Terri Agnew:Welcome to the EURALO Bylaws Taskforce Call held on Wednesday, 15 June 2016 at 18:00 UTC

Terri Agnew:meeting page: https://community.icann.org/x/9BuOAw

Silvia Vivanco:Welcome all

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:Hello All!

Silvia Vivanco:dear Jean-Jacques please be so kind to speak close to your microphone

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:@Silvia, I've increased the volume.

Silvia Vivanco:Thank you so much !

Terri Agnew:Action Items: https://community.icann.org/x/GheOAw

Silvia Vivanco:10) The General Assembly shall determine whether or not items on the draft agenda shall be modified, deleted, or further items added to the Agenda as part of its work, including whether or not to consider any items submitted to it.

Silvia Vivanco:wording of the article above

Silvia Vivanco:ALAC ROPs wiki : https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/Rules+of+Procedure

Silvia Vivanco:11.3 Agenda11.3.1 All meetings should have an agenda, preferably published ahead of timeidentifying the topics to be covered in the meeting as well as the projectedtime to be allowed for each item.

Silvia Vivanco:11.3.2 A meeting may have a “Consent Agenda” that will include Motions whichare deemed to not require further discussion and may be adopted byConsensus or vote as a single item.11.3.2.1 Items within the consent agenda will be deemed to have beenmoved by the Chair and seconded by a Vice-Chair as identifiedin the Consent Agenda.11.3.2.2 Any ALAC Member may request that a specific item from theConsent Agenda be removed and dealt with independently.

Silvia Vivanco:Articles read by Olivier above

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:Thanks @Silvia

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:@Olivier, could we simply adopt and adapt the ALAC model?

Wolf Ludwig:I would support this Jean-Jacques to adopt ...

Wolf Ludwig:... instead of defining "own" rules ...

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:Roberto just said "I've said what I needed to say"

Roberto Gaetano:no big deal, was not important

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:@Mikhail: sorry, I did not understand your first remark?

Wolf Ludwig:The GA is the *superior Body* anyhow!

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:@Mikhail, Roberto, Wolf, Olivier: could we just adopt the ALAC text and adapt it to our reality?

Mikhail Medrish:Yes @Wolf

Roberto Gaetano:I guess my worry is that, if applied literally, we could have routinely items added to the agenda without any preparation of documents

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:@Roberto +1.

Mikhail Medrish:My first remark - this wording is going from our Bylaw

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:@Olivier: but things like "consent agenda" etc. is the bread and butter throughout ICANN bodies.

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:@Olivier: fine, except that "published" is not as good as "communicated to the Members"

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:Let me suggest: 10.1 All meetings should have an agenda, preferably published ahead of timeidentifying the topics to be covered in the meeting as well as the projectedtime to be allowed for each item.10.2 The General Assembly shall determine whether or not the draft agenda should be amended or kept as is.

Roberto Gaetano:@Olivier I would take out "preferably",

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:published --> communicated to members

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:@Roberto +1, delete "preferably".

Wolf Ludwig:good point, Robert!

Wolf Ludwig:Sorry Robert*o* ;-)

Silvia Vivanco:Yes I am editing taking your points

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:@Olivier, for 10.2, I suggest "the GA shall approve the agenda, as presented or modified".

Roberto Gaetano:will never be empty - will have at least "approval of the agenda" :)

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:@Mikhail: so you would accept my proposal (see in the Chat, under 10.2 suqare brackets.

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:@Mikhaiil, it seems obvious that the draft agenda will be prepared by oue Board, not by ICANN Staff or anyone outside our Board...

Wolf Ludwig:Let's try to keep it as simple as possible!

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:@Olivier, I suggest for 11: "The person chairing the General Assembly shall propose the type of vote for any specific item..." (and we can add the rest here).

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:@Wolf: I suggest "Any Member may request a secret ballot".

Wolf Ludwig:Agree Jean-Jacques!

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:"In case consensus is not reached, any Member may request a secret ballot".

Wolf Ludwig:It also respects minority attitudes

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:@Olivier, i would avoid the word "open"...

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:@Olivier, for 12 I suggest a slight redrafting, "Quorum will be reached by the GA is at least one third of the ALS members take part in the meeting".

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:("If" at least...)

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:@Olivier: about "open", one remark: "consensus" is attained WITHOUT a vote, so the step immediately after consensus should be "a vote". The third step would be "secret ballot".

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:@Jean-Jacques: is this not what's in  the text in 11 in the Action ITems?

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:All: in 12, the formulation is clumsy in legal terms. Preferable: "For ordinary decisions, a quorum of (proportion) of the GA is required; for the more important decisions, a quorum of (proportion) of the GA is required".

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:@Olivier: indeed, the current 11 does not mention "open".

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:Wolf: If the GA is not quorate then an online vote needs to be organised on the decisions which have been preliminarily voted by a non quorate General Assembly.

Roberto Gaetano:I think that the problem comes from the fact that we mix quorum for validity of the AGM and quorum for a vote result to be valid

Mikhail Medrish:@Wolf: Good idea

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:@Roberto: good catch!

Wolf Ludwig:But I think Olivier's suggestion works well!

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:All: the formulation "The GA shall have a quorum..." is clumsy and inaccurate. See my suggestion above, "for..., a quorum of (proportion) of the GA is required", etc.

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:"If the GA is not quorate, an online vote shall be organised regarding the decisions taken on a preliminary basis by a non-quorate General Assembly".

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:@Mikhail: see Roberto's point in this chat, we need to differentiate between quorum for a GA and quorum for a decision.

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:I support Roberto's point, rather than Mikhail's.

Wolf Ludwig:Plus one!!!

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:@my proposed draft for 12, please delete at the end of the sentence the expression "non-quorate".

Roberto Gaetano:Alternatively, I can live with voiding a GA for lack of quorum, if there is an automatic expulsion of members missing two meetings in a row

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:To tidy up, my updated suggestion: "If a vote during the GA is not quorate, on online vote shall be organised regarding the decisions taken on a preliminary basis during that GA."

Roberto Gaetano:Is this task force meeting valid, as we have only a tiny minority of the members?

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:@Roberto all decisions of this task force will be subjected to approval by EURALO GA

Roberto Gaetano:@OCL: it was a provocative question. Just to point out that lack of participation is not a rare event

Wolf Ludwig:Excellent idea, Jean-Jacques!

Wolf Ludwig:Thanks a lot guys -- it's a pleasure to work with you!

Mikhail Medrish:Thank you

Roberto Gaetano:can we have a F2F in Helsinki?

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:I'll be in Helsinki.

Roberto Gaetano:We might have a quorum

Mikhail Medrish:Bye

• No labels