Terri Agnew: (11/25/2014 13:50) Welcome to the ALAC Monthly meeting on Tuesday 25 November 2014 at 20:00 UTC.

Terri Agnew: (13:50) meeting page: https://community.icann.org/x/QDTxAg

Heidi Ullrich: (13:51) Welcome, All!

Eduardo Diaz: (13:54) ¡hola a todos!

Vanda Scartezini: (13:55) hi everyone

Vanda Scartezini: (13:55)  hola a todos!!

Gisella Gruber: (13:55) Hola Vanda - are you going to be on English or Spanish today?

Vanda Scartezini: (13:57) I am in the English already entered

Gisella Gruber: (13:57) Thank you Vanda

Hadja: (13:57) Hello everyone !

Holly Raiche: (13:57) Good morning everyone

Raf Fatani: (13:58) Hello all!

Raf Fatani: (13:58) Alan I may only be able to do a part of this call due to timing

Vanda Scartezini: (13:58) good night Holly

Alberto Soto: (13:59) Hello everyone!

Wolf Ludwig: (14:00) Interesting comment ;-)

Gisella Gruber: (14:00) Beran has joined the audio bridge

Vanda Scartezini: (14:00) what an ecco...

Leon Sanchez: (14:00) Hello everyone!

Glenn McKnight: (14:00) sound quality on adigo was odd

Wolf Ludwig: (14:01) There is still one dial-out missing to me!

Fatima Cambronero: (14:01) hello everyone

Wolf Ludwig: (14:01) Will check with Sandra and Jimmy!

Beran Gillen: (14:01) hello everyone

Vanda Scartezini: (14:02) hola Fatima

Alan Greenberg: (14:02) Please MUTE!!!

Glenn McKnight: (14:02) Ed and  Glenn are here from  NARALO

Fatima Cambronero: (14:03) hola Vanda!

Fatima Cambronero: (14:03) in the Spanish channel the audio is very low

Glenn McKnight: (14:04) Aggenda  looks  good

Glenn McKnight: (14:06) It shows  alot of work

sandra hoferichter: (14:06) hi all!

Terri Agnew: (14:06) Welcome Sandra Hoferichter

Glenn McKnight: (14:06) Hi Sandra

Glenn McKnight: (14:07) Olivier  has  a  question

Alan Greenberg: (14:08) Yes, I see,

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (14:09) I just wanted to flag that I needed 1 minute in Any Other business to provide an update about the call for expressions of interest for the ICANN Accountability track. My AC was to slow to put the hand up

Terri Agnew: (14:10) Welcome Yubelkys Montalvo

Yubelkys Montalvo: (14:10) thanks!

Terri Agnew: (14:11) Policy Advice Development Page: https://community.icann.org/x/bwFO

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (14:12) Sorry I did not see if in "CCWG Selection"

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (14:12) too many CCWGs :-)

Glenn McKnight: (14:12) When did this call go out, only to ALAC?

Raf Fatani: (14:12) I am happy to do it in conjunction with others

Glenn McKnight: (14:13) I will comment too

Glenn McKnight: (14:13) Please provide the link

Holly Raiche: (14:13) I

Holly Raiche: (14:13) I was also going to put my hand up

Glenn McKnight: (14:13) Also  Holly

Ariel Liang: (14:14) Here is the Public Comment that we are discussing: https://community.icann.org/x/izTxAg

Glenn McKnight: (14:14) Thanks  Ariel

Ariel Liang: (14:14) my pleasure

Vanda Scartezini: (14:14) I can work with leon

Heidi Ullrich: (14:15) Thanks, Vanda. We have noted your request.

Holly Raiche: (14:16) This is bizarre!

Beran Gillen: (14:17) huh?

Leon Sanchez: (14:17) I'm not sure I'm following

Wolf Ludwig: (14:17) So do I ;-)

Terri Agnew: (14:17) Welcome Berry Cobb

Beran Gillen: (14:17) am lost!!

