Versions Compared

Key

• This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.

11:26:11 From Gulten Tepe Oksuzoglu To Everyone:
    Hello everyone, welcome. We will resume with the GAC Meeting with the ALAC session in about 5 minutes
11:27:31 From Michel TCHONANG CMR To Everyone:
    Ok greetngs from Cameroon
11:27:59 From jose lay (TL) To Everyone:
    In the interest of supporting underserved regions and addressing the pressing issue of IPv4 address scarcity, I propose that a portion of the proceeds from the upcoming round of gTLDs be allocated to finance the allocation of a minimum number of IPv4 addresses, e.g. a /16 block, for each government or administration in these regions. This proactive step would not only aid underserved areas in establishing and enhancing their online presence but also promote equitable access to internet resources. By earmarking funds for IPv4 address allocation, we can contribute to digital inclusivity and foster development in regions that have historically faced technology and connectivity challenges. This initiative aligns with ICANN's mission to ensure a globally connected internet that serves the needs of all, irrespective of their geographical location or economic status.
11:32:40 From Gulten Tepe Oksuzoglu To Everyone:
    Hello, my name is Gülten Tepe Öksüzoğlu and I will be monitoring this chat room. In this role, I am the voice for the remote participants. Please note that I will read aloud comments/questions submitted in English within the time set by the Chair of this session.When submitting a question or comment that you want me to read out loud on the mic, please start with a <QUESTION> and end with a “</QUESTION>” or <COMMENT> </COMMENT>. Text outside these quotes will be considered as part of “chat” and will not be read out loud on the microphone.To listen to the interpretation, please click on the interpretation icon in the Zoom toolbar and select the language you will listen to and/or speak during this session.
11:32:48 From Gulten Tepe Oksuzoglu To Everyone:
    This session also includes automated real time transcription. By clicking on the “closed caption” button in the Zoom toolbar you can view the real time transcription. This transcript is not official or authoritative.As requested verbally, please rename your sign-in name with your full name. If you do not use your full name (e.g. First Name + Last Name/Surname), you may be removed from this session.Please note that chat sessions are being archived and are governed by the ICANN Expected Standards of Behavior: http://www.icann.org/en/news/in-focus/accountability/expected-standards.
11:33:42 From Greg Shatan To Everyone:
    FYI, I am participating remotely.
11:34:23 From Joanna Kulesza To Everyone:
    Thank you for letting us know, Greg, and for being here.
11:34:29 From Manal Ismail (GAC Egypt) To Everyone:
    Reacted to "FYI, I am participat..." with 
11:43:15 From Jeff Neuman (GNSO Liaison to GAC) To Everyone:
    Speaking on behalf of the GNSO, this is the first that we are hearing about this issue (at least since I have been the Liaison starting in 2020).  That said, if there are issues with how we present information, please let me or Justine (ALAC Liaison to GNSO) know.
11:43:33 From Greg Shatan To Everyone:
    QUESTION: Does ICANN have a Director of Knowledge Management? /Question
11:47:26 From Greg Shatan To Everyone:
    /2 If not, it needs one to really progress the issue we are (supposed to be) talking about now.
11:47:41 From Manal Ismail (GAC Egypt) To Everyone:
    Replying to "Speaking on behalf o..."

@Jeff Neuman (GNSO Liaison to GAC) in case you find useful, this is the joint ALAC-GAC statement being referenced https://gac.icann.org/publications/20171031-joint-statement-gac-alac.pdf
11:50:45 From Zakir S. (GAC Pakistan) To Everyone:
    We think, it is a good idea to have such a survey to be able to get an idea of how many countries are facing this challenge.
11:52:48 From Justine Chew (ALAC/GNSO Liaison) To Everyone:
    Replying to "Speaking on behalf o..."

