Members:  Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Donna Austin, Graeme Bunton, Greg Shatan, Jaap Akkerhuis, Jonathan Robinson, Lise Fuhr, Maarten Simon, Olivier Crepin-LeBlond, Paul Kane, Seun Ojedeji, Wanawit Ahkuputra   (12)

Participants:  Allan MacGillivray, Andrew Sullivan, Jorge Cancio, Manal Ismail, Mark Carvell, Markus Kummer, Matthew Shears, Rudi Vansnick, Russ Mundy, Suzanne Woolf, Tracy Hackshaw   (11)

Guests: Elaine Pruis, Kurt Rossler  (2)

Staff:  Akram Atallah, Bart Boswinkel, Berry Cobb, Brenda Brewer, David Conrad, Grace Abuhamad, Marika Konings, Nathalie Vergnolle, Trang Nguyen, Xavier Calvez, Yuko Green

Apologies: Chuck Gomes, Alan Greenberg, Avri Doria


**Please let Brenda know if your name has been left off the list (attendees or apologies).**


1. Opening Remarks


3. Implementation Update

4. CCWG-Accountability

5. ICANN Bylaws relating to CWG-Stewardship

6. AOB

7. Closing Remarks


1. Opening Remarks

  • Review of the agenda for today's call
  • Last full CWG call was on 4 February:
  • Meeting on 9 Feb with Board Finance Committee and Chairs of SO/ACs to discuss budget for Transition-related costs. Chairs have since requested cost estimates for future work from Sidley. 
  • Note from Olivier Crepin-Leblond to indicate that the Chairs should not be held responsible for cost management. 
  • The CCWG-Accountability published their final report for Chartering Organization consideration on Tuesday this week: 
  • Aim to send the letter  confirming dependencies ASAP to the CCWG, the Chartering Organizations, and the ICG. 

Action (Chairs): Communicate the cost estimate from Sidley back to the CWG. Also to communicate these estimates to ICANN Finance/Legal. 


Action (all): Please review the document and send notes to the CWG-Stewardship list

3. Implementation Update

(Presented by Trang Nguyen)

Monitoring period & data collection : 

  • RZMS code changes to be deployed on 1 March and on track. Data tracking for all categories requested in the way that 
    SLEs are defined was not possible without certain code changes to RZMS. 
  • NTIA has requested an implementation update in August but this clashes with the planned 6-month collection period. 
    Staff is proposing a 3-month tracking period instead, so as to meet NTIA requirements. One of the items in CSC Charter 
    is that the CSC could recommend changes to SLEs, so that allows the commmunity to come back to SLEs and meet the timeline proposed. 
  • Data collection: Paul Kane notes that shortening the period is acceptable as long as the data collected is meaningful. Paul is 
    happy that the RZMS code change will be completed ahead of time. 
  • Raw data cannot be made available as it contains confidential information for registries. Data scrubbed of the confidential 
    data could be provided following the code changes. 


  • Name for PTI will be revealed in Marrakech. This "new name" for legal purposes associated with setting up an entity. 

Implementation session at ICANN55

  • Monday 7 March at 10:30 local time in Atlas room for implementation session 

4.  CCWG-Accountability

  • Sidley prepared a letter, which Lise forwarded and asked for comments by Tuesday 23 February. 
  • Only Chuck and Paul submitted input. Paul's question was noted by Becky as an item for implementation (Becky leads the IRP 
    Implementation group for the CCWG)
  • Sidley has prepared a new version of the draft in time for the call (redline on screen)
  • With regard to IANA Budget, Paul Kane suggests changing "may wish to" to "will" on page 4. This commits the CWG to working 
    on the budget planning process. No objections noted on call.  
  • Lise confirms that Chuck's points were addressed in latest redline. 

Action (Chairs): Instruct Sidley of changes requested (Paul's on IANA Budget) and finalize letter for distribution by the end of the 
week. Distribute to CCWG-Accountability, Chartering Organizations, and ICG. 

Action (Grace): Check wording around Final/Final Supplemental to be consistent with CCWG-Accountability term. 