Glenn McKnight: (14:17) Its  not  a burning issue for me either

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (14:17) This indirect contention thing shows the big gaping holes of the Applicant Guidebook

Vanda Scartezini: (14:17) not me. oher issues more relevant

Glenn McKnight: (14:17) Bigger  issues  need our  attention

Zahra: (14:18) Hello every body

Wolf Ludwig: (14:18) Agree with Olivier's point!

Wolf Ludwig: (14:20) I recall: Openness as a rule and whenever possible -- closed in exceptional cases only?

Vanda Scartezini: (14:21) @ wolf. for me could the best option

Glenn McKnight: (14:21) I think Open and Transparent  voting is preferred.  I am sure  good  arguments  were made  for a secret votes.  My preference should be known

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (14:21) is this a vote? :-)

Glenn McKnight: (14:21) Ha  ha  Olivier

Fatima Cambronero: (14:21) +1 @Glenn. Open and transparent

Vanda Scartezini: (14:22) i am infavor of open but understanding the option ALan is stating

Leon Sanchez: (14:22) I too agree that if the default used to be open, we should go back to open  as a default unless there is no recommendation from RALOs

Glenn McKnight: (14:22) Click on ticks

Jimmy Schulz: (14:23) I don´t know enough yet about the former discussions. But it sounds reasonable.

Fatima Cambronero: (14:25) can you repeat the question?

Holly Raiche: (14:25) My tick is an approval

Raf Fatani: (14:26) who will be prevy to this information exactly?

Raf Fatani: (14:26) OK - thank you

Fatima Cambronero: (14:26) thanks. I wanted to know if the question was in positive or negative sense

Fatima Cambronero: (14:27) yes, I put my tick. I agree :)

Wolf Ludwig: (14:30) This was *always* confusing in the past!

Dev Anand Teelucksingh: (14:30) Indeed, the wording was confusing

Holly Raiche: (14:31) That makes no sense -

Vanda Scartezini: (14:31) we need to change this for sure!

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (14:31) It was not being followed in order to work. Following the rules doesn't work. :-)

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (14:33) The information that is shared includes personal information that breaks data protection laws in Europe, they said

Vanda Scartezini: (14:34) remember that...

Otunte Otueneh: (14:34) my internet connection is not too good and it is not allowing me to follow the meeting well

Vanda Scartezini: (14:34) Jimmi can you clean up your green?

Vanda Scartezini: (14:35) or this is about what?

Jimmy Schulz: (14:35) @Vanda: done

Dev Anand Teelucksingh: (14:36) the due diligence could be on a password protected page on the wiki that only the ALAC members and RALO chairs could view

Fatima Cambronero: (14:36) I like Leon suggestion

Terri Agnew: (14:36) @Otunte Otueneh, please let us know if you would like us to dial out to you on telephone

Holly Raiche: (14:38) Just a thought - is this an issue that should be part of the larger review of ALAC?

Garth Graham: (14:40) "monitoring" the involvement of and ALS implies a parent child relationship with ALAC.  If so, that's weird .

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (14:41) @Dev: I agree with you. I see two problems with Due Diligence: 1. it does not go deep enough so any information in due diligence can be faked and 2. it is then shown to everyone and therefore is a privacy risk

Otunte Otueneh: (14:43) @Terri, it is better now. but I can't see the presentation

Dev Anand Teelucksingh: (14:43) @Olivier, indeed.

Glenn McKnight: (14:43) Due Diligence  procedures  should  be consistent

Glenn McKnight: (14:44) Perhaps some of the  existing ALS  wouldn't pass the mustard

Glenn McKnight: (14:45) @ Fatima  is right  it  requires  more  intensive  evaluation

Raf Fatani: (14:45) I agree with Fatima on this

Beran Gillen: (14:46) just to let you know we are also working on some of these issues  in AFRALO ROP Working Group

Beran Gillen: (14:46) +1 Fatima

Garth Graham: (14:47) Do I understand that metrics are a question of expectations for invovlement, not for certification/

Leon Sanchez: (14:48) +1 to Fatima

Wolf Ludwig: (14:48) Plus 1, Garth!

