Assignee(s)

Call for
Comments Open
Call for
Comments
Close 
Vote OpenVote CloseDate of SubmissionStaff Contact and EmailStatement Number

05 December 2016

Phase II Assessment of the Competitive Effects Associated with the NewgTLD Program

ADOPTED

13Y, 0N, 0A

Holly Raiche

27 November 2016

06 December 2016

06 December 2016

12 December 2016

06 December 2016

Eleeza Agopian

AL-ALAC-ST-1216-01-01-EN

Hide the information below, please click here 

FINAL VERSION TO BE SUBMITTED IF RATIFIED

The final version to be submitted, if the draft is ratified, will be placed here by upon completion of the vote. 

FINAL DRAFT VERSION TO BE VOTED UPON BY THE ALAC

The final draft version to be voted upon by the ALAC will be placed here before the vote is to begin.

ALAC Statement on the Phase II Assessment of the Competitive Effects Associated with the New gTLD Program[1]

The genesis of this Assessment comes the Affirmation of Commitment that required ICANN ‘promote competition, consumer trust and consumer choice in the DNS marketplace’. With the introduction of new gTLDs, ICANN commissioned the Analysis Group to assess the impact of the new gTLDS program’s impact on competition in the domain name marketplace.  Phase I of their assessment was published in September 2015, a year after the introduction of new gTLDs.  This is Phase II of their assessment and measures outcomes against the baseline findings it made a year before.

‘Competition’ is only one of the three areas of impact that has been assessed with the introduction of new gTLDs. But based on this Assessment and its attempt to measure ‘competition’, there is no clear case that end users have benefitted from the expanded DNS marketplace.

The Report is unequivocal that the introduction of new gTLDs have not impacted either price or non-price competition. The first issue raised by the Assessment is what they mean by ‘competition’.  Competition in a market place is generally taken to mean a marketplace in which goods that are substitutable for each other competing against each other.  Clearly, that classic understanding of the term does not apply in this situation.  What the Assessment does instead is look for changes in the DNS marketplace in both price and non-price terms.

Arguably, an expansion in the DNS market could be seen to benefit end users of the Internet. Indeed, the Assessment points to its possible benefits: the introduction of new registries, new registrars, a decrease in prices and greater choice of domain names.

However, the outcomes of the Assessment are, as best, equivocal. As it concludes:

While we are unable to draw conclusions about whether the New gTLD Program has caused a change in competition in the domain name marketplace, some of these changes in the past year are consistent with what one would expect to see in a market place with increased competition.[2]  

The most useful information from the Assessment is about the changes in registry numbers and their share of registrations. Based on the sample of new gTLDs studied [3] the greatest change was in the set of entities included in the largest 15 registries and registrars, and a decline in the share of registrations held by the top 15 registries and registrars between Phase I and Phase II. The largest percent in registry operators was in the Asia Pacific and European regions. Specifically, the top registrar, by share of new gTLD registrations in Phase II went from 2.9% to 24.8% between Phases I and II, with the next largest jump from .0% to 6.3%. [4]  Another potentially positive outcome of the study is that new gTLDs target registrants with a variety of interests.[5]

The Assessment’s conclusion on the impact of new gTLDs on the market was that there was worldwide impact of new gLDs on legacy gTLDs: registration of legacy TLDs ‘followed the same pattern before and after the beginning of the new gTLD program. It did observe, however, a decline in both new and legacy gTLDs after the entry of regional TLDs.  On those issues, it concludes:

We however do not have sufficient data to fully analyze the substitutability of new gTLDs for the legacy TLDs.[6]

A recent study on the impact of new gTLDs was far less positive about the introduction of new gTLDs. Their research found that:

…only 15% of domains in the new TLDs show characteristics consistent with primary registrations, while the rest are promotional, speculative, or defensive in nature; indeed, 16% of domains with DNS records do not even resolve yet, and 32% are parked.[7]

The definition they use of ‘parked’ domains is ones that are ‘owned by an ad network or are for sale by their owners and typically return Web pages dominated by ads.[8] Their conclusion: the new gTLDs have ‘yet to provide value to the Internet community in the same way as legacy space’.[9]

If the outcomes on non-price ‘competition’ are questionable, outcomes on price are more so. As the Assessment report notes, requests for current and historical pricing data were sent to all registrars. Only 14 percent of registration volume of the new gTLD sampled was provided in both Phase I and II.  In Phase II, the study had to rely on publicly available retail price data but, as the report notes, because the researchers had to rely on publicly available data (covering 39 of the 54 registrars sampled) the analysis of retail pricing ‘may not be representative’.[10] The charts on pricing, therefore, are necessarily on “Collected” information.[11]

Clearly, this Assessment was carefully done, with as much comparison with Phase I outcomes as could be reasonably be drawn. What the Phase II outcomes do not do, however, is to make a clear case for significant benefits arising from increased ‘competition’ with the introduction of new gTLDs.  

