Attendees: 

Sub-Group Members:   Avri Doria, Chuck Gomes, Staffan Jonson

Staff:  Berry Cobb, Marika Konings, Brenda Brewer

**Please let Brenda know if your name has been left off the list (attendees or apologies).**

Transcript

Transcript CWG DT-M meeting 23 March.doc

Transcript CWG DT-M meeting 23 March.pdf

Recording

The Adobe Connect recording is available here:  https://icann.adobeconnect.com/p5r2b8813jk/

The audio recording is available here:   http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-dtm-23mar15-en.mp3

Notes

23 March 2015 Notes:

• Good start to DT-M structure to share with larger team; leave Istanbul prepared to complete overal deliverable
  • IANA escalation email can be used by anyone; channel used very little
  • Review of Use-Cases; incorrect address could be Compliance enforcement; other use cases; could be redirected to IANA
  • Nothing formal in place regarding escalation external to IANA, with the exception of the Ombudsman as listed on iana.org
  • Question: how does Compliance connect to IANA, or vice-versa?
  • ICANN Contractual Compliance only enforces contracts for which they are a party two, only gTLDs.  non-IANA issues for ccTLD registry issues likely addressed at local level (confirmed by Staffan on ccTLDs, especially those that pre-date ICANN)
  • ACTION: In the few ccTLD agreements with ICANN - Check to see if their are provisions about updating root zone and/or interaction with IANA
  • Question: Should DT-M connect with DT-B?
  • gTLDs - ICANN Contractual Compliance is most likely route for gTLDs
  • In case of emergency, can anyone in the community use the Emergency Number? Marika, understanding # is only for direct customers, but if something is flagged as a real emergency, likely not to ignore it.  Is there a means of validation of Direct Customers?  Call is routed to whomever is on-call.  IANA staff likely will know who they are speaking to.
  • Incident Mgmt (individual Ry Issue) - should the scope of complaintant be expanded?  Others with relevant issues?  Separation of function similar to CSC/MRT; should be aligned to narrowly defined interests.  Update to draft to allow for channel of non-IANA related issues.
  • DT-C recording: emphasized the process that Kurt Pritz suggested.  Described more of an internal to IANA then to ICANN escalation path.  Should those steps be listed in DT-M draft?  The internal escalation approach works up until a need for separation or if IANA were separated from ICANN structurally and not purely internal solution.  Some ccTLDs may have issue with interal escalation, leading up to ICANN Board.  Separate escalation from gTLDs and ccTLDs; likely not include ICANN Mgmt as part of overall Escalation path.  DT-C does not see CSC going beyond operational/technical issues.
  • Entry points into ICANN 1) IANA email  2)ICANN Customer Svc (phone, email)  3) Contractual Compliance
  • Escalation to Ombudsman - should have discretion to mediate and ensure right path of escalation, for example CSC or IAP; optional route to Ombudsman for ccTLDs directly to CSC.  Basic process can be transferred in case of separation
  • Step 7 - IAP - reaching limitation to the unknowns in overall proposal. Will an MRT be included? Is IFM been defined outside DT-M?
  • Yet to know outcome of CSC - DT-C regarding lisiaons, etc.
  • Some issue relating to IANA could be beyond the CSC, such as a new RFP from IETF.
  • Append Use Cases as appendix to DT-M draft or provide headline statement for issues to assess how they are dealt with that may not traverse the IANA entry.
  • Problem Mgmt - understanding the types of failures to be resolved at this level.
  • Preface - DT-N still WIP giving other parts of proposal yet to be determined.

Action Item:

• ACTION: In the few ccTLD agreements with ICANN - Check to see if their are provisions about updating root zone and/or interaction with IANA

Chat Transcript

Staffan Jonson:Hi all

Marika Konings:Hi All - I am having some delays here getting on the line - I hope to be there shortly.

Marika Konings:I have audio listen only for now - we are trying to get the phone to work. Avri is in the room with me.

Marika Konings:We are going to give AC audio a try

Berry Cobb:MArika, can you make me a host?

Marika Konings:Avri is here as well

Marika Konings:we hope to get connected shortly

Marika Konings:I have an update on that once I get on the phone ;-)

Brenda Brewer:we are still trying to connect Marika and Avri

Marika Konings:there is too much noise here now to use AC audio

Marika Konings:but we hope to get on the phone shortly

Marika Konings:I need to restart my Adobe as I seem to have lost control of the pods...

Berry Cobb:In Kurt's model, it didn't look like the CSC was ever involved in the escalation process.  Unless I missed a step in the chart.

Marika Konings:Thanks, Berry, so it is basically the escalation path an individual would have before turning to the CSC

Staffan Jonson:Escalation TRue DT C didn't really dive very deep into Kurts model

Berry Cobb:that's th epoint, if you are escalating to Fadi/Board, if it doesn't get resolved by then, I'd forsee real issues.  Somewhere in Kurt's path, the CSC needs to be notified.

Staffan Jonson:Kurt described it as a strawholder

Staffan Jonson:strawman, sorry

Staffan Jonson:Marika: sounds reasonable

Staffan Jonson:I'm just making a point of the fear of naming ICANN, since many cc:s fear lost independence from ICANN

Staffan Jonson:agree, leave it alone

Staffan Jonson:yepp

Staffan Jonson:Actually, the ombudsman is part of ICANN, maybe not compatable with separation of IFO

Berry Cobb:"fails to resolve issue or incident"  not to confuse with Problem Mgmt below

Berry Cobb:#4, captialize Ombudsman

Berry Cobb:I recommend to change Systemic and replace with Process or Escalation.

Berry Cobb:Systemic is system related, could confuse readers that this is a IANA system related issue.

Marika Konings:how about persistent?

Berry Cobb:#2

Berry Cobb:If CSC judges......

Berry Cobb:change it to "determines"

Berry Cobb:18utc

• No labels