Members:  Avri Doria, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Eduardo Diaz, Elise Lindeberg, Greg Shatan, Jaap Akkerhuis, Jonathan Robinson, Olivier Crepin-Leblond, Paul Kane, Seun Ojedeji, Wanawit Ahkuputra

Participants:  Chuck Gomes, Jari Arkko, Jordan Carter, Jorge Cancio, Kavouss Arasteh, Martin Boyle, Mary Uduma, Matthew Shears, Sabine Meyer

Legal Counsel:  Josh Hofheimer, Sharon Flanagan, Yael Resnick

Staff:  Brenda Brewer, Elise Gerich, Nathalie Vergnolle, Samantha Eisner, Trang Nguyen, Xavier Calvez, Yuko Green

Apologies:  Lise Fuhr


**Please let Brenda know if your name has been left off the list (attendees or apologies).**


    1. Status Update (Chairs)

    2. Implementation Update

            • Staff update 

            • NTIA implementation report 

    3. Key Issues (with Sidley)

            • PTI Bylaws 

            • Naming Functions Agreement

            • Services Agreement

            • IANA IPR

            • IANA Budget process and assessment

    4. Client Committee

    5. AOB


1. Introduction/Status Update (by Jonathan Robinson)

2. Implementation update by Trang

Remaining items not yet completed: PTI Bylaws, Naming and Services agreements, IANA IPR, escalation processes updates and IRP updates

NTIA reviewed ICANN's implementation report and answered they would let the contract expire on Sept 30th. 

3. Key Issues

3.1 PTI bylaws

Status Update by Sam Eisner

4 comments received

ICANN proposes a change of language regarding the term limit of initial/interim independent directors  

3.2 Naming Functions Agreement

Presentation of how Sidley's comments and Paul Kane's comments were incorporated in the agreement (by Trang)

ACTION: Sidley to prepare an outstanding issues' list re: CWG comments on Naming Function agreement


3.3 Services agreement

Issues list produced by Sidley

Sidley asking CWG to review specifically Schedule A of the agreement (list of services provided by ICANN to PTI)

ACTION (staff): Circulate Services agreement to CWG and former IOTF group and request input on Schedule A



Presentation of potential signatory (by Sharon)

Proposal to go with ICANN. Practical alternative would be to have an Unincorporated Association of the Naming community, but due to lack of time, ICANN seems to be a more suitable solution.

ACTION: Sidley to provide CWG with list of issues to be dealt with if ICANN is the chosen signatory. 


3.5 IANA Budget process and assessment

Presentation of the proposed IANA budget process (by Xavier)

Presentation of assessment of compliance with the proposal (by Chuck)


4. Client committee

No additional issues

5. AOB


Action Items

  • ACTION: Sidley to prepare an outstanding issues' list re: CWG comments on Naming Function agreement
  • ACTION (staff): Circulate Services agreement to CWG and former IOTF group and request input on Schedule A
  • ACTION: Sidley to provide CWG with list of issues to be dealt with if ICANN is the chosen signatory. 





Chat Transcript

  Brenda Brewer: (8/18/2016 00:20) Good day all and welcome to the CWG IANA Meeting #88 on 18 August 2016 @ 06:00 UTC!

  Jonathan Robinson: (00:56) Hello All

  Kavouss Arasteh: (00:56) Dear Jonathan

  Kavouss Arasteh: (00:57) Good European time morning

  Jordan Carter (.nz): (00:57) kia ora everyone, hello

  Kavouss Arasteh: (00:57) Pls read me mails sent to you few days ago and the one sent fewmintues ago

  martin boyle, Nominet: (00:57) Mornin' all

  Chuck Gomes (RySG): (00:58) Hello

  Jonathan Robinson: (00:58) Thank-you Kavouss. I did read them carefully.

  Kavouss Arasteh: (00:59) pls kindly advise the duration of yiur meeting today?

