CLO: To you wish to discuss the draft text on the calendar?

DAT: Re the text, I've seen CLO and TBJ's comments. I need to still review these comments and incorporate them into a second version.

Review of Action Items/Proposals - starting with Rec. 4/Action item 4.3

ALS Confluence pages and Adobe Connect for each region.
Status is completed. However, the TF may wish to consider training, etc for increased use.

TBJ: Use is very low. There is not any real use of these facilities. Except for Dakar Events. We used the AC for this. The Confluence wiki pages are not used at all by the AFRALO ALSes. It is dependent on the overall participation of the AFRALO ALSes. They are already more on the monthly calls. I will be developing an Action Plan.

CLO: How do we fix this?

TBJ: It is an issue of involvement of the ALSes.

DAT: The LACRALO ALSes were not aware of how to use the pages and AC. Does the AC include the Adigo bridge?

CLO: The AC room communication tool can be used.

HU: The AC room does not include Adigo bridge.

CLO: Let's set up our next call to use this technology. Some of you may still wish to use the Adigo phone bridge.

DAT: I am ok with that.

CLO: Ok. We'll do that.. However, I suspect that there is an awareness and training issue to be addressed.

TBJ: In Dakar, we raised the availablity issue.

CLO: Let's run the experiement for our own call next time. It will also be a task for OCL, HU and CLO to set ground rules.

TBJ: Very important for AL to participate in these forums. It will show that ICANN is really bottom-up. We need to have this.

YL: In Europe, there is EurDIG. In general, it would be good for ICANN to have more people who care about ICANN because it in their benefit to strengthen these fora as opposed to all those suggestions that intergovernmental orgs should take over the governance of the Internet.

NE: Fatima and I requested funds for participation in the pre-regional IGM meeting held in T and T. We received the funds from LACNIC.

CLO: How do we proceed on this?

OCL: This is an case of ICANN wanting to have its cake and eating it, too. In the run-up to the launch of the new gTLDs, only staff and Board members have  been funded to participate. Some of our ALS reps have organized new gTLD events. But it is always a case of selective bad hearing.. We've never had our members funded to go to a third party organization. I do think that it will take a while to change these notions. Perhaps by repeating the same message over and over. It will be interesting to see if the launch of new gTLDs will make more funding available. In the past, the answer has been "at this time, we don't have the funding available".

CLO: This proposal ties in very closely with the next one: "Request that ALAC be invited to and funded to  participate in all outreach programs launched by ICANN". We should likely leave this to the SC on Finance and Budget.

OCL: I think that would be the right action. This group could write a formal note to the SC on F and B so as to transmit it in the next round of budget requests. We have been funded, but the volunteers were expected to fund their own way. It is my personal feeling that volunteers should not need to use their own funds.

CLO: I would think that is shared by many of our volunteers.

CLO: So with these two points, the requirement is for us to create some text between now and the next meeting. I would suggest that this text be created by two or three members and then brought back to the group for wordsmithing. Also advice for action from the ALAC re the SC on F and B.
I would think that OCL be an essential part of the drafting team. Would anyone else like to voluneer?

CLO: I will ask Natalia

OCL: The ALAC SC on F and B will hold a call this week and then one early in January. We have until late January for the submission of requests. We would need this letter ASAP.

TBJ: Deadline for FY13 budget requests is 20 January.

CLO: Tijani, would you be willing to assist with the drafting?

TBJ: I must say no.

Rec: To invite AL members from countries currently without any ALS to a series of outreach teleconferences aimed at reaching the goal of having one ALS in every country.

DAT: The idea behind this point is that there about 18 countries without any ALS structures. in LACRALO. My thought was to idenfity potentioal people in these countries and invite them to a series of telconferences.

OCL: I'd be happy to see this happen.

YL: I think that teleconferences may  not be the best tool for the first step. First step might be to approach people at international internet conferences.

CLO: What about a simple business card that would have the At-Large website link; space for a name to be written on it for follow up.

OCL: The idea of a small card would be useful.

Next Call: 9 January 2012 at the same time (AC audio bridge)
To discuss the text for sending to ALAC for on-going requirements for the SC on F and B.

• No labels