Attendees: 

Sub-Group Members:   Chuck Gomes, Alan Greenberg, Mary Uduma, Olivier Crepin-Leblond, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Vika Mpisane

Staff:  Grace Abuhamad, Xavier Calvez, Brenda Brewer, Alain Durand

**Please let Brenda know if your name has been left off the list (attendees or apologies).**

Transcript

Transcript CWG DT-O 6 April.doc

Transcript CWG DT-O 6 April.pdf

Recording

The Adobe Connect recording is available here:  https://icann.adobeconnect.com/p5xsrxpd1xo/

The audio recording is available here:  http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-dto-06apr15-en.mp3                

Agenda

1.       Preliminaries

a.      Start recording

b.      Roll call

c.      Welcome to Xavier

2.       Update on questions asked of Xavier (Grace)

3.       Discussion with Xavier

a.      Introductory questions/comments from Xavier

b.      Discussion of DT-O recommendations

c.      Next steps for the Finance  Team

4.       Next steps for DT-O

a.      Are any changes needed to DT-O recommendations?

b.      Action items to finalize DT-O recommendations?

c.      Are any other meetings needed this week?

5.       AOB

Notes

Discussion with Xavier

There are as many different costs as there are purposes. Asking the question is sometimes more complicated that answering it. Important to understand the context.

1. Is Finance working on a current breakout of IANA costs? When will that be available?

Yes, draft is ready. The question asked in pulling this together was "how much does the IANA Function cost ICANN today?". 

DT-O will be 'test audience' for the  Another call would be useful. Question by email are welcome to allow for preparation. 

The costs are not for a specific customer (such as the the ccTLDs). What is provided is the total cost for operating the IANA Function.

Action (Xavier): Share information with Design Team by Tuesday 14:00 UTC. 

Action (Chuck): Share information on breakout of IANA costs with CWG Co-Chairs before taking any additional steps. 

Action (Brenda): Schedule a call on Wednesday or Thursday (look back at previous Doodle poll and Xavier's schedule) 

2. Identify all costs (operational and recurring) shown in the budget that pertain to IANA function  - this includes items converted in other parts of the budget and that are shared with other departments.

What budget are we referring to? FY15 and FY16

The document that will answer Q1 will probably answer most of Q2 and all of Q3. 

There is an IANA department (dedicated resources), and there are other non-IANA department resources that contribute to the IANA Function operation. 

Need to be clear about information needed. Maybe asking specific questions after a solution is agreed to is a better path forward. 

Questions will be answered in writing. Spell out the requests for information. The requests need to be very clear. Xavier is willing to help make the questions specific. 

Next steps for DT-O

Edit: The IANA Function's comprehensive costs should be transparent for any future state of the IANA Function

Next step is to have a meeting on Wednesday or Thursday (with Xavier)

Group to submit questions in writing on mailing list by Wednesday (so that Xavier can prepare)

Action Items

Action (Xavier): Share information with Design Team by Tuesday 14:00 UTC. 

Action (Chuck): Share information on breakout of IANA costs with CWG Co-Chairs before taking any additional steps. 

Action (Brenda): Schedule a call on Wednesday or Thursday (look back at previous Doodle poll and Xavier's schedule) 

Chat Transcript

Brenda Brewer: (13:57) Hello and welcome to the DT-O meeting on 6 April.

Vika: (14:04) Vika Mpisane is my full name, Chuck:-)

Grace Abuhamad: (14:05) Vika-- I muted you line since there was an echo

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: (14:06) Great  Thanks Grace  so Xavier  has had our questions 'with notice'...

Grace Abuhamad: (14:06) Yes

Xavier Calvez: (14:10) I am in the Adobe room now and have hung up from the phone bridge.

Xavier Calvez: (14:11) Can you hear when I speak?

Brenda Brewer: (14:12) we cannot hear you Xavier

Grace Abuhamad: (14:12) we can hear you now

Vika: (14:14) Share with the Design Team first

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: (14:16) ASAP

Vika: (14:16) ASAP will help

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: (14:16)  we cose of  by 10th

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: (14:17) cose = close

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: (14:18) makes 'erfect sense' Xavier///

Brenda Brewer: (14:20) I will get back with you momentarily Chuck.

Mary Uduma: (14:21) Check the global call schedules please @ Chuck

Alan Greenberg: (14:21) Vika voice very faint

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: (14:21) fine volume  for me @Alan

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: (14:22) Mute yur speakers @Vica

Vika: (14:22) My question is: will the information distinguish between IANA costs attributable to ccTLDs vs costs attributable to other IANA customers?

Vika: (14:22) yes, Xavier, you understood well

Vika: (14:22) Oh ok that's fine then

Vika: (14:23) Thanks Xavier

Vika: (14:24) I've muted, Cheryl:-)

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: (14:24) Total costs of oporation of IANA within ICANN  is a good start of course, but obviously  some breakout (later) will be both useful to our communities, but also 'easier' once this initial work has niw been done...

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: (14:24) Argh sorry about all my typos... )524 here and clearly bnot enough coffee taken yet

Vika: (14:24) No

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: (14:25) I agree  @Alan...  you made mny point muych clearer...

Vika: (14:26) Agreed, Alan

Mary Uduma: (14:26) I think there had been attempt in the past to do the separation.  The document by ccNSO coud provide a good starting point in the direction of  breakdown of costs.

Vika: (14:26) I was checking if ICANN already structure IANA costs along the lines of distinguishing between customers, but I agree that's not important at this stage

Grace Abuhamad: (14:28) that's correct Chuck

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (14:33) Tha's excellent! Just what we needed, Xavier.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: (14:34) be in audio only now while I drive

Grace Abuhamad: (14:36) Mary please mute your line

Vika: (14:37) Xavier, when then should one expect ICANN to measure its costs in more detail than it currently does...say by costing each activity to better understand its contribution to costs?

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (14:37) We've lost Chuck

Vika: (14:37) We have some terrible echo:-(

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (14:37) We've lost Xavier sorry

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (14:37) everyone!

Xavier Calvez: (14:38) I was finished but we stilll have someone not muted

Grace Abuhamad: (14:38) Mary please let me mute your line

Xavier Calvez: (14:38) I am muted

Brenda Brewer: (14:41) Mary's line is unmuted...

Vika: (14:46) Fully agreed, Chuck

Alan Greenberg: (14:52) Agree that the costs should be known, just questioning whether it is on the critical path to transition. If can be done now without undue delay, fine.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (14:52) I would add to what Cheryl said: we need very realistic numbers for the total capital, running & operating costs of IANA. Absent these figures, our report will likely raise these questions from NTIA.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (14:52) NTIa & others

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (14:55) Re: Capex & Amortization: so Xavier is receiving notice that we'll need this too. 1+2+3 I think are all needed.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (14:55) hence with so little time on our hands, I felt the earliest notice is better to give Xavier & his team adequate notice and time

Xavier Calvez: (15:30) no one else from my team is nneded at this stage.

Grace Abuhamad: (15:33) My notes don't cover the detail of the conversation, but there will be a transcript within 24h

Xavier Calvez: (15:33) Thank you.

Xavier Calvez: (15:34)  with pleasure.

• No labels