Versions Compared

Key

• This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.

Independent Examiner’s Final Recommendation

At-Large should redouble efforts to contribute to meetings between ICANN Senior Staff, ISOC and other I* organisations to develop a joint strategic approach to cooperative outreach.

Issue Identified

Uneven contribution of At Large to coordinated ICANN strategy for ‘Outreach and Engagement’. Missed opportunities for coordination with other constituencies and ICANN staff.

Does ALAC Support Recommendation?

Support in principle

If Not, Please Provide Reasoning.

Not Applicable

If ALAC Does Not Support Recommendation, Does It Suggest an Alternative Recommendation?

If so, please provide a suggested alternative Recommendation.

Not Applicable

Prioritization

Medium Priority

ALAC and Working Party At-Large Comments

At-Large does not typically participate in any discussions between ICANN Senior Staff, ISOC and I* organizations, but would welcome such an opportunity. At a regional level, RALO leaders may hear of regional Hub staff meetings with key I-STAR organisations through the Hub newsletter, but then again this is not a formal invitation.

However, lack of involvement with the ICANN or Regional Hub executives does not inhibit the initiative of ALAC and RALO leaders as they form their own models of cooperation with other organizations. At-Large does regularly work with representatives of these organizations at various levels and intends to continue to do so. Most RALOs have MoUs with their Regional Internet Registry, and RALO members participate in activities of regional partners to the extent that sponsorship or other funding allows. The NARALO General Assembly held at an ARIN meeting is just one such example. 

In brief, At-Large has a great interest in joint activities and would welcome the opportunity to participate and foster joint strategic planning and cooperative outreach amongst I-STAR organisations and other relevant non-governmental or public entities outside of the ICANN bubble where our interests coincide. Such cooperation makes sense. 

Possible Dependencies

Increasing such cooperation will require additional travel support over what is currently available. It is unclear that this will lead to significant outreach however, but will improve effectiveness. Overall there is relatively little funding from ICANN that supports these activities. 

Who Will Implement?

Staff with input from At-Large Leadership, ICANN management

Resource Requirements

ICANN funding, travel support

Budget Effects impact?

Implementation Timeline

Proposed Implementation Steps