Versions Compared

Key

• This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.
Comment: Migrated to Confluence 4.0

Tijani Ben Jemaa:                               Okay, very good.  So FORCAS.  This application took a very long time because they gave….

Wiki Markup\[call technical difficulties\]\\

Tijani Ben Jemaa:                               What is that?  Do you hear me?

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:                 I understood.  I was just pointing out that it would not be absolutely correct to say that the RALO was taking a decision; it was just giving an advice.  Yes, thanks.

Wiki Markup\[crosstalk\]\\

Tijani Ben Jemaa:                               No, the RALO was taking the decision on what kind of advice they have to give to ALAC, okay?

Olivier Crépin-Leblond:                  Cheryl.

Wiki MarkupCheryl Langdon-Orr:                          Thank you, Olivier, Cheryl Langdon-Orr for the record.  In terms of process, Olivier, if I may assist you here, as we appear to have the regional advice expected in from AFRALO in by the end of the week and we have an acceptance advice on the other two coming in from the EURALO region, if we could get staff to follow up with APRALO leadership and bring the advice into sync, into some synchronicity for the end of this week then it would be appropriate to start a \[big pulse\] vote on all of those ALS applications with the ALAC members being asked to either accept or reject the regional advice.\\                          Thank you, Olivier, Cheryl Langdon-Orr for the record.  In terms of process, Olivier, if I may assist you here, as we appear to have the regional advice expected in from AFRALO in by the end of the week and we have an acceptance advice on the other two coming in from the EURALO region, if we could get staff to follow up with APRALO leadership and bring the advice into sync, into some synchronicity for the end of this week then it would be appropriate to start a [big pulse] vote on all of those ALS applications with the ALAC members being asked to either accept or reject the regional advice.

That means that by five to seven days, in another week we can have hopefully four more At-Large Structures.  It is important that we take the voting on the ALAC on the decision to accept or reject the regional advice in a formal big pulse vote.  There are many things we can vote on by raising of hand, acclimation or otherwise, but the formalization of an At-Large Structure is something we need a clear audit trail on.  So I would recommend that you follow that pathway, get the APRALO advice as soon as possible, before but certainly no later than the AFRALO advice is expected to be in; and then all four ALSes go to work as is practical after that.  Thank you.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond:                  Thank you very much, Cheryl, and I was going to ask the APRALO leadership when they were expecting to be able to provide their advice.

Wiki MarkupCheryl Langdon-Orr:                          I would suggest that as there has been nothing but positives as said on the list, as soon as the APRALO leadership stop doing their presentation in \[Kalan\] or Sri Lanka where I’m at right now they can put their fingertips to their keyboards and give you the affirmative.  But that does need to be formally said, so perhaps Edmon could see whether Pavan has already been given the approval for that advice to come through as Secretariat, but in the absence of Pavan having already been given that advice to send staff should reach out to Charles who is the new Chair of APRALO just to formalize that.  But I envisage less than a 24\- to 36-hour turnaround on that advice.\\Langdon-Orr:                          I would suggest that as there has been nothing but positives as said on the list, as soon as the APRALO leadership stop doing their presentation in [Kalan] or Sri Lanka where I’m at right now they can put their fingertips to their keyboards and give you the affirmative.  But that does need to be formally said, so perhaps Edmon could see whether Pavan has already been given the approval for that advice to come through as Secretariat, but in the absence of Pavan having already been given that advice to send staff should reach out to Charles who is the new Chair of APRALO just to formalize that.  But I envisage less than a 24- to 36-hour turnaround on that advice.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond:                  Perfect.  Right, well thanks very much, Cheryl, and one thing that I did want to ask though, not that we have a way forward, is perhaps if there are any questions from anyone here regarding any of those four applications that we have in front of us prior to of course the vote taking place in a few…in a week, let’s say.

In order to increase the impact of At-Large Structures and representation in this kind of large public policy issue, maybe we should make a statement which would be not only sent in a confidential way somewhere but also made public and therefore there should be a communication policy to go with it.  Thanks.

Wiki MarkupOlivier Crépin-Leblond:                  Thank you very much,                   Thank you very much, Jean-Jacques, and I have addressed your concerns in an email I sent was it, this morning I gather -- it feels like yesterday…  like yesterday…  No, yesterday it was, and the statement itself will be sent to the person in charge of electronic communication at the Elysee Palace, an email that was provided to me through contacts in the French government\- the French GAC representatives who have been very helpful and supportive, the ICANN Board, the ICANN CEO but also to (inaudible), the \ [_Mode Newspaper_\] and also the eG8 Forum organizing office, which is a slightly different channel than the Elysee Palace itself.\\

Does this, I mean that certainly will bring it more punch than just sending a statement internally to the Board.

Gisella Gruber-White:                     Yes, Sergio has responded as well.

