Gisella Gruber-White:Welcome to the At-Large ICANN Academy Expanded WG meeting on Friday 01 June 2012
  Gisella Gruber-White:Agenda: https://community.icann.org/x/cgAIAg
  Tijani BEN JEMAA:Hi Gisella
  Tijani BEN JEMAA:Sandra is not here yet?
  Tijani BEN JEMAA:I sent the presentation to Avri because it seems that she didn't received it
  Gisella Gruber-White:Reminder to please mute your microphones when not speaking
  Gisella Gruber-White:If you are on the phone bridge as well as the Adobe Connect room, please mute your computer speakers
  Hong Xue:Thanks!
  Gisella Gruber-White:Welcom to everyone!
  Gisella Gruber-White:Phone mute: *6 and unmute *7
  Hong Xue:Hi, can you hear me? I want to know if I need to install a mike to speak.
  Gisella Gruber-White:Please also say your name when speaking for transcript purposes
  Bill Drake:Adobe sound much better than Skype
  Bill Drake:No Stephane...?
  Bill Drake:Olivier should change his last name to Forthetranscript :-)
  Gisella Gruber-White:Carlos Aguirre has joined the call
  Gisella Gruber-White:Wolf Ludwig has joined the call
  avri:how long is the call scheduled for?  I heard extended discussion and became curious.
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:Most of you will have seen the slides in Costa Rica
  Wolf Ludwig:Sorry -- I have to leave in some minutes again, picking up my daughter from the school camp. But I have seen this before ;-) Great work!
  Carlos Dionisio Aguirre:My Question is What about the curriculum builded for the committee program? Could be modified now?  
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:This pyramid integrates part of the work the PPC, Fellowship, etc.
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:yes Carlos -- that's EXACTLY one of the tasks of the expanded WG
  Carlos Dionisio Aguirre:thanks Olivier. and many thanks to understand when I said builded, I want to say built !
  Stéphane Van Gelder:Hi everyone, sorry I'm late.
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:Welcome Stéphane
  Stéphane Van Gelder:Thx Olivier, nice to be here.
  Bill Drake:Is this still teh relevant version: Draft      Initial      Proposal      (as      of      18.02.2012)
  Carlos Dionisio Aguirre:The current curriculum are here: https://community.icann.org/download/attachments/31168402/Draft+Initial+Proposal+%28as+of+18.02.2012%29.pdf?version=1&modificationDate=1329954389000
  Sandra Hoferichter:yes, draft because the community input is not included
  Sandra Hoferichter:this is the At-Large proposal
  Carlos Dionisio Aguirre:yes is the current draft
  Bill Drake:gracias
  Carlos Dionisio Aguirre:de nada, con mucho gusto !
  Yuliya Morenets:Will it be possible to participate online during Prague meeting?
  Sandra Hoferichter:I assume so Yuliya!
  Yuliya Morenets:Thank you Sandra!
  Gisella Gruber-White:@ Yuliya - we will have remote participation for Prague
  Bill Drake:Quote of the day: in ICANN, to move forward, put the carriage before the horse.
  Stéphane Van Gelder:Add "and that takes leadership" ;)
  Bill Drake:leading from behind, defined
  Sandra Hoferichter:@Stephane it was not my intesion to be unpolite not answering your question, just liked to collect some questions statements
  avri:prerequisite for the pilot: to have been newly selected for a leadership role.
  avri:.. selected, or elected, ...
  avri:only at AGM
  avri:and then to think about the wider program for new particpants, but not proosals on that yet.
  Hong Xue:wow, terrbile noisy line.
  Rumy Kanis:sorry, can't hear that!
  Heidi Ullrich:Tijani, we have static on your line.
  Gisella Gruber-White:@ Tijani - we are calling you on the phone now
  Heidi Ullrich:We are looking into the source.
  Stéphane Van Gelder:OK Sandra, nonetheless I am grateful to Olivier for providing that comprehensive answer and not letting the question get lost in the volume of other questions that will be asked.
  avri:Other members are people elected/selected by the SO/AC for leadership positions.
  avri:i think that any new nomcom memebr should take this before they start to function as a leader.  how can we say it is too much for them, when several days later they will be making decsions for the community.
