• Maureen Hilyard

THEME:

Celebrating APRALO's Regional Diversity

GOALS:

SHOWCASE TIMELINES:

WhatWhoTime (min)/Observations
Welcome Music (tones of Chinese music)Maureen to organize18:55-19:00 
Welcome and IntroductionsChair of APRALO, Holly Raiche19:00-19:01 (1)Welcome
Speaker 1Chair of the ALAC, Olivier Crépin-Leblond19:01-19:03 (2)Introduction of Fadi Chehadé
Opening WordsPresident and CEO - Fadi Chehadé19:03 - 19:07 (4) 
Speaker 2Chairman of the Board - Steve Crocker19:07-19:09 (2) 

Introduction of APRALO ALSes (by sub-region)

Each Sub-Region (starting with Chinese-speaking ALSes)

19:09-19:14 (5)

Each Sub-Region gives brief introduction

Wrap-upChair of APRALO, Holly Raiche19:14-19:15 (1)Thank everybody for coming and acknowledgement of volunteers.
ALS Videos play in the foyerMaureen to organize19:15-19:20 
 Total Speaking Time15 mins 
APRALO ALS Displays and Reception 19:15-21:00 

TASK SCHEDULE:

12 noon to 18.30pm

Set up display areas

218:55-19:00Begin Music

19:00-19.01

Welcome to the APRALO Showcase by the Chair of APRALO, Holly Raiche

419:01-19:03Welcome to ALSes from Head of ALAC - Olivier Crepin Leblond

19.03-19.07

19:07-19:09

Welcome to the ALSes  of all RALOs by ICANN CEO - Fadi Chehade

Welcome to the ALSes  of all RALOs by ICANN Chairman of the Board - Steve Crocker

19.09-19.14

Welcome to the ALSes (starting with Chinese-speaking ALSes)

819:14-19:15Wrap-up

19.15-19:20

19:15-21:00

ALS Videos played in the foyer

Drinks and nibbles  offered at various stations around the Showcase venus, as ICANN participants walk around the APRALO ALS displays and chat with ALS member

21:00+

ALSes pack up their displays

• No labels

7 Comments

1. Hi everyone, sorry I'm late putting this online.

Edmon, Pavan and I have had some conversations. Some suggestions have been made but they have yet to be confirmed by the local committee. I haven't had any feedback on how the ideas have been received.

• we'd like the APRALO showcase to be part of the Welcome Reception. Showcasing the diversity of the region could be quite dramatic when you think of the countries that APRALO ALSes come from.
    • A suggestion is perhaps to introduce the showcase with a short video or some visual representation - still TBD - but no speeches (smile)
    • Then we could direct participants to a display hall where the ALSes can have their own booths to demonstrate and/or display not only what is happening in their countries with regards to ICANN -related development, but also things cultural - again to demonstrate the diversity of the region. But it also gives ALSes an amazing opportunity to demonstrate what they are trying to achieve in their countries.
    • Pavan has sent out invitations to ALSes. Apart from PICISOC, we have two other ALSes, in the Cooks and in Niue. I have nominated my Deputy Chair to represent CIIAG in Beijing, and the Niue rep is also a PICISOC Board member. I am hoping that PICISOC will also receive an invitation and that I will be able to take that one. I will have to ask Pavan where it went.  The opportunity for PICISOC to showcase  across-the-Pacific-region is tremendous. We have already discussed this and are looking into what we might be able to do.
    • BUT I do need some feedback from the others. .
  2. The contributions below are ideas as I have discussed with my local colleagues, but I would appreciate some comments from other members of the Showcase team, especially from the Beijing team, as to whether the logistics are practical. Only then can we establish some timeline activities.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INTRODUCTION TO APRALO AT THE OPENING

1. The recommendation for the showcase to be held in conjunction with the opening ceremony requires further information before we can plan for Asia Pacific ALS participation, if this is going to be required .

2. Edmon is confirming with CNNIC if we are going to be allowed to include a short visual presentation within the opening ceremony programme (perhaps right at the end, just before we invite them to the APRALO showcase in the Display Hall.)
    3. It was originally planned that this video presentation would introduce ICANN participants to the diversity of the APRALO region and their activities  It would be great if this is still being considered an option, tand to be able to seek input from the ALSes from within the region, even if they are coming to Beijing or not.