Hadja: (14:49) yes +1 Fatima

Raf Fatani: (14:49) which RALO?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: (14:50) best resend the call for EOI's out with the deadline reminder...

Ariel Liang: (14:51) Hi Cheryl, Olivier and I have sent two rounds of reminders. I am planning to send out a couple of more rounds

Raf Fatani: (14:51) I think we should be regionaly balanced if possible

Holly Raiche: (14:51) I'd like to at least try for the 5 regions

Alberto Soto: (14:52) that regions have presented?

Jimmy Schulz: (14:52) which region is missing?

Beran Gillen: (14:52) i believe we should try to get a rep from the 5 different regions unless when there are no applicants from a region

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: (14:52) descretion or no

Leon Sanchez: (14:53) It would be better to have one representative per region

Holly Raiche: (14:53) I'd like to at least try for regional representation

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: (14:53)  I think a best effort TO get the Regional Diversity if humanly possible...

Leon Sanchez: (14:53) +1 Holly

Fatima Cambronero: (14:53) +1 Leon & Holly

Alan Greenberg: (14:55) @Cheryl, but if they cannot fill them now (and with only 3 EoIs, they will not!)  should they re-open as a first option?

Alan Greenberg: (14:56) Charter gives EVERY min or 2 and max of 5 selected according to their own rules.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: (14:57) you have not hit ypur deadline yet@alan you need tontrybto get more EOI's of course...

Fatima Cambronero: (14:58) agree Cheryl, In some cases people maybe understand that a lof of people of their region could be apply. Now they have the oportunity to do

Terri Agnew: (15:00) Welcome Judith Hellerstein

judith hellerstein: (15:02) HI All.

judith hellerstein: (15:02) HI Zahra

Fatima Cambronero: (15:02) if this group is similar than the CWG on IANA, it demands a lot of time!

Vanda Scartezini: (15:05) that is the main issue . I could apply but this time my days are totally occupied  till march and can not commit with travel around if demanded... my main concern

Leon Sanchez: (15:05) That seems reasonable

Fatima Cambronero: (15:05) agree @Alan

Vanda Scartezini: (15:05) + 1 Alan

Wolf Ludwig: (15:05) Agree with Alan!

Leon Sanchez: (15:05) Agree with Alan

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: (15:05) the tick was my agree @alan

Glenn McKnight: (15:05) fine with me

Jimmy Schulz: (15:06) agree

Raf Fatani: (15:06) Fine with me

Hadja: (15:06) agree

Yubelkys Montalvo: (15:06) ok

Terri Agnew: (15:06) FBSC Workspace: https://community.icann.org/x/n4XT

Terri Agnew: (15:08) Olivier has been disconnected and we are dialing back out to him

Terri Agnew: (15:09) Olivier is back

Glenn McKnight: (15:09) We have  Darlene and Alan Skuce reps from NARALO

Glenn McKnight: (15:10) Makes sense  Alan

Beran Gillen: (15:11) when will the new sub committee be constituted?

Fatima Cambronero: (15:11) ;)

Dev Anand Teelucksingh: (15:11) The proposal for the FBSC composition appears reasonable. There is an impact to the CROPP RT which I'm sure would be discussed later

Yubelkys Montalvo: (15:11) everything is clear

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: (15:12) I truxtbyou will BD CA

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: (15:13) long for Members and Participants not just the Members as described

Beran Gillen: (15:13) if two ALAC members volunteer for the sub committee from the same region, how will the final choice be made

Alan Greenberg: (15:17) @Beran, I would suggest that they decide among themselves. In youcase, it is a bit more difficult because I have already asked Tijani to participate. Let's talk about this privately.

Beran Gillen: (15:17) ok

Heidi Ullrich: (15:19) Please keep in mind that many of the RALO requests are for travel which could be covered by the CROPP or for support activities which are part of normal ICANN support activities.

judith hellerstein: (15:20) What about support for Captioning of meetings?  Would that be under support activiities or something else

judith hellerstein: (15:20) i am talking about the adobe connect meetings

Garth Graham: (15:21) + Olivier.  We are advocates for the end user!

judith hellerstein: (15:21) also captioning of videos produced

Wolf Ludwig: (15:22) Totally agree with Olivier's points -- even if the process over the last years was completely frustrating, we should *insist* on the bottom-up principle!

