Gisella Gruber-White:Welcome to the NARALO Monthly call on Monday 10 February 2014 at 2000 UTC
Gisella Gruber-White:Agenda: https://community.icann.org/x/LwS6Ag
Alfredo Calderon:Hello, all. I will just be listening.
Silvia Vivanco:Hello all
Garth Bruen:Hello all
Glenn McKNight:Louis I got the NOMCOM brochures today from staff
Eduardo Diaz:!Hola a todos!
judith hellerstein:Hi All
Alfredo Calderon:Saludos Eduardo. Nos vemos en un rato.
Gisella Gruber-White:Avri Doria and Seth Reiss have joined the call
Peter Knight:Greetings from Globetrotter in Rio ;-)
judith hellerstein:Globetrotters in DC is also here
Silvia Vivanco:Gisella is looking into the mail lists requests
Gisella Gruber-White:@ All - reminder to please say your name when speaking for transcript purposes
Alan Greenberg:Length of agenda is unreal!
judith hellerstein:yes and people wanted to add to it today
Kerry Brown:I have no sound going to try a different computer
Gisella Gruber-White:Tom Lowenhaupt has joined the call
Evan Leibovitch:someone on the call appears not to like the agenda
Eduardo Diaz:There is a baby that want to talk
judith hellerstein:it is like the youtube commercial
Avri Doria:staff does not whine.!
Evan Leibovitch:have to step away for a moment. brb
Glenn McKNight:Note the Accessibility Workshop call is this week
Silvia Vivanco:The At-Large Ad-hoc ICANN Accessibility Working Group is a new group
Silvia Vivanco:see the WIKI
Silvia Vivanco:correct the GALA was chnaged
judith hellerstein:This is the singapore meeting right not the london one
Glenn McKNight:Thanks for all who have joined this is one of teh largest NARALO attendee calls 18 members
Alan Greenberg:Gala moved due to local issues. Not a plan for future meetings.
Glenn McKNight:Edwardo do you have details on the mentoring program?
Glenn McKNight:Can you provide the links
Glenn McKNight:It's a moving target
Joly MacFie:I am interested in teh Disability WG. Should I contact CLO?
judith hellerstein:Glenn I signed on to something that you are running. What was it?
Peter Knight:@Glen, looking forward to a visual as well as textual report on the upcoming meetings in Singapore, London.
Glenn McKNight:She is the interim chair
Glenn McKNight:@ Joly I would email her
Glenn McKNight:Sorry for the record who is speaking?
Peter Knight:Idem, who just spoke?
judith hellerstein:It was Ogi Mitev of ISOC colorado
Peter Knight:Have the fellowships for the T&T SSIG workshop been announced yet?
Glenn McKNight:Thanks Judith
Glenn McKNight:I was busy taking notes
Peter Knight:They were supposed to be announced in first week of February. I applied, no answer.
Avri Doria:on netmundial.br in april. in tend to get there one way or another. not sure i will get a seat or funding, but i am counting on getting there.
Garth Bruen:Thanks avri
Peter Knight:Me too, have applied to NetMundial people, many of whom I know.
Glenn McKNight:Thanks Darlene
Louis Houle:I received an email a few minutes ago. Some small details are asked.
Konstantin Kalaitzidis (SFBayISOC):Just to calrify -- there are 5 CROPP trips allowed for all of NARALO -- it is not ALS specific?
Glenn McKNight:We need to encourage one more submission for CROPP keep in mind the necessary 6 or more week turn aroound
Glenn McKNight:5 for each group
Silvia Vivanco:We noted your efforts Garth!
Silvia Vivanco:and Glenn
Glenn McKNight:We have five slots for NARALO
Silvia Vivanco:good job
Avri Doria:i am spending the next 3 weeks at WSIS MPP, IGF, WGEC and IETF. not sure that this is important to the region, though
Peter Knight:Querry -- SSIG again -- when will aceptances be announced??
