APRALO Elections 2011 at a Glance

Results of the 2011 APRALO election calls

APRALO Chair election, May 2011

An election was held for the role of APRALO Chair.  This online poll closed at 23:59 UTC on 19 May 2011.  See the poll report from BigPulse below. 

Report date: Friday, 20 May 2011, 00:52 UTC.

The poll was closed on Thursday, 19 May 2011, at 23:59 UTC.

Number of voters: 15.  Group size: 19.  Percent voted: 78.95%.

Ranked by votes

Rank Candidates

Votes

%

Charles Mok

Sivasubramanian Muthusamy

Abstain

APRALO-selected leadership for 2011-13, as a result of these election calls  

APRALO Chair:  For both interim term of 19 May 2011 through 30 June 2011 and official term of 01 July 2011 through 30 June 2013

Mr. Charles Mok (ISOC-HK)

EFFECTIVE from 20 May 2011 through 30 June 2013

APRALO Vice-Chair:  For official term of 01 July 2011 through 30 June 2013

Ms. Holly Raiche (ISOC-AU)

EFFECTIVE from 01 July 2011 through 30 June 2013*

APRALO Secretariat:  For official term of 01 July 2011 through 30 June 2013

ISOC Hong Kong (appointment of Mr. Pavan Budhrani; continues to hold this position)

EFFECTIVE from 01 July 2011 through 30 June 2013

*APRALO has two Vice-Chairs, each elected for two-year terms in alternate years.  Mr. Fouad Bajwa continues as one of the Vice-Chairs until 30 June 2012.  The other position becomes vacant with the election of Mr. Charles Mok (currently serving as Vice Chair until 30 June 2011) to the position of APRALO Chair. Therefore, Holly Raiche will serve as Vice Chair-elect from 20 May through 30 June 2011; her official two-year term begins on 01 July 2011.

Positions to be filled

As an integral part of ICANN's At-Large infrastructure, the membership of APRALO must hold a number of elections in 2011.  The positions up for election at present follow.

Position

Status for this election call

APRALO Chairperson
For both interim term of 19 May 2011 through 30 June 2011 and official term of 01 July 2011 through 30 June 2013

This position was held by Prof. Hong Xue until 30 March 2011.  Since then, Vice-Chairpersons Fouad Bajwa and Charles Mok have taken on the Co-Chairperson responsibilities until a new Chairperson is seated.

APRALO Vice-Chairperson
For official term:  01 July 2011 through 30 June 2013

APRALO currently has two Vice-Chairpersons, Charles Mok and Fouad Bajwa. The election will be for the Vice-Chairperson position currently held by Charles Mok.

APRALO Secretariat 
For official term:  01 July 2011 through 30 June 2013

This position is currently held by ISOC Hong Kong.

Suggested election timeline

The APRALO instruments do not contain specific provisions governing the election process. Therefore, for the elections of the three positions listed above, it is suggested that the following timeline be adopted.  The dates refer to UTC time.

6 April 2011 -- At-Large Staff will announce elections and call for nominations

6-29 April 2011 – Nomination period (nominations accepted for approximately four weeks)

6 May 2011 -- Deadline for nomination acceptances (nominees must accept nominations no later than seven days after the nomination period ends on 29 April 2011)

11-19 May 2011 -- Elections (elections begin no later than one week after the deadline for nomination acceptances and end no later than two weeks after that deadline)

19 May 2011 -- New APRALO Chairperson seated (term: 19 May 2011 through 30 June 2013)

1 July 2011 -- New APRALO Vice-Chairperson and Secretariat seated (term: 1 July 2011 through 30 June 2013)

Please note: APRALO is free to adopt a different process and/or timetable.

Election of APRALO Chairperson

Nominations for
APRALO Chairperson        

Nominated by List ALS

Seconded by
(optional)

Date nominee
accepted

Charles Mok -
ISOC-HK

ISOC-AU (by Cheryl Langdon-Orr,
(26 April 2011)

28 April 2011

Sivasubraminan Muthuswamy - 
ISOC-India Chennai

Self-nomination
(29 April 2011)

29 April 2011 (self-nominations
assumed to be accepted)

Description of position

According to paragraph 5.1 of the APRALO Operating Principles:  The Chairperson shall be selected for a period of two years and shall act as Chairperson at all APRALO Meetings and shall represent the APRALO in its dealings with outside entities.

Statments by candidates for APRALO Chairperson

The candidates were given the option of submitting 100-word statements, to be posted on this wiki page, by Wednesday, 11 May, at 13:00 UTC.  The submission of a statement was optional.

Statement submitted by Charles Mok

I offer myself to serve as the Chair of APRALO. Currently serving as APRALO's Vice-Chair, I wish to work with all ALS members to improve our inreach, outreach and policy participation with ICANN. I am also currently the Chair of Internet Society Hong Kong www.isoc.hk . Professionally I have been a partner of several Internet startups, since co-founding one of the earliest local ISPs in the 1990s. My main areas of Internet governance interests include freedom of expression, intellectual property, privacy and secuirty, digital inclusion and most of all, Internet for Everyone. My full bio: http://charlesmok-bio.blogspot.com/ .

Statement submitted by Sivasubraminan Muthuswamy

I am the owner / CEO of Isolated Network http://isolatednetwork.com , a company which is presently offering Web Design, Hosting and IT Services. I serve as the President of ISOC India Chennai http://isocindiachennai.in which is an at-Large Structure. I am part of the ICANN community and have taken part in various ICANN working groups and have served for a brief period as the ALAC IDN Liaison. I am also a member of the Internet Governance Caucus and take part in the Intertnet Governance Forum. I wish to serve as the Chair of Asia Pacific Regional At Large Orgnaization to lead APRALO to expand and become strong as a Regional At Large Organization with a greater focus on user's concerns. 

Election of APRALO Vice-Chairperson

Nominations for
APRALO Vice-Chairperson

Nominated by

Seconded by
(optional)

Date nominee
accepted

Holly Raiche - ISOC-AU

ISOC-HK (by Charles Mok, 29 April 2011)

30 April 2011

Description of position

According to paragraph 5.2 of the APRALO Operating Principles:  The Vice-Chairperson shall be selected for a period of two years from the first annual general meeting and shall assist and deputize for the Chairperson in the latter’s absence. 

Election of APRALO Secretariat

APRALO leadership may, if it wishes, appoint a Secretariat.  Traditionally, APRALO has used this election format to select is Secretariat, but that is not necessary.

Nominations for
APRALO Secretariat

Nominated by

Seconded by
(optional)

Date nominee
accepted

ISOC-HK

Self-nominated (by Edmon Chung, 29 April 2011)

30 April 2011 (by Pavan Budhrani)

Description of position

According to paragraph 5.5 of the APRALO Operating Principles:  The Secretariat shall be responsible for recording meetings and performing administration functions.

• No labels

1 Comment

1. Anonymous

Why do we let 

charles@charlesmok.hk steal email addresses from Apricot for spamming? He should be kicked out.