Versions Compared

Key

• This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.

Gisella Gruber:Welcome to the ALAC Monthly Call on Tuesday, 23 January 2018 at 04:00UTC

Gisella Gruber:Draft agenda: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_YyFyB&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=mrDeztziKLa7gZqGADzxcnHA3QXmXYsnChWYBR4NElI&m=aLEd1rqBoIQdHdqKjpDBh_hZzxfBfs7KY4Ir1unK70w&s=57PikWRIxZAd3AHMbvHcEEEr4o0si0-A5CYkvnxvS14&e=

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Hi All...  

Yrjö Länsipuro:Good morning!

Evin Erdogdu:Hello everyone!

Leon Sanchez:Hello everyone!

Evin Erdogdu:Jinx, Leon :)

Leon Sanchez:Happy new year! (again)

Maureen Hilyard:Sorry.. I think I just missed picking up a dial out.

Amrita Choudhury:Hi All

Holly Raiche:Happy New Year everyone

Maureen Hilyard:Some strange sounds coming from different calls..

Maureen Hilyard:Loud and clear Cheryl

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO)::-)

Leon Sanchez:we hear you loud and clear Gisella

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):That's a great story Alan ;-)

Maureen Hilyard:I don't hear the echoes..

Satish (Listen-only):No echo for me...

Heidi Ullrich:Welcome, All!

judith hellerstein:HI All

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):wise of you Alan

Leon Sanchez:so no quorum so far?

Maureen Hilyard:Noooo..

Barrack Otieno:Hi colleagues, had joined on phone previously

Julie Hammer:Apologies for being late to join - traffic!

Barrack Otieno:good morning

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Well We are worthy of admiration here in APAC

Holly Raiche:I think the hour is challenging for Europeans - (no sympathy)

Holly Raiche:@ Maureen - we miss the roosters!

judith hellerstein:Yes I miss them as well

Holly Raiche:They went to bed!

Maureen Hilyard:Its only 6pm..

Maureen Hilyard:When the rain stops they will probably whoop for joy and you'll hear them again!

Holly Raiche:@ Maureen - I can't wait!

Evan Leibovitch:Hi all

Holly Raiche:Hi Evan

Barrack Otieno:ok

judith hellerstein:camera session Works for me so I can go to sleep

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond:Re: Action Items -- there are really no open action items? So what at these which are listed with an unchecked box?

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond:    Staff to monitor the use of additional languages over the course of a few months, as ALAC, APRALO, and LACRALO calls will be offered additional language interpretation by the Language Services.     Staff to work with Alan on making the monthly reports more accessible    Gisella Gruber to work with captioning services to check AC room captioning pod issues in tablet (android OS, iPad); currently the pod appears as 'unsupported content' in tablets     Dev Anand Teelucksingh and Judith Hellerstein to volunteer for the metrics tracking effort in stage 2    Alan Greenberg to solicit volunteers to update the documentation regarding expectations of ALAC members appointed by the NomCom and work with Gisella to find a time for a round table discussion with the ALAC Reps in the NomCom in AUH

Evan Leibovitch:... because ICANN has never had interesting years..

Heidi Ullrich:@Olivier, I was referring to the more recent AIs.

Holly Raiche:Thanks to Tijani  for talking the lead

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):I will have a possible link back to this Budget etc., issue  in my GNSO Liaison 'report'

judith hellerstein:@olivier, it is an adobe issue.  on iOS captioning is done thru flash and IOS does not do flash

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Again  I will have alink back to this matter from my GNSO Liaison intervention

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):That won't get wide spread support IMO

judith hellerstein:Can you post the link in the chat

Yesim Nazlar:@Judith: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_gB1yB&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=mrDeztziKLa7gZqGADzxcnHA3QXmXYsnChWYBR4NElI&m=aLEd1rqBoIQdHdqKjpDBh_hZzxfBfs7KY4Ir1unK70w&s=pQ96ZteuGVXvRxqN9i7pFRFnsiHZdcM3wDOqQo9sndk&e=

judith hellerstein:@ Alan it was I who said I was confused about hsi points not Maureen

Maureen Hilyard: @Alan.. I will volunteer to join Tijani and Sebastian on this public comment

judith hellerstein:But people now can speak in their native language now

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Indeed Judith

judith hellerstein:so i am still confused

judith hellerstein:I agree with cheryl

Maureen Hilyard:+1 agree with cheryl

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):APAC has more than 2300 "languages" more by some measures

Leon Sanchez:It doesn’t seem to be getting a lot of traction as the statement stands

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):APAC works in EN

Holly Raiche:What about all the other languages that are not one of the official languages. Perfect example - Sandra - German is not one of the languages

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Quite the opposite actually Alan

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond:@Holly - the idea was that each currently interpreted language community would have its own standalone session and discussions

Maureen Hilyard:But it is a first draft and is there for people to make a comment...

Maureen Hilyard:Maybe Sebastian made it controversial so that people would discuss and make some recommendations of their own?

