Public Comment CloseStatement



Call for
Comments Open
Call for
Vote OpenVote CloseDate of SubmissionStaff Contact and EmailStatement Number

08 February 2019

07 February 2019

08 February 2019

11 February 2019

14 February 2019

08 February 2019

Shani Quidwai and Kirsten Wattson

Statement 1 submitted 08 February 2019: 


Statement 2 submitted 14 February 2019:


Hide the information below, please click here 


The final version to be submitted, if the draft is ratified, will be placed here by upon completion of the vote. 

Statement 1 submitted 08 February 2019: 

Statement 2 submitted 14 February 2019:


The final draft version to be voted upon by the ALAC will be placed here before the vote is to begin.

Additional Statement submitted 14 February 2019 (current vote):

First statement submitted 08 February 2019:


The first draft submitted will be placed here before the call for comments begins. The Draft should be preceded by the name of the person submitting the draft and the date/time. If, during the discussion, the draft is revised, the older version(S) should be left in place and the new version along with a header line identifying the drafter and date/time should be placed above the older version(s), separated by a Horizontal Rule (available + Insert More Content control).

24 January 2019

Please see Google Doc for draft ALAC statement here (comment only).


  1. Some initial comments to encourage further discussion. Each is on a particular portfolio or project area and incorporating specific At-Large concerns

    1.1.1 Language Services

    At-Large appreciates the further provision of translations, transcription, interpretation and scribing support across all meetings throughout ICANN in order to support the needs of those with hearing disabilities as well as languages that are not among the UN and other languages currently provided for (178476).

     It is also appreciated that there is to be some focus on Plain English resources that will enhance understanding of the information that is distributed about policy and other ICANN matters (17846).

     Over several meetings in the past, there have been concerns raised jointly by both At-Large and the GAC who have petitioned the Board: to direct ICANN Org to produce executive summaries of key documents to enable non-expert stakeholders “to quickly determine, whether a particular issue is of concern to them, and if yes, to participate in the process easily and effectively, on equal footing with other stakeholders, even if ICANN is not in their full-time focus.”  Members of both At-Large agree that information about important issues is often distributed in language that is both too technical and not easily understood. The rules when writing briefing notes for Ministers from my own experience is “use plain language, short paragraphs and uncomplicated sentences” in order to get the message across. Of importance also would be an impact assessment of each issue on different stakeholder groups – from both legislative to end-user levels. Information provided in this format would also help to enhance the understanding of our ordinary end-users as well.

    The LACRALO Translation tool needs an overhaul so that it can meet the demanding language translation needs of the regional community. There are issues with some people getting translation services and others not, and the difficulties of translating different levels of Spanish. The Comms team are working on the problem, but apparently funding is an issue in order to provide the support that this particular programme currently in use, requires.

  2. 1.1.2 Raising stakeholder awareness world-wide

    RALOs would greatly benefit from communication activities that would support and strengthen their regional engagement strategies and initiatives (176398) – and hopefully it is assumed that they would be included in the planning of these activities. We would not have a repeat of an unauthorised reprint of an old version of our RALO brochure which we must continue to distribute that we are still having to get rid of we will be allowed to produce an updated brochure.

    The At-Large website landing page goes directly to its policy page which although important provides NO introduction to what At-Large is, what part it plays in ICANN (as per its bylaws), who its key players are, and what our responsibilities are within ICANN, etc. Such introductory information is important to set the scene for who we are and help to develop better understanding even from within ICANN itself about At-Large’s mandated role within ICANN.  Having At-Large participants involved in the design of its website would be appreciated. 

    The community wiki has often been targeted as needing attention and in the interim, At-Large staff and the Chair have created a “Gateway” so that members of our own community can access the pages on the community wiki that they NEED in order to effectively do the work that we are mandated to do. Much of the problem relates to the inconsistent way that pages are named. While the taxonomy that is being created will surely assist in accessing the correct information in the distant future, are needs are such that we are coordinating the Gateway ourselves in the interim so that we in At-Large can at least find what we need when we need it.

    Finally, the IGF is one of the major international events where At-Large leaders focused on re-engaging current members as well as capturing any new members. The At-Large booth at the IGF in Paris (160505?) was probably one of the busiest booths mainly due to ISOC ALSes bringing their colleagues to meet the ALAC and RALO leaders who were present (and to have photos taken with them which in themselves helped to raise awareness among the ISOC members as well as on Glenn  McKnight’s ICANN Flickr site). One disappointment was that despite our preparations, our At-Large banner which would consolidated our identity within ICANN, did not arrive as requested. RALO leaders are now looking to use discretionary funds to purchase table top retractable RALO banners so that each leader can at least have a mini-banner representation to identify their presence appropriately at regional events. Significant too was that despite the high level of commitment and engagement by ALAC and RALO leaders at the booth, none were sponsored by ICANN to attend the event.

  3. 1.2.2 Engage Stakeholders regionally

     Information Transparency Initiative (141753)  While it is appreciated by At-Large members that ICANN is considering making its website multi-lingual, we would hope that the first priority it to make sure that the website’s information management system is useful with logical flow of information, on a platform that is more easily accessible by regular users, and with a user-friendly interface. Some information on the At-Large website was criticised by the reviewers yet it was information that had already been identified as not meeting the information needs of the way At-Large wanted it to be displayed, yet it has still not been removed.

