MICHELLE DESMYTER: I’d like to welcome everyone. Good morning, good afternoon, good evening to all. Welcome to the ALAC subcommittee on outreach and engagement call on Wednesday the 31st of July 2019.

On today’s call, we do have Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Olivier Crépin-Leblond, Tijani Ben Jemaa, Maritza Aguero, Remmy Nweke, Nkem Nweke, Adam   Peake, Bartlett Morgan, Daniel Nanghaka, Deborah Escalera, Dev   Anand Teelucksingh, Ejikeme Egbougu, Gary Campbell, Glenn   McKnight, Harold Arcos, Haroun Mahamat Cherif, Isaac Maposa, Joan Kerr, [Jahagir Hossain,] John Laprise, Judith Hellerstein, Matthias   Hudobnik, Sarah Kiden, Maureen Hilyard, Shreedeep   Rayamajhi.

Apologies are noted from Lianna Galstyan, Ricardo Holmquist, Yrjö   Lansipuro, Fatimata Seye-Sylla, Lilian Ivette De Luque.

From staff, we have Heidi Ullrich, Gisella Gruber, Evin Erdogdu, Claudia   Ruiz, and myself, Michelle DeSmyter on call management.

As a reminder, please state your name before speaking for transcription purposes and please keep your phones and microphones on mute when not speaking. I will now turn the meeting over to Daniel. Please begin.

 

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Thank you very much, Michelle. Can I have a question to kindly put up the agenda on the screen so that the participants can be able to look at how our agenda looks like?

Meanwhile, I’d like to welcome everyone to the first meeting of the FY, and I'm happy to share that we've had at least tremendous work that has been happening regarding outreach and engagement over the last FY.

Just to keep ourselves abreast of what transpired, which [inaudible] ICANN 65, whereby a lot of changes took place right from the booth location. And I’d call it to like a kind of pilot, what will transpire in case we are to share the [booth] together with staff.

What has happened was there was a lot of engagement at the booth because of its strategic location. Also, briefly, Fatimata also sent in her apologies. She's not on the call. She was meant to give an update of what transpired in Marrakech. But a brief of what transpired is that during ICANN 65, we had 30 students from Rabat who came in for two days and also the activities at the booth.

There was also the distribution of hot topics both in English and Arabic, and then also there was a signing of the MoU between AFRALO and AFTLD, and then also there was a presentation of the AFRALO outreach and engagement strategic plans for FY20 at the regional leaders session. Also, there are other interviews that took place between the leadership and Gisella. I think that was what transpired during ICANN 65.

I think the outreach was really interesting. At this point, I’d like us to simply give ourselves – for those who are in Marrakech – a quick assessment of what went right and what went wrong. In case anyone has an input on any addition on what transpired in Marrakech, please, the floor is open to give your feedback, because it’s a learning experience for the next outreach and engagement activities that shall be carried out in meetings.

Anyone? Is there anyone who’d like to make reactions or suggestions, or advise on what should be done in future ICANN meetings as a wrap up call for ICANN 65? Yes, Dev. You have the floor.

 

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you. Thanks for the summary, Daniel, but do we have any list of potential leads captured at any of the outreach at the booth or whatever? Any sign-ins and so forth? That’s my first question. The second question was also looking at the meeting schedule. I know that the text for the At-Large meetings have been – I'll say it’s improved, better than regional meeting #1, #2, #3. I still think though the text can be improved, because there's still no indicator of who or what is At Large or ALAC. So [inaudible] needs some tweaking on that that needs to be done in time for the next meeting. Those are my two comments, questions.

 

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Thank you very much, Dev. At least the time that I was at the booth, I happened to see at least a signup sheet, but I don't know what transpired regarding the signup sheet, and I don't know who could be having that signup sheet. Probably there's need for follow-up on the respective signup sheets. Yes, Shreedeep. Dev, is that a follow-up question, or it’s an old hand?

 

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Just to say that if it’s a physical piece of paper that osmeobdy had to be responsible for, then I think we really need to have this done online [next time] so we have an online form, a person there with a laptop, a tablet or phone, name, e-mail address, what country, that’s it.