  Jonathan Robinson: (00:59) Please note that Sidley has prepared a table with 5 potential options for signatory to the Community Agreement. We will review those in the IANA IPR section today

  Josh Hofheimer (Sidley): (00:59) Hello

  Jonathan Robinson: (01:00) The call is scheduled to run from 06h00 to 08h00 UTC

  Jonathan Robinson: (01:00) Perhaps we can complete in one hour? :-)

  Kavouss Arasteh: (01:00) some people are highly paid for these meetings

  Yuko Green: (01:00) All, we will get started shortly

  Kavouss Arasteh: (01:01) I am not paid any penny at all

  Jonathan Robinson: (01:01) All. Thank-you for your prompt attendance. We will commence in approx 1 minute

  Jonathan Robinson: (01:02) @All. Please ensure mics are muted when not speaking.

  Yuko Green: (01:06) Implementation Status Update submitted to NTIA on 12 August can be found here:

  Yuko Green: (01:06)

  Yuko Green: (01:06) A response from NTIA can be found here:

  Kavouss Arasteh: (01:16) just for curosity

  Kavouss Arasteh: (01:16) How Jonathan and Lise were nominated to serve as the two interim Directors

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr: (01:16) back in the AC room now I needed to drop and switch to another device

  Kavouss Arasteh: (01:16) No doubt they are the most suitable and most competent ones

  Sharon Flanagan (Sidley): (01:16) We agree this is a sensible change

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr: (01:17) thx Sharon

  Samantha Eisner: (01:17) 5.5.2 No Nominating Committee Director may serve more than two consecutive terms. For these purposes, a person elected to fill a vacancy in a term shall not be deemed to have served that term, and service as an Initial Director shall not count as a term for the purpose of this Section. There shall be no limit on the number of terms an ICANN Director (other than the President) may serve. The term as an ICANN Director of the person holding the office of President shall be for as long as, and only for as long as, such person holds the office of President.

  Samantha Eisner: (01:18) 5.5.2 No Nominating Committee Director may serve more than two consecutive terms. For these purposes, a person elected to fill a vacancy in a term shall not be deemed to have served that term, and service as an Initial Director shall not count as a term for the purpose of this Section. There shall be no limit on the number of terms an ICANN Director (other than the President) may serve. The term as an ICANN Director of the person holding the office of President shall be for as long as, and only for as long as, such person holds the office of President.

  Avri Doria: (01:18) makes sense to me.  seems quite normal.

  Sharon Flanagan (Sidley): (01:18) we should clarify it doesn't count only for that first short period

  Kavouss Arasteh: (01:19) Coulld some one answer my questions

  Sharon Flanagan (Sidley): (01:19) They are not permanently exempt from term limits

  matthew shears: (01:19) makes sense

  Sharon Flanagan (Sidley): (01:19) correct Chuck

  Paul Kane: (01:20) Makes sense - I'm not sure why someone would want to be a director!! Kavouss, we just need to nominate two people and Jonathan\Lise offered themselves

  Kavouss Arasteh: (01:22) YES AND TKS

  Avri Doria: (01:22) that is the way i remember it.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr: (01:23) as do I Avoi

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr: (01:25) sorry Avri, typing on a phone

  Mary Uduma: (01:36) +1 Paul

  Paul Kane: (01:38) Will do

  Elise Gerich: (01:38) for the confidentiality, I think ICANN has already said

  Elise Gerich: (01:39) my audio must not be on

  Elise Gerich: (01:39) sorry - ok thanks

  Elise Gerich: (01:42) apparently, audio only works if I dial in.  Since we have moved on to another topic.  I will refrain from speaking and will share comments with Trang and Sam to include in ICANN's response.  Thank you.

  Sharon Flanagan (Sidley): (01:42) We would encourage CWG (DT-O) to review Schedule A which is the list of services

  Jonathan Robinson: (01:43) @Elise. Thank-you. Please do feel free to come in on audio if helpful

  Xavier Calvez: (01:44) Lost Josh for a bit.

  Chuck Gomes (RySG): (01:45) Is DT-O the right group to review Schedule A?

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr: (01:45) good question Chuck

  Chuck Gomes (RySG): (01:46) Thanks Sharon.  I can see some DT-O role.

  matthew shears: (01:48) put it to the iotf?

  Kavouss Arasteh: (01:50) Jonathan , when you discuss the comprehensive message that I sent you on delegation of signature for the agreement

  jorge cancio (GAC Switzerland): (01:53) the EC goes beyond the naming community, right?

