You are viewing an old version of this page. View the current version.

Compare with Current View Page History

« Previous Version 4 Next »

Attendees: 

Members:  Avri Doria, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Eduardo Diaz, Elise Lindeberg, Greg Shatan, Jaap Akkerhuis, Jonathan Robinson, Olivier Crepin-Leblond, Paul Kane, Seun Ojedeji, Wanawit Ahkuputra

Participants:  Chuck Gomes, Jari Arkko, Jordan Carter, Jorge Cancio, Kavouss Arasteh, Martin Boyle, Mary Uduma, Matthew Shears, Sabine Meyer

Legal Counsel:  Josh Hofheimer, Sharon Flanagan, Yael Resnick

Staff:  Brenda Brewer, Elise Gerich, Nathalie Vergnolle, Samantha Eisner, Trang Nguyen, Xavier Calvez, Yuko Green

Apologies:  Lise Fuhr

**Please let Brenda know if your name has been left off the list (attendees or apologies).**

Agenda

1. Status Update (Chairs)

2. Implementation Update

• Staff update 

• NTIA implementation report 

3. Key Issues (with Sidley)

• PTI Bylaws 

• Naming Functions Agreement

• Services Agreement

• IANA IPR

• IANA Budget process and assessment

4. Client Committee

5. AOB

Notes

1. Introduction/Status Update (by Jonathan Robinson)

2. Implementation update by Trang

Remaining items not yet completed: PTI Bylaws, Naming and Services agreements, IANA IPR, escalation processes updates and IRP updates

NTIA reviewed ICANN's implementation report and answered they would let the contract expire on Sept 30th. 

3. Key Issues

3.1 PTI bylaws

Status Update by Sam Eisner

4 comments received

ICANN proposes a change of language regarding the term limit of initial/interim independent directors  

3.2 Naming Functions Agreement

Presentation of how Sidley's comments and Paul Kane's comments were incorporated in the agreement (by Trang)

ACTION: Sidley to prepare an outstanding issues' list re: CWG comments on Naming Function agreement

3.3 Services agreement

Issues list produced by Sidley

Sidley asking CWG to review specifically Schedule A of the agreement (list of services provided by ICANN to PTI)

ACTION (staff): Circulate Services agreement to CWG and former IOTF group and request input on Schedule A

3.4 IANA IPR

Presentation of potential signatory (by Sharon)

Proposal to go with ICANN. Practical alternative would be to have an Unincorporated Association of the Naming community, but due to lack of time, ICANN seems to be a more suitable solution.

ACTION: Sidley to provide CWG with list of issues to be dealt with if ICANN is the chosen signatory. 

3.5 IANA Budget process and assessment

Presentation of the proposed IANA budget process (by Xavier)

Presentation of assessment of compliance with the proposal (by Chuck)

4. Client committee

No additional issues

5. AOB

No AOB

Action Items

• ACTION: Sidley to prepare an outstanding issues' list re: CWG comments on Naming Function agreement
  • ACTION (staff): Circulate Services agreement to CWG and former IOTF group and request input on Schedule A
  • ACTION: Sidley to provide CWG with list of issues to be dealt with if ICANN is the chosen signatory. 

Transcript

Recordings

Documents

Chat Transcript

Brenda Brewer: (8/18/2016 00:20) Good day all and welcome to the CWG IANA Meeting #88 on 18 August 2016 @ 06:00 UTC!

Jonathan Robinson: (00:56) Hello All

Kavouss Arasteh: (00:56) Dear Jonathan

Kavouss Arasteh: (00:57) Good European time morning

Jordan Carter (.nz): (00:57) kia ora everyone, hello

Kavouss Arasteh: (00:57) Pls read me mails sent to you few days ago and the one sent fewmintues ago

martin boyle, Nominet: (00:57) Mornin' all

Chuck Gomes (RySG): (00:58) Hello

Jonathan Robinson: (00:58) Thank-you Kavouss. I did read them carefully.

Kavouss Arasteh: (00:59) pls kindly advise the duration of yiur meeting today?

