Terri Agnew:Welcome to the At-Large Review Working Party and ITEMS call on Wednesday, 14 December 2016 at 21:00 UTC

Terri Agnew:agenda wiki page: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_hKHDAw&d=DgIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpCIgmkXhFzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=Y4DJ5RaUAmXcMzyS7d8XTe0DaVlk1hro67dUtjI-6jk&s=wtk1EMuRFtWn0fuvaYVgyoaG1C6hQSUuol5kkeAWBT8&e=

Holly Raiche:Hi Terri - I won't need a dial out - I'm in Sydney having coffee - but trying out my earphones.  Hopefully all will go well.  Tks

Terri Agnew:thanks for verifying Holly!

McTim:hi all

Holly Raiche:Terri - can you hear me?

Terri Agnew:@Holly, no and your mic is not active

Holly Raiche:Terri - can you hear me now - I've activated my mic

Terri Agnew:I see mic is active but not hearing you

Alberto Soto:Hello all!

Holly Raiche:Cheryl - while the call me on my mobile- could you start - Tks

Holly Raiche:olks - We first need to ask whether this is open for observers

Nick Thorne:Evening everyone. I too would like some of Cheryl's bread

Terri Agnew:@Holly, I sent you a private AC chat

Rosa Delgado:hello

McTim:I'm happy

John Laprise:As #23 on the At Large Review WP I defer to and will abide  by established process and procedure. :)

Heidi Ullrich:There are both Representatives and Participants on the WP.

Holly Raiche:CLO - doing well.  For some reason my mobile goes to voice mail so I will have to dial in from here

Alan Greenberg:Again, our long history is that non-members *may* be given speaking rights at the discretion of the chair (and giving precedence to members)

Heidi Ullrich:Representatives are seen as Members of the WP.

Terri Agnew:Welcome Leon Sanchez

avri doria (observer):as an observer in this group, though an AL member, I will happily abide by whatever rules the group has established, and am happy not to speak if that is they way.

Terri Agnew:Holly has joined on audio

McTim:Have you all see our FAQ?

Alan Greenberg:That is not correct.

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond:Individual voting rights directly into the ALAC processes? How does this differ from the 2003 debacle with fake identities?

McTim:olivier, have you read the doc or our FAQ?

Glenn McKnight:@Tom  are you suggesting  the Unaffiliated the same voting rights as  a ALS?

McTim:they are not alike in any manner

McTim:we kept 2000 in mind when developing the model

Glenn McKnight:Remember a  ALS  represents an organization which could be many members

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond:I have not managed to finish reading the report yet

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond:I am 50% through it

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Glenn that is how I read it...

Glenn McKnight:I was amazed that no questions on the Working Groups and a recommendation was to get rid of them

Glenn McKnight:Secondly the  section on our  use of Social Media is dead wrong.  Again no awareness of our Social Media WG and use of social media

John Laprise:I disagree. I think the report is dead-on.

John Laprise:across the board

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):have you distributed that to us yet Lars I have not seen it?

Alberto Soto:Ok, I'll read

Alan Greenberg:We have not presumed that a group of people PARTICIPATE as a group. They JOIN as a group, but participate as individuals.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):indeed Alan

Alan Greenberg:Of course, nothing precludes such group work.

Alan Greenberg:Nor have I

Alan Greenberg:It was sent to Lars apparently.

Glenn McKnight:people speaking at same time

Lars Hoffmann:It was posted to the list yesterday at 11:01 MT

John Laprise:Nick is faint

Glenn McKnight:Nick your  voice is low

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):very sorry to have not read the. FAQ

Nick Thorne:This is indeed covered n the FAQ

Leon Sanchez:I haven't seen the FAQ either

Lars Hoffmann:The FAQ - named 'addendum' - was sent to the list yesterday at 11:01 MT (18:01 UTC) i will re-post it again right now.

John Laprise:Sidenote: The favoring of groups with status presupposes that freedom of association is evenly distributed which is not the case globally. ALS are illegal in some jurisdictions.

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond:The question of Voting Rights is very important. It is because of a scrw-up in voting rights in 2002 that At-Large has fallen so far down the scale of trust. It is thanks to the ALAC-RALO-ALS struture that there has been no ability to for external capture. Re-integrating individual voting rights opens the door to a challenge in defining the electorate. I have read the FAQ document which addresses this, and in my opinion this is unworkable with hundreds of voters

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond:plus in 3 months you could capture At-Large -- you just need to get a group of individuals to participate intensely for a fe wonths before an election and then you take over the vote.

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond:Key FAQ: 5) What voting rights will ALMs have in RALO / ALAC elections?ALMs that have participated in one or more ICANN WG groups for at least three months will beeligible to vote in RALO / ALAC elections and the elections for the At-Large elected member ofthe ICANN Board of Directors. In addition, ALMs who regularly participate in RALO conferencecalls will also be eligible to vote in elections.

Aída Noblia:Hi all

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):having now read the FSW  thanks

Terri Agnew:Aida Noblia has joined on audio

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond:Tom -- I am QUOTNG the key part of the FAQ

Maureen Hilyard:We have a growing number of end-user participation from China..