APRALO SHOWCASE

1. Pavan is still confirming the ALSes that are planning to attend, so that we can start communicating with them about how they might be able to contribute in the APRALO showcase.
    2. I would suggest that the Showcase happens directly after the Opening of the conference.
    3. Having been introduced to the region during the OPENING, participants can then move to the Showcase area which will be set up with  an arrangement of booths belonging to individual or groups of APRALO ALSes.
    4. We need to know if such an area is available, and how much space would be available for booths to be set up, allowing people to wander between them. A timetable of 5 minute presentations made by ALSes will enable ICANN participants to learn a little more about each ALS.
    5. Example: the 3 Pacific ALSes plan to coordinate their displays and demonstrations to show the diversity even within our own sub-region- cultural artefacts, posters, photographic display, audio-visual presentation about the different Pacific islands and how we are developing the internet in our (sub)region,

6. Pavan mentioned that one ALS has asked about making a presentation. Any ALS that wants to make a presentation should be able to do so. But the start of each presentation will be timetabled so that another ALS team can begin their presentation at an appointed time, and encourage people to move around all the booths.

7. The ALS booths should highlight our RALO's diversity - displaying both culture and IT initiatives,  What is happening in Japan, India, Pakistan and the Cook Islands will be quite different, and it would be good for  ICANN decision-makers as well as other ALSes to see the range of representation that exists within our RALO.

8. I am envisioning that this showcase will last at least 2 hours..but the hope is that there will be lots to see, and lots of interaction between ICANN participants and APRALO ALS presenters, and as a consequence more understanding about our region and how decisions might impact on ALSes within the region.

3. PROGRAMME FOR SHOWCASE PREPARATION

By the end of Feb

Each ALS will indicate their intention to create a display as an individual ALS or as a team (Chinese and Pacific ALSes already organising to work together)

By March 4

The local   logistics team will explain what basic equipment will be available for each designated display area

By March 4

Although we would like to keep speeches to a minimum (mainly for brief welcomes from Fadi and  selected others), any ALS who wishes to say something must notify Maureen so that it can be included into the programme.

By March 11

Each ALS display team will request what additional equipment will be required for their display. This may include:  data   projector and screen, extra tables, extension cords, multiplugs, etc

On April 8

From lunchtime   Monday (after the main opening ceremony) - ALSes  will enter the  showroom to set up their display areas.  Each ALS will be required to   bring whatever they require  to decorate their display area. 

On April 8

Nibbles and drinks will be stationed nearby, and ICANN participants will be encouraged to talk with individual ALSes as they move around the displays. The Showcase is planned to be held on Monday evening, 7pm-9pm.

On April 8

ALSes will be encouraged to take photographs of themselves and their displays, so that we can create a montage of the APRALO ALS  Showcase on a display board positioned somewhere prominently during   ICANN week… and later add the photos to the online record of the week.

4. SHOWCASE PROGRAMME - Monday 8 April

12 noon to 6.30pm

Set up display areas

7pm-7.05pm

Welcome to the APRALO Showcase by the Chair of APRALO, Holly Raiche

7.05-7.10pm

Welcome to the ALSes  of all RALOs by ICANN CEO - Fadi   Chehade

7.10-7.15pm

Welcome to ALSes from Head of ALAC - Olivier Crepin Leblond

7.15-7.20pm

Welcome to the ALSes from the Chinese ALS Community - ?