    In order to upgrade ICANN Org's technical infrastructure to better serve ICANN's global community, why are the users of this service consulted in order to meet their information needs rather than what ICANN Org believes is what is it that we need. It is important too that there is more  feedback from the users of the At-Large website from across other sections of the ICANN community whose information needs about At-Large could also be met.

    In the rollout of the policy infographics, At-Large it was unfortunate that the At-Large infographic was late for rollout and not available to us before the IGF.   There, it would have been an ideal opportunity to explain the role of  At-Large had within the system of Policy advice in ICANN to the many current ALS members who stopped by our booth during the event.

     While we can understand the cost-effectiveness of producing all communications/brochures, etc, that are future-proofed and generic does not make the information relevant to regional ALS and individual members who want to read and learn about THEIR regional information and its leaders and events - things that are relevant to them about the organisation they belong to. It is important that we provide them with the information they need in our attempt to make them feel that they are valued and that they belong, and to encourage them to participate in our work programmes. .

    At-Large appreciates the provision that is being made within the GSE budgets (188503 and possibly 160505) to enhance cooperation and partnerships regionally among stakeholders and to increase regional engagement within ICANN in its technical and policy work. This objective has been incorporated into our Review Implementation Plan as well as in our planning for Kobe. Both the ALAC Chair and the Head of GSE are working collaboratively to encourage more cooperation between RALOS and their GSE staff. A GSE Liaison has been created to work with the RALO Chairs and the activities of the Outreach and Engagement Working Group. This relationship also gains importance for RALOS when the original CROP programme is now part of the core activities of GSE.  

     RALOS are also interested in enhancing our relationship with other ICANN partners for example RIRs with whom there are varying partnership opportunities within the different regions. For example, APNIC offers Fellowships for which APRALO members and others who are not currently members, are encouraged to apply for to attend regional events such as the APRIGF. This opportunity enables APRALO leaders who attend the event, to encourage non-member Fellows to become engaged with At-Large. The same does not happen in other regions. 

  4. 1.3.1 Support Policy Development, Policy Related and Advisory Activities

    At-Large appreciates the continued ICANN support for 5 FTEs to assist our Policy related goals and objectives during FY19/20 (151055 and 151157). We have also been encouraged that within our At-Large Review Implementation Plan that we have been able to work with Heidi and her staff to more appropriately assign staff roles according to the objectives that we have set for ourselves.  Policy is our major focus in At-Large, so that a priority for us is the need for a dedicated staff member to be assigned to our Policy Workstream to ensure that the advisory task that is required of At-Large is given the appropriate attention by someone who is knowledgeable of the expectations of the advisory comment procedures, especially as new templates  are introduced (eg the EPDP reporting template). Dedicating 1 FTE to this role will however put pressure on the other staff, so that a request has been made that we will require another FTE to take over her other roles and to allow for other improvement areas in the Plan.  

  5. 1.3.2 Reinforce Stakeholder Effectiveness, Collaboration and Communication Capabilities

     It has been noted that $200k has been allocated for ATLASIII (189052) - to the Travel and Meetings budget to cover the organisation and implementation of the ATLASIII event. This includes supporting the work of the ATLAS Organising Committee, the production of the skills development materials and activities and successful implementation of the ATLASIII. 

    Addition: I note on P24 of the Operational plan that $225k has been allocated for 60 travellers, and $189k earmarked for other ATLASIII costs.

  6. 5.2.2 Organisational Reviews

    While it must be noted that the ALAC took great pains to try to implement positive changes to the way in which we believe things can be improved within At-Large without any great cost to ICANN, it has been noted (in 31523) that there was no funding allocated to the actual Implementation of any of the Board approved recommendations resulting from the Final Report. While we acknowledge that in our first phase we hoped our costs would be minimal and we are attempting to do what we can, “in-house”, however, in our attempt to incorporate some much needed efficiencies we find that we cannot do this without stretching the capacity of our current staff level, some of who are being shared with other ICANN groups. This section explains more fully a request previously mentioned in 1.3.1. Policy is the area for which we have targeted an already identified dedicated staff member, but in doing so, this will impact on the expectations of her other previous but just as important responsibilities which has also become an important area for us – managing and monitoring the activities of ALS and individual members of At-Large so that we care getting the best value out of their membership to contribute to the policy and outreach work of At-Large.  Yet we also note in the Projects table summary that $200k has been allocated for Organisational Reviews.  Would it be possible to access some of these unassigned funds to address an important staffing item identified within our Implementation Plan ??)

  7. 5.3 2 Supporting Stakeholder Participation

    At-Large would be very interested in learning more about the pilot programme (151960) to promote and strengthen regional stakeholder participation.  At the same time we applaud the continued support for the Fellowship (151962) and the Next Gen@ICANN (151 961) Programmes, as well as their continued internal developments to encourage participants to be more engaged with ICANN before, during and following their Fellowships.

    ICANN Learn (176554) will be a major preparatory feature of the ATLASIII programme, so that any participants will be up to speed with what ICANN does so that during the ATLAS programme they can do the deep dive into the leadership aspects of our work with regards to working groups and leadership within RALOS and their communities – again to encourage greater engagement from already registered ALS and individual members. Therefore At-Large appreciates the support given to educational programmes that will encourage an interest among our members and their subsequent interest in becoming an active part of our community.

    Again, as mentioned above any support that can be given to GSE (188502) to support regional education and awareness events and initiatives would be appreciated, by our Outreach and Engagement working group, as long as we are informed about what is going on and how we can be helpful in facilitating partnerships that will support capacity building as well as our aim to increase stakeholder engagement in our policy work.