Sub-group Members:  Abdeldjalil Bachar Bong, Andreea Brambilla, Antonella Perini, Avri Doria, Fiona Asonga, Herb Waye, Julie Hammer, Lito Ibarra, Lousewies van der Laan, Olga Cavalli, Rafik Dammak, Dalila Rahmouni, Renata Aquino Ribeiro, Sebastien Bachollet

Observers/Guests:  \

Staff:   Bernard Turcotte, Brenda Brewer, Elizabeth Andrews, Ergys Ramaj, Laena Rahim, Meghan Healy, Mike Brennan (Tech Support)

Apologies:   Cheryl Langdon-Orr

** If your name is missing from attendance or apology, please send note to **




1. Roll call

2. Review of action items Rafik Damak - Action Item will send a reminder to the list.

3. Draft Report Discussion - XxcxYILrXc/edit

4. Report- from the underserved regions

5. AOB

Raw Captioning Notes 

  • Word doc  (Note that these are the unofficial transcript. Official transcript will be posted 2-3 days after the call)
  • PDF  (Note that these are the unofficial transcript. Official transcript will be posted 2-3 days after the call)


  • Leave Draft report open while seeking input from SOACs vis Diversity Questionnaire.
  • Report on underserved regions - Not entirely relevant to our work – as more input gathered may become more useful

Action Items:

  • Drafting group – update Draft Report per comments at this meeting.


  • Sub-Group – Comment on the Draft Report.
  • Sub-Group – Encourage SOACs to complete Diversity questionnaire

Documents Presented

Chat Transcript

 Yvette Guigneaux:Welcome all to the Diversity Subgroup Meeting #20  |  26 April 2017 - 13:00 UTC!

  Yvette Guigneaux:If you are not speaking, please mute your phone by pressing *6 (star 6).  To unmute press *6

  RAHMOUNI Dalila:hello

  FIONA ASONGA:Hallo Dalila

  Bernard Turcotte Staff Support:hello all

  Brenda Brewer:Reminder all, please state your name for the Captioning pod.  Thank you!

  Brenda Brewer:State your name before speaking, please!

  Herb Waye Ombuds:good morning all...

  Lito Ibarra:Good morning, Buenos días

   Abdeldjalil Bachar Bong:Good afternoon et bonsoir à tous

  RAHMOUNI Dalila:yes

  Lito Ibarra:Yes

  Lousewies:hello all

  avri doria:while it was noisy, i could hear. is the problem with translation channels?

  Brenda Brewer:this document in pdf form can be found here;  or the Google doc here;

  Herb Waye Ombuds:Must log out for 10 minutes to move to a conference room brb

  Herb Waye Ombuds:back :-)

  avri doria:i expect tha diversity vs. policy is nto the only trad off possible in the budget.

  avri doria:i worry about stamtement that say if you want diversity that may be at the cost of doing policy.

  Rafik:we cna make the recommendations, itemize them in more details and give some weight or priority

  Rafik:feasability is related to implementation, at this level we are more talking about requirements

  Renata (laptop):hola sorry about the delay

  Renata (laptop):very good to see captioning 

  avri doria:am i right that this was a survey that 10 people respondend to?

  avri doria:if so, ratherr small smaple size. though good to have these indicators.

  Renata (laptop):yes it's a very small size. But it was done on a small island state event so I guess that can be weighed.

  Elizabeth Andrews:Hi Fiona - Just to clarify, this particular survey was sent to the participants of the Fiji workshop that is being held this week. It was not comprehensive across GAC, but will be used to gather more data regarding future underserved regions workshops in other areas.

  Elizabeth Andrews:(hence the small sample)

  avri doria:i am not disparaging the tudy, just indicating its significance may be constrained.

  Renata (laptop):i've sent a comment about language diversity and connectivity as barriers - they are very important to pay attention to. Even in this research there is a language diversity not covered by ICANN (or many organizations). The connectivity issue is also important, taking into account small island states and farther regions from big citiies will have more challenges participating. This should be covered in the regional diversity discussion.

  Elizabeth Andrews:The survey included examples of feedback from the Nairobi workshop that were potentially relevant; however, the survey was sent to the Fiji participants

  Elizabeth Andrews:This was the specific question: “A recent, similar workshop took place in Nairobi, Kenya. There, participants found valuable the following information. Check all that you feel would be useful to you:”

  avri doria:if the same study is done again and again, the combination and longitudial may end up useful.

  Rafik:such survey can give some hints for direction to explore but it is not necessarily authoritative

  Renata (laptop):pls read my comment as I am on phone and cant make question

  Renata (laptop):about the sample, I understood the data from Nairobi was referred to the sample of respondents in Fiji

  FIONA ASONGA:I can hear you Julie

  Ergys:the plan is to conduct this survey across other regions for future workshops; we will have some data to compare over time eventually

   Renata (laptop):Ergys sounds very interesting 

  Bernard Turcotte Staff Support:Time check - 15 minutes left in call

  Bernard Turcotte Staff Support:bye all

  Lito Ibarra:Thanks. Best regards

  Renata (laptop):Thanks

  Rafik:bye all

  RAHMOUNI Dalila:Thank yoiu 

  Antonella Perini:bye!

  Lousewies 2:bedankt

  Bernard Turcotte Staff Support:next meeting 4 April 1300

  Herb Waye Ombuds:Good bye all... 

  avri doria:bye

  RAHMOUNI Dalila:than you

  FIONA ASONGA:Bye  thanks

  Andreea Brambilla:Thanks!

  • No labels