5. ICANN Bylaws relating to CWG-Stewardship

  • Plan agreed on last call is to answer Sidley's questions on Bylaws, obtain an updated version, and parse the Bylaws afterward (with ICANN).
  • For thresholds: Donna Austin suggests we go with current practices, i.e. simple majority, since Charter amendments will go a 
    public comment process prior to approval by the ccNSO and GNSO. Paul Kane agrees. 

Action (Grace): circulate this issues document and updated bylaws matrix to CWG-Stewardship 

Action (Chairs): send same document to ICANN implementation team in case they have any further edits. 

6. AOB

  • Next call will be after ICANN 55 (Marrakech)
  • There are no meetings in Marrakech for the CWG but we will send a list of sessions that may be of interest to group 
    (implementation update, CCWG-Accountability sessions, etc). 

7. Closing Remarks

  • Expect CCWG-Accountability letter to go out on behalf of CWG
  • Reminder to deal with the IANA 'reserve fund' (3 year portion of reserve fund in IANA operating costs) in implementation. 
    Work is underway in DT-O. Anyone can join DT-O effort.

Action (DT-O): Continue work and start by identifying objectives. Objective is financial sustainability for IANA. The escrow is only 
one of the solutions. 

Action (Grace): add Paul Kane to DT-O

Action Items

  • Action (Chairs): Communicate the cost estimate from Sidley back to the CWG. Also to communicate these estimates to ICANN Finance/Legal. 
  • Action (all): Please review the document and send notes to the CWG-Stewardship list
  • Action (Chairs): Instruct Sidley of changes requested (Paul's on IANA Budget) and finalize letter for distribution by the 
    end of the week. Distribute to CCWG-Accountability, Chartering Organizations, and ICG. 
  • Action (Grace): Check wording around Final/Final Supplemental to be consistent with CCWG-Accountability term. 
  • Action (Grace): circulate this issues document and updated bylaws matrix to CWG-Stewardship 
  • Action (Chairs): send same document to ICANN implementation team in case they have any further edits. 
  • Action (DT-O): Continue work and start by identifying objectives. Objective is financial sustainability for IANA. The escrow 
    is only one of the solutions. 
  • Action (Grace): add Paul Kane to DT-O




Chat Transcript

Brenda Brewer: (2/25/2016 09:54) Good day all and welcome to the CWG Stewardship Meeting #77 on 25 February @ 16:00 UTC!

  Markus Kummer: (09:56) Hi everyone

  Andrew Sullivan: (09:57) Hi all

  Andrew Sullivan: (09:57) I have a conflict that I can't miss at noon local time (about an hour)

  Andrew Sullivan: (09:58) So I will need to drop early

  Jaap Akkerhuis (SSAC): (09:59) Hi all

  Sabine Meyer (GAC - Germany): (09:59) hello everyone!

  Lise Fuhr: (09:59) Hello All

  Jonathan Robinson: (09:59) Thanks Andrew. We'll move IANA IPR up to item 2 to ensure you are covered.

  Jonathan Robinson: (10:00) @Grace - Please bring item IANA IPR up to 2

  Brenda Brewer: (10:00) Seun Ojedeji on audio only

  Jonathan Robinson: (10:02) Just dialing into audio

  jorge cancio (GAC Switzerland): (10:03) hi all

  Jonathan Robinson: (10:04) I am through the Q.

  matthew shears: (10:05) hi

  Greg Shatan: (10:06) Hello, all.

  CHERYL Langdon-Orr 2: (10:11) Agree TOTALLY with the point Olivier has made re "responsability"

  Donna Austin, RySG: (10:12) Where can I find the letter?

  Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (10:13) I think it was shared on a previous call or sent to the CWG mailing list

  CHERYL Langdon-Orr 2: (10:13) Deffinatly the case Jonathan..  Of course Budgets also need to be "realistic and Fit for purpose'

  matthew shears: (10:15) elegantly excessive?

  jorge cancio (GAC Switzerland): (10:15) ccwg scars...?