Konstantin Kalaitzidis (SFBayISOC):Thank you Glennn for the CROPP response
Silvia Vivanco:I was speaking no we do not have
Silvia Vivanco:visually impaired
Glenn McKNight:It's US Law to have a policy for hiring and contracting under the Section 508
Glenn McKNight:I see Yubelkys in the list
Alfredo Calderon:We have in puerto Rico a fairly well known resource for a blind accessibilty workshop or what is being done in Puerto Rico. - Prof. Jose "Manolo" Alvarez - at http://www.manolo.net/
Glenn McKNight:she is typing
Yubelkys:yes I am talking
Olivier Crepin-Leblond:on phone or on adobe connect?
Silvia Vivanco:Gisella can you please look into this? upload ppt
Matt Ashtiani:@garth - i will start the presentation
Glenn McKNight:Please post their slides
Glenn McKNight:waiting for the slides to be posted by staff
Yubelkys:i am calling
Silvia Vivanco:Matt is working on it
Glenn McKNight:I can see it
Glenn McKNight:no sound
Gisella Gruber-White:Leah Symekher joined the call
judith hellerstein:Perhaps they should have tested this before hand
Yubelkys:I jast called in
judith hellerstein:I only see the opening slide
Silvia Vivanco:Hello yes we can hear you!!
judith hellerstein:no i can not hear anything or can only see the front page
judith hellerstein:now it is working
Peter Knight:Just expostulate, don't repeat the slides!
Peter Knight:Small text not visible in AC
Alfredo Calderon:Yes, Peter 28,000 faculty members.
Peter Knight:In each institution, or tota?
Alfredo Calderon:More than 500,000 students.
Glenn McKnight:Really neat
Peter Knight:Must be total faculty, not a requirement to have 28 k faculty per institution.
Alfredo Calderon:Yes, Peter among all institutions.
Yubelkys:yes, total faculty at sll member institutions
judith hellerstein:and peter knight as well
Louis Houle:I will send you our choice next week, Glenn
Peter Knight:I am also CAT!
Silvia Vivanco:Welcome David Allnut and Capital area Globtrotters
Alfredo Calderon:Great short video interviews.
Alfredo Calderon:I saw them over the weekend.
Peter Knight:Video not visible on AC
Glenn McKnight:Ten videos for everyone to enjoy
Glenn McKnight:Too big you can download them
Glenn McKnight:We are looking for leaders in Canada on Internet Issues
judith hellerstein:is this part of your isoc grant?
Silvia Vivanco:https://community.icann.org/display/NARALO/NARALO+Monthly+Reports+2014 (see NARALO Report)
Glenn McKnight:Also the Accessiblity WOrking Group
Silvia Vivanco:http://icannwiki.com/index.php/Alain_Berranger (Alain Berranger)
Silvia Vivanco:our condolences to his family and friends
Glenn McKnight:The last couple of years I managed to capture a number of images and video of NPOC and Alain so we have his eloquent and thoughtful insights recorded. Here is a playlist of the NPOC Sessions http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHeYfhcpf4QSDaawP2adGl0WfsdEMYam7
Avri Doria:I worked with him in NCSg, and he was maeverlous. However, he did not start it, otherse did.
Avri Doria:he chhanged the atmospher that the others haad started.
Alfredo Calderon:Our condolences to his family and friends from HETS Staff
Glenn McKnight:Louis has submitted his report
Glenn McKnight:for NOMCOM
Glenn McKnight:No report yet on Accessibility our first call this week
Glenn McKnight:Louis I have bookmarks from staff today. Delivered within a few days to take to ARIN and NTEN
Alan Greenberg:Note that 6.1.3 is NOT part of this section. Should be under 6.7
Peter Knight:I thought NOMCOM is no longer accepting nominations.
Peter Knight:To Board.
Alan Greenberg:NomCom is just starting its work
Glenn McKnight:Louis can you provide the timeline for everyone
Peter Knight:I sat in on a meeting where they were discussing, I thought, that they were done receiving nominations. Perhaps I misunderstood. There were three candidates already endorsed, a few more under consideration. Three RALOS have to support a nomination.