7.20-9.00pm

Drinks and nibbles  offered at various stations around the Showcase venus, as ICANN participants walk around the APRALO ALS displays and chat with ALS members

9pm+

ALSes pack up their displays

5. Just a little catchup…

ALS feedback: slowly starting to get feedback from ALS members.  Starting to put together the “roll call” presentation

Showcase:  Requests

• display boards (number to be confirmed by end of month).
    • TV screen or large monitor for DVD presentation (number TBC)

Capacity Building:

• Newcomer session on Sunday – start time still to be confirmed
    • Session to include a 90 minute session on a Multi-Stakeholde Model interactive simulation
    • Proposed programme for Sunday (From Janice)

AM Session:

• Presentation 1: Welcome and Introduction to Multi-Stakeholder Model / 9-930
    • Presentation 2: Global Stakeholder Engagement: Gov’t, Non-Govt’ and role of Regional VPs / 930 - 1015
    • Multi-Stakeholder Model Session / 1015-1200*
    • Break out sessions to learn more about each community group / 1200-1230

PM Session:

• Presentation 3: SO AC Engagement re: Policy Development 101 / 1330 - 1415
    • Presentation 4: DNS Operations 101 – IANA / 1415-1500
    • Presentation 5: Security Stability and Resiliency 101 / 1500-1530
    • Presentation 6: New gTLD and other cool stuff in the DNS today/ 1530-1615

Closing Presentation: Engagement Tools (Remote Participation, MyICANN and Confluence Wiki) 1615-1700

Maureen

6. Hi Holly

Unfortunately I can’t make it on the 19th (which is actually the 18th in my world). I think I indicated on the Doodle that I wouldn’t be available on that date.  It’s my birthday J and my daughter and her family are arriving on Rarotonga today for a family gathering which we had planned for that night (before the date was changed).  Sorry.

1.Showcase: The only real issue I have is the presentations that people want on the main monitors – like the ROLL CALL, and the short videos which we wanted to be shown on the main screen. I realise that Mat and Gisella will need these asap after our arrival, to check for formats, and loading them etc. We will need a meeting place and time so that ALSes can pass their presentations over.. there aren’t too many.

Gisella has organised tables and white table cloths, and labels with ALS names so that they can be located. and then we could have them on our display tables.  We just need to make sure that there are enough power points/multiplugs/extension cords to cater for those who are going to be using their laptops for presentations.

I would suggest that the ALSes be organised in order of their country or region so that they can be located.. it will be easier than remembering names, even if these are being continually scrolled for everyone to be able to recognise APRALO ALses. We in the Pacific are going to be grouped together. I know Karaitiana from NZ is keen to join us. We are very inclusive, anyone is welcome J).

Food and drink is being organised by Staff (?)   

2. ALS Newcomers meetings: Janice said that she would send me a copy of the final programme for the Fellowship and Newcomers sessions when it was all set. Janice is looping in with Heidi so Heidi may bring this to the meeting. 

3. Promotional items: are looking OK.. yes, pity about the fans.. I was really looking forward to those.

4. ALS Hotel: Pua and I will be arriving in Beijing at 6am on the Saturday, and I would like to be able to tell the ALSes which hotel we are staying at (there are two addresses for the Johnson Hotel). Can we have that confirmed so I can let the others know.

5. A BIG thank you to Pavan for helping me get the feedback I need for the APRALO roll call from the stragglers… its looking really great..

Maureen

7. Because you highlight what seems to be an on-going problem with the logistics of screens and data projectors, etc in the foyer area where the ALS display tables are going to be situated, I have had to rethink how we view the ALS video presentations.

Being relegated to the ALAC room in order to be "big-screened" was not a satisfactory option, taking people away from the Foyer area.

Therefore I would suggest that straight after the speeches, which are going to be presented in the ALAC room anyway, you should thank everyone for coming, and then introduce the ROLL CALL.

The ROLL CALL presentation takes about 5 minutes introducing the 35 APRALO members… it is important that everyone sees this because (not only has it taken me 3 months to put it together) but it will give everyone an introduction to the ALSes, who they are and where they are from.  They look so good, everyone HAS to see it!

From then on, everyone can move into the foyer area, and any individual ALS presentations can be viewed from their display tables. For this reason, I would like to make sure that there are extension cords and multiplugs available for those who are requiring connection to a power source. At the moment about 6 groups (including ISOC-Au) have indicated that they have presentations, and they will be spread around the room so that people can move around to the various presentations.

We in the Pacific are requiring a couple of display boards for draping with a material backdrop for posters and a screen for a small data projector we may need. Perhaps some small speakers could be made available?

Because these are alternative arrangements, then if others need special equipment please contact me asap..

Maureen