Attendees: 

Sub-Group Members:  Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Chuck Gomes, Mary Uduma, Olivier Crepin-Leblond

Staff:  Xavier Calvez, Grace Abuhamad, Marika Konings, Brenda Brewer 

**Please let Brenda know if your name has been left off the list (attendees or apologies).**

Transcript

Transcript CWG DT-O #4 9 April.doc

Transcript CWG DT-O #4 9 April.pdf

Recording

The Adobe Connect recording is available here:  https://icann.adobeconnect.com/p34f5eh1fjt/

The audio recording is available here:   http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-dto-09apr15-en.mp3

Agenda

• Discuss Questions on the analysis done by Finance team
  • Finalize template and send to CWG

Notes and Action Items

Action (Xavier -- by mid next week): Do a reconciliation of heads to FTE, identifying separately the IANA department’s headcount vs the other contributing personnel, and add it to the analysis for clarity. 

Question from Olivier (copied from email): The costs that Xavier has provided us are current costs estimated by a method clearly laid out in the table -- and they are very helpful to show how many "hidden costs" there are. However, in your estimation, Xavier, if the IANA Function was to be standalone in a separate entity, how much premium would that command on costs? In other words, current costs benefit from economies of scale. Would you be able to estimate what this economy of scale is? 1%? 2%? 5%? 10%? I am plain guessing....

Discussion and response

If and when we get to a point where we need to get costs for a standalone entity, then we could work with Xavier to look into the parameters of such an assessment 

Shared costs would be where the economies of scale are. 

The less easily visible costs are the ones pertaininig to communications and governance. For example, financial audit is done for the whole organization, not separate for IANA. So, there are costs that do not exist today, but could be created as a result of a separate entity for IANA.

Action (staff): pull transcript for Xavier's responses and provide for the CWG. 

Are there any discounts or amortization for website/ IT services?

Action (Xavier) by end of day Monday PST -- Give Xavier another opportunity to review his documents before sending to the CWG. He'll respond with documents by early next week. Add clarification on depreciation. 

Action (Grace): Edit and send the document. When sending to CWG, note that Xavier will provide budget documents by end of day PST on Monday. 

---> Edit: Write "IANA operations costs" instead of  "IANA costs" in the document. 

Chat Transcript

Brenda Brewer: (4/9/2015 07:19) Good day and welcome to the DTO meeting #4 on 9 April 2015.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: (07:24) Hi all

Brenda Brewer: (07:26) Hi Cheryl!

Brenda Brewer: (07:28) Mary's phone line is busy, we will continue attempts to connect her.

Grace Abuhamad: (07:30) Thanks Brenda

Xavier Calvez: (07:31) Hello all!

Chuck Gomes: (07:31) Hello all.

Mary Uduma: (07:33) Hi All

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (07:33) @Chuck: what tells you this is the last meeting? We may stumble on aomsehting huge today that will take another couple of conference calls: -)  ... or not....

Xavier Calvez: (07:35) Was trying to speak but you don't seem to hear me.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: (07:36) Oh dear  that needs fixing

Xavier Calvez: (07:36) I enabled my microophone

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: (07:36) there you are

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: (07:36) thats fine

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: (07:37) mid next week is all good

Mary Uduma: (07:37) @ Chuck you are not loud enough. I cannot hear you clearly

Chuck Gomes: (07:38) I will talk louder Mary.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: (07:38) Yes Chuck you are unusually low volume,  I have turned my vol up ti Max  for you and back diwn now for OCL

Chuck Gomes: (07:41) My head phones are on max volume.  I moved the microphone closer to my mouth.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: (07:42) thx

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: (07:45) makes perfect sense to me Xavier

Mary Uduma: (07:46) Yes

Xavier Calvez: (07:46) yes, it is better

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (07:46) volume has improved

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (07:52) aaaah the famous unknown unknown costs! :-)

Marika Konings: (07:56) Apologies, I have to drop off for another meeting

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: (07:56) bye Marika

Xavier Calvez: (07:56) Olivier, for the record, it is not unknown costs (I ca n not qualify about the fame...). These are simply costs that are not known today simply because they don't exist. If we try to evaluate them, they would not be unknown anymore.

Grace Abuhamad: (08:05) Agree Chuck. and noted. It's tough to note the detail and technicalities correctly, so it's better to use the transcript.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: (08:07) I'm fine with that approach

Mary Uduma: (08:09) I think the basic  financial information 

Mary Uduma: (08:11) has ben provided. If the proportion of the operating costs is applied to the depreciation costs we can find the apporximate potion of such costs.

Mary Uduma: (08:11) portion*

Mary Uduma: (08:12) I am sorry for the broken statements.  I hope you all got what I mean

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: (08:13) NP @Mary

Grace Abuhamad: (08:14) we can hear you

Xavier Calvez: (08:14) we can hear you Mary

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (08:14) yes we can very well

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (08:15) please speak

Chuck Gomes: (08:15) We hear  you

Xavier Calvez: (08:17) I unmuted my phone but you don't seem to hear me and Chuck sounds very faded to me.

Xavier Calvez: (08:21) Ok. So there is a placeholder estimate of depreciation of assets included in the analysis that I provided.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (08:21) @Xavier: excellent. fine with me

Mary Uduma: (08:22)  Ok fine by me too.

Xavier Calvez: (08:23) I definitely will add clarification on depreciation.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (08:24) @Xavier: great for us to work on this on Tuesday. Very helpful indeed

Xavier Calvez: (08:24) Understood.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (08:25) thanks for the effort!

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: (08:25) been *very helpful*

Mary Uduma: (08:25) Thanks Xavier, your participation has been very helpful to the group.

Xavier Calvez: (08:25) Thank you for the opportunity to help.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: (08:26) bye

Xavier Calvez: (08:26) Leaving now

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: (08:27) Works for me

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: (08:29) IANA Oporations costs Mary?

Grace Abuhamad: (08:30) Mary -- Is this what you wanted :Write "IANA services costs" instead of  "IANA costs" in the document

Mary Uduma: (08:32) CLO  you got it and agree with your proposal

Mary Uduma: (08:33) +1 Grace

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: (08:33) Perfect Grace

Mary Uduma: (08:33) Yes I have already agreed

Mary Uduma: (08:36) Thanks O Group, great outcomes. Bye all

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: (08:36) Thansk Chuck  Thanks  everyoine :-)

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: (08:36)  bye

• No labels