As the Assessment itself concludes, they were

… unable to draw conclusions about whether the new gTLD Program has caused a change in competition.[12]

At the introduction of new gTLDs, the ALAC argued for a range of metrics to be used in assessing the success (or otherwise) of the introduction of new gTLDs under all three headings: competition, choice and consumer trust.  At that time, the ALAC proposed metrics for consumer trust and choice that could be used in assessing their achievement:

• End user confusion
  • Growth in the use of domain based and not domain based alternatives for Internet resource access
  • Complaints to, and action taken in relation to new gTLDs
  • Transparency of contact information
  • Accuracy of promotion of new gTLDs to end users
  • Technical issues encountered.

We are now aware that in relation to end user complaints pertaining to DNS abuse and action taken in respect of gTLDs in general and new gTLDs in particular, there are significant differences between incidents and their impact reported by ICANN compared to other reputable independent agents.

The ALAC awaits the testing of the expanded DNS marketplace against metrics for consumer trust and choice. This is particularly true for developing and under developed economies that lack the basic infrastructure and know-how to take advantage of such opportunities.

In conclusion, the outcomes of Assessment are, at best, equivocal. While there has been some expansion in registry numbers and new market entrants, only 15% of the new domains have the characteristics of primary registration. From an end user perspective, most of the resultant new registrations are speculative, defensive, unused or parked – adding little of value to end users. And from an industry, there is no clear evidence of lower prices or more choice. Based on this Assessment, there is little evidence of benefit to end users with the introduction of new gTLDs.

[1] Analysis Group, Phase II Assessment of the Competitive Effects Associated with the new gTLD Program (the Assessment), 2016 p 5. At <http://ian.ucsd.edu/papers/imc15-tld.pdf>

[2] Ibid p 2.

[3] Ibid, pp 4-8 on how the sample data of registries/registrars and associated price data was determined.

[4] Ibid Table 3D p 28

[5] Ibid p 2.

[6] Ibid p. 53.

[7] Department of Computer Science and Engineering, University of California, From .academy to .zone: An analysis of the New gTLD Land Rush, p. 1

[8] Ibid p 5.

[9] Ibid p. 1

[10] Assessment, Op Cit p 10

[11] Ibid, see charts pp 12-15.

[12] Ibid p. 2

FIRST DRAFT SUBMITTED

The first draft submitted will be placed here before the call for comments begins.

The ALAC has argued for a range of metrics to be used in assessing the success (or otherwise) of the introduction of new gTLDs under three headings: competition, choice and consumer trust.  Prior to the introduction of new gTLDs, the ALAC proposed metrics that should be used in assessing the achievement of consumer trust, as follows:

• End user confusion
  • Growth in the use of domain based and not domain based alternatives for Internet resource access
  • Complaints to, and action taken in relation to new gTLDs
  • Transparency of contact information
  • Accuracy of promotion of new gTLDs to end users
  • Technical issues encountered.

The ALAC was disappointed that additional metrics were not adopted to fully determine the impact of new gTLDs on one of the three metrics - consumer trust. 

Nevertheless, increased competition that leads to a decrease in price and greater choice could be seen to benefit end users. Phase I, undertaken in 2014 with the introduction of the new gTLDs was undertaken to provided a benchmark against which impacts of the new gTLDs can be measured. The Phase II Assessment outcomes, therefore, provide useful information in determining the extent to which new gTLDs have resulted in overall benefits to end users.  

The outcomes of Assessment II however are, as best, equivocal.  As that Assessment concludes:

While we are unable to draw conclusions about whether the New gTLD Program has caused a change in competition in the domain name marketplace, some of these changes in the past year are consistent with what one would expect to see in a market place with increased competition (P. 2).

