November 2014 – SSAC Liaison Report

(as at 25 Nov 14)

1.            SSAC MEETINGS.  An SSAC Meeting was held on 13 November during the IETF Meeting in Hawaii.

2.            SSAC WORK PARTIES.  I am currently participating in three SSAC Work Parties and have attended a total of 9 Work Party Meetings in the last 4 weeks:

• IANA Transition: Meetings have been held on 7, 13, 15, 17 and 20 November.  This WP has already produced two SSAC Reports: SAC067 and SAC068.  The third report has been under active discussion for quite some time and, while the SSAC had hoped to publish this report well before now, there continues to be important contribution and discussion on a number of issues.
  • New gTLDs - Mid-course correction, Collisions, Timing of next round: The first meeting was held on 6 November and a further meeting on 20 November.
  • Registrant Protection/Credential Management: The first meeting was held on 6 November and a further meeting on 13 November.

All of these Work Parties are covering topics that are of significant interest to the ALAC and I have volunteered to serve on the latter two.  While not a member of the IANA Transition Work Party, I have participated in the most recent meetings of this groups and contributed to the review of more recent stages of the draft Report.

3.            SSAC REPORTS.  Both SAC067 (Overview and History of the IANA Functions dated 15 August 2014) and SAC068 are intended as background information to assist the ICANN Community as a whole in its work to develop an IANA Stewardship Transition Proposal.  Both reports have been translated into all 5 UN languages.  A third report is still being developed by the SSAC covering security and stability considerations for the Transition.

4.            Cross Community Working Group to Develop an IANA Stewardship Transition Proposal on Naming Related Functions.  The SSAC Representatives on this CCWG are Robert Guerra and Jaap Akkerhuis.

5.            Cross Community Working Group to Enhance ICANN Accountability.  The SSAC Chair has advised that the SSAC has chosen to not actively participate in this CCWG because of resource considerations.  However, at the appropriate time, the SSAC may comment on various actions and decisions taken or suggested should there be security and stability implications.

• No labels