Wiki Markup\[background conversation\]\\

Gisella Gruber-White:                     (inaudible) Dave Kissoondoyal, Gareth Sherman, James Seng, Jean-Jacques Subrenat, Marc Rotenberg, Sergio Salinas Porto and Tijani Ben Jemaa.

Alan Greenberg:                                  I don’t think we need to get that specific here.
unmigrated-wiki-markup

\[crosstalk\]\\

Olivier Crépin-Leblond:                  Sorry, one at a time please.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond:                  Thank you, Cheryl.  And now let’s go for the vote then.  Is anybody against this motion?  Is anyone objecting to it?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:                          Abstaining, perhaps.
Wiki MarkupOrr:                          Abstaining, perhaps.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond:                  I hear no objections so again, record unanimous vote for the motion.  And I think I might need to read the motion for the record, for the transcript: “The ALAC is pleased to note interest from the Board and other stakeholders towards the second milestone report of the cross-community Joint Applicant Support Working Group [JAS WG].  To this extent it therefore welcomes the organization of a conference call for interested members of the JAS Working Group, the ICANN Board, GNSO, GAC, At-Large, and other interested community members to discuss the status and way forward for the JAS Working Group. We also request the creation of a multi-stakeholder meeting on this issue to be held at the ICANN meeting in Singapore.”Olivier Crépin-Leblond:                  I hear no objections so again, record unanimous vote for the motion.  And I think I might need to read the motion for the record, for the transcript: “The ALAC is pleased to note interest from the Board and other stakeholders towards the second milestone report of the cross-community Joint Applicant Support Working Group \[JAS WG\].  To this extent it therefore welcomes the organization of a conference call for interested members of the JAS Working Group, the ICANN Board, GNSO, GAC, At-Large, and other interested community members to discuss the status and way forward for the JAS Working Group. We also request the creation of a multi-stakeholder meeting on this issue to be held at the ICANN meeting in Singapore.”\\

Well, thank you very much, I think we’ve been through these two votes, and Gisella, have you managed to record the list?

There is only so much cake on the plate, and clearly we can’t all eat all of it, and a number of things which could have just had simple no’s, haven’t had no’s; they’ve had ‘we will look at this again’ and I think that’s acceptable, but let’s stay diligent and make sure that stuff happens. 

Wiki MarkupA number of things that could have been not responded to at all have been put across to other budget entry paths; looking at translation and some of the outreach work as it’s being \ [in a vertical as\] owned or sent across to line items that are appropriate for that, seen as a bigger ICANN budget and not seen as a SOs and ACs additional request. But I think that the process itself needs to be seen as a step forward and I hear the disappointment, and I can assure you timing is also part of the issue here as well. \\ 

Then we look at the matter of even what support the RALOs have been offered for additional travel for representatives to be engaged in local business of ALAC funded normal travel expense, with ALS members in local ICANN meetings.  Of course, thanks to the matter of timing, Asia/Pacific has missed out totally, and will probably do so for the next round as well, if you look at the forecast and timing as well. 

Olivier Crépin-Leblond:                  Okay, thank you very much Sebastian.  Certainly I can say yes to these words of wisdom, and hopefully yes, you are right.  Cheryl had her hand up; she’s put her hand down.  I guess the next one on the list is Sergio.  Sergio, you have the floor.
unmigrated-wiki-markup

Sergio Salinas Porto:                        \[via translator\]  He would like to say that he is both disappointed in the process of the reports, that there was not enough space or more space for comments from Latin America or from the developing areas.  Sergio is disappointed that there wasn’t more opportunity for input from the developing countries with respect to the report on the conversation. Thank you.\\Porto:                        [via translator]  He would like to say that he is both disappointed in the process of the reports, that there was not enough space or more space for comments from Latin America or from the developing areas.  Sergio is disappointed that there wasn’t more opportunity for input from the developing countries with respect to the report on the conversation. Thank you.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond:                  Okay, thank you.
unmigrated-wiki-markup

Sergio Salinas Porto:                        \[via translator\] Okay, he’s talking about the -- that he’s a little disappointed that ICANN does not give as much importance to the communities, the public communities in the developing world. And that would be all he said from Sergio.\\Porto:                        [via translator] Okay, he’s talking about the – that he’s a little disappointed that ICANN does not give as much importance to the communities, the public communities in the developing world. And that would be all he said from Sergio.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond:                  Okay, thank you very much, Sergio. This comment is something that we’ve heard a number of times now, so Tijani, if you could take notes, I guess the transcripts will probably be very useful to you when you write that statement. Any other comments, or more?  Okay. Well, it looks like we’ve closed that subject. 

Thanks to the interpreters, and thanks to Gisella.  You have managed to hold this whole call together of course with Matt, who has arrived in time to hold the building together.  Thanks, and this meeting is adjourned.

Wiki Markup\[End of Transcript\]