Attendees: 

Members: Avri Doria; Elise Lindeberg; Donna Austin; Fatima Cambronero; Graeme Bunton; Greg Shatan; Jaap Akkerhuis; Lise Fuhr; Robert Guerra; Seun Ojedeji; Staffan Jonson; Olivier Crepin-Leblond

Participants: Alan Greenberg; Allan MacGillivray; Bertrand de La Chapelle; Brenden Kuerbis; Carolina Aguerre; Cheryl Langdon-Orr; Manal Ismail; Chuck Gomes; Desiree Miloshevic; Amr Elsadr; Gary Hunt; Keith Davidson; Lars-Erik Forsberg; Maarten Simon; Malcolm Hutty; Mark Carvell; Martin Boyle; Matthew Shears; Milton Mueller; Sivasubramanian Muthusamy;  Tomohiro Fujisaki; Wale Bakare; Wolf-Ulrich Knoben; Jinkang Yao; Mary Uduma; Yasuichi Kitamura

Staff: Grace Abuhamad; Bart Boswinkel; Bernard Turcotte; Berry Cobb; Marika Konings

Apologies: Eduardo Diaz, Jonathan Robinson

**Please let Grace know if your name has been left off the list (attendees or apologies).**

Proposed Agenda: 

1. Welcome & Roll Call

2. Status Updates

3. Presentation and Review of Work Plan (between now and 11 January)

Announce "reading and review week" from 22 Dec-29 Dec

4. Understand the principle of separability

5. Due consideration of alternative proposal (not to exclude other proposals)

6. Review of Action Items

7. AOB

Notes and Action Items

Status Updates

Only updates from sub-group 3, 4 and 5 during today's meeting

Action item: Everyone encouraged to provide input to the latest version of the MRT structural analysis (see https://docs.google.com/document/d/1POnrfwYbviniyUC_vr4pGRZ-RiKkAMJ50ovXWv7M2yk/edit?usp=sharing - Please use the "Suggest" mode, rather than the "Edit" mode, so that your changes show up in "track changes" style, along with a marginal comment box) 

Presentation and Review of Work Plan (between now and 11 January)

Understand the principle of separability

Due consideration of alternative proposal (not to exclude other proposals)

Action item: Send out GAC letter concerning principles (Lise)

Action item: Review comments received during public comment forum

Action item: Provide input to public comment forum by 22 December

Action item:Participate in the next meeting of the CWG on 30 December at 14.00 UTC

Transcript

The transcript is available here: Meeting11_18Dec.doc

Recording

The Adobe Connect recording is available here: https://icann.adobeconnect.com/p36wfdq5xcf/

The audio recording is available here:  https://icann.box.com/shared/static/lfevyzr7q8wdm6wxjz1q.mp3

Documents Presented

CWG-Stewardship_ProjectPlan_20141217.pdf

Organisational Doc Proposal 3.png

Organisational Doc Proposal 4.png

Call Schedule.pdf

Chat Transcript

Marika Konings:Welcome to the IANA Stewardship Transition CWG Meeting of 18 December 2014

Robert Guerra:good day all

Staffan:Hello all

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Hi all

Milton:Greetings

Lise Fuhr:Hello and greetings

Keith ccNSO:Hi all

Sivasubramanian M:hello

Seun Ojedeji:Hi all

Martin Boyle, Nominet, ICG:Hi all

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Hi Avri, Alan Avr et.al.

Wolf-Ulrich Knoben:Good afternoon!

Bernard Turcotte - staff support:hello

Fatima Cambronero:hello everyone

Bertrand de La Chapelle:hello everyone

matthew shears:hello

Elise Lindeberg GAC:Martin - I will forward the formal letter from the GAC on the principles

Milton:Can you provide the link to the document?

Milton:again....

Martin Boyle, Nominet, ICG:Thanks Elie:  will you be sending it to the list?

