Vote CloseDate of SubmissionStaff Contact and EmailStatement Number
n/aPreferential Treatment for Community Applications in String Contention

Adopted
14Y, 0N, 0A

Rinalia Abdul Rahim (APRALO)05.08.201308.08.201309.08.201312.08.2013
00:00 UTC 
15.08.201316.08.201319.08.2013n/aAL-ALAC-ST-0813-02-00-EN

FINAL VERSION TO BE SUBMITTED IF RATIFIED

Please click here to download a copy of the PDF below.

AL-ALAC-ST-0813-02-00-EN.pdf 

FINAL DRAFT VERSION TO BE VOTED UPON BY THE ALAC

The ALAC notes that some of the new gTLD applications that are intended for communities and have wide public or grassroots support were not submitted as community applications.  These applications are currently in contention with those that are not designed for the benefit of specific communities of interest and are driven purely by commercial considerations.

We firmly believe that applications with demonstrable support, appropriate safeguards and strong emphasis on community service should be accorded preferential treatment in the new gTLD string contention resolution process. We thus support the position of the Governmental Advisory Committee (GAC) as per its Durban Communiqué dated 18 July 2013.  We call on ICANN to review all 688 applications currently in contention and provide preferential treatment to applications that meet the characteristics of community applications.

FIRST DRAFT SUBMITTED

The ALAC notes that due to strict eligibility criteria, some of the new gTLD applications intended for communities and with wide public/grassroots support were not submitted as community applications.  These applications are currently in contention with those that are fully commercial (i.e., driven purely by financial gain). 

We firmly believe that applications with demonstrable support, appropriate safeguards and emphasis on community service over revenue maximization should be accorded preferential treatment in the new gTLD string contention resolution process.  We thus support the position of the Governmental Advisory Committee (GAC) as per the GAC Communiqué dated 18 July 2013 and call on ICANN to review all 688 applications currently in contention and provide preferential treatment to applications that meet the specification described above.

• No labels

8 Comments

1. Dear ALAC Colleagues,

There are urgent emerging issues related to the new gTLD string contention that the EXCOMM believes warrant an ALAC intervention.  With the support of Evan, I have taken the liberty of drafting an ALAC response for your immediate input.  We need to submit the statements by the second week of August (latest) to have the possibility of an ICANN response before community priority evaluation begins.  Please do try your best to provide comments for improvements or endorsements if you like the text/intent via the wiki page indicated by Thursday (8 August 2013).   

Policy Development wiki page links and statement text pasted below for your quick review.  If the wiki link is not active, kindly copy and paste the URL for activation.

Thank you!

Best regards,

Rinalia

1. ALAC Statement on Preferential Treatment for Community Applications in String Contention

WIKI page for your comments: https://community.icann.org/display/alacpolicydev/ALAC+STATEMENT+ON+PREFERENTIAL+TREATMENT+FOR+COMMUNITY+APPLICATIONS+IN+STRING+CONTENTION

DRAFT ALAC STATEMENT ON PREFERENTIAL TREATMENT FOR COMMUNITY APPLICATIONS IN STRING CONTENTION

The ALAC notes that due to strict eligibility criteria, some of the new gTLD applications intended for communities and with wide public/grassroots support were not submitted as community applications.  These applications are currently in contention with those that are fully commercial (i.e., driven purely by financial gain). 

We firmly believe that applications with demonstrable support, appropriate safeguards and emphasis on community service over revenue maximization should be accorded preferential treatment in the new gTLD string contention resolution process.  We thus support the position of the Governmental Advisory Committee (GAC) as per the GAC Communiqué dated 18 July 2013 and call on ICANN to review all 688 applications currently in contention and provide preferential treatment to applications that meet the specification described above.

END

2. I will support such a statement.

1. Anonymous

There seems to be a problem with my login ID, but I want to be on record as supporting this initiative.

Gareth Shearman

3. I am happy to support the statement

Holly Raiche

4. Ed, Gareth and Holly:  Thank you for the support.  Please note that there is a second statement related to this one, but focuses on the expertise required for prioritizing community applications.  This second statement is also in need of comments/support. Link is here:

2. ALAC Statement on Community Expertise in Community Priority Evaluation

WIKI page for your comments: ALAC STATEMENT ON COMMUNITY EXPERTISE IN COMMUNITY PRIORITY EVALUATION

Many thanks.

Rinalia

5. Hello Rinalia,

thanks for this.

Preferential treatment for community applications...

1) like Tijani, I do have a question about the degree to which such things are enforceable. But I agree with your initiative.

2) A detail: at the end of the first paragraph, I would suggest "(driven by commercial considerations)" instead of (i.e., driven purely by financial gain).

Jean-Jacques.

6. Thank you, Jean-Jacques.  Your suggestion has been incorporated.  Regarding enforceability, we will know based on the Board's reaction to this statement. Best regards,  Rinalia

FINALIZED STATEMENT TEXT

The ALAC notes that some of the new gTLD applications that are intended for communities and have wide public or grassroots support were not submitted as community applications.  These applications are currently in contention with those that are not designed for the benefit of specific communities of interest and are driven purely by commercial considerations.

We firmly believe that applications with demonstrable support, appropriate safeguards and strong emphasis on community service should be accorded preferential treatment in the new gTLD string contention resolution process.  We thus support the position of the Governmental Advisory Committee (GAC) as per the GAC Communiqué dated 18 July 2013.  We call on ICANN to review all 688 applications currently in contention and provide preferential treatment to applications that meet the specifications described above.

END

1. This finalized statement has my support.

Carlton