Jonathan Robinson: (00:59) Please note that Sidley has prepared a table with 5 potential options for signatory to the Community Agreement. We will review those in the IANA IPR section today

Josh Hofheimer (Sidley): (00:59) Hello

Jonathan Robinson: (01:00) The call is scheduled to run from 06h00 to 08h00 UTC

Jonathan Robinson: (01:00) Perhaps we can complete in one hour? :-)

Kavouss Arasteh: (01:00) some people are highly paid for these meetings

Yuko Green: (01:00) All, we will get started shortly

Kavouss Arasteh: (01:01) I am not paid any penny at all

Jonathan Robinson: (01:01) All. Thank-you for your prompt attendance. We will commence in approx 1 minute

Jonathan Robinson: (01:02) @All. Please ensure mics are muted when not speaking.

Yuko Green: (01:06) Implementation Status Update submitted to NTIA on 12 August can be found here:

Yuko Green: (01:06) https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/iana-stewardship-implementation-planning-status-12aug16-en.pdf

Yuko Green: (01:06) A response from NTIA can be found here: https://www.ntia.doc.gov/files/ntia/publications/20160816marby.pdf

Kavouss Arasteh: (01:16) just for curosity

Kavouss Arasteh: (01:16) How Jonathan and Lise were nominated to serve as the two interim Directors

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: (01:16) back in the AC room now I needed to drop and switch to another device

Kavouss Arasteh: (01:16) No doubt they are the most suitable and most competent ones

Sharon Flanagan (Sidley): (01:16) We agree this is a sensible change

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: (01:17) thx Sharon

Samantha Eisner: (01:17) 5.5.2 No Nominating Committee Director may serve more than two consecutive terms. For these purposes, a person elected to fill a vacancy in a term shall not be deemed to have served that term, and service as an Initial Director shall not count as a term for the purpose of this Section. There shall be no limit on the number of terms an ICANN Director (other than the President) may serve. The term as an ICANN Director of the person holding the office of President shall be for as long as, and only for as long as, such person holds the office of President.

Samantha Eisner: (01:18) 5.5.2 No Nominating Committee Director may serve more than two consecutive terms. For these purposes, a person elected to fill a vacancy in a term shall not be deemed to have served that term, and service as an Initial Director shall not count as a term for the purpose of this Section. There shall be no limit on the number of terms an ICANN Director (other than the President) may serve. The term as an ICANN Director of the person holding the office of President shall be for as long as, and only for as long as, such person holds the office of President.

Avri Doria: (01:18) makes sense to me.  seems quite normal.

Sharon Flanagan (Sidley): (01:18) we should clarify it doesn't count only for that first short period

Kavouss Arasteh: (01:19) Coulld some one answer my questions

Sharon Flanagan (Sidley): (01:19) They are not permanently exempt from term limits

matthew shears: (01:19) makes sense

Sharon Flanagan (Sidley): (01:19) correct Chuck

Paul Kane: (01:20) Makes sense - I'm not sure why someone would want to be a director!! Kavouss, we just need to nominate two people and Jonathan\Lise offered themselves

Kavouss Arasteh: (01:22) YES AND TKS

Avri Doria: (01:22) that is the way i remember it.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: (01:23) as do I Avoi

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: (01:25) sorry Avri, typing on a phone

Mary Uduma: (01:36) +1 Paul

Paul Kane: (01:38) Will do

Elise Gerich: (01:38) for the confidentiality, I think ICANN has already said

Elise Gerich: (01:39) my audio must not be on

Elise Gerich: (01:39) sorry - ok thanks

Elise Gerich: (01:42) apparently, audio only works if I dial in.  Since we have moved on to another topic.  I will refrain from speaking and will share comments with Trang and Sam to include in ICANN's response.  Thank you.

Sharon Flanagan (Sidley): (01:42) We would encourage CWG (DT-O) to review Schedule A which is the list of services

Jonathan Robinson: (01:43) @Elise. Thank-you. Please do feel free to come in on audio if helpful

Xavier Calvez: (01:44) Lost Josh for a bit.

Chuck Gomes (RySG): (01:45) Is DT-O the right group to review Schedule A?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: (01:45) good question Chuck

Chuck Gomes (RySG): (01:46) Thanks Sharon.  I can see some DT-O role.

matthew shears: (01:48) put it to the iotf?