Martin Boyle, Nominet, ICG:Sorry:  Elise

Marika Konings:I believe the link is https://docs.google.com/document/d/1POnrfwYbviniyUC_vr4pGRZ-RiKkAMJ50ovXWv7M2yk/edit?usp=sharing

Elise Lindeberg GAC:Martin - It posted to Lise and Jonathan and to the CWG today

Robert Guerra:lost audio back in a moment

Marika Konings:Please mute your lines and mics when not speaking - you can also do this in Adobe Connect by right clicking your mic and select mute.

Wale Bakare:Hi everyone, afternoon/morning

Robert Guerra:back and audio ok

Lise Fuhr:@Robert you are after Cheryl

Robert Guerra:ok

Alan Greenberg:Robert VERY quiet.

Milton:speak up louder, Robert~!

Keith ccNSO:Cant hear

Milton:yes

Keith ccNSO:not much

Sivasubramanian M:yes

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Primary Landing page for RFP-5 is  here (https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=49359381)  and notes our mandate is to focus on =>  V. NTIA RequirementsAdditionally, NTIA has established that the transition proposal must meet the following five requirements:Support and enhance the multistakeholder model;Maintain the security, stability, and resiliency of the Internet DNS;Meet the needs and expectation of the global customers and partners of the IANA functions;Maintain the openness of the Internet;The proposal must not replace the NTIA role with a government-led or an inter-governmental organization solution.This section should explain how your community’s proposal meets these requirements and how it responds to the global interest in the IANA functions.Note: CWG-RFP3 and 4 should have considered this in their work and this should only be a final sanity check to produce the text confirming this requirement once 3 and 4 are completed.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:ALSO  the drafting for text / contribution  wiuki page is  here (https://community.icann.org/display/gnsocwgdtstwrdshp/CWG-RFP5+-+Draft)   ALL are welcome to contribute  directly  here an / or  to join the RFP-5 group at our future calls... next call is 2130 UTC  Dec 30th...

matthew shears:apologies but what is CWG IANA2 on Sat 10 Jan?

Grace Abuhamad:the intensive work weekend

Grace Abuhamad:there are two calls per day so I was trying to differentiate them

matthew shears:ok thanks!

Grace Abuhamad:sorry for the confusion

Milton:Yes

Milton:surprise, surprise!

Milton:many groups preparing comments need to get them approved by their groups, which taks time

Seun Ojedeji:Ws the comment from GAC shared on the list?

Grace Abuhamad:It will be

Alan Greenberg:Thanks for the reminder. I have been occupied on a personal matter but will get it sent out either today or tomorrow.

Seun Ojedeji:Okay but I will appeciate that letters/comments don't get delayed from being sent to the CWG in future. Thanks

matthew shears:I fully support the inclusion of separability in the principles and proposal

Seun Ojedeji:I think we should define seperability before determnining whether that word should be included.

Elise Lindeberg GAC:I would think THE ABILITY to separate is crutial for the GAC

Amr Elsadr:@Matt: +1.

Seun Ojedeji:I support seperability principle if its not solely based on moving IANA out of ICANN

Wolf-Ulrich Knoben:I agree to Bertrand

Bertrand de La Chapelle:Elise, this is what I mean. identifying the conditions that would trigger this "nuclear option" is different from building the system around this.

Amr Elsadr:I think any proposal that doesn't involve seprability as a principle is a dooms-day scenario. :)

Bernard Turcotte - staff support:yes

Seun Ojedeji:very much milton ;)

Elise Lindeberg GAC:Bertrand - I agree with Malcom - ability to separate is fundamenatal for the draft proposal

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:+1 Bertrand

matthew shears:I do not see that we are building this around separability - it is an option for the MRT not a foregone conclusion - by putting it in the principles and proposal we are merely ensuring that it is not precluded.  I don't see why this is such an issue

Martin Boyle, Nominet, ICG:Surely Bertrand and Malcolm are ot at odds at the level of principle.  How you do it is operational

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:I do not think that anyone advocates completely doing away with separability.