Fatima Cambronero: (15:23) +1 Wolf

Leon Sanchez: (15:23) bottom up should be the line to follow

Glenn McKnight: (15:24) What was funded  in last round? 

Glenn McKnight: (15:24) None of our  NARALO  submissioins were funded

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (15:24) Do proposals for IGF overlap the CROPP?

Glenn McKnight: (15:25) Our  submissioin was for  new  PR  literature based upon Mailcard  format with QR code

Fatima Cambronero: (15:25) are those proposal for outreach? I understand that CROPP is for outreach...

Terri Agnew: (15:25) At-Large ICANN 52 - February 2015 Workspace: https://community.icann.org/x/kiTxAg

Glenn McKnight: (15:25) Naralo proposals  were not  overlapping with CROPP

Heidi Ullrich: (15:25) @Judith, this type of support should be requested to IT. If there is no budget for that now, then a Special request might be considered.

Glenn McKnight: (15:26) Judith and I have been advocating for  Captioning

Alan Greenberg: (15:27) @Glenn. Nothing was ultimately funded. One IGF proposal was approved (after a lot of discussion with finance), but the MAG did not approve it so we got nothing.

Glenn McKnight: (15:27) @ Alan  that is sad

judith hellerstein: (15:27) Thanks Heidi will follow up with this. WE ahve been working with Laura from icann on this as well

Fatima Cambronero: (15:28) Glen, we receive a lot of proposal to Worshop; we have to decide among them. If this year you send a new proposal of Workshop, please, let me know. I can guide you in the requirements

Fatima Cambronero: (15:28) sorry  Glenn

Glenn McKnight: (15:28) Thanks

Heidi Ullrich: (15:28) @Glenn, several of the NARALO proposals were for printing. We will be reaching out to the Outreach Group and RALOs to update the RALO brochures - including QR codes if requested

Eduardo Diaz: (15:29) What is an ALP meeting?

Dev Anand Teelucksingh: (15:29) @Indeed, also the At-Large brochure may need to be updated, as well as RALO brochures

Glenn McKnight: (15:29) Our  brochure is sadly out of date and not attractive

Fatima Cambronero: (15:30) agree @Dev

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (15:30) It is worth noting that the IGF proposal which was approved was not approved by the MAG but another proposal from an ALS and that could have been supporting our Accessibility Issues WG was accepted by the MAG but ICANN Finance refused to finance this, saying that approvals were directly linked to workshops and non transferable; I found that to be very unhelpful, showing disdain to the At-Large volunteer community

Heidi Ullrich: (15:30) @Olivierr - two proposals for IGF workshops were accepted, albeit at a reduced level than requested. However, neither workshop were approved by the MAG/IGF.

Beran Gillen: (15:30) @Eduardo At Large Leadership Team meeting (ALT)

Heidi Ullrich: (15:30) @Dev, I'll e reaching out to Murray and you shortly to begin the process

Dev Anand Teelucksingh: (15:30) @Eduardo - its ALT

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (15:31) @Heidi: a workshop is a workshop & flexibility should have been shown if there had been real intent to support the community

Heidi Ullrich: (15:31) There are two ALT meetings in Singapore - 1) Saturday, 7 Feb 16:00-18:00 and Friday, 13 Feb 9:00-13:00.

Raf Fatani: (15:31) Can we do a doodle poll every month?

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (15:31) but thisis old news & we'll see if next year we fare any better

Vanda Scartezini: (15:31) we need to be fair with the people  and not leave them all the time in bad hours

Raf Fatani: (15:32) preffrences change depening on diffrent weeks

Glenn McKnight: (15:32) its  never  fair for  APRALO

Vanda Scartezini: (15:32) reason why we need to change

Holly Raiche: (15:32) Actually - this call is TERRIFIC

Eduardo Diaz: (15:32) ok

Fatima Cambronero: (15:32) what time is for you Holly?