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond:Again: 5) What voting rights will ALMs have in RALO / ALAC elections?ALMs that have participated in one or more ICANN WG groups for at least three months will beeligible to vote in RALO / ALAC elections and the elections for the At-Large elected member ofthe ICANN Board of Directors. In addition, ALMs who regularly participate in RALO conferencecalls will also be eligible to vote in elections.

Glenn McKnight:Voting rights for  Unaffiliated is interesting,  Tom menitions  that would be active in a working group, But the recommendation is to get rid of working roups

Glenn McKnight:groups

Maureen Hilyard:At the moment China has one vote..because their government only allows one ALS.. at the moment. If we allowed individual voting rights especially with their growing interest , then elections would be interesting

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):interesting indeed

John Laprise:+1 Alan

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):yup

Nick Thorne:Alan yes. We are in listening mode. As I said ewe will note and consider points raised here, but best to enter i Google doc

Alan Greenberg:Curious about jurisdiction that don't ALLOW an ALS but would encourage individual participation.

John Laprise:They might allow an ALS but would be less able, perhaps, to police individual participation.

Leon Sanchez:Agree with you OCL

John Laprise:*disallow an als

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond::-)

Glenn McKnight:I have menitioned this  three times in the chat

John Laprise:Credentialing/awarding voting rights not solely a participation issue but essentially a "good faith participant" issue. Demonstrating that is the key. Participation is but one element.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):agree Alan we need to address those matters

Glenn McKnight:good  points   Alan

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond:basing a vote on participation irrespective on one's real identity is dangerous. We have had plenty of dubious characters trying to participate in the past - who remembers Jeff WIlliams?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):shudder

Alan Greenberg:Given how few individual ALAC members AND ALS representatives actaully participate in WG, what is the rationale for beleiving that in the new model, they will start flocking into our WGs.

Alan Greenberg:And for that matter, how few ALAC members and RALO leaders who participate

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond:re: travel may we notify ITEMS individually directly?

Alan Greenberg:Cheryl, if you have gone on to better things in ICANN, clearly we carry the blame and your travel will be attributed to us.

McTim:Table 7 is taken from At Large website directly

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):lol

McTim:it is not travel related, so not coming from ICANN stafff, I had a different table in mind

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):yup no deeds good or bad go unpunished

Glenn McKnight:But the damage to our reputation  is serious and  someone should be held accountable

Sebastien:Be even it must have been ask to each person concern

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):sure is Glenn but it is what it is

John Laprise:1.5

Terri Agnew:scheduled for 90 minute duration

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):good point Tom re ability to also make pvt input

Ariel Liang:@HOlly - noted

Alberto Soto:I did not receive the invitation

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):ITEMS is able to take such comments directly

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):correct Alan

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):the attention it got was astonishing of course Alan

Alan Greenberg:Yes indeed. And not unrelated to the language and tone of the report.

Leon Sanchez:indeed

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):very complex indeed!!!

Heidi Ullrich:+1 Holly!Thanks to the entire group who developed the new site.

Heidi Ullrich:Also, please note that this site had planned stages for full implementation

Heidi Ullrich:and we are still implementing those changes

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond:If you are feeling nostalgic about the Web site: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__web.archive.org_web_20120217004532_http-3A__www.atlarge.icann.org_&d=DgIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpCIgmkXhFzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=Y4DJ5RaUAmXcMzyS7d8XTe0DaVlk1hro67dUtjI-6jk&s=GOSPuhkb2TuTpPe1la_i9YHgeWT-jL3QWkwt9Ti4Zj0&e=

John Laprise:I am not nostalgic but I am unsatisfied,

John Laprise:website -wise

John Laprise:Give me access, I'll comment.

Maureen Hilyard:I've just got to finish reading it :(

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond:some of us have returned from travel and are only just starting our comments

Leon Sanchez:I'm in the same case, need permission to access

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond:I did not have to ask for access. My access work

Alberto Soto:sotobeto@gmail.com

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond:access with any kind of address

John Laprise:jlaprise@gmail.com

Alan Greenberg:Point I was making is that a person may CHOOSE to use their Gmail address which is not intuitively recognizable.

Alan Greenberg:6 of Jan or whenever ITEMS submits the next version.

Leon Sanchez:I need to leave now. Apologies for leaving early

Leon Sanchez:thanks everyone

Leon Sanchez:bye

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):bye

Heidi Ullrich:Thanks, All, Thanks for joining!

Alberto Soto:Thanks!! Bye!!

Alberto Soto:CLO, IANA transition...... in de middle

Larisa Gurnick:Thank you all very much for your participation and input.

Heidi Ullrich:Thanks All!

Lars Hoffmann:thank you everyone.

Aída Noblia:Muchas Gracias. Saludos a todos

Tom Mackenzie:Thanks all

Tom Mackenzie:bye

avri doria (observer):bye

McTim:bye

Ariel Liang:thank you all!

Aída Noblia:Bye all

Silvia Vivanco:Thank you all bye!

• No labels