  Samantha Eisner: (01:53) @jorge, yes

  Samantha Eisner: (01:53) GNSO, ccNSO, ALAC, ASO and GAC

  Elise Gerich: (01:54) @jonathan Sorry for the delay and I now have audio. Since the topic of the confidentiality that Paul raised is long past, I will refrain from interrupting this discussion.

  Jonathan Robinson: (02:00) @Kavouss. ICANN is potential signatory 2 under Sharon's document here

  Jonathan Robinson: (02:02) @Kavouss. Sharon makes a key point in line wiht yours. We will likely need to comment in the public comment AND communicate formally (with ICANN), especially on the assumption that ICANN is the proposed signatory

  Jonathan Robinson: (02:02) @Sam. Any update from ICANN on willingness to serve at this stage?

  Greg Shatan: (02:03) CWG was never intended to last indefinitely: another "con."

  Samantha Eisner: (02:03) @Jonathan, ICANN is willing to serve if requested

  Samantha Eisner: (02:05) I think that the issue of "will need a mechanism agreeable to the [names] community on selection of the three CCG representatives" is an issue across all of the potential solutions

  Kavouss Arasteh: (02:06) If ICANN IS READY TO DO SO , it must reply formall to the formal letter co signed by Jonathan and Lise .The terms and conditions of such action ( delegation of signatory authority and discharging the reponsibilities and exercising the rights must be properly mentioned in the letter

  Elise Lindeberg, GAC Norway: (02:07) I agree with Greg - keeping CWG as a lasting thing is not a good option

  Chuck Gomes (RySG): (02:07) +1 to Greg & Elise.

  Jaap Akkerhuis (SSAC): (02:08) Yes,

  Mary Uduma: (02:08) ++1@ Greg, Elise and Chuck

  Kavouss Arasteh: (02:09) nO ONE WANTS THAT cwg LAST FOR EVER

  Kavouss Arasteh: (02:10) Who proposed that CWG becomes a permanent body???

  matthew shears: (02:10) agree that it should not last forever but the CWG should continue as it is deemed necessary and is useful

  Kavouss Arasteh: (02:11) Mathiew+1

  Paul Kane: (02:11) No way lat for ever.  we must get back to normal life

  Sharon Flanagan (Sidley): (02:11) @ Kavouss - the role would need to last so long as IETF holds the IP which could be indefinitely.

  Kavouss Arasteh: (02:11) what role?

  Sharon Flanagan (Sidley): (02:11) oversight and advice on IP

  Kavouss Arasteh: (02:12) do you mean CWG must contuinue for ever

  Sharon Flanagan (Sidley): (02:12) @Kavouss - only if CWG is the counterparty to the agreement

  Kavouss Arasteh: (02:13) CWG would not be counterpart to the agreement

  Mary Uduma: (02:13) On point,  Jonathan

  Kavouss Arasteh: (02:13) Naming community would be through delegation of its authority on the matter to ICANN

  Greg Shatan: (02:16) We have never really defined the "Names Community."

  Paul Kane: (02:16) Mut go - thank all

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (02:16) Good point Greg, though no doubt some of us have concepts

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (02:17) Bye Paul  Thank You

  Greg Shatan: (02:17) I don't think it's the same as the "customers."

  Kavouss Arasteh: (02:17) sharon, the oversight on IP could be delegated to ICANN by Names Community  together with the terms and conditions under which that tasks could be performed

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (02:18) I believ ALAC  was deemable as one

  Chuck Gomes (RySG): (02:19) Thanks Sharon.

  Kavouss Arasteh: (02:19) The most appropriate way would be that Names community establish an unincorporated association and sign ther agreement and perform the repsponsibities and obligations during the period validity of the agreement

  Greg Shatan: (02:20) If ICANN is the signatory, it should not be actually undertake oversight of the IPR or the services. That should remain with the community.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (02:21) seems so Jonathan

  Kavouss Arasteh: (02:21) Jonathan,

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (02:21) the 2 options

  Jonathan Robinson: (02:21) @Cheryl. Thank-you

  Samantha Eisner: (02:21) @Greg, ICANN would expect the community to identify the mecahnism for the CCG representative selection and how ICANN is expected to take direction on contractual enforcement issues

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (02:21) Sorry I sm mainly mute on this call a tad 'tied up' and in a noisy environment

  Greg Shatan: (02:22) If ICANN signs, it would be on behalf of the Names Community.