Raf Fatani: (15:33) Can we apply this process to the RALO meeting as well

Glenn McKnight: (15:33) This  time works  for me

Holly Raiche: (15:33) IT IS  0833 right now - TERRIFIC

Vanda Scartezini: (15:33)  for me is great too. I can not complain we are in the middle from LA till Australia...

Fatima Cambronero: (15:33) ouch

Eduardo Diaz: (15:33) It is OK fro me too

Raf Fatani: (15:33) I have NEVER been able to attend a RALO meeting as its usually around 4am my time

Glenn McKnight: (15:33) Sounds  good, not  too late for Europe either

Holly Raiche: (15:33) @ Raf - try 0200!

Eduardo Diaz: (15:34) @Raf what time is for you now?

Raf Fatani: (15:34) its 9:30 PM and I am still in the offoce

Glenn McKnight: (15:34) Raf  alan is  asking you to speak

Raf Fatani: (15:36) I mentioned everything on the chat

Raf Fatani: (15:36) it's all in pink

Beran Gillen: (15:37) @raf whats wit the pink

Raf Fatani: (15:37) Can we do a doodle poll every month?

Holly Raiche: (15:38) @Raf - agree  either one doodle every month or rotation to share he pain

Fatima Cambronero: (15:38) agree with a Doolde every month

Alan Greenberg: (15:38) @Raf, no, I do not plan to do a Doodle each month. BUt there will be a more general Doodle.

Raf Fatani: (15:39) @alan - can I ask why?

Alan Greenberg: (15:39) @Beran if you look at the pull-down menu at the upper right of the chat box, you can select your colour.

Leon Sanchez: (15:39) I'm orange!

Leon Sanchez: (15:39) yay!

Jimmy Schulz: (15:40) fun with colors

Fatima Cambronero: (15:40) Green?

Fatima Cambronero: (15:40) yeah! ;)

Hadja: (15:40) agree with Alan for general Doodle

Raf Fatani: (15:40) Thank you everyone - I need to go now!

Raf Fatani: (15:40) ciao ciao

Alan Greenberg: (15:41) Why no doodle every month,  it takes a lot of effort and staff time to do this, and to get everyone to reply quickly. If we need to do this, we need to have a really strong rationale.

Leon Sanchez: (15:41) I support a general doodle

Leon Sanchez: (15:41) not a monthly

Fatima Cambronero: (15:41) it makes sense Alan..

Jimmy Schulz: (15:41) Doodle is fine with me.  Important is that its in the google calendar.

Alan Greenberg: (15:41) And moving the meeting tends to result in less attendance and not more. People have other meetings to schedule (persoanl/business) that are often scheduled further out.

Beran Gillen: (15:42) heyyyy

Beran Gillen: (15:43) am purple!!

Fatima Cambronero: (15:43) ouch on December 3 is the MAG meeting :(

Holly Raiche: (15:44) Agree with Alan - it's easier to have a set time or times that can fit into everyone's calendar rather than wait for the result of doodles each time

Beran Gillen: (15:45) @fatima thought MAG is the 1 december

Eduardo Diaz: (15:45) In any case, the webminar is mostly for the rest of ALAC/ALs that are not as involved in the CWG

Fatima Cambronero: (15:46) @Beran is from 1 December to 3 December

Beran Gillen: (15:46) oh ok cool

Fatima Cambronero: (15:46) thanks @Eduardo

Eduardo Diaz: (15:46) So they will be able to comment on the proposal during the publci comment period

Eduardo Diaz: (15:47) yes and no

Vanda Scartezini: (15:47) I could follow the last meeting and was good participation from ALAN and Olivier qith good points.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (15:47) TheWebinars are there to expalin the issue to our community and to generate comments from our community into this process

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (15:47) you can comment individually and also help the ALAC in drafting a comment

Eduardo Diaz: (15:48) @Olivier +1

Fatima Cambronero: (15:49) no

Fatima Cambronero: (15:49) thanks for the clarification @Olivier

Fatima Cambronero: (15:49) In my case I can listen the record after the meeting

judith hellerstein: (15:49) OK i am orange

Wolf Ludwig: (15:50) Just FYI: I suggested in LA to add a EURALO Review to the ALAC Review.