Seun Ojedeji:+1 to Alan

Milton:We need to get into that world, Alan

Milton:Olivier: that is good to know

Avri Doria:so ALAC is not objecting to the principle it is objecting to the soltution.  one does not object to a principle as a manner of arguing about the solution.

Martin Boyle, Nominet, ICG:Avri +1

Milton:Cmplexity of the accountability changes will be far more extensive if we don't have a contractual relationship

matthew shears:+ 1 Milton

Greg Shatan (GNSO/CSG/IPC):I would not classify the current proposal as "arcane" ("understood by few; mysterious or secret"),

Amr Elsadr:I don't understand the complexity in seprability. This principle has always existed. Why is it suddenly complex?

Milton:Greg: Yes, as a rhetorical move that is getting really old.  

Alan Greenberg:@Avri, you are correct in theory. But when the principle is implicitly linked in many people mind and (pun intended) cannot be separated from each other, objecting to the core principle is easier. If the invisible words "there must be a contract" were not there inthe principle, this would be different.

Greg Shatan (GNSO/CSG/IPC):"Complex" and "arcane" are words being used instead of rational argument.

Milton:Especially when the complex changes in accountability structures are as yet unspecified

Amr Elsadr:@Greg: +1

Brenden Kuerbis:Another fault - hanging all repsonsibility on CCWG-Accountability for a solution would be a major mistake, as the Board has stated it will have the final say on any reforms proposed.

Avri Doria:we are arguing about the solutions, not the principle.

Wolf-Ulrich Knoben:I also see this "principle" as an important possibility to pull the emergency brake just in case. This is part of the existing contract

matthew shears:surely at the end of the day we would not want to the MRT to be hamstrung by not having the separability option

Seun Ojedeji:@Amr i think the principle has just become complex because we building a proposal around seperability

Elise Lindeberg GAC:+1 Wolf-Ulrich

Greg Shatan (GNSO/CSG/IPC):@Avri, I agree.  The solution to separability in the current proposal is clear.  I have not seen another clear solution proposed.

Avri Doria:but in this discussion we are supposed to be focusing on the principle itself.

Chuck Gomes (RySG):I agree with Brenden.

Milton:Agree with Bertrand that the key is the criteria for separability

Seun Ojedeji:I agree with Brenden

Greg Shatan (GNSO/CSG/IPC):Agree with @Brenden and @Chuck.  Also, responsibility for IANA accountability rests with this group, not the CCWG.

Seun Ojedeji:*Bertrand*

Alan Greenberg:If it was not taken as a given that a contract is the ONLLY way to achieve it, that agreement would be far easier. Companies divest themselves of divisions, both voluntarily and by order all the time. No contract, but serparability.

Milton:But Bertrand, why is it so important to ensure that ICANN is the presumed provider?

Amr Elsadr:Also agree with Brenden. I can't think of a rationale reason why we should submit a proposal here based on the belief that the board will approve all accoutability recommendations made by the CCWG. Furthermore, I can't think of a stronger accountability mechanism the CCWG can propose that is stronger than seprability of IANA.

Yasuichi Kitamura (At Large):sorry for my delay

Martin Boyle, Nominet, ICG:The principles do not mention how separability might be achieved

Seun Ojedeji:The unfortunate thing is that we have not made attempt to focus on how to ensure acountability internally instead of expending our resources on upholding seperability

Alan Greenberg:I strongly support what Bertrand is saying.

Milton:Seun: that is the job of CCWG-Accountbiliy

Wolf-Ulrich Knoben:@Martin: and that's good so. this is an operational issue

Brenden Kuerbis:Alan I believe several has stated on list about the need to further detail the conditions and process by which the MRT would consider separability.

Staffan:Agree: there isn't really disagreement on the principle per se? Implementation is may the conflict, so lets move on to that...

Desiree Miloshevic:I would approve that statement too

Milton:so an alternative method of separability must be proposed.