The most useful information from Assessment II is about the changes in registry numbers and their share of registrations. Based on the sample of new gTLDs studied [1] the greatest change was in the set of entities included in the largest 15 registries and registrars, and a declide in the share of registrations held by the top 15 registries and registrars between Phase I and Phase II. The largest percent in registry operators was in the Asia Pacific and European regions. Specifically, the top registrar, by share of new gRLD registrations in Phase II went from 2.9% to 24.8% between Phases I and II, with the next largest jump from .0% to 6.3%. (see Table 3D, p 28).  Another potentially positive outcome of the study is that new gTLDs target registrants with a variety of interests.(p. 2)

The Study’s conclusions on the impact of new gTLDs on the market was that there was worldwide impact of new gLDs on legacy gTLDs: registration of legacy TLDs ‘followed the same pattern before and after the beginning of the new gTLD program. (P. 53) The studydid observe, however, a decline in both new and legacy gTLDs after the entry of regional TLDs. (p. 53) On on those issues, the study concludes:

We however do not have sufficient data to fully analyze the substitutability of new gTLDs for the legacy TLDs (p. 53)

It is more difficult to draw any conclusions on the impacts of new gTLDs on price. As the Assessment II report notes, requests for current and historical pricing data were sent to all  registrars.  Only 14 per cent of registration volume of the new gTLD sampled was provided in both Phase I and II.  In Phase   II, the study had to rely on publicly available retail price data, but, as the report notes, because the researchers had to rely on publicly available data (covering 39 or the 54 registrars) the analysis of retail pricing ‘may not be representative’.(p. 10) The charts on pricing, therefore, are necessarily on “Collected” information. (see charts pp 12-15.)

Clearly, Phase II of this program was carefully done, with as much comparison with Phase I outcomes as could be reasonably be drawn. What the Phase II outcomes do not do, however, is make a clear case for significant benefits arising from increased competition with the introduction of new gTLDs.   As the Study itself concludes, they were

… unable to draw conclusions about whether the new gTLD Program has caused a change in competition. (P. 2)

The ALAC, therefore, believes that, until clear evidence of increased choice and consumer trust can be established as arising from the introduction of new gTLDs,  the case for introducing more new gTLDs has not been established.

[1] See  pp 4-8 on how the sample data of registries/registrars and associated price data was determined.

8 Comments

1. Comment from Carlton Samuels

--

I like the fact we lifted that quote on effects from the Assessment but in my view the ALAC should apply sharper language and label the competitive intent of new gTLD as meretricious, at best. The big question: how do we measure competition against the legacy market when that market is price-capped at the wholesale level?

IMHO, the measure of competition was always going to be fanciful with the fact of a wholesale price cap on .com and .net names. I also believe this was deliberate. How do you measure competition or seek comparability with the market constraints in place? And even if we were going to use the price-capped wholesale price in evidence, the lack of reporting requirements for wholesale pricing in the new gTLD registries is a prima facie handicap to assessment. 

Kaili is the economist so he can suggest the technical language - and I strongly suggest use of the technical language to describe this. 

1. Comment from Holly Raiche

--

Thanks Carlton - absolutely agree - and it’s one of the points made - the pricing information that they have is prices that are capped. What they don’t have is retail pricing- which is why they admit they don’t have the information they need to make judgments

2. Comment for Holly Raiche to consider

--

Regarding the assessment itself, it includes the findings by AG, showing

·  Average and median retail prices for registrations of legacy and new gTLDs have declined.

·  Retail mark-ups over wholesale prices have generally declined. 

Where these "findings" come from is unknown, as AG's own data show the opposite. 

Also, the assessments states that "The overall wholesale price level of legacy gTLDs is lower than that of new gTLDs". This expression seems to be misleading as an assessment of the new gTLD program. The correct statement should be "The overall wholesale price level of new gTLDs are HIGHER than that of legacy gTLDs."

Furthermore, it is a disappointment that the large-scale parking of domain names are not included as an issue of this assessment (2/3 of new registrations), while showing a large growth of new registrations.  This is again misleading.  Writing on this issue today for CCT-RT's discussion as well as some literature on this issue are attached FYI.

NewTLDLandRush_Parking.pdf

ParkedDomains_Parking.pdf

3. Comment for Holly Raiche to consider

--

First of all, I agree with your conclusion: "until clear evidence of increased choice and consumer trust can be established as arising from the introduction of new gTLDs,  the case for introducing more new gTLDs has not been established."  (maybe somewhere add "and out-weighing the drawbacks of it")

However, in addition to what is already pointed out, I wonder if we may add a few draw-backs of the new gTLD program, including the effect of large scale of domain parking, and the protection of brand names.  From ALAC's end-user point of view, both of these effects are negative, which is to be carefully weighed against the positives, i.e., increased choices.  However, I am sure that different AC/SOs, or even different constituencies within the same SO, e.g., GNSO, will have different opinions.