  CHERYL Langdon-Orr 2: (10:15) I beleve so Jorge

  Sabine Meyer (GAC - Germany): (10:15) Well, if we keep rubbing it in....

  Grace Abuhamad: (10:16) Current draft link: <>

  jorge cancio (GAC Switzerland): (10:17) will cure soon, with some well-deserved drinks in Marrakech :D

  Grace Abuhamad: (10:17) @Donna -- I don't have a link to the letter. I think it may have been sent via email to Chairs and SO/ACs leads, but I don't think it was forwarded to CWG list

  Donna Austin, RySG: (10:18) Thanks Grace

  Greg Shatan: (10:19) I do have a tie on today....

  Grace Abuhamad: (10:19) Email greg was referring to:

  Greg Shatan: (10:19) <blushing>

  Sabine Meyer (GAC - Germany): (10:19) And I thought that was rouge :D

  Andrew Sullivan: (10:19) Please do look at that document, and notes to the list are most helpful

  Greg Shatan: (10:19) Thanks, Grace!

  Greg Shatan: (10:20) @Sabine, I try my best not to go rouge.... :-)

  Andrew Sullivan: (10:21) A couple important issues are unsettled in the document.  In particular, we need to understand the ways the community expects to direct the Trust to do things, given that the Trust itself needs to be able to make decisions about whether a licensee is performing

  Andrew Sullivan: (10:21) Also, I'd really like feedback on what registrars can do the sort of lock-down operation we need for

  Andrew Sullivan: (10:22) I bet there are a few registrars in the community :)

  Donna Austin, RySG: (10:30) I think there's also provision in the CSC Charter to review the SLE's on a regular basis.

  Grace Abuhamad: (10:30) @Donna, that's right

  Andrew Sullivan: (10:31) What David said is what I recall about previous statements about raw data, FWIW

  Greg Shatan: (10:31) Is it the raw data that's needed, or is it analytics and aggregate data?

  Paul Kane: (10:32) Sure - let's discuss

  CHERYL Langdon-Orr 2: (10:32) good plan Akrim

  matthew shears: (10:34) new name for PTI?

  matthew shears: (10:35) ok thanks

  Greg Shatan: (10:36) I look forward to the new name and brand for PTI....

  Sabine Meyer (GAC - Germany): (10:36) New PTI? Crystal IANA?

  jorge cancio (GAC Switzerland): (10:36) are you sure?

  jorge cancio (GAC Switzerland): (10:37) we'll need a CCWG for that...

  Grace Abuhamad: (10:37) Yes, all have scroll control

  Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (10:42) Is it stil called third draft proposal?

  Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (10:42) Or supplementary proposal?

  Grace Abuhamad: (10:43) the Final Supplementary

  Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (10:43) ok -- I got it. fine with me.

  Sabine Meyer (GAC - Germany): (10:43) acc to its cover it'S supplemental final proposal on WS1 recommendations

  Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (10:44) FInal Supplementary or Final Supplemental?

  Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (10:44) because the letter refers to Final Supplemental

  Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (10:44) ok thx

  CHERYL Langdon-Orr 2: (10:45) Yeah!!!

  Allan MacGillivray: (10:45) Bravo!

  jorge cancio (GAC Switzerland): (10:46) let the bells ring

  Paul Kane: (10:46) Well done all  :-)

  Eduardo Diaz (ALAC): (10:46) Kudos!!

  Andrew Sullivan: (10:46) I'd insert the hand clap emoticon but I can't remember how to do it in here :)

  Andrew Sullivan: (10:46) I need to drop now.  Thanks all.

  Sabine Meyer (GAC - Germany): (10:46) Cheryl to the rescue!

  Greg Shatan: (10:47) THe docuemtn says "Supplemental Final"...

  Sabine Meyer (GAC - Germany): (10:47) As I said.

  Greg Shatan: (10:47) Just catching up...

  Sabine Meyer (GAC - Germany): (10:47) :D

  Greg Shatan: (10:48) Next draft will be the Final Supplemental Final Proposal....