Milton:I frankly don't think you get separability without a contract, or at minimum an MoU

Greg Shatan (GNSO/CSG/IPC):Trouble with mute

Bertrand de La Chapelle:milton, I do not want to ensure it, I start from the assumption that this organization was created for that purpose and that the goal is make sure that it continues to do it with the proper guarantees on an ONGOING basis

Greg Shatan (GNSO/CSG/IPC):fixed

Seun Ojedeji:@Milton i think that is the problem as we attempt to differentiate accountability from our task; this CWG  is all about accountability just that its in relation to IANA so we it will be within scope to identify that requirements/factors that will reflect our principles. Just that we are only looking externally and not looking internally

matthew shears:We should leave it to the MRT when constituted to decide as to how and when seaparbility should be used - but it should be there as an option.

Alan Greenberg:Why are we now debating the implementation????

Wolf-Ulrich Knoben:+1 Matthew; and to my understanding this doesn't presume a contract

Martin Boyle, Nominet, ICG:@Matthew:  I'd rather MRT have quite clear instructions on when they can use power

Alan Greenberg:After closing the queue?

Bertrand de La Chapelle:matthew, I think it should not be entirely left to an MRT to define the criteria. some of it shoulld at least be prefigured to a significant extent by this group. +1 with Martin

matthew shears:yes agree with some criteria

Seun Ojedeji:no problem i will write it here

Bertrand de La Chapelle:@matthew: this is a point of potential consensus: defining some criteria beforehand. could this be checked witht he group?

Milton:+1 to Mrtin's comment, too

Greg Shatan (GNSO/CSG/IPC):@Alan -- because any proposal that is made has to be implementable.

Martin Boyle, Nominet, ICG:very clear criteria, Matthew.  No one should be able to write their rules for pressing the nuclear button

Bertrand de La Chapelle:+1 Martin

matthew shears:@ Martin - agree

Brenden Kuerbis:Agree with Martin's comment too, need clear "rules"

Seun Ojedeji:Just to mention that its not appropriate for Greg to say we have not proposed a way....ALAC has proposed elements that needs to be looked into to achieve our goal so its not appropriate to rule out the proposal...we should discuss it together and find a solution. We don't have any solution right now...not even the current CWG proposal

Milton:Alan, what is the separability mechanism in your alt proposal?

Greg Shatan (GNSO/CSG/IPC):@Seun -- What's the way?  You have proposed that we can go to the opposite shore, without telling us how we will get there.

matthew shears:We all want the CCWG accountability to do something effective - that does not preclude independent oversight of the IANA and the thrust of the current IANA proposal

Graeme Bunton - RrSG:Agreed Matthew

Greg Shatan (GNSO/CSG/IPC):@Alan, but what's the trigger?

Alan Greenberg:@avri. That is NOT what is being proposed. We are talking about mandatory acct.

Mark Carvell - GAC (UK Govt):Divesting an activity from a multi-constituency, bottom-up, global entity seesm very challenging in process and constitutional terms - and likely to be very protracted.

Seun Ojedeji:@Greg i really don't understand it when you say we have not said how. What i will agree is that we have not fleshed out details (lots of content like the CWG proposal)

Greg Shatan (GNSO/CSG/IPC):The trigger and mechanism that causes the divestiture.

Alan Greenberg:Membership is one such trigger.

Milton:Carvell: +1

Avri Doria:But the Board has complete control of the by-laws and can unchange any change.

Elise Lindeberg GAC:Avri -  I agree that counting on bylaws and internal ICANN procedures is not enought

Bertrand de La Chapelle:Mark, when you say "multi-constituency, bottom-up, global entity", are you talking about the MRT?

Seun Ojedeji:Sorry about that thanks

Avri Doria:ICANN legal has been superbly talented at creating an unassialble board.

Seun Ojedeji:NO MRT with a different role

Chuck Gomes (RySG):+1 Avri

Seun Ojedeji:infact i think we will rename our MRT to something else

Martin Boyle, Nominet, ICG:I disagree that bylaws cannot be made to work:  the Board should not have any right to change certain bylaws

Seun Ojedeji:+1 to Martin

Milton:Martin Boyle: are you familiar with California Nonprofit public benefit law?