Kavouss Arasteh: (01:50) Jonathan , when you discuss the comprehensive message that I sent you on delegation of signature for the agreement

jorge cancio (GAC Switzerland): (01:53) the EC goes beyond the naming community, right?

Samantha Eisner: (01:53) @jorge, yes

Samantha Eisner: (01:53) GNSO, ccNSO, ALAC, ASO and GAC

Elise Gerich: (01:54) @jonathan Sorry for the delay and I now have audio. Since the topic of the confidentiality that Paul raised is long past, I will refrain from interrupting this discussion.

Jonathan Robinson: (02:00) @Kavouss. ICANN is potential signatory 2 under Sharon's document here

Jonathan Robinson: (02:02) @Kavouss. Sharon makes a key point in line wiht yours. We will likely need to comment in the public comment AND communicate formally (with ICANN), especially on the assumption that ICANN is the proposed signatory

Jonathan Robinson: (02:02) @Sam. Any update from ICANN on willingness to serve at this stage?

Greg Shatan: (02:03) CWG was never intended to last indefinitely: another "con."

Samantha Eisner: (02:03) @Jonathan, ICANN is willing to serve if requested

Samantha Eisner: (02:05) I think that the issue of "will need a mechanism agreeable to the [names] community on selection of the three CCG representatives" is an issue across all of the potential solutions

Kavouss Arasteh: (02:06) If ICANN IS READY TO DO SO , it must reply formall to the formal letter co signed by Jonathan and Lise .The terms and conditions of such action ( delegation of signatory authority and discharging the reponsibilities and exercising the rights must be properly mentioned in the letter

Elise Lindeberg, GAC Norway: (02:07) I agree with Greg - keeping CWG as a lasting thing is not a good option

Chuck Gomes (RySG): (02:07) +1 to Greg & Elise.

Jaap Akkerhuis (SSAC): (02:08) Yes,

Mary Uduma: (02:08) ++1@ Greg, Elise and Chuck

Kavouss Arasteh: (02:09) nO ONE WANTS THAT cwg LAST FOR EVER

Kavouss Arasteh: (02:10) Who proposed that CWG becomes a permanent body???

matthew shears: (02:10) agree that it should not last forever but the CWG should continue as it is deemed necessary and is useful

Kavouss Arasteh: (02:11) Mathiew+1

Paul Kane: (02:11) No way lat for ever.  we must get back to normal life

Sharon Flanagan (Sidley): (02:11) @ Kavouss - the role would need to last so long as IETF holds the IP which could be indefinitely.

Kavouss Arasteh: (02:11) what role?

Sharon Flanagan (Sidley): (02:11) oversight and advice on IP

Kavouss Arasteh: (02:12) do you mean CWG must contuinue for ever

Sharon Flanagan (Sidley): (02:12) @Kavouss - only if CWG is the counterparty to the agreement

Kavouss Arasteh: (02:13) CWG would not be counterpart to the agreement

Mary Uduma: (02:13) On point,  Jonathan

Kavouss Arasteh: (02:13) Naming community would be through delegation of its authority on the matter to ICANN

Greg Shatan: (02:16) We have never really defined the "Names Community."

Paul Kane: (02:16) Mut go - thank all

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (02:16) Good point Greg, though no doubt some of us have concepts

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (02:17) Bye Paul  Thank You

Greg Shatan: (02:17) I don't think it's the same as the "customers."

Kavouss Arasteh: (02:17) sharon, the oversight on IP could be delegated to ICANN by Names Community  together with the terms and conditions under which that tasks could be performed

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (02:18) I believ ALAC  was deemable as one

Chuck Gomes (RySG): (02:19) Thanks Sharon.

Kavouss Arasteh: (02:19) The most appropriate way would be that Names community establish an unincorporated association and sign ther agreement and perform the repsponsibities and obligations during the period validity of the agreement

Greg Shatan: (02:20) If ICANN is the signatory, it should not be actually undertake oversight of the IPR or the services. That should remain with the community.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (02:21) seems so Jonathan

Kavouss Arasteh: (02:21) Jonathan,

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (02:21) the 2 options

Jonathan Robinson: (02:21) @Cheryl. Thank-you

Samantha Eisner: (02:21) @Greg, ICANN would expect the community to identify the mecahnism for the CCG representative selection and how ICANN is expected to take direction on contractual enforcement issues

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (02:21) Sorry I sm mainly mute on this call a tad 'tied up' and in a noisy environment

Greg Shatan: (02:22) If ICANN signs, it would be on behalf of the Names Community.