Silvia Vivanco:NOMCOM: http://www.icann.org/en/groups/nomcom/2014
Silvia Vivanco:ATRT 2: http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/atrt2/2013/001382.html
Alan Greenberg:Peter, I think you are talking about the selection of the At-Large Director, not the NomCom appointed positions that Luis was talking about.
Peter Knight:Ah, @Alan, I was confused!
Alan Greenberg:Oops - Louis
Tom Lowenhaupt:Louder please Olivier.
Olivier Crepin-Leblond:London Mobile Phone Network is rubbish -- hence not loud enough
Olivier Crepin-Leblond:I have the mic an inch away from my mouth
Glenn McKnight:I have submitted for ATRT last week
Olivier Crepin-Leblond:anywhere else in the world my phone works but in London 50% of the time it sounds like I'm in Timbuktu
Olivier Crepin-Leblond:very far away
Alan Greenberg:Does that mean it DOESN'T work in Timbuktu??
judith hellerstein:Is there any video option to see who is speaking?
Silvia Vivanco:Finance and Budget SC: https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/Finance+and+Budget+Subcommittee+WG+Teleconference+2014-01-14
judith hellerstein:i heard you. volume was a little soft but very clear
Alan Greenberg:Often the person speaking is shown with their hand up.... Olivier now.
Louis Houle:Time line for NomCom 2014
Glenn McKnight:Thanks Louis
Silvia Vivanco:BMSPC: https://community.icann.org/display/ABMS/Board+Member+Selection+Process+Committee+cross+RALO+meeting+2014.02.07
Glenn McKnight:Important for NARALO this year is the Two At Large Advisory Committee (ALAC) representatives (one each from the Europe, and North America regions)
Avri Doria:Can a candidate name his repalcement?
Avri Doria:seems somewhat problematic.
Glenn McKnight:Applications will be considered in confidence and should be received by 1 April 2014 for full consideration. Selections are scheduled to be announced in August 2014. Successful candidates will take up their positions following ICANN's Annual Meeting in October 2014.
Louis Houle:I lost the phoneline
judith hellerstein:what are we voting for now?
Seth Reiss:yes, please clarify
Silvia Vivanco:Please Garth clarify the question
Heidi Ullrich 2:I see 5
Avri Doria:Picking ones one is an awful idea! worst of political inbreeding.
Heidi Ullrich 2:Hi all, apologies for being late
judith hellerstein:so this is how you voite?
Glenn McKnight:Louis remove your checkmark
Avri Doria:only reps voting?
Olivier Crepin-Leblond:on a call -- it is not a vote per-se. It's just taking the temperature of the room
Peter Knight:Can't see how to puot in the checkmark
judith hellerstein:should everyone be voting or just some people
Seth Reiss:Its hard to vote if we have been asking for the issue to be clarified
Avri Doria:i am shocked it is even being considered.
Peter Knight:I try clicking on my line in place where other check marks are. I vote in favor the current (anywhere in NARALO territory)
judith hellerstein:yes I have no idea how to vote
Evan Leibovitch:shocked that what is being considered?
Alan Greenberg:Decsision of NARALO can be taken during a meeting. The specific replacement issue does require a formal vote (per ALAC RoP)
Peter Knight:How do we get broader representation geographically by keeping discussion in the immediate vicinity of existing members?
Avri Doria:yes, Even, it smells of cigar filled back room, let me pick someone i think will vote for me.
Avri Doria:even if that is not what you are doing, it smells of it.
Heidi Ullrich 2:Accessibility WG workspace: https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/At-Large+Ad-Hoc+ICANN+Accessibility+Working+Group
Glenn McKnight:We will have this call on Thursday 13th at 1900 UTC - I will send out the meeting invitation later today.