Amr Elsadr:@Martin: Currently, the board can change any by-laws with a 2/3 of the board vote. I somehow doubt the board would vote to change the by-laws to limit their ability to change them again.

maarten Simon, SIDN:we should have legal advise if the bylaw solution is possible. makes no sense to discuss it as long that's not clear.

Martin Boyle, Nominet, ICG:So jurisdiction is the problem?

Martin Boyle, Nominet, ICG:In this case, ICANN would never be accountable - for IANA or for anything else...?

Milton:oh boy, a new supporting organization

maarten Simon, SIDN:@amr not the whole of the bylaws only the specific IANA ones that we add

Greg Shatan (GNSO/CSG/IPC):So, to reduce complexity, you are replacing one organization (Contract Co.) with 2 organizations?

Milton:Martin, if you keep certain things internal to the corporation, you are limited by Cal. law. If it is external, you are not

Avri Doria:how is an MOU differnet from a contract in this context?

Seun Ojedeji:Milton hang-on i should note that we are reviewing this structure...some of those structures we are also thinking will not be necessary

Elise Lindeberg GAC:Martin - breach of bylaws  - how do you enforce consequences with the  current ICANN board struckture ?

Milton:so much for the complexity argument, I get dizzy just looking at this

Amr Elsadr:Is a new SO with by-laws changes, board representation, NomCom membership, travel support and other funding count as a less complex solution?

Greg Shatan (GNSO/CSG/IPC):Ah, now we have to organize the I* organizations.  No small task....

Mark Carvell - GAC (UK Govt):@Bertand; the a;lternative to the Contractco within the envisaged ICANN structure envisaged by ALAC: which I consider has strengths and merits  by the way!

Alan Greenberg:The CORE issue is looking for a proposal that can work and that does not nead the external contracting entity. The rest is flexible.

Greg Shatan (GNSO/CSG/IPC):@Alan, that I agree with.

Amr Elsadr:@Alan: + less complex than the contracting co. model too, right?

Milton:Amr, yes a new SO funded by ICANN will be "less costly" <cough>

Sivasubramanian M:Though it looks complicated, the ALAC WIP addresses some of the complications in the existing proposal and some gaps as well

Avri Doria:and the BNRO is not the RIRs, for that they have CRISP

Avri Doria:nor BNRO but NRO

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:The Stakeholder Groups will be able to decide on the IANA Supporting Organisation. They have direct appointment capability.

Avri Doria:so instead of seperating the contract out, we seperate the SO out.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:@Alan: I hope I did NOT say we were going to take the GNSO nor ccNSO out.

Avri Doria:and as far as can tell an Mou is a Contract by another name.

Milton:If the names SO were really separated out from ICANN, and ICANN was ONLY IANA, this would be a very different conversation

Avri Doria:but going to place the IANA SO on the outside?

Avri Doria:the complexity of this solution is delicious.

Greg Shatan (GNSO/CSG/IPC):@Avri, true -- at least an MoU that is binding on the parties.

Brenden Kuerbis:And if you have clearity around who are the parties

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:A 2-tier SO/ Partly in, partly out. The inside part is directly connected to the GNSO & ccNSO and gives them the ability to feed into the external one

Alan Greenberg:@Avri, we were using thew "SO" in ISO in the way ICANN does today. Internal. The NRO is external and we mirrored that in the IRO.

Bertrand de La Chapelle:aren't we confusing the SOs and the stakeholder groups? The gNSO is the poicy body. What I think ALAC is exploring is leveraging the stakeholder groups to form some structure for the iANA aspect. But maybe I misunderstood.

Milton:Olivier: highly simplified, ;-)

Avri Doria:Olivier, but there is an mou between them and ICANN?

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:when I mean GNSO, I mean GNSO Stakeholder groups of course

matthew shears:in this model to whom is the IANA functions oeprator accountable?