  Elise Lindeberg, GAC Norway: (02:22) Yes, I think that could be done Greg, - like all the other legal responsebility ICANN has that is monitored by the community

  Kavouss Arasteh: (02:22) As far as the separation of responsibility  is concerned the option of that Names community AND NOT GNSO AND CCNSO , establish an unincorporated associations

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (02:22) makes sence to me  Elise

  Kavouss Arasteh: (02:22) It has more legal validity

  Greg Shatan: (02:22) makes sense to me, Sam.

  Josh Hofheimer (Sidley): (02:27) A reminder, the Community Agreement has a limited responsibility.  It delivers the EC decision to the IETF that a separation of IANA Services provider is required.  And then it provides some "advice" but not approval of handling of IP in more day to day scenarios

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (02:28) Yes excellent point to remind us of Josh

  Josh Hofheimer (Sidley): (02:29) As Sharon noted earlier, the CCG represenatives can be independent of ICANN

  Jonathan Robinson: (02:29) @Greg. Higher volume if possible please

  jorge cancio (GAC Switzerland): (02:29) voice very low

  Avri Doria: (02:29) ok, so i am not the only one who cannot hear him.

  Josh Hofheimer (Sidley): (02:30) Just an idea, could the CSC members be the ones to name the CCG representatives, or themselves be the CCG representatives?

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (02:30) Much better

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (02:33) Ohh Dear

  jorge cancio (GAC Switzerland): (02:33) wow - I thought it was here...

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (02:33) and ouch that was loud

  Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (02:34) wow that just drilled into my head

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (02:34) ear phones did not help

  Greg Shatan: (02:34) that's quite shocking at 3:34 am.

  Jonathan Robinson: (02:35) @least I know the fire alarm works!

  Greg Shatan: (02:36) CWG has caused ICANN to do quite a few things without being an Unincorporated Association. No need to start now.

  jorge cancio (GAC Switzerland): (02:36) I'm not sure if it would be easy to organize the names community as an UA - for starters, we have no definition of this community, or have we?

  Kavouss Arasteh: (02:37) CHUCK,

  Kavouss Arasteh: (02:37) Now you have realized that tghe issue was not as simple you you were thinking

  Greg Shatan: (02:37) ICANN as signatory should avoid the need to form a UA.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (02:38) Happy to support that provisionary and follow up approach Jonathan

  Kavouss Arasteh: (02:38) Not at all

  Avri Doria: (02:38) what does provisionary mean?

  Chuck Gomes (RySG): (02:38) @ Kavous:  I wasn't aware that I thought it was simple.

  Greg Shatan: (02:38) But not the need to define the Names Community.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (02:38) Sorry Avri probbly my poor use of the EN Language

  Kavouss Arasteh: (02:39) Dear Chuch, but you criticised me aggressively

  Xavier Calvez: (02:39) I will let Chuck start, and I will help as needed.

  Kavouss Arasteh: (02:40) I was not so out of context speaking

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (02:40) yes Xavier

  Jonathan Robinson: (02:49) Note: Sidely have lef tthe call at this point

  Mary Uduma: (02:53) Thanks Xavier

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (02:53) Thanks Xavier

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (02:54) It was a pleasure Chuck

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (02:54) your a pleasure to work with

  Jonathan Robinson: (02:59) @All. We are at the 2 hour point in our call

  Mary Uduma: (03:00) Thanks Chuck. Happy to work with you

  Xavier Calvez: (03:00) Welcome and thank you for the great collaboration!

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (03:00) Thank YOU  Chuck and our DTO  team with ICNN STaff

  Xavier Calvez: (03:01) Thank you. bye.

  Avri Doria: (03:01) good night, thanks.

  Elise Gerich: (03:01) Thank you and good-bye

  Trang Nguyen: (03:01) Thank you. Bye!

  Mary Uduma: (03:01) Very productive meeting bye all.

  martin boyle, Nominet: (03:01) thanks all, bye

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): (03:01) Bye everyone  Thabk you

  jaap Akkerhuis (SSAC): (03:01) bye

  Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (03:01) Thanks and bye!

  Greg Shatan: (03:01) night, all!

  • No labels