  Chuck Gomes:I like limiting the # of trainees to a relatively small group but think we might be able to increase beyond 15 if there is demand.
  avri:i mean new nomcom appointee, member of some leadership structure ...
  avri:i think the number is budget factores.  but yes, it could be larger if the budget were larger.
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:...and we all collectivtely have to learn to walk before we start running
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:it's a first step.
  avri:OCL, well you did suggest extended discussion ...
  Sandra Hoferichter:I have to leave in 30 min
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:we'll extend for 15 minutes max
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:if it's okay for all here
  Stéphane Van Gelder:Yes, fine, thx.
  Chuck Gomes:We should still try to get volunteer, unpaid trainers, if possible.
  Stéphane Van Gelder:Yes, that would be better as far as this initiative's budget would be concerned.
  avri:i think teachers are an class of people who will volunteer to give a lecture for free, especailly in a pilot program.  as long as their expenses are completely covered.  
  Hong Xue:Faculty should be volunteers, like other volunteers at ICANN.
  Stéphane Van Gelder:good point Avri (about expenses).
  Carlos Dionisio Aguirre:this course could be called "leadership 1"? because there are many other issues to touch in the program. in this case 3 day course / program not to be enough. in this case more budget could be necessary, and of course more discussion
  Rumy Kanis:important to give some thought to: how to select good trainers, and how to monitor performance/knowledge/prerequisites of the trainers?
  Carlos Dionisio Aguirre:this is a big challenge!
  Chuck Gomes:I suggest that our group leaders request a budget estimate from ICANN staff right away.
  Gisella Gruber-White:*7 to unmute
  Rumy Kanis:microphone doesn't seem to be working sorry!
  Rumy Kanis:am on adobe connecy
  Rumy Kanis:connect
  Rumy Kanis:is connected
  Rumy Kanis:but i mentioned my point in the chat
  Rumy Kanis:it was about the prerequisites for the trainers/instructors
  Heidi Ullrich:Rumy Kanis: important to give some thought to: how to select good trainers, and how to monitor performance/knowledge/prerequisites of the trainers?
  Rumy Kanis:content knowledge experts are not necessarily good instructors and vice-versa
  Sandra Hoferichter:The budget estimate (accommodation / meeting room) was developed jointly with ICANN staff
  Carlos Dionisio Aguirre:I thin is neeeded both things, knowledge, experience and to be good instructor
  Sandra Hoferichter:So these numbers are reliable
  Rumy Kanis:exactly avri!
  Rumy Kanis:thank you
  Chuck Gomes:There are ways to use experts who are not good trainers effectively (e.g., directed Q&A, etc.)
  Carlos Dionisio Aguirre:I think the key question is : Who will be a  traines selector ?
  Rumy Kanis:no its still raised from previous
  Rumy Kanis:didn't raise my hand :)
  avri:Re trainer slection: i think it is the programme committee in cooperation with current leadership and the ICANN staff sponsors.
  Carlos Dionisio Aguirre:so, we need carefully elect our programme committee :)
  avri:current leaderhip == {ac/so leaders, SG and C leaders, Ralo leaders, Board members, wg chairs, ...}
  Hong Xue:Sandra just said selection should be done by each SO or AC.
  Chuck Gomes:Excellent meeting.  Thanks.
  Carlos Dionisio Aguirre:agree with chuck. very good meeting. !
  avri:the schedule is getting rather pressed.  we wait to long, it will be difficult to get done by Toronto.
  Chuck Gomes:Totally agree Avri
  avri:i beleive we should proceed as if approaved for budget and then hope we are right.
  Chuck Gomes:Agree
  Bill Drake:Create a fait accompli
  Bill Drake::-)
  Carlos Dionisio Aguirre:we need to give all, to reach some pilot for Toronto. even without big budget
  Rumy Kanis:have a nice weekend all
  Sandra Hoferichter:Bye thank you!
  Heidi Ullrich:Bye, thanks for joining.
  Gisella Gruber-White:We look forward to seeing you in Prague

• No labels