NCSG Candidate Statement of Klaus Stoll

Candidate for NCSG Representative to the GNSO Council (2-year term)

• Name, declared region of residence, gender and employment:

Klaus-Dieter Rudolf STOLL, Europe, Male, Executive Director of the Global Knowledge Partnership Foundation

• Any conflicts of interest:

None that I am aware of. Full statement is available at: community.icann.org/display/gnsosoi/Klaus+Stoll+SOI

• Reasons for willingness to take on the tasks of the particular position:

I have developed a respect and belief in, and passion for, ICANN, ever since my participation in my first public ICANN meeting in Lisbon 2007. To witness the multi-stakeholder process at work, with all its shortcomings and its fairness and its ultimate efficiency, was a revelation for me. The Internet with the DNS at its root is a common good that we cannot take for granted.  We must sustain, improve and protect it on a daily basis. ICANN has taught me to tolerate conflict and patiently look for constructive consensus.  It has also demonstrated again and again that while there is always room for improvements and fine tuning, the outcomes of the multi-stakeholder model are far superior and valid than any other available process. This is why I have a passion for ICANN and why I am committed to it.

Although I have chosen to become active in ICANN as a representative of the not-for-profit sector through NPOC and NCUC, I see myself as a multi-stakeholder representative candidate and as someone who looks at Internet Governance from many different perspectives and as someone who is aware of the needs and necessities of many stakeholder groups. Being an Executive Director of an NGO in Latin America and then of an global multi stakeholder NGO, makes working with and building viable consensus between civil society, governments and the private sector imperative and forms the basis of my day-to-day work.  My ongoing contacts and talks and widespread network multi-stakeholder contacts is a testament to my commitment. 

I am especially suited and able to support a multi-stakeholder group in reaching consensus, as my past and present working experience is based on understanding and sharing multi-stakeholder, multi-sector groups and organizations.

• Qualifications for the position:

Ongoing passion and commitment to ICANN and the multi-stakeholder Internet Governance model.

Although I have chosen to become active in ICANN as a representative of the not-for-profit sector through NPOC and NCUC, I see myself as a multi-stakeholder representative candidate and as someone who looks at Internet Governance from many different perspectives and as someone who is aware of the needs and necessities of many stakeholder groups. Being an Executive Director of an NGO in Latin America and then of a global multi stakeholder NGO, makes working with and building viable consensus between civil society, governments and the private sector imperative and forms the basis of my day-to-day work.  My ongoing contacts and talks and widespread network multi-stakeholder contacts is a testament to my commitment. 

I am especially suited and able to support a multi-stakeholder group in reaching consensus, as my past and present working experience is based on understanding and sharing multi-stakeholder, multi-sector groups and organizations.

• Statement of availability for the time the position requires:

I am available for the time the position requires. My previous attendance and track record show that I am willing and able to fulfill the required commitments.

• The nominee’s statement may also include any other information that the candidate believes is relevant

gTLDs are more than names and numbers. Existing and new gTLDs are vital tools and instruments for human progress and development. ICANN and all involved with it are carrying a huge responsibility and have to demonstrate ongoing levels of the highest excellence and awareness. The values I will contribute to the GNSO Council to achieve this are to help ICANN as a whole and to be more communicative in all directions.  Through this communication comes understanding and the ability to be more creative and flexible with a conscious intention to emulate and live by ICANN’s core values of inclusion.  I want to contribute to even further develop the talents that are without doubt present in ICANN today and to attract even more talent from outside ICANN and enable them all to work in a planned and productive process of DNS/gTLDs development.  In my engagements with ICANN and beyond, I have observed that many available talents are not fully utilized or even wasted because they are used to target very specific narrow objectives.  Often, these objectives do not take the needs and competences of other stakeholders into account.   Instead of trying to convince stakeholders to change their mind, I would see it as my  role to demonstrate to all involved that the joint interests and objectives are, in the end, better achieved and served through respect for the needs and competences of others, dialogue and resulting joint action. I would see it also as my role to identify, point out and help implement win/win/win situations and try to overcome a culture of conflicts of interests by a culture of gain through co-operation

We need new solutions to new problems. In order to give a concrete example: ICANN received only a small amount of applications for new gTLDs from developing regions such as Africa. The main reason for this were not just limited outreach to these regions, but the lack of viable business models for new gTLDs in developing countries. Development organizations, facing comparable problems, over the last years have developed such alternative business models, (in close co-operation with the private and governmental sectors), which can be adapted and applied for the new gTLDs. In practical terms this means to base the business model for new gTLDs not on domain name revenue alone but on revenue sourced from services for a community that has been created around the new gTLD. These so called “community based” gTLDs offer a business model that is revenue generation even before the gTLD comes on-line and therefore much more realistic and sustainable then other business models for gTLDs in developing areas. This is just one example of a win/win situation across stakeholders and sections. There are many others, they just need to be identified and developed. Every lost opportunity is a loss for ICANN.

I am concerned about the observable and ever increasing disconnect between ICANN governance, staff and stakeholders.  The solution to this problem, in my opinion, is more than about fashioning clear and stricter rules; it is about creating a new atmosphere of trust and collaboration.  Trust in ICANN has eroded for a variety of reasons.  It is our responsibility as ICANN leaders to rebuild it within the community. Like in the case of the ICANN stakeholders and their relationship with each other, it is about initiating and demonstrating that the common goal and specific interest can and will be better served through mutual respect and open, constructive attitudes by all concerned.  I would like to make my contribution to make this happen as this serves ICANN as a whole to be more effective and a place people want to be associated and engaged with.

Internet Governance today is like a country where less than 1% are in charge of over 99% of the population and where 98% of the population do not even know that the 1% exist. In the case of IG, the vast majority of IT users are completely ignorant even of its existence. The legitimacy and effectiveness of IG is in direct proportion to the ability to create general awareness and engagement of IT users. The biggest challenge for all those concerned with IG today is the lack of awareness and engagement of the vast majority of IT users. ITs have become a global public good. They have become a “common” instrument for human existence and development of highest importance and value. IG has to become a topic of common debate and interest for everybody like peace, the environment and climate change are today. ICANN, in particular with the introduction of the new gTLDs has to recognize, acknowledge and accommodate its new responsibilities. The only way to do this seems to be for ICANN to raise its profile on all levels. As more people know about the role and importance of ICANN more people will engage with it. As more people engage and participate in ICANN’s existing governance structures, the more ICANN will reevaluate and reform itself. This process of renewal will not be a revolutionary one but an ongoing process of evaluation and reform that is based on broad participation of all stakeholders. An informed general public will lead to organic changes and a more stable, effective and relevant ICANN. I see it as one of my main contributions to ICANN today. I hope in the future I will be able to support a broad based outreach effort based on my past and present work, roles, global experiences and contacts. In particular, I hope to be able to help develop and implement ICANN outreach strategies to the general public. I also want to make a contribution to identifying the key challenges to ICANN today, to seeking relevant knowledge and opinions, and creating informed consensus and sound implementation across stakeholders. This can only be achieved through strengthening the multi-stakeholder model through better communication and collaboration on a win/win basis, trust and respect.

For comments, suggestions, or technical support concerning this space, please email: ICANN Policy Department
© 2015 Internet Corporation For Assigned Names and Numbers