@Jeff Neuman (GNSO Liaison to GAC), I'm very happy to help in any way needed. My colleague, Joanna Kulesza, the ALAC Liaison to the GAC, may also be of assistance, if needed.
11:53:45 From Manal Ismail (GAC Egypt) To Everyone:
    Replying to "/2 If not, it needs ..."

@Greg ShatanI'm not sure if this attempts to answer part of question, but ICANN Org were under the impression that the ITI huge project automatically takes care of the ALAC-GAC (more simple) joint request ..
11:54:45 From Joanna Kulesza To Everyone:
    Indeed, we are looking to have this Action Item closed after this meeting and the feedback proves the time is ripe. Do feel free to reach out to me and Kristina Hakobyan, the GAC Liaison to the ALAC, is you have a specific interest in the topic and would like to follow up.
11:54:56 From Justine Chew (ALAC/GNSO Liaison) To Everyone:
    @Arasteh I agree with you. I have on a number of occasions encountered broken links to the ICANN Website/Wiki which  I hope they are fixing over time. There's a lot of legacy content to manage.
11:55:02 From Pua Hunter To Everyone:
    Reacted to "Indeed, we are looki..." with 
11:55:20 From Jeff Neuman (GNSO Liaison to GAC) To Everyone:
    Thanks @Justine Chew (ALAC/GNSO Liaison) - I was aware of this advice, but that statement does not mention the GNSO explicitly.  And the introduction in this discussion mentioned finding GNSO material.  Rather than new Advice to the Board or reiterating this Advice with the GAC, perhaps a discussion with the GNSO first.
11:57:48 From Justine Chew (ALAC/GNSO Liaison) To Everyone:
    Replying to "Thanks @Justine Chew..."

I think it's more in the ICANN org's wheelhouse, than GNSO but I'm happy to be corrected.
11:57:50 From Rob Hoggarth - ICANN Org To Everyone:
    For those interested, here is the link to the GAC FAQ on Delegation and Redelegations noted earlier in this session by the USRWG Chair - https://gac.icann.org/activity/gac-faq-on-delegation-and-redelegations
11:58:18 From Joanna Kulesza To Everyone:
    Please also kindly note that the opportunity for intersessional bilateral working meetings is always available - Kristina and I would be eager to assist in setting up a dedicated call on a topic of mutual interest. This could be the "Informed and Meaningful Participation" issue or the theme of ccTLD redelegation, whereas the latter might be better suited for the ccNSO or a trilateral meeting. Do always feel free to reach out and let us know how we can best assist. Thank you.
12:02:09 From Jeff Neuman (GNSO Liaison to GAC) To Everyone:
    As the GNSO Liaison to the GAC, if there is interest in pursuing a discussion on Monte Cahn's proposal, my recommendation would be to arrange for discussions with the GNSO first before any Advice to the Board.  Most likely the Board would just refer that Advice back the GNSO, and it would seem more efficient to have that discussion with the GNSO first.
12:03:45 From Jeff Neuman (GNSO Liaison to GAC) To Everyone:
    As the former SubPro Co-Chair (along with the ALAC's Cheryl Langdon-Orr), we did have some discussions on this proposal, but there was not Consensus on this recommendation.  There was strong support for this type of proposal, but there was significant opposition.
12:06:37 From Jeff Neuman (GNSO Liaison to GAC) To Everyone:
    On @jonathan Zuck's comment, there was a recommendation in the SubPro Final Report to explore Bid Multipliers.
12:07:57 From Arasteh To Everyone:
    What is fair option
12:07:59 From Justine Chew (ALAC/GNSO Liaison) To Everyone:
    Replying to "On @jonathan Zuck's ..."