Beran Gillen: (15:50) welcome aboard @judith

Vanda Scartezini: (15:51)  I understood is all at large review

Wolf Ludwig: (15:53) @Vanda: but RALOs in particular were not included so far.

Terri Agnew: (15:53) @Holly, we are dialing back out to you

Vanda Scartezini: (15:53) @Wolf, should be

Glenn McKnight: (15:54) Link to the  last review?

Glenn McKnight: (15:55) Not  just  a focus on problems  I hope

Holly Raiche: (15:55) @Glen - no - more a look at where weare and where we are going -  I hope

Vanda Scartezini: (15:55) cheryl  points  shall at least be listed to organize the task. to measure the size of the task we will face

Alan Greenberg: (15:55) At the last review, it was explicitly decided NOT to focus on RALOs and ALSes because that part of At-Large was just barely getting going at the time.

Glenn McKnight: (15:56) @holly   i would hope so

Heidi Ullrich: (15:56) @Glenn, the final ALAC/AT-Large Improvements Report is at :https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=34603644

Glenn McKnight: (15:56) A  balanced  review  of the achievements,  challenges  etc

Glenn McKnight: (15:57) @Olivier   it  reminds me of the  testing  for the  sake of testing as in the Common Core  course in the US. 

Vanda Scartezini: (15:57) @ Glenn like the example

Holly Raiche: (15:58) @OCL - that is exactly what I am doing - be very clear what was recommended, what was done  before the review.  And yes, I also want a look at ATLAS II - as part ofwhere we want to be

sandra hoferichter: (15:58) I agree with Olivier too many reviews. This gives the impression we are just busy with our self.

Glenn McKnight: (15:58) It  should  be  circling the  wagons  with ATLAS  2  recommendatoins

sandra hoferichter: (15:59) maybe a constant monitoring of our processes is the better approach.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (15:59) looking at one's own navel is distracting us from working with the world around us - our community and the people at-large

Glenn McKnight: (15:59) looking for lint

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (16:00) we don't need to find lint in there, reviews already produce enough fluff

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (16:00) :-)

Holly Raiche: (16:00) @ Alan - will go through the report and implementation first - and then discuss off line

Heidi Ullrich: (16:01) Periodic reviews of the AC/SOs are mandated by the ICANN Bylaws. See the Organizational Review page: https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/reviews-2012-02-25-en

Fatima Cambronero: (16:01) my concern is that we don't have people to attend several simultaneous issues. We are involved in various processes at this time...

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (16:02) Is Thanksgiving Thursday and Friday?

Ariel Liang: (16:02) Thursday

judith hellerstein: (16:03) officially it is thursday

Vanda Scartezini: (16:03) HAPPY THANKSGIVING to all from US that respect it.

judith hellerstein: (16:03) but most places are closed friday as well

Holly Raiche: (16:03) Thanksgiving is onlyone day

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (16:03) aaah -- so a bridge between Thursday & the week end?

Yubelkys Montalvo 2: (16:03) thank you

Leon Sanchez: (16:03) WOW we did it in 2 hours!

Dev Anand Teelucksingh: (16:03) Thanks, Alan, all

Heidi Ullrich: (16:03) Thanks!!!

Leon Sanchez: (16:03) Congratulations!

sandra hoferichter: (16:03) bye all!

Alberto Soto: (16:03) Thanks!! Bye bye

Dev Anand Teelucksingh: (16:03) take care all

Leon Sanchez: (16:03) thanks everyone!

Ariel Liang: (16:03) Thank you!!! bye bye

Beran Gillen: (16:03) goodbye and good night

Allan Skuce: (16:03) Bye

Leon Sanchez: (16:03) bye bye

Jimmy Schulz: (16:03) bey