Holly Raiche:A good point - this is about when Compliance should step in

judith hellerstein:Adobe crashed twice for me

Holly Raiche:I think we need to distinguish between a change in policy - and the RDS WG will take at least a year- and then a change to the RAA.  In the meantime, this is INTERIM - when Complaince will take action or not

Holly Raiche:That was a VERY rueful laugh

judith hellerstein:OK going to reload so can get back speaking capability

Julie Hammer:Report has been posted...nothing to add.

Maureen Hilyard:Nothing from me..

Yrjö Länsipuro:The GAC/ALAC leadership call in mid-February - a Doodle is out

Maureen Hilyard:I would just like to encourage At-Large to check out the ccNSO members meeting sessions for topics in ICANN 61 that could be of interest to At-Large for example the "Impact of natural disasters on ccTLDs, registrars and registrants, including mitigation of the impact"

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond:Yup --- I asked about the GDD summit years ago and nobody was bothered

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond:thus it's perfectly understandable that the GNSO would prefer keeping a GDD summit and carve out an ICANN meeting

Holly Raiche::-)

Evan Leibovitch:Alan, be careful what you wish for

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):It was important IMO to "share"

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond:it is funny to see so many GNSO only meetings in addition to ICANN meetings whilst we have to extract blood out of a stone to get an additional day to discuss strategy in ALAC.

Maureen Hilyard:+1 OCL

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):To say the leats OCL!

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):least

Heidi Ullrich:FY19 At-Large Additional Budget Requests - https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_display_atlarge_At-2DLarge-2BFY19-2BAdditional-2BBudget-2BRequest-2BWorkspace&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=mrDeztziKLa7gZqGADzxcnHA3QXmXYsnChWYBR4NElI&m=aLEd1rqBoIQdHdqKjpDBh_hZzxfBfs7KY4Ir1unK70w&s=ViVKkaidulgWKn2ta_DRatIGn-tbfVI3I0ADpw--cQk&e=

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Ahh "Fun and Games

Holly Raiche:No comment

judith hellerstein:It was not translation of a mailcard, but printing of the mailcard/brochure

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond:10 to 15K for pop up banners? What?

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond:SOmeone is scamming ICANN selling pop up banners at that price :-)

judith hellerstein:no for the entire communication package

Maureen Hilyard:I asked for one pop-up banner for APRALO.. definitely ont $10k worth

Maureen Hilyard:My phone call has just been disconnected. Can I have another dialout please.

Yesim Nazlar:Sure, we're redialing you now

Maureen Hilyard:thank you Yesim. reconnected again..

Yesim Nazlar:sure!

judith hellerstein:I support Tijani on this

judith hellerstein:I have a topic but am working on adding proposed speakers

Heidi Ullrich:These are suggested

Maureen Hilyard:+1 Tijani.. I think we have all had a similar view

Heidi Ullrich:Also, the general broad themes of the IGF remain relatively the same.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):It certainly is... I would say impossible  OCL/Tijani

Heidi Ullrich:On this issue, it is your decision re the detail. However, this message is coming directly from the people who will be reviewing them.

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond:@Heidi: we do not even know where the IGF will take place or if it will take place at all. So  do we need a Crystal Ball?

Maureen Hilyard:But how do we know that speakers we list are going to be available later in the year?

judith hellerstein:Do other constituencies know this.  I do not think NCUC has this requirement

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond:It is always interesting to see the double standards in ICANN

Maureen Hilyard:But what if ICANN OKs a proposal and it isn't accepted by the MAG?

judith hellerstein:Yes Olivier always interesting

judith hellerstein:ncuc has not submitted their proposals yet

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond:ICANN OKayed the EURALO proposal last year & since the MAG did not approve, EURALO got nothing.

judith hellerstein:they are modelling theirs on what was submitted last year and last year they did not have a specific request

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond:so funding approval is always dependent on the MAG approva

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond:ICANN mission according to whom?

Heidi Ullrich:@OCL , always needs to be approved by the MAG

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond:nobody nows what is ICANN's mission

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond:We include capacity building and outreach. The GNSO thinks outreach is completely outside ICANN's mission and wants drastic cuts including not participating in IGF at all. Is that the ICANN mission??

Maureen Hilyard:Why can't ICANN provide a budget for a specific number of people, as they have done, with the MAG making the decision and not ICANN.  ICANN cannot define the proramming of the IGF. IT is very confusing.

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond:Putting the carriage before the horses is to set the system up for failure.

Justine Chew:Dropping off the call now, have a good day, all.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Bhye Justine

Maureen Hilyard:Bye Justine

Yesim Nazlar:thanks for joining Justine!

Jonathan Zuck:well GDPR is pretty universal

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):ccNSO  has had several  OCL

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):indeed Jonathan

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond:GDPR, IMHO is the most important session of them all

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond:so I am delighted that it is there. But some were asking for it to me moved to Wednesday

Heidi Ullrich:@Maureen, ICANN will wish to see how a workshop meets its strategic plan. All  At-rLarge requests cite: 4.3 Enhance the visibility, credibility and trust in the multistakeholder model in general and for ICANN in particular.. So, the workshop requests should show clearly how the panel would achieve that.

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond:fortunately both GAC & ccNSO preferred Monday

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Thank Gisella...