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:the link between ICANN & IANA Resource org would be the same as the one between ICANN & ASO NRO

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:the damoclès sword is to cut the link between ISO & IRO - the nuclear scenario

Bertrand de La Chapelle:Also, when Seun says "internal to ICANN", we need to distinguish between ICANN the corporation and ICANN the community.

Amr Elsadr:This seems like an awful lot of work just to keep IANA internal to ICANN, with a possiblity of future divestiture and creation of a contracting co. anyway!!

maarten Simon, SIDN:@avri: I guess the mou will be bylaw based, so it will be internal

Greg Shatan (GNSO/CSG/IPC):I think this proves that any proposal to solve these issues is going to be at least as complex as teh current proposal.

matthew shears:+ 1 Amr

Greg Shatan (GNSO/CSG/IPC):@Maarten, then it is not an MoU, except in name

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:awful lot of work? Create ISO. Create IRO. Done.

maarten Simon, SIDN:@greg: fullly agree but it still has a legal effect

Greg Shatan (GNSO/CSG/IPC):I wish there was an "elegant" solution that avoided the complexities of all of the current proposals.  But we haven't found it.

Greg Shatan (GNSO/CSG/IPC):@Olivier -- then same with Contract Co.

Greg Shatan (GNSO/CSG/IPC):@Maarten, I don't understand what bylaw-based MoU is.

Greg Shatan (GNSO/CSG/IPC):Or how it would have a "legal effect."

Milton:Maarten, if our only professional lawyer doesn't understand what a bylaw-based MoU is (and I don't either) your idea is in trouble

Bertrand de La Chapelle:the beginniing of the chat seems to have disappeared on my side, is that normal ?

Sivasubramanian M:without contractCo. Or a ContractCo without. the Co in it

Avri Doria:doing and RFP4 test on it is a good idea.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:@Greg: the problem is that creating a Contract Co. means we need to create a new accountability framework - but creating ISO & IRO would can make use of the ICANN accountability process as a starting point

Marika Konings:@Bertrand - not sure why it has disappeared (same here), but we have captured it and will circulate it after the meeting.

Milton:Olivier: only AFTER the CCWG-Accountability completely changes the ICANN accountability framework i n ways we can'[t predict

Bertrand de La Chapelle:thanks Marika

Greg Shatan (GNSO/CSG/IPC):I think the chat has a capacity limit.  And we broke it.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:@Milton: we just cannot admit failure on the Accountability Track. We need to make this the focus and make sure the Accountability group delivers and is implemented

Elise Lindeberg GAC:Maarten  - aren`t we talking about a discipline effect at the most ...not legal

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:I am a firm supporter of a very strong accountability track.

Mark Carvell - GAC (UK Govt):Yes, support the RFP4 as next step for this.

Greg Shatan (GNSO/CSG/IPC):IANA accountability is our track.

Amr Elsadr:@Olivier: How about create Contracting co, and done. ;-)

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:@Amr: create contract co. and then answer all the questions when it gets sued?

Seun Ojedeji:+1 to Olivier @Milton our task in this cwg is all on accountability (IANA names related) so if we still think cwg on accountability will be slow then we should   face our own part s

Seun Ojedeji:lost audio

Grace Abuhamad:ok dialing out to you again Seun

Robert Guerra:can we also see what some of the public comments say

Chuck Gomes (RySG):@ Milton - I don't think it is fair to suggest that the ALAC has hijacted our work.  If we expect to get broad community support  for  a final solution, we need to thoroughly  investigate all  options.

Milton:So Chuck, can I come up with an alternaative proposal too?

Staffan:We should be able to discuss also other proposals

matthew shears:this shold be considered along with other prpoals - no doubt there wil be some - once the consultation period is over.

Avri Doria:as i say i am fully sketical of this alternate, but ALAC is a bit more than 5 people.  It is an AC.

Chuck Gomes (RySG):Sure Milton as long as it is constructive.