Absolutely, we are thinking ahead on implementation of the bid multiplier, and especially how ICANN Org GDS is thinking about how to implement it.
12:08:22 From Russell Woruba (GAC PNG) To Everyone:
    Suggestion: if we were to include multipliers, we have to use weighted scores for certain criteria in the auction process.
12:09:42 From Arasteh To Everyone:
    The fairness which does not exclude those who can not afford the highest not to be esxcluded
12:10:26 From Arasteh To Everyone:
    This is an important and sensitive issue and needs to be carefully analyzed
12:11:27 From Arasteh To Everyone:
    Then to include the issue in the application needs time to develop the policy
12:12:09 From Jeff Neuman (GNSO Liaison to GAC) To Everyone:
    @Jonathan is correct.  The evaluation of criteria is simply Pass or Fail.
12:12:15 From Justine Chew (ALAC/GNSO Liaison) To Everyone:
    IRT stands for Implementation Review Team, which the unit driven by ICANN Org Global Domains Strategy department but with community consultation.
12:12:55 From Justine Chew (ALAC/GNSO Liaison) To Everyone:
    Replying to "IRT stands for Imple..."

In this instance it's the Subsequent Procedures Implementation Review Team
12:15:38 From Jeff Neuman (GNSO Liaison to GAC) To Everyone:
    @Nigel Hickson UK GAC - Yes, if there is a community application, the "sealed bids" that were submitted at the beginning would not be opened until after teh Community Process is completed.  If the community applicant prevails in the evaluation, there is no need to open the sealed bids.
12:18:59 From Jeff Neuman (GNSO Liaison to GAC) To Everyone:
    The ICANN Board has already approved the GNSO Recommendation that Auctions will be conducted as the last resort to resolve contention sets.
12:19:31 From Jeff Neuman (GNSO Liaison to GAC) To Everyone:
    But the ICANN Board has not addressed private auctions yet.
12:19:39 From Kristina Hakobyan, GAC Armenia To Everyone:
    Reacted to "Indeed, we are looki..." with 
12:20:35 From Kristina Hakobyan, GAC Armenia To Everyone:
    Reacted to "Please also kindly n..." with 
12:22:28 From Chokri Ben Romdhane To Everyone:
    Thank you all
12:24:30 From Mohamed El Moctar - Mauritania GAC Rep To Everyone:
    A sealed auction seems to be a good fit for purpose here, but choosing the second highest bid is leaving money on the table for no specific reason. The assumption is that commercial bidders do value their bids based on their own valuation/business plan and any obligations or requirements we might have to have them run the strings can be captured in the contract or somewhere else (but not the discount).
12:27:10 From Russell Woruba (GAC PNG) To Everyone:
    Closed Generics: https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2022/09/giving-big-corporations-closed-generic-top-level-domain-names-run-private-kingdoms
12:27:35 From Jeff Neuman (GNSO Liaison to GAC) To Everyone:
    @Jonathan - The GNSO's view is that we can neither recommend to the ICANN Board that Closed Generics be allowed or not be allowed.  So the real question is if the Community sets the policy, is the default allowing Closed Generics or Not allowing Closed Generics (both of which are policies)
12:29:05 From Jeff Neuman (GNSO Liaison to GAC) To Everyone:
    So the question for Jonathan is whether a letter stating that they should not be allowed a statement of policy not provided by the community?
12:29:18 From Jeff Neuman (GNSO Liaison to GAC) To Everyone:
    I dont know the answer to that question
12:30:52 From Jeff Neuman (GNSO Liaison to GAC) To Everyone:
    As a former SubPro Co-Chair, I agree with Alan, that the differences are irreconcilable and no future policy development process can resolve those difference.
12:32:11 From Jeff Neuman (GNSO Liaison to GAC) To Everyone:
    This is an area where the ALAC, GAC and GNSO is aligned on this topic!
12:32:16 From Jeff Neuman (GNSO Liaison to GAC) To Everyone:
    Not just the NCUC
12:33:23 From Greg Shatan To Everyone:
    Applicant Support will be discussed at tomorrow’s NCUC Issue Forum.
12:33:24 From Rosalind KennyBirch To Everyone:
    Thanks Jonathan (and Jeff)!