Versions Compared

Key

• This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.

Author:Dave Kissoondoyal

Author: Olivier Crépin-Leblond

I'll let someone else provide a report of the session's contents and provide my (biased) feedback as a panel participant.
The panel mysteriously arranged itself in a polarized fashion, with opposite views held by opposite ends of the linear table. Panellists found the room to be distributing itself in a similar fashion. With the debate being (in my opinion) slightly sterile, a post session discussion among the panellists and the moderator reached the conclusion that a possible future panel discussion might be more productive by adopting a crescent-shaped panel with panellists being able to see each other and therefore being able to interact with each other, and a moderator having a direct line of sight of every panellists with no difficulty. The linear panel appeared to stop the flow of the debate and made an possible interesting discussion sound tedious at the end.

Review of new gTLD IP protection processes. Discussion of IP Clearinghouse, and then uniform Rapid Suspension Procedure, as well as some time spent on Post Delegation Dispute Resolution Procedure.
Of note, most comments submitted by the audience had been discussed within the STI working group, but with so few members of the STI working group on the panel, some questions went unanswered, with Mike Silber needing to fill-in with some somehow generic answers.

The NARALO monthly meeting went very well. We found out that Rod Beckstrom joined ISOC San Francisco and so is now part of at large! This can be nothing but good.
One thing that was identified as a need for our region was the need to do “in-reach”. We have ALSs that used to be quite active that we hardly hear from any more. Outreach is fine but retention of existing ALSs is very important. Having said that, Gareth and Darlene will be attending the ICT Summit in Vancouver next weekend and have secured a spot on the agenda to do a Q & A on ICANN and At-Large.