Versions Compared

Key

• This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.
Comment: Migrated to Confluence 4.0

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:          Right let’s re-start, good morning good afternoon and good evening.  This is the ALAC call with NPOC which is the non-profit operational concerns constituency on the 7th of December 2011 and the time is 14:10 UTC.  I think we will start with a quick roll-call.  Gisella, please.

Wiki MarkupGisella Gruber:                        Yes on today’s call we have Olivier Gruber:                        Yes on today’s call we have Olivier Crepin-LeBlond, Tijani Ben Jemaa, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Natalia Enciso, Sergio Salinas Porto, Evan Leibovitch, Alan Greenberg.    From NPOC we have Klaus Stoll.  For staff we have Sylvia Herlein Leite, Heidi Ulrich and myself Gisella Gruber and apologies for \[names not completely clear\] and can I remind you to say your name for the transcript.  Over to you  For staff we have Sylvia Herlein Leite, Heidi Ulrich and myself Gisella Gruber and apologies for [names not completely clear] and can I remind you to say your name for the transcript.  Over to you Olivier.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:          Thank you very much Gisella

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:          Thank You Amber.  Next I was going to ask Klaus to introduce himself

Wiki MarkupKlaus Stoll:                             Okay thank you very much and thank you for the opportunity of participating in this call.  My name is Klaus Stoll.  I’m in NPOC responsible for fund raising and membership and my background is I worked in um management of uh a small foundation all around the working for the last thirty years.  I am currently the Executive Director of the \[inaudible\] Partnership Foundation GKP which some of you might now and I am also very proud to be a member of \[inaudible\] in Ecuador. Stoll:                             Okay thank you very much and thank you for the opportunity of participating in this call.  My name is Klaus Stoll.  I’m in NPOC responsible for fund raising and membership and my background is I worked in um management of uh a small foundation all around the working for the last thirty years.  I am currently the Executive Director of the [inaudible] Partnership Foundation GKP which some of you might now and I am also very proud to be a member of [inaudible] in Ecuador. 

The reason why I’m very much interested and engaged in NPOC is very simple that the needs of the uh non-governmental organization so non-profit organizations through internet are rising to becoming more and more essential and the point of view and the interest of these organizations needs to be represented in the whole spectrum of ICANN.  I will leave it at that.

Tijani Ben Jemaa:                    Okay thank you so my name is Tijani Bin Jemaa.  I am vice chair of ALAC member I don’t know what to say but as we know at large is if the voice of the user so I’m representing them in Africa.  Is that okay?unmigrated-wiki-markupokay?

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:          Absolutely Tijani thanks very much.  We’ll continue with, we will first start with ALAC members so Evan? \[Pause\] Evan you might be           Absolutely Tijani thanks very much.  We’ll continue with, we will first start with ALAC members so Evan? [Pause] Evan you might be muted.

Evan Leibovitch:                     Sorry could you just go to somebody else for a moment and I will be right there.

Alan Greenberg:                      Hi I’m Alan Greenberg former ALAC member from North America and GNSO ALAC, sorry ALAC liaison to the GNSO.  Most of my recent life has been not-for profit so I think I fit in.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:          Thank very much Alan.  So we continue with Cheryl Wiki MarkupOlivier Crepin-Leblond:          Thank very much Alan.  So we continue with Cheryl Langdon-Orr. \ [Pause\] Cheryl you might be muted.    OK looks like we lost Cheryl.    Evan, can we go back to you?

Evan Leibovitch:                     You most certainly can sorry about that earlier.  Hi mane is Evan Leibovitch. I’m co vice-chair of ALAC and the designated liaison between At-Large and the NCSG.  Hopefully I can make myself available to you folks anytime.  I’m based in Toronto, Canada.  I do work for York University as well as my own consulting firm mainly on issues to do with social media and electronic publishing.

We are an extremely diverse group and the fact that you may have an ALS that is a strongly in favor of trade mark protection and another ALS that is strongly against trademark protection doesn’t deny either of them of legitimacy and participation at At-Large having seen some of the discussions going on in the NCSG mailing list, I can assure you and I think Olivier and everybody else on the At-Large side on this call will agree with me that political perspective is not a basis of denial of membership.  It never has been during my tenure and I see no reason for it to start.unmigrated-wiki-markup

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:          Thanks very much Evan.  Any further questions on this or should we start exploring the common interests that we have or any common interests we might have none or we might have many. \[Pause\] Hearing no one go frantic and say no no no, let’s move on to agenda item number two then and looking at the current hot topics for At-Large and the current hot topics for NPOC.           Thanks very much Evan.  Any further questions on this or should we start exploring the common interests that we have or any common interests we might have none or we might have many. [Pause] Hearing no one go frantic and say no no no, let’s move on to agenda item number two then and looking at the current hot topics for At-Large and the current hot topics for NPOC. 

I suggest that perhaps shall we start since you started with the introductions and I was just going to run through a quick few things.  I’ll ask on my colleagues to add to it if they can as well.  I just drafted this very quickly out of memory.  So the first thing which I think we have had plenty of time and put a lot of effort in is the join up and support working group and that was primarily because had ICANN launched a process of new gTLDs being launched worldwide, that would only benefit the western world i.e. north America and western Europe, there would have been an enormous amount of criticism from outside of ICANN that it only caters for the developed economy and it doesn’t actually cater for needy applicants. 

Amber Sterling:                       Sure this is Amber I will start with this and Klaus feel free to interrupt or as I misspeak or forget something.  Since we are a brand new constituency and we are getting brand new members we spend more of our time educating our members to the ICANN acronym world than um the mail the direct comment as often as we’d like and so the new gTLD is a big ticket for us because it’s tangible. unmigrated-wiki-markup

You can talk to someone, you can talk to a new member about it and explain it to some extent but it’s a tangible piece of work that ICANN doing for a person just entering the ICANN community.    A lot of our comments have been focused on that because it is in fact tangible.    So that’s on to star there.    The new gTLD is clearly, you have I’m sure met \ [inaudible\] with his work on the Jas working group and we are very interested in that piece of work and the implementation process and that moves us forward.  

IDM is well there is no reason why the internet should only be in Roman characters.  There’s just no reason.  So we are clearly on board with that.  The RAA negotiations will prove interesting and that something that we have to dig into.  I, we haven’t discussed this as a group but I can clearly agree personally and for my association that ICANN compliance department whatever we support we can give them, we will because that definitely does need to be a higher ticket item in the ICANN community.