Peter Knight:I can smell the virtual cigar smoke ;-)
Glenn McKnight:THis is the very first call we haven't set the meeting agenda etc
Heidi Ullrich 2:PD page: https://community.icann.org/display/alacpolicydev/At-Large+Policy+Development+Page
Alan Greenberg:Avri, replacement explicitly bound by RoP to "ALAC Members, or any individual selected to replace an ALAC Member for the purposes of the vote, are encouraged to consult with the RALO from their region, but voting will however be undirected and votes must be cast in the best interests of At-Large, the ALAC and ICANN." If NARALO would vote for ANYONE that they feel would not honour this, they should be shot.
Garth Bruen:No official descision on the voting at the moment
Avri Doria:and then i might think that there may be a conflict between being on noman and voting here.
Avri Doria:... on nomcom and ...
Avri Doria:since they will have conflicting purposes.
Avri Doria:and will have inside knowledge others dont have, which is not a propoer NAROL consideration in the vote.
Avri Doria:Seems a terrible idea in so many ways.
Alan Greenberg:There is no proscription about someone on a SO/AC who selects a Board member from serving on the NomCom (not that I am aware of anyways)
Glenn McKnight:Anyone interested to showcase in April or May for the SPOTLIGHT?
Avri Doria:i know, Avri, prepress yourself!
Avri Doria:repress ...
Avri Doria:Evan, who picks the memebrs of these Boards?
leah symekher:apologies, I have to drop off. Took my one hour lunch-time for this Meeting so need to report back. great agenda. will follow up with Konstantin. thx all
Evan Leibovitch:Avri: That level of detail has not yet been fully cooked
Seth Reiss:stepping away
Evan Leibovitch:The email thread I referred to can be found here: http://atlarge-lists.icann.org/pipermail/alac/2014/007632.html
Garth Bruen:@Avri, this is all clearly an issue which needs more detail, not going to make snap descisons on this
Avri Doria:Evan that is a critical issue. BTW, why isn't this a policy change. and if so, shouldn't it got thorugh PDP?
Louis Houle:Yes Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish
Silvia Vivanco:And also if a contract between the parties needs to be translated the contracting parties will probably request it
Avri Doria:Garth, I recommend where the process of choosing the replace voteers is done without engaging the candidates, and that it not take their considerations into account.
Alan Greenberg:Multi-lingual RAA - http://www.icann.org/en/resources/registrars
Heidi Ullrich 2:2013 RAA: http://www.icann.org/en/resources/registrars/raa/approved-with-specs-27jun13-en.htm
Alfredo Calderon:I have to excuse myself. I have a nother meeting in 15 minutes.
Yubelkys:Adios Alfredo. Hablamos pronto!
Alan Greenberg:English, Spanish, French, Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Russian and Arabic.
Heidi Ullrich 2:Portuguese!
Alan Greenberg:No Portuguese in the list that I can see.
Louis Houle:I was mentioning UN languages
Louis Houle:Tom, I would like to be part of the discussion on city TLD
Matt Ashtiani:airel :)
judith hellerstein- Capital Area Globetrotters:Welcome Ariel. Look forward to meeting you when you get back to DC
judith hellerstein- Capital Area Globetrotters:what number in the agenda are we up to?
Olivier Crepin-Leblond:London mobile networks
Olivier Crepin-Leblond:no worries I don't need to speak
Olivier Crepin-Leblond:please clsoe the call :-)
Olivier Crepin-Leblond:back on
Yubelkys:Thank you for an interesting first meeting. looking forward to meet you in London!
Tom Lowenhaupt:Got to go.Thanks everyone.
judith hellerstein- Capital Area Globetrotters:Yes. Thanks as well. This was my first meeting as well
Olivier Crepin-Leblond:Thank you for the excellent call, Garth!
Glenn McKnight:tHANKS ALL
Louis Houle:Thanks everyone
Peter Knight:Well managed, Garyth
Gisella Gruber-White:Thank you everyone
Heidi Ullrich 2:Thanks, everyone!
Gisella Gruber-White:Welcome to the NARALO Monthly call on Monday 10 February 2014 at 2000 UTC