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond:@Heid: could At LArge Staff review the workshop proposals and add the details for each of the links with ICANN Strategic Plan?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Excellent!

judith hellerstein:Glad Jonathan is taking one of the slots

judith hellerstein:@jonathan, let me know if you want to come for the north american school of internet governance

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):couldn't agree with you more Judith... I am delighted

Jonathan Zuck:Thanks Judith. Need to get that policy team off the ground!

judith hellerstein:Applications are only open until Jan 31

judith hellerstein:possibility of getting funding for hotel for those extra days

judith hellerstein:depending on funding for nasig

Leon Sanchez:I will leave the call now

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):bye Leon

Leon Sanchez:tanks everyone!

Maureen Hilyard:bye Leon

Heidi Ullrich:@Olivier, no as staff are not able to add that information as the details provided to date don't provide the necessary details.

Bartlett Morgan:bye

Leon Sanchez:bye

Yesim Nazlar:Thanks for joining Leon!

Holly Raiche:And Jonathan Zuck  will be in charge - which is great news

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Excellent  and OCL:JZ leadership team... designed for success!

Evan Leibovitch:      Please sign me up for the policy mailing list.

Jonathan Zuck:sounds good

Evan Leibovitch:Future Challenges? (ducks)

Jonathan Zuck:Monsters of Policy (MOG)

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Ohh yes the acronym is the key point ;=-)

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):MOG

Holly Raiche:what about ALAC Policy WG APG?

Maureen Hilyard:Our creative leaders might be able to come up with something .. other than MOG

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):MOP

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):p not G

Jonathan Zuck:MOP, yes!

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):ALP   At-Large Policy Group

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):hear cats all the time

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):herd  not hear (darn auto correct :-(

Barrack Otieno:No AOB from me

Jonathan Zuck:Policy at Large (PAL)

judith hellerstein:I have to leave. It has been fun. See all later

Jonathan Zuck:Thanks Judith!

Evan Leibovitch:Police Initiatives Group

Maureen Hilyard:Barrack can stay on too

Jonathan Zuck:see ya!

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Bye

Maureen Hilyard:@Barrack - if you want to

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):still have a number of people whi need to disconnect

Maureen Hilyard:Barrack has left..

Yesim Nazlar:***** IN CAMERA SESSION STARTED *****

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):staff may beed to disconnect them

Gisella Gruber:Barrack is joining us again

Maureen Hilyard:OK..

Gisella Gruber:@ Maureen - thanks

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):to the EU list

Satish (Listen-only):IMO, the problem is more of optics (esp. from a community perspective) rather than that of rules.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):There is no need to look at 'natural justice' here under our ROPs

Holly Raiche:@ CLO - there may be no specific requirement for naural justice - but if this is challenged, we should be able to demonstrate that he has been told from day one and not responded appropriately

Bartlett Morgan:I'm with Holly on this one

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):the ombuds office has watched all this closey in preparation

Maureen Hilyard:Alan's message to the ALAC have explained the correspondence that has gone on between Chris and Alan.. there is evidence that this has taken place

Julie Hammer:Apologies, I need to leave this meeting now.  Bye Everyone.

Maureen Hilyard:Bye Juie

Holly Raiche:Thanks Maureen - that was my concern - not just to cover ourselves, but to be sure we have been fair to him - he's been told and chosen not to comply

Maureen Hilyard:julie

Maureen Hilyard:@Holly.. he is choosing not to comply..  

Holly Raiche:Based on CLO's statements, ALAC's reputation is on the line.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Bullied!!!!

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):like hell

Maureen Hilyard:I have to leave in 5 minutes..

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):The GAC co-lead is also rarely at any meetings

Holly Raiche:I don't believe we should stop taking appropriate action because another area doesn't

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):indeed Holly

Maureen Hilyard:agree

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):and this has already damaged that good will for this new model (sadly)

Barrack Otieno:+ 1 Holly

Holly Raiche:I don't agree with Tijani on that - we cannot stop an action because others won't -

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):He is doig a fabulous job,

Holly Raiche:Bye Julie

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):SO monay complaints on that one meeting including the GNSO COuncil Liaison to the PDP WG!!!

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Indeed Alan we worked darn hard on that

Maureen Hilyard:I have to go everyone.. my vote is to go with our original plan - to remove Chris from the co-Chair role and the ALAC can choose someone else.

Holly Raiche:Agree with Maureen - Bye

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Bye Holly

Holly Raiche:(I was saying Bye to Maureen - i"m still here)

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):opps  sorry

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):I agree the replacement being an ALAC person will also assist in remitiation of the damage done to our rep and futures for the WG

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):should read remediation  

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):HELL no I don't need to be in that call...

Satish (Listen-only):+1 Alan.

Holly Raiche:I want time limits on the debate

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):straight away would beappreciated Alan

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): we are on weekly meetings

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):in WT5

Holly Raiche:Happy to proceed as suggested

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): any resolution will be made on 30th  I can move to postpone 8IF* i can assure some resolution

Yesim Nazlar:***** IN CAMERA SESSION ENDED *****

Bartlett Morgan:good bye all

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Bye

Bartlett Morgan:rest of the night here