Discussion Notes 26 October 2010

Participants: Hong Xue, Fouad Bajwa, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, James Seng, Pavan Budhrani, Charles Mok, Edmon Chung,

Apologies: Bill Tibben, Raj Singh

Staff: Matthias Langenegger

It was agreed that since the meeting did not reach Quorum, the meeting would be a informal discussion with no decisions made.

Review of action items from last meeting:

Pavan will share a one page summary on the ALS Survey.

Hong: Fouad will cover this item under agenda item 6 today

Pavan will change the action item on the NomCom email from the previous call

Hong: This has been completed

Charles will work with Cheryl and Raj on a workplan to structure the regional policy work. The workplan will be presented at the next meeting.

Hong: This will be covered during the call today.

Cheryl and Charles will get in contact with Carlton to ensure that APRALO will receive automatic updates on upcoming public consultation.

Hong: this is obsolete. It has already been discussed during the last call.

Fouad will share a proposed presentation for outreach to be used by members.

Hong: This item will be discussed during today's call.

All ALS are encouraged to make comments on the single character IDNDomain Name issue. Comments can still be passed to APRALO despite the deadline being passed already.

Pavan: This has been done following the last call.

APRALO wants ALAC to consider the application from Information Policy Analytical Center (IPAC) with a note about them not having a website/public information.

Hong: This has been done.

Staff will initiate the APRALO ALAC Representative election and voting process by sending out voting credentials to each of all ALS'es. The deadline for voting will be Friday, 8th October 2010 ending at 2359 UTT.

Hong: This is done

3. APRALO Elections and announcements

Edmon: Thank you all for your support. I will familiarize myself shortly with the ALAC issues. I will be devoting time to ensure that our region contributes more to the policy development process.

Hong: Edmon has a long history in ICANN and I am looking forward to strenghten our connections with you. Congratulations to Edmon Chung!

Cheryl: The monthly teleconference of the ALAC will be later today.

AI: Staff will ensure that Edmon will be invited to all the ALAC calls in the future.

4. At-Large Board Selection (Hong, Fouad, Charles)

Hong: The slate will be presented on the 28th of October.

Cheryl: The reason why the slate of candidates is not released before the 28th, is because some members of the BCEC requested to wait until the ICANN Board has approved the Bylaw changes. It is not because the BCEC is behind schedule. In fact, we are already conducting due diligence on the shortlist of candidates.

Hong: Thank you for your diligent works. We will have a consultation with our regional members when the final slate of candidates is being released. One option is to petition additional candidates not on the final slate.

Cheryl: This is also an agenda during the agenda call tonight.

5. Regional Policy Work (Charles)

Charles: I proposed that we concentrate  on the public consultation on Review of IDN ccTLD Fast Track Process which will end on 17 December.

Cheryl: I suggest that we get in touch

AI: CLO will send the contact details of the director of the  Arab Knowledge Management Society to Charles

Charles: To be able to reach out to our ALSes, I will need some help and recommendations from Fouad.

AI: Charles will set up a WG on the Review of IDN ccTLD Fast Track Process and invite the ALS Representative

Cheryl: The ICANN budget process will also start between this and the next meeting and there will be some work for us on that as well.

6. Update on Outreach & In-reach

Fouad gave a presentation of the two documents he has recently provided on APRALO in-reach and outreach:

APRALO in-reach and outreach suggestions based on the ALS survey.pdf : [https://community.icann.org/download/attachments/2950114/APRALO+in-reach+and+outreach+suggestions+based+on+the+ALS+survey.pdf?version=1&modificationDate=1288050088000
]

Inreach and Outrech Draft Recommendations Fouad Bajwa.pdf : [https://community.icann.org/download/attachments/2950114/Inreach+and+Outrech+Draft+Recommendations+Fouad+Bajwa.pdf?version=1&modificationDate=1288051549000
]

APRALO Outreach Presentation Material:

[https://community.icann.org/download/attachments/2950114/APRALO+Outreach+Beginners+Introduction+Ver+1+Beta.pdf?version=1&modificationDate=1288048257000
]

Fouad: I am also participating in the At-Large Improvements WT on ALS participation and will coordinate the outreach efforts between APRALO and the WT B. We will further our work on the in-reach participation presentation. We will try to invite all ALSes to the next call.

AI: At-Large Staff will update the APRALO ALS map under [http://www.atlarge.icann.org/maps/#apralo
]

7. Others

⁃ APRALO Travel Policy

CLO: Each RALO can send 3 ALAC members and 2 RALO leaders to the ICANN meetings.

CLO: The travel guidelines are published every year. This only applies to this financial year. It is not cast in stone. The 25 travelers we have are now being used as the benchmark by the other constituencies and this might create pressure on the budget and tension. ALAC is the only consitituency with guaranteed support. In order to keep this support we will need to show some return on investment. This is why we need to send highly active individual.

Updates from the ALAC

CLO: There was a community call on Stabilty, Security and Resiliency (SSR) and there will soon be a cross-constituency work group. We will need to select some regional representatives for that working group. There is also a lot of activity in the Improvements WG. Other than that, I draw your attention to the ALAC agenda tonight. There are only few new issues to be discussed. Is there something from the region you would like me to carry over to the ALAC meeting?

• No labels