  Sabine Meyer (GAC - Germany): (10:48) nooooooooooooooooo

  Sabine Meyer (GAC - Germany): (10:48) (In AC nobody can hear you scream.)

  CHERYL Langdon-Orr 2: (10:48) :-)

  bart boswinkel (staff): (10:50) For th eccNSO only in particular circumestances like a PDP

  Donna Austin, RySG: (10:51) I suggest we go with current practices, ie. simple majority.

  Donna Austin, RySG: (10:52) Charter amendments will go through a public comment process prior to approval by the ccNSO and GNSO.

  Paul Kane: (10:53) I would try and change as little as possible - so go with the current

  Donna Austin, RySG: (10:53) agree Paul

  matthew shears: (10:53) could these issues be circulated to the list?

  matthew shears: (10:54) would be good to see them in writing

  Donna Austin, RySG: (10:54) I think it was a suggestion by Sidley

  Donna Austin, RySG: (10:55) the DT CSC did not set a threshold, but just said to be approved by ccNSO and GNSO

  Donna Austin, RySG: (10:56) @Jonathan, I don't think it's sensible

  Paul Kane: (10:56) I don't think it is a good idea

  Donna Austin, RySG: (10:56) Sorry I'm not on audio

  Grace Abuhamad: (10:56) @Matthew -- yes, I will.

  Grace Abuhamad: (10:57) I only had prepared them in time for call, which is why they were not sent earlier :)

  Donna Austin, RySG: (10:57) The GNSO Council and ccNSO Council will be meeting in Marrakesh and this is something we could discuss.

  Jonathan Robinson: (10:59) @Donna agreed. Although it feels like something we should give a steer on especially those directly impacted by the work of the CSC. Do we want the CSC charter to be very stable or do we accept that normal thresholds are sufficient for stability and also provide for future flexibility I suspect the latter but it will be helpful to socialise the options a little.

  Donna Austin, RySG: (11:01) Agree Jonathan, but I don't think we want to get into a discussion abou changing the processes of the respective SO's unnecessarily.

  matthew shears: (11:03) Agree Paul would be good safeguard

  Sabine Meyer (GAC - Germany): (11:05) just for the list of sessions that might be of interest: the first session of the HLGM on 7 March deals with IANA stewardship transition outcomes.

  Akram 2: (11:05) Sorry it seems my microphone is not working

  Akram 2: (11:06) I suggest we might be able to set a rule that any reduction of IANA's budget yoy needs to be approved by the CSC?

  Xavier Calvez: (11:07) @Jonathan: Chuck and the DT-O is intending to review this specific topic.

  CHERYL Langdon-Orr 2: (11:07) Indeed we have discussed at some length

  Xavier Calvez: (11:07) There has been only the beginning of a discussion, and the solution that Jonathan is mentioning is one of several solutions.

  Paul Kane: (11:07) Thanks

  Grace Abuhamad: (11:08) Chuck is not able to attend the meeting today, but we will note this for him

  Paul Kane: (11:10) Happy to join - Grace could you add me to their list please

  Grace Abuhamad: (11:10) Will do @Paul

  CHERYL Langdon-Orr 2: (11:10) Great always happy to get back some time

  matthew shears: (11:10) thanks all

  Maarten Simon, ccNSO: (11:10) Thanks all

  Eduardo Diaz (ALAC): (11:10) See you soon!

  Trang Nguyen: (11:10) Thank you, Jonathan! Thanks everyone.

  Paul Kane: (11:10) Thanks all

  Akram 2: (11:10) Thank you all

  Sabine Meyer (GAC - Germany): (11:11) thanks and see you soon!

  Jaap Akkerhuis (SSAC): (11:11) Bye all

  Greg Shatan: (11:11) Bye!

  CHERYL Langdon-Orr 2: (11:11) Bye for now and  afe travels

  jorge cancio (GAC Switzerland): (11:11) bye to all

  CHERYL Langdon-Orr 2: (11:11) Safe

  • No labels