 

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Okay. Thank you very much, Dev. Let’s hear from Shreedeep, then we shall hear from Judith. Shreedeep, you have the floor.

 

SHREEDEEP RAYAMAJHI: Thank you, Daniel. The location was really strategic, and it was very interesting to have the booth located in such a place. Apart from that, I had even signed up for the booth and I was there, and interacting with the youth there was quite interesting.

It was quite good, and I think there was a paper. The signup paper was there. So I had also seen that. And I think records are taken by staff. So it was there. Thank you.

 

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Thank you very much for that. Let’s hear from Judith.

 

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: I was at the booth. The signup sheet was often lost. I also had to  get a new signup sheet and new bowls because they were often taken. People put other food in there, other stuff in there, or the catering staff collected the bowls. So there were many other issues.

For a while, we didn't have a computer showing the slideshows, and then we didn't have anyone with a locked – what we needed was a locked iPad to the [bowl] that people could use to sign up. We didn't have that.

So the sheet was often lost. People who are onboard didn't know because we were sharing the booth with fellowship who mostly were taking over what [inaudible]. So although we had people there, no one really knew what was going on, there was no leadership, and it was all a mess. And I tried the best I can to get the sheets and get people to sign up, and I actually had names, but then the sheet got misplaced probably and who knows.

 

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Okay. Thank you very much, Judith, for that. I think from what I'm picking up here is that every time we have a booth, we need to find at least one lead person who is going to be able to take care of the booth. And then also on the issue of cards, we could have a [little bowl] – I'm reading from the chat – whereby cards can be placed for easy follow-up respectively.

I think also, regarding also the booth, we need to have during the times that one lead person to be there whereby in case one is not there, then one can be able to replace them such that you can be able to follow up. So I think those are some of the challenges that transpired at the booth. Yeah, Glenn says he can create a Google form for signup – he created a Google form for signup but it wasn’t used.

So I think also we need to have at least [inaudible] preparation for the booth. So what I'm reading in the chat that [inaudible] get an online form set up and posted on the laptop. I think that is a perfect feedback.

 

NKEM NWEKE: Hello, chair.

 

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Please go ahead.

 

NKEM NWEKE: Considering the GDPR issue, I’d like to add that in the hard form, there should be a clause where they have to accept the fact that their phone number or their e-mail addresses will be used to [inaudible] because as an outcome, impact of the outreach we made, impact massively AFRALO. [inaudible]. We have also opened a WhatsApp group for [interested] participants who showed interest in the ICANN process and meetings.

So we created the WhatsApp group for them and we brought in mentors like Sarah, [Khaled,] myself, and Remmy Nweke, we are mentors [inaudible]. So what I'm saying effectively is that on the hard copy of the signup sheet or the form, there should be that [clause] where they have to accept that [inaudible] GDPR issue, that their phone numbers, e-mail addresses [inaudible]. Thank you.

 

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Thank you very much for that update. Let’s just get on the next item on the agenda. That is any updated from the co-chairs on upcoming activities that they're planning for the next FY. Probably I'll start with AFRALO, probably Sarah can be able to speak on behalf of AFRALO. Sarah?

 

SARAH KIDEN: Hi, Daniel. Please say your question again. Sorry.

 

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Yes. Sarah, what we’re getting to right now are the updates of upcoming regional activities from every RALO for the next FY.

 

SARAH KIDEN: We don’t really have a lot of plans in place, but something we’re talking about is to have the AFRALO general assembly happening at the same time with the Africa Internet Summit. So at least it’s not something we’d discussed, though we don’t have many other plans as it is right now. I hope that’s enough. Thank you.

 

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Thank you very much, Sarah. Do we have someone from APRALO? In case there is no one from APRALO, let’s proceed to Glenn to give us upcoming activities, or Judith, from NARALO. Glenn?

 

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thanks, everybody. Okay. Very quickly, one of the things that we did in Marrakech recently, we organized a meeting with Joe Catapano – Chris   Mondini wasn’t in Marrakech –with Eduardo Diaz, our chair, myself, the outgoing secretariