IMPORTANT: The process for posting nominations is as follows: 1) Nominations, including self-nominations must be made directly to their RALO’s mailing list; followed by 2) Nominations must be posted to the 2018 ALAC and RALO Elections, Selections and Appointments Workspace or by sending a note to At-Large staff.

This call for nominations was be issued on  Monday 23rd April 2018 for the various elected/selected positions within NARALO. This call is being made in accordance with the NARALO Operating Principles (https://community.icann.org/x/Z44i).

All nominees are expected to submit a brief statement explaining why they believe they are a suitable candidate and also must complete or update their Statement of Interest (see: At-Large New SOIs Workspace).

There are four positions up for elections/selection this year: one Chair, one Secretariat, one ALAC Member and NARALO NomCom delegate

These are detailed below.  If you would like to nominate someone or to put yourself forward for selection, please post on the NA-DISCUSS Mailing List (na-discuss@atlarge-lists.icann.org) - previous nominations will not be considered. 

OPEN  POSITIONS

NARALO Chair: Currently held by Eduardo Díaz. Eduardo is not term limited. Current term ends at the end of the 2018 Annual General Meeting (AGM).  

NARALO Secretariat: Currently held by Glenn McKnight.  Glenn is not term limited. Current term lasts until the end of the 2018 AGM.

ALAC  Representative:  Currently held  by Alan Greenberg.  Alan is not term limited. Current term lasts until the end of the 2018 AGM.

NARALO  NomCom Delegate: The current NA delegate to the 2018 NomCom is Leah Symekher. Leah is not term limited. Current term last until the end of the 2018 AGM. 

TIMETABLE 

Revised Timetable to synchronize with the ALAC Timetable: 

ALAC Selection Timetable for 2018 ALAC Members*:

.** NOTES ON NOMINATIONS 

1. All nominees are expected to submit a brief statement explaining why they believe they are a suitable candidate and must also complete or update their Statement of Interest (see: At-Large New SOIs Workspace).
  2. No one who is currently serving on the Nominating Committee may be nominated for the ALAC. See https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/governance/bylaws-en#VII-8

Please note that the timetable below was previously announced. However, it is no longer in effect. The ALAC Timetable was agreed to be followed during the NARALO Monthly call on 14 May 2018. 

Date                      

Event

23 April 2018

Nominations* open for four positions:

Chair

Secretariat,

ALAC Representative

and NomCom Delegate

ROP 6.1.2: "Candidates for office may be an Individual Member or a member of an ALS Member, and must be resident in North America."

4 May 2018

Nominations Close. ROP 6.4.1: "The nomination period shall be no fewer than ten (10) working days."

11 May 2018

Deadline for Nomination Acceptance. ROP 6.4.2: "Nominations other than self-nominations must be accepted within 7 days of the close of the nomination period."

14 May 2018Elections, if required, open.

15 May  2018

NARALO Special Purpose Call on NARALO 2018 Elections: "Get to Know the Candidates" -  May 15 @ 21:00 UTC

https://community.icann.org/x/hRQFBQ

18 May 2018

Elections,opens

24 May 2018Election closes
25 May 2018Elections results are published.
AGM (ICANN 63)

Newly elected ALAC Members and RALOs Leaders shall be seated at the ALAC Wrap Up Session during the 2018 AGM.

*NOTES ON NOMINATIONS  

1. All nominees are expected to submit a brief statement explaining why they believe they are a suitable candidate and must also complete or update their Statement of Interest (see: At-Large New SOIs Workspace).
  2. No one who is currently serving on the Nominating Committee may be nominated for the ALAC. See https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/governance/bylaws-en#VII-8  

NARALO CHAIR - Two years term: 2018 AGM - 2020 AGM * Note below

Nominee

Nominated and Supported by

Date Nominee Accepted

Nominee's StatementSOIResults
Eduardo DiazGlenn McKnight

I would like to get the opportunity to continue leading the region into identifying, understanding and discussing ICANN's most pressing policy issues affecting end-users, continuing supporting our outreach efforts to bring-in more members to our all-ready top notch membership, and providing a good educational program geared to understand policy issues and to keep all of us abreast of what is important and what is not.SOIEduardo Diaz by acclamation

NARALO ALAC MEMBER - Two years term: 2018 AGM - 2020 AGM

Nominee

Date Nominee Accepted

Nominee's StatementSOIResult
Jonathan ZuckAlan Greenberg

StatementJonathan Zuck SOI

Marita Moll
Judith Hellerstein

Glenn McKnight

Judith Hellerstein's Statement of Interest
Matthew RantanenJohn LapriseDeclined

Marita MollShelley Robinson

StatementMarita Moll SOI
Loris TaylorMatthew RantanenDeclined

SInce there are more than two candidates for the ALAC Member seat, a voting method called Instant-Runoff Voting will be use. See description at the bottom of this page.

NARALO SECRETARIAT - One year term: 2018 AGM - 2019 AGM

Nominee

Date Nominee Accepted

Nominee's StatementSOIResult
Glenn McKnight

Eduardo Diaz

Judith Hellerstein

I'm pleased to provide my experience and organizational skills to the task of working as Secretariat. We recently had a successful NASIG in Puerto Rico prior to ICANN 61 and we intend to work hard to replicate the same event in Montreal in late October 2019. Although we are the smallest RALO we have achieved a number of tangible results. Our monthly calls exceed 20 attendees. ( 34 on the March call), detailed monthly newsletter and a revised and proactive engagement with more members to be involved in our various subcommittees.Glenn McKnight SOIGlenn McKnight by acclamation

NARALO 2018 NOMCOM DELEGATE - One year term: 2018 AGM - 2019 AGM

Nominee

Date Nominee Accepted

Nominee's StatementSOIRALO ResultALAC Result
Leah Symekher

Eduardo Diaz

Judith Hellerstein

It has been a great honor to represent NARALO on the 2018 ICANN Nominating Committee.  I thank you for nominating me for the first term and ask for your consideration for a second term.  

This first year, 6 months to be exact, serving on the NOMCOM has allowed me to engage fully with the leadership and team delegates from different parts of the world and constituencies to focus on one common goal of selecting qualified candidates for the ICANN leadership & Board. I have actively contributed and participated in the full process, including several subcommittees and attending all calls and meetings. I have kept constant communication with NARALO and updated the community on the NOMCOM progress (except where confidentiality applies) as is my responsibility. My business development profession in the DNS space working with global clients and involvement in ICANN and as Chair for SFBay ISOC Chapter & ALS, provided a good foundation for me to succeed in this role.

I believe a second term will  give me the opportunity to leverage the experience from my first year and allow me to be even more effective in my contribution to the ICANN Community, the Internet and ALAC / NARALO community.

I thank you for your consideration.

Leah Symekher SOILeah Symekher
Adrian SchmidtSelf nominated

I’m new to ICANN and NARALO, but I can provide innovative ideas combined with over 30 years of experience in network and infrastructure environments to the team. I was born and raised in Argentina, and I have worked in multicultural environments (such as in Southeast Asia). This experience has given me a broad perspective on multiple aspects, and I’m ready to bring my effort and energy to this new position and do my best to support NARALO and ICANN.Adrian Schmidt SOI

*  Term of 2 years is in accordance with the new NARALO Rules of Procedure approved on 09-28-17, article 6. ELECTIONS 

6.1 Elections shall be held annually to elect one (1) officer and one (1) ALAC member on a staggered basis and to make one or more recommendations to the ALAC for the NomCom Delegate.

6.1.1 To initiate staggered elections of the officers, the terms of the Chair and the Secretariat elected at the first election after adoption of these amended Rules of Procedure shall be two (2) years and one (1) year, respectively. The election for the ALAC Members shall continue on the current staggered basis.

Instant-Runoff Voting (IRV)

An Instant-Runoff Vote is used when there are multiple (more than 2) candidates for a single position.

It is important that anyone elected has the support of the majority of the electors but with multiple candidates, that might not happen if we use regular voting. For instance, with 11 voters and 3 candidates, it is possible that the candidates received 5,4 and 2 votes each. So no candidate has the support of a majority of the electorate.

In IRV, each voter ranks all candidates in order of preference. Here is a possible set of ballots

Candidate A

Candidate B

Candidate C

Ballot 1

Ballot 2

Ballot 3

Ballot 4

Ballot 5

Ballot 6

Ballot 7

Ballot 8

Ballot 9

Ballot 10

Ballot 11

Candidate A received 5 first preferences, Candidate B had 4 and Candidate C had 2, so no one had a majority of support.

Candidate has the least support, so he/she is dropped. For those 2 dropped ballots, Candidate A was the next choice for 1 and Candidate C for the other. So excluding Candidate C, Candidate A is not preferred by 6 voters and Candidate B by 5, so Candidate A is declared the winner.

If there is a tie for who to be eliminated, past voting choices in the first rounds is used and if that does not help, random selection is used.

This has been the selection methodology used for the ALAC for selection with multiple selections since 2009 and it is used to narrow the field for At-Large Board Selections.

IRV is a special case of Single Transferable Voting (STV) where there may be multiple winners. Both methods are widely used throughout the world.

References:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instant-runoff_voting

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_transferable_vote

http://www.stv.govt.nz/stv/onevacancy.htm

Here is a short video to watch on Youtube