Motion for the Approval to Permanently Integrate Successful PDP Improvements into the GNSO Policy Development Process
Made by: Donna Austin
Seconded by: Carlos Gutierrez
Starting in 2013, the Council, in collaboration with ICANN Staff, gathered a number of ideas and suggestions to be explored to improve and streamline the existing Policy Development Process. These ideas and suggestions were translated into 10 PDP Improvements (see http://gnso.icann.org/en/drafts/pdp-improvements-table-16jan14-en.pdf).
Many of these improvements were also closely aligned with the recommendations of the ATRT2 in relation to the GNSO PDP.
Staff was tasked to explore and implement next steps for each item, including in pilot format. Since then, Staff has been providing regular status updates to the GNSO Council in conjunction with ICANN meetings.
Staff provided a final status update http://gnso.icann.org/en/drafts/memo-pdp-improvements-09jun16-en.pdf on 9 June 2016. This final status update included proposed next steps on how to transform some of the GNSO Improvements that have been determined successful into permanent features of the PDP and close out this project until such time the Council identifies new improvements that are deemed worth exploring and/or revamps some of the improvements that were not deemed suitable for implementation at this stage.
The GNSO Council has reviewed and discussed the final status update [include link].
The GNSO Council adopts the final status update and considers the GNSO PDP Improvements Project hereby complete.
The GNSO Council directs staff to move ahead with the identified next steps including: integrating the inclusion of the proposed PDP Charter as part of the Preliminary Issue Report; development of draft guidelines for the use and application for face-to-face facilitated PDP WG meetings for Council review and adoption, and; developing a survey to assess the familiarity that the community has with the different newcomer and training tools as well as their perceived usefulness.
MOTION TO CREATE A DRAFTING TEAM TO FURTHER DEVELOP RECOMMENDATIONS TO IMPLEMENT THE GNSO’S NEW ROLES AND OBLIGATIONS UNDER THE REVISED ICANN BYLAWS – 29 JUNE 2016
Made by Paul McGrady
Seconded by: Susan Kawaguchi
- On 27 May 2016 the ICANN Board adopted a set of new ICANN Bylaws, as revised on 26 May 2016, that aim to reflect changes needed to implement the IANA Stewardship Transition Proposal and such adoption is contingent on the proposed transition away of remaining United States Government oversight of ICANN; and
- The GNSO Council is aware that changes that may need to be made to the GNSO’s current Operating Procedures and related mechanisms and to the ICANN Bylaws in order to give effect to new roles and obligations of the GNSO under the new Bylaws, such as those in this table (http://gnso.icann.org/en/drafts/revised-bylaws-notes-comments-procedures-14jun16-en.pdf), including but not limited to the GNSO’s participation in the Empowered Community;
- The GNSO Council requests ICANN staff to issue a call for volunteers for a Drafting Team that will work with ICANN staff to fully identify all the new or additional rights and responsibilities that the GNSO has under the revised Bylaws, including but not limited to participation of the GNSO within the Empowered Community, and to develop new or modified structures and procedures (as necessary) to fully implement these new or additional rights and responsibilities.
- Volunteers for the Drafting Team will be identified by GNSO Council members. Volunteers should express interests and can demonstrate reasonable knowledge of or experience with the process of revising the ICANN Bylaws or GNSO Operating Procedures. The Drafting Team shall reflect the current composition of the GNSO and as such, the GNSO Council may review the number of volunteers identified by the GNSO Council members. GNSO Councilors are requested to identify volunteers by letter to the GNSO Council Chair by 22 July 2016.
- The Drafting Team shall provide the GNSO Council with an implementation plan, which will have the consensus of the Drafting Team, including any recommendations for needed further changes to ICANN Bylaws and/or GNSO Operating Procedures to enable effective GNSO participation in ICANN activities under the revised ICANN Bylaws, not later than 30 September 2016.
- As part of the process of its consideration of the implementation plan, to be approved by a GNSO supermajority vote, the Council may further request that the Drafting Team work with ICANN staff to develop new, or propose modifications to existing, procedures and structures to implement the revised Bylaws for the GNSO. Any such new, or proposed modifications to existing procedures and structures to implement the revised Bylaws for the GNSO would also require a GNSO supermajority vote.
Motion to extend the term of the current GNSO Liaison to the GAC and confirm the extended timeline for the selection process for the next GNSO liaison to the GAC.
Made by: James Bladel
Friendly amendment: Wolf-Ulrich Knoben (in bold)
Seconded by: Volker Greimann
1.The GNSO Council adopted the "Request for Candidates - GNSO Liaison to the GAC" which includes the proposed call for volunteers, application and evaluation process (see http://gnso.icann.org/en/drafts/request-liaison-gac-30mar16-en.pdf during its meeting on 14 April 2016.
2. The subsequent call for volunteers resulted in the decision to extend the selection process.
3. The GNSO Leadership team shared with the Council its assessment
misalignment of the current deadline and the fact that the terms of possible candidates (e.g. former Council members) end at the ICANN AGM and as a result proposed to extend the selection timeline as follows: Nominations Accepted for Candidates - 1 OCT 2016; Council Chairs consider candidates and notify first choice - 20 OCT; Chairs submit motion to Council by 29 OCT for consideration during Council meeting on 8 NOV; GAC Leadership notified of new Liaison by 9 NOV.
4. The current GNSO Liaison to the GAC has agreed to extend his term
until the ICANN AGM in Hyderabad.
5. The GNSO Council leadership expects that appointments of this
nature will continue to be necessary in the future, and these selections would benefit from a uniform selection process.
Additionally, the Council notes the upcoming implementation work associated with the post-transition bylaws will include work on drafting a uniform selection process, and this could be expanded to cover additional roles.
1. The GNSO Council hereby confirms the extension of the term of the current GNSO Liaison to the GAC, Mason Cole, until the end of the ICANN AGM in Hyderabad.
2. The GNSO Council instructs the GNSO Secretariat to inform the GNSO Stakeholder Groups and Constituencies of the extended selection timeline (Nominations Accepted for Candidates - 1 OCT 2016; Council Chairs consider candidates and notify first choice - 20 OCT; Chairs submit motion to Council by 29 OCT for consideration during Council meeting on 8 NOV; GAC Leadership notified of new Liaison by 9 NOV).
3. The Council instructs Staff to include consideration of a uniform selection process as part of the work associated with implementing the post-transition bylaws