Terri Agnew 2:Welcome to the NARALO Outreach Event WG call  on Monday, 11 August at 20:30 UTC

Terri Agnew 2:Meeting Page: https://community.icann.org/x/-8HhAg

silvia.vivanco@icann.org:See NARALO Outreach event WIKI pagehttps://community.icann.org/display/NARALO/NARALO+Outreach+event+-+ICANN+51+meeting+in+Los+Angeles

silvia.vivanco@icann.org:https://community.icann.org/display/NARALO/NARALO+Outreach+event+-+ICANN+51+meeting+in+Los+Angeles

Glenn McKnight:hi all

Glenn McKnight: Do you think the idea of  a  NARALO Community Event  is a good idea?YesNo

Eduardo Diaz:I need to move away from my computer but will be connected via telephone.

Louis Houle:The sceen came back

ga:Gee thaks

ga:"ga" is Garth Bruen, clicked too quickly.

Gisella Gruber:Stephanie Perrin has joined the call

Gisella Gruber:Ga - thank you Garth!

silvia.vivanco@icann.org:@ all other showcases we had 100-150 pax per Showcase

silvia.vivanco@icann.org:we need to have a headcount for budget

Louis Houle:Can we see the pictures (-;)

ga:killed by its success

Gisella Gruber:Loris Taylor has joined the audio bridge

John Laprise:May I ask(staff), how many of the interested people are active members one year on? Do we allocate resources for follow-on involvement or is it simply for the event?

silvia.vivanco@icann.org:@ John, after the Showcases we have has 4-5 new ALS applying

Terri Agnew 2:Poll number one is open:  Do you think the idea of  a  NARALO Community Event  is a good idea?

Glenn McKnight:@ one sec  Terry

silvia.vivanco@icann.org:and some RALOs have established great connections thanks to the Showcases

Glenn McKnight:@ terry taking  comments  first

John Laprise:I'm curious because if we throw a big "recruitment" event, then improving yield is crucial.

Terri Agnew 2:Ok

Glenn McKnight:Louis you are next

Stephanie Perrin:I agree with Garth...

Stephanie Perrin:I just wanted to agree that a famous speaker who is not speaking to us, and regarding the issues about which we are passionate, is just a theatre piece. 

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:The Keynote Speaker could also help with Sponsorship. For example both SFO & Toronto has keynote speakers from organisations that paid sponsorship

Glenn McKnight:@ louis  so you have another  item?

Louis Houle:@Olivier: sponsorship is needed I guess, to hold the event, no?

Sarah:I don't have enough experience about all of this to have an opinion yet...

judith Hellerstein:+Stefanie

Konstantin Kalaitzidis (SFBayISOC):how about connecting a famous speaker that works for a large company and has a connection  to one of the themes related to Internet a Right for All

judith Hellerstein:How do we vote?  I wanted to try and do this but could not figue it out

Stephanie Perrin:I think there are definitely US companies who would be pleased to wrap themselves around a Helen Keller type speaker, if we could find some (eg. Hello Microsoft)

Stephanie Perrin:Another idea would be a kids panel....

MAtthew Rantanen:I agree with Loris.

Louis Houle:@Kons: Goog point.

Gisella Gruber:@ Judith - we will open the polls when Glenn gets to this

Glenn McKnight:Sorry folks on the poll since we are into a valid  discussion

Glenn McKnight:@gisella  is  everyone  looking at the polls?

Glenn McKnight:I can see them

Stephanie Perrin:Anthony from Winnipeg

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:how about some well known entrepreneur from Los Angeles?

Loris Taylor:We can get a hoop dancer or a tribal dance group from one of the 566 Native Nations in the U.S.

Louis Houle:@ga: saw your private chat?

Garth Bruen:A person who solved a problem for other users or for themselves, someone who made the internet more accessable to those who have the hardest time.

Stephanie Perrin:I dont supppose anyone is interested in how underpriviliged groups use the Internet for dissent?  Such as environmental groups....

Konstantin Kalaitzidis (SFBayISOC):old hand -- just came down -- sorry

Garth Bruen:It's not that no one is interested, I think people having difficulty even getting on to get their voice hear is more critical.

Garth Bruen:@Olivier that is why I suggest Ken Harrenstein

Stephanie Perrin:the reason I ask, is that we have lots of native groups up north who are having a hard time getting bandwidth (no pun intended, who also have concerns about mining and development and land claims....

judith Hellerstein:If you are talking about people from the interent hall of fame, i recommend Elizabeth Feindler.  She is really very impressive  http://www.internethalloffame.org/inductees/elizabeth-feinler

Garth Bruen:Elizabeth is great - she does not want to be involved in ICANN - but she might talk to us!

Stephanie Perrin:Once again I find myself agreeing with Garth, I did not know about Harrenstein and that he was deaf...

Garth Bruen:His deafnet work was translated into the funamental tools we use

Loris Taylor:Wab Kinew is a great Native storyteler and journalist who can speak to the digital and media divides in Indian Country.

Louis Houle:I second Garth. It's not only a good idea, it's a good move for us I think!

Garth Bruen:Some of the polls look stuck

Garth Bruen:Loris, anyone you know using digitl technology to preserve dying native languages?

Loris Taylor:Yes, there are a number of tribes.  I can provide a list.

Stephanie Perrin:You might want to look at circumpolar communication....our Inuit now communicating with Russian and Finnish Inuit

Garth Bruen:Hmmm, that's cool

Loris Taylor:The Ojibway and Cherokee have language apps along with a number of other tribes.

Konstantin Kalaitzidis (SFBayISOC):how about a combination of a and b -- yes should be formal and structured, but the speeches should be limited to a timy amount of the event

Loris Taylor:I like Konstantin's idea.

Heidi Ullrich:Hi All, did we agree to a length of time?

Heidi Ullrich:It will be on Wednesday evening as the Gala will be on Monday and Tuesday is not a good day.

Sarah:I am at work, so this was a larger chunk of my day to be on a call...

Stephanie Perrin:too close to IGF

Heidi Ullrich:We need to submit meeting forms by the 27th

John Laprise:+1 Stephanie

Heidi Ullrich:so please could we confirm the date/time?

Stephanie Perrin:Many of us are still in Istanbul

Garth Bruen:They should, briefly

judith Hellerstein:the igf ends on Sept 5

Garth Bruen:Istanbul was Constantanople

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:yes brief indeed!

Gisella Gruber:Tuesday 9 September at 2030 UTC

Louis Houle:Not during the French night or ISOC meeeting.

Allan Skuce:Bye.

• No labels