Elise Lindeberg, GAC Norway: (02:22) Yes, I think that could be done Greg, - like all the other legal responsebility ICANN has that is monitored by the community

Kavouss Arasteh: (02:22) As far as the separation of responsibility  is concerned the option of that Names community AND NOT GNSO AND CCNSO , establish an unincorporated associations

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (02:22) makes sence to me  Elise

Kavouss Arasteh: (02:22) It has more legal validity

Greg Shatan: (02:22) makes sense to me, Sam.

Josh Hofheimer (Sidley): (02:27) A reminder, the Community Agreement has a limited responsibility.  It delivers the EC decision to the IETF that a separation of IANA Services provider is required.  And then it provides some "advice" but not approval of handling of IP in more day to day scenarios

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (02:28) Yes excellent point to remind us of Josh

Josh Hofheimer (Sidley): (02:29) As Sharon noted earlier, the CCG represenatives can be independent of ICANN

Jonathan Robinson: (02:29) @Greg. Higher volume if possible please

jorge cancio (GAC Switzerland): (02:29) voice very low

Avri Doria: (02:29) ok, so i am not the only one who cannot hear him.

Josh Hofheimer (Sidley): (02:30) Just an idea, could the CSC members be the ones to name the CCG representatives, or themselves be the CCG representatives?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (02:30) Much better

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (02:33) Ohh Dear

jorge cancio (GAC Switzerland): (02:33) wow - I thought it was here...

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (02:33) and ouch that was loud

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (02:34) wow that just drilled into my head

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (02:34) ear phones did not help

Greg Shatan: (02:34) that's quite shocking at 3:34 am.

Jonathan Robinson: (02:35) @least I know the fire alarm works!

Greg Shatan: (02:36) CWG has caused ICANN to do quite a few things without being an Unincorporated Association. No need to start now.

jorge cancio (GAC Switzerland): (02:36) I'm not sure if it would be easy to organize the names community as an UA - for starters, we have no definition of this community, or have we?

Kavouss Arasteh: (02:37) CHUCK,

Kavouss Arasteh: (02:37) Now you have realized that tghe issue was not as simple you you were thinking

Greg Shatan: (02:37) ICANN as signatory should avoid the need to form a UA.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (02:38) Happy to support that provisionary and follow up approach Jonathan

Kavouss Arasteh: (02:38) Not at all

Avri Doria: (02:38) what does provisionary mean?

Chuck Gomes (RySG): (02:38) @ Kavous:  I wasn't aware that I thought it was simple.

Greg Shatan: (02:38) But not the need to define the Names Community.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (02:38) Sorry Avri probbly my poor use of the EN Language

Kavouss Arasteh: (02:39) Dear Chuch, but you criticised me aggressively

Xavier Calvez: (02:39) I will let Chuck start, and I will help as needed.

Kavouss Arasteh: (02:40) I was not so out of context speaking

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (02:40) yes Xavier

Jonathan Robinson: (02:49) Note: Sidely have lef tthe call at this point

Mary Uduma: (02:53) Thanks Xavier

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (02:53) Thanks Xavier

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (02:54) It was a pleasure Chuck

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (02:54) your a pleasure to work with

Jonathan Robinson: (02:59) @All. We are at the 2 hour point in our call

Mary Uduma: (03:00) Thanks Chuck. Happy to work with you

Xavier Calvez: (03:00) Welcome and thank you for the great collaboration!

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (03:00) Thank YOU  Chuck and our DTO  team with ICNN STaff

Xavier Calvez: (03:01) Thank you. bye.

Avri Doria: (03:01) good night, thanks.

Elise Gerich: (03:01) Thank you and good-bye

Trang Nguyen: (03:01) Thank you. Bye!

Mary Uduma: (03:01) Very productive meeting bye all.

martin boyle, Nominet: (03:01) thanks all, bye

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (03:01) Bye everyone  Thabk you

jaap Akkerhuis (SSAC): (03:01) bye

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (03:01) Thanks and bye!

Greg Shatan: (03:01) night, all!

• No labels