Alan Greenberg:@Lise. Yes - External contracting entity is the core of the difference.

Robert Guerra:let's also try to do a test of how lightweight different proposals are

Milton:Avri, if NCSG comes up with its own proposal...?

Martin Boyle, Nominet, ICG:I agree:  we should not be shutting off discussion

Robert Guerra:and financial / cost implications

Avri Doria:Milton, we have on occasion done just that.

Milton:Martin, no one is proposing to shut off discussion

Martin Boyle, Nominet, ICG:That way we won't have any way of getting to a consensus

Seun Ojedeji:audio back

Martin Boyle, Nominet, ICG:Sorry, misunderstood you comment, Milton

Chuck Gomes (RySG):That is fine Milton. The RySG will probably be proposing a variation of the CWG proposal.  I think it will be more of a refinement than a new proposal though.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Good point OCL re the CO  comment status...

Greg Shatan (GNSO/CSG/IPC):I have no problem giving the ALAC proposal due consideration.

Milton:I am all for consensus, and I am all for discussing options and variations. I just think we need to focus on proposals that can actually get consensus

Robert Guerra:if ALAC proposal wants to go down via rfp4 analysis, please try and use 3 workstreams mentioned in Tuesday's call

Milton:Chuck: refinements are what we need now, not completely new proposals

Milton:We might find that public comments suggest new weaknesses or problems in our main proposal that need to  be addressed

Seun Ojedeji:please note that if ALAC proposal wants to be reviewed i will suggest its based on this: https://community.icann.org/download/attachments/50823522/ALAC-Comment-v13-clean.docx?version=1&modificationDate=1418708486000&api=v2

matthew shears:+ 1 robert we have worked on a main proposal and we chould consider this laternative along with others when submittred

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Surely @Milton the existence of the ALAC proosal indicate  that ALAC as a CO might very well *not* join in consensus with the Contract Co based aproach ?

Amr Elsadr:@Seun: I don't think that the alternative proposal is a refinement of the standing proposal. As Malcolm said at the beginning of the call, the CWG's current proposal is based on teh seprability principle. What we're looking at is a new proposal based on a principle that is conflicting with the current one.

Avri Doria:i see this as an act of due dilligence.

Milton:I like that expression: "an old hand" ;-)

Brenden Kuerbis:Agree with Amr

Milton:I am an old hand at ICANN

Greg Shatan (GNSO/CSG/IPC):+1 @Avri

Greg Shatan (GNSO/CSG/IPC):I would say that the current proposal has an implementable solution to the separability principle, while the ALAC proposal does not (at least not yet).

Chuck Gomes (RySG):The public comments will tell us how much consensus we have on the CWG proposal.

Milton:Cheryl: definitely. If this exercise helps bring ALAC into the consensus I would support it.

Robert Guerra:hopeful thT comments will be comprehensive as it will help guide us

Avri Doria:Amr, I think the the ALAC alternate does have to show how it fufills the sperabilty principle.

Chuck Gomes (RySG):Very useful meeting Lise.  Thanks.

Bernard Turcotte - staff support:bye

Seun Ojedeji:thanks

Graeme Bunton - RrSG:Thanks all

Avri Doria:thanks. until the next call.

Seun Ojedeji:bye bye

matthew shears:thanks!

Bart Boswinkel:Bye all

Martin Boyle, Nominet, ICG:thanks Lise, all

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Night Lis  Bye

Sivasubramanian M:bye

Martin Boyle, Nominet, ICG:Bye

Allan MacGillivray:Very, very good discussion

jaap akkerhuis SSAC:bye bye

Amr Elsadr:Thanks all. Bye. God jul.

Fatima Cambronero:thanks all, bye

Staffan:thank You Lise, Bye

Lise Fuhr:Bye

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Bye all

Greg Shatan (GNSO/CSG/IPC):Good bye all.

Mary Uduma:THANK YOU AND BYE

Wolf-Ulrich Knoben:bye all

Keith ccNSO:Thanks and bye