Attendees: 

Sub-Group Members:   Chuck Gomes, James Gannon, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Olivier Crepin-Leblond

Staff:  Grace Abuhamad, Marika Konings, Berry Cobb

**Please let Brenda know if your name has been left off the list (attendees or apologies).**

Transcript

Transcript CWG DT-O #1 1 April.doc

Transcript CWG DT-O #1 1 April.pdf

Recording

The Adobe Connect recording is available here:  https://icann.adobeconnect.com/p78xz7xl2ni/

The audio recording is available here:  http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-cwg-dto-iana-01apr15-en.mp3

Notes

Edits to Background/Current State

• Add a 2nd sentence to note that there is an existing separation in the budget/contract (that there is a current separation requirement and the CWG aims to enhance that. 

Suggestion for 2nd sentence: The need for clearer itemization/ identification of IANA costs is consistent with the current requirement between NTIA and the IFO to separate policy and operations budgets. 

Action (James): need citation to contract requirement for budget separation  

• Itemization may prove more difficult since resources are shared within the company (there is no separate budget for IANA)

Action (Grace): Transfer DT-O request for Finance staff member to join next DT-O call 

Edit to Issues Identified & Rationale for Changes, if any

• Include a preparatory statement about recognizing the limitations of what Finance can do now/today
  • Suggestion to move items 1-5 to 'recommendations' section (although it would be helpful to get some of this in the near term) --> AGREED by group 
  • DT-O needs to give direction to the CCWG-Acct --> reccommend to CCWG-Acct that what is necessary for transition will be in WS1, and what is desired can be in WS2 (but as a priority 1 item)

Action (Marika): edit the document and send around clean/redlined version

• Switch priority order 2 and 3. Also, include a parenthetical in point about commenting on budget to note that this work can be done after 10 April. 

Questions/Tasks for Finance

• Is Finance working on a current breakout of IANA costs? When will that be available?
  • Identify all costs (operational and reoccurring) shown in the budget that pertain to IANA function  - this includes items convered in other parts of the budget and that are shared with other departments
  • Make suggestions as to how these shared costs ould be itemised and allocated on a per department basis -> hence itemising the IANA functions equivalent cost 

Action (Grace): look at email exchange between Chuck and James and pull questions for Finance 

Action (Brenda): Doodle poll for Thursday and Friday this week and next week (to select 2 or 3 meetings before 10 April. Please do 30 min intervals so that we can try to 
find at least one 90min call slot. 

Action Items

Action (James): need citation to contract requirement for budget separation  

Action (Grace): Transfer DT-O request for Finance staff member to join next DT-O cal

Action (Marika): edit the document and send around clean/redlined version

Action (Grace): look at email exchange between Chuck and James and pull questions for Finance 

Action (Brenda): Doodle poll for Thursday and Friday this week and next week (to select 2 or 3 meetings before 10 April. Please do 30 min intervals so that we can try to find at least one 90 min call slot. 

Chat Transcript

Marika Konings: (4/1/2015 06:03) Welcome to the Design Team O meeting of 1 April 2015

James Gannon: (06:56) I am earlier than I thought!

Bernard Turcotte - staff support: (07:00) morning all

Chuck Gomes: (07:01) Could Marika's latest version of the template be posted?

Chuck Gomes: (07:01) Good morning all

James Gannon: (07:01) Morning Chuck

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (07:02) I am still awaiting a dial out

Brenda Brewer: (07:03) calling Olivier now

Brenda Brewer: (07:05) having trouble reaching you Olivier...trying again!

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (07:05) I can lsioten here & will let you know when I am ablae to speak

Grace Abuhamad: (07:06) More staff than DT-O members :p

James Gannon: (07:06) Not ominous at all =)

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (07:06) on the call now :-)

Marika Konings: (07:07) Just noticed that 'today' in comment 2 should be read as 'to date'

Marika Konings: (07:08) 'to do' actually....

Brenda Brewer: (07:10) Cheryl in now on Phone line

Marika Konings: (07:11) No, that is Grace

Marika Konings: (07:11) she is covering the notes today

Bernard Turcotte - staff support: (07:12) sorry have to deop off now.

James Gannon: (07:12) /s/budget/contract Grace

James Gannon: (07:13) Perfect

Grace Abuhamad: (07:13) James -- Did I catch you edit?