Furthermore, I wonder if we would want to de-emphasize the importance of competition.  Strictly speaking, only goods which are substitutable may be considered competing against each other in the same market.  As gTLDs can hardly substitute each other, after some heated debate, CCT-RT has avoided using the word "competition", but only talked about market concentration.  Another reason is, as I expressed in my last email to you, the cost of domain name registration is negligible in mast cases, making the market itself being price insensitive.  On the other hand, no non-price competition could be observed to change much either, leaving the meaning of the gTLD string itself the most important non-price factor.  However, with over a thousand new gTLDs, it is now increasingly hard to find more meaningful new strings for the "next round".  This gives us another reason to hold it for the time being.

I do not know what this document is for and what could/should be covered.  However, if it is an official advise of ALAC to the Board, I wonder if we should/could add something about brand name protection.  The new gTLD program obviously amplifies the drawbacks on this issue.  Thus, maybe we could suggest ICANN further study on this issue, including suggestions to study the feasibility of the "next round" to focus on brand-name TLDs as well as on large scale domain parking.  I believe these will make ICANN's further study on them more likely to happen, and further enhance ALAC's position on safeguarding end-users' interests overall.

4. Comment from Vanda Scartezini

--

I see a very difficult problem to be solved related to consumer trust in several new gTLDs I would like to raise for your consideration:

As we saw in a recent study I was part, in this region, consumer choice is reduced due the lack of sales facilities (reduced number of resellers, reduced number of registrars (none in Brazil for instance under 2013 RAA), foreign registrars  in other language ( web + contracts).

For the other side, several string were conceived to improve consumers trust, demanding specific information, data or certification to assure members are really those expected to be part , offering to users a trustful information, service – (some well-known strings as pharmacy, health, but also others as eco - from ecology- or .ngo –for not fake not for profits -  just to mention few). 

Unhappily this is facing a barrier to enter into the market due the interference those strings will make with the automatic Registrar process.

To deal with millions of names Registrars need to have a high level of automation in their process.

To prove that who is asking to be registered under such domains is compliant with the exigencies, Registrars need to stop the automatic process and this, of course, has a price to be paid; even if the Registry will pay such price, the changing in the process are not well accepted by registrars and some new strings that had focus on consumer trust are not find adequate sales channel to enter into the market as they had expected.

This is really a difficult problem I have raised in other for a but as I see, the only way to deal with this is allow the new registry to try to sell directly their names, expecting they will assume the cost to deal with individuals resellers around the world, translations etc.

5. I think that there should be some inclusion in the statement on exactly how it is perceived that the new gtld programme will impact positively on under-developed and developing countries - especially those among the next billion end-users, for whom their own ccTLD may still be an under-used resource mainly through lack of access and knowledge of the internet ecosystem. New gtlds are targetted towards the competitive markets of developed countries while under-developed economies lack the basic infrastructure and know-how to take advantage of such opportunities.

6. Great final statement, Holly!!

7. Two comments, or better call it thoughts.

Next-billion in non-ascii world can be measured in success/failure of gTLD IDNs. However the success/failure by itself is driven by 3 factors: 1) off-line use of IDN domains, such as outdoor advertising, media (including tv, radio, newspapers) pointing to real IDN names or ascii redirects;  2) online use (with consideration of huge number of parked IDN domains and ascii redirects); 3) The expected driver force is IDN@IDN.IDN email support, which is in premature stage (see Universal acceptance reports). In IDN world we already see the rise of IDN TLDs in factor 1 and 2 and expect push after 3) IDN email. Should I say, consumer IDN trust based on simple conclusions: it works, it is easy to use/remember/search, it works for email.There is interesting observation about the cannibalization between .RU and .РФ - we were unable to confirm our initial fear.  

I think it is important to measure IDN gTLDs as sub-track of the research.

Second thought is not the new one. ccTLDs and gTLDs are part of the same ecosystem. In the reports huge part of this ecosystem is missing. For instance, according (last 6 months) to the largest registrar from Russia, most of their margin (not revenue) generated by new gTLDs, while maintaining revenue (with low margin)  from ccTLD and IDN ccTLD.