICANN able to identify any that are disability related, or specific, business?

Judith Hellerstein:as is a disability awareness toolkit to promote that all calls are accessible

Gunela Astbrink:And I agree would be medium / long term but the devt of the guidelines could be short term

Glenn McKnight:@Gunella  the  toolkit can provide  the simple steps for implementation for the registrars

Gunela Astbrink:We are then talking about a broader toolkit

Glenn McKnight:yes

Glenn McKnight:Specific toolkit

Gunela Astbrink:@Glenn. important points

Judith Hellerstein:we can have several toolkits

Glenn McKnight:yes, the  documents  can be tailored to the  constitutencies

Judith Hellerstein:one can be one on how to do remote conferencing and use of the share screen, chat, and also participating with questions

Glenn McKnight:The  simple  video step by step  instruction is  better than  a long  drawn out  document

Judith Hellerstein:Yes but a video is not good for blind or low vision

Anthony Niiganii (MBE):+1 Glenn...I agree, even short podcasts or audio

Glenn McKnight:Your  right

Judith Hellerstein:so we may need both

Ken Hansen (Help Them Hear):Important to make short term incremental improvements rather than wait to have something complete

Glenn McKnight:yep

Glenn McKnight:It's  a progression

Glenn McKnight:I hope to  be  back at the  NTEN event in March  and I am  outreaching to the technology community  in the Non Profit  sector

Gunela Astbrink:Yes

Anthony Niiganii (MBE):Who is attending the LA meeting?

Gunela Astbrink:My other short term suggestion is for accessibility meeting guidelines

Glenn McKnight:I fear that  alot of   government  compliance  on disability is  watered down to bare minimum  and  not  progressive.   We need to  be  the shiny example

Judith Hellerstein:+1 Gunella yes guideline would be great

Judith Hellerstein:+1 glenn

Glenn McKnight:Guidelines  with teeth

Judith Hellerstein:yes they need teeth

Glenn McKnight:Look at the equity hiring   or  equity contracting  legislation 

Klaus Stoll:Sorry, I need to move to another meeting. Thanks for a good meeting.

Ken Hansen (Help Them Hear):Will be there

Laura Bengford:I'm in LA so I'll be there!

Ken Hansen (Help Them Hear):Thank you all

Gunela Astbrink:I won't be there

silvia.vivanco@icann.org:Staff will schedule your meeting

Judith Hellerstein:yes

Anthony Niiganii (MBE):that works!

silvia.vivanco@icann.org:we are scheduling at the  moment

Heidi Ullrich:Tues or Wed is best atm

Judith Hellerstein:i will not be in LA

Anthony Niiganii (MBE):doodle for two weeks

Heidi Ullrich:Remote participation will be available

Ken Hansen (Help Them Hear):2 weeks

Gunela Astbrink:2

Glenn McKnight:i  will be in LA

Judith Hellerstein:2 is fine

Glenn McKnight:2

Anthony Niiganii (MBE):Kinanaskomitin Everyone!! Honk, Honk, Honk!

silvia.vivanco@icann.org:Thank you all bye byhe

Gunela Astbrink:Thanks, Cheryl. Bye everyone

Judith Hellerstein:bye

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:Thanks everybody

Glenn McKnight:bye

Heidi Ullrich:Bye!

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:on another call now can someone read to the record the high points from chat for me please

• No labels