Grace Abuhamad: (07:13) ok

Grace Abuhamad: (07:14) James -- can  you look for the citation in the contract for this

Grace Abuhamad: (07:14) So that we can cite the right section

James Gannon: (07:14) Will do.

Grace Abuhamad: (07:14) Great. Thanks

James Gannon: (07:17) +1 chuck that was my intention with the addition

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: (07:17) Finally got into the AC room... 

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (07:23) the worth of having a finance staffon the calls is to be able to have immediate answers when we ask them

James Gannon: (07:23) +1 Olivier

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (07:23) for example;: the issue of FTEs that has been raised here could immediately be answered on the call if a member of the finance staff was on the call

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (07:24) so we're looking at max 2 or 3 x 1 hour calls. Surprised that Finance wouldn't have someone spare to be on the call

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (07:25) most questions, I think, will probably be wrt accuracy of our understnading of the current process

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: (07:28) Terminology like "speciificity in more complete and detatailed costs and budgeting details in an "IANA as a 'cost centre' reporting, with clear deliniation of line items,  distributions and alloctions etc., model"   or some such is what I am after...

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: (07:28) Excellent question @Chuck !

Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2: (07:33) agree with you @james

Marika Konings: (07:34) So maybe that is a question for finance? Confirm what budget information is currently publicly available in relation to IANA?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2: (07:34) we should be able however to get a more complete *reporting*  now in this commingle budget

Marika Konings: (07:35) @Cheryl - I don't disagree with that, but is that the task of this Design Team?

Marika Konings: (07:35) @Chuck - yes, that is how I read them: potential future recommendations on what should be made available

Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2: (07:35) based *ON* the improvements towards better detailed by project analysis that we now see in the draft budget

James Gannon: (07:36) Yes understanding that the published budget may have IANA related costs captured in other projects and cost areas, can a comprehensive rollup on IANA related costs be provided, including infratrcture costs, staff costs and security and reliliencey costs related to IANA opertation

Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2: (07:38) yes move the points to Recs now and still request for what we can get now is my preference

James Gannon: (07:38) Agree Chuck

James Gannon: (07:40) With the caveat that we still reuqest a comprehensive rollup

Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2: (07:40) still in line

Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2: (07:44)  thanks OCL

James Gannon: (07:45) Any finance system has the capability to do that, its the process that may be complex

Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2: (07:46) yes to the 'breakout's question @chuck

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (07:46) Suggested Tasks for Finance Dept. (as I have just mentioned them)

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (07:47) 1. identify all costs shown in the budget that pertain to the IANA function  - this includes items convered in other parts of the budget and that are shared with other departments

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (07:47) 2. make suggestions as to how these share costs could be itemised and allocated on a per department basis -> hence itemising the IANA functions equivalent cost

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (07:48) I think James mentions "recurring costs" as "operation costs

Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2: (07:49) important clarification @james

James Gannon: (07:49) I didint send that to the list sending now

Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2: (07:50) thanks /james

Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2: (07:51) and yes to including those issues in our new list for finance, 

James Gannon: (07:55) I have to go across to the IAG-WHOIS call in 5 mins just in case you see me leave while a discussion is ongoing

Grace Abuhamad: (07:55) Thanks @James

Marika Konings: (07:56) Maybe the DT can recommend that the CWG makes these recommendations to the ICANN Finance Team?

James Gannon: (08:00) Gotta jump across folks, speak to you all later on list.

Grace Abuhamad: (08:00) Ok, so maybe change the priority order?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2: (08:01) fair point @grace but I go with mention / prioritise and  split delivery approach as @chuck is now outlining

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (08:01) @Marika - yes agreed & I agreee with Chuck's plan on the call

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (08:02) switching 2 & 3 ok

Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2: (08:02) had to switch to my other call still in AC though

Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2: (08:02)     o need to redial me please

Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2: (08:03) NO need to redial me  than

James Gannon: (08:03) I can if needed yes

Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2: (08:03) thanks   I am OK for another call this week trick is when

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (08:03) I am ready to do another meeting this week - time is of the essence

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (08:04) I have said no to all calls on Friday this week but will differ on this

Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2: (08:04) Yes I can do thrvsame $ OCL

Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2: (08:04) should read the same as OCL

Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2: (08:05) he and I are already in our other call. IANA of course :-)

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (08:05) I am sorry I need to run to the other call :-)

James Gannon: (08:06) 90mins prob works best

James Gannon: (08:06) for me

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (08:09) works for me too

Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2: (08:09) great call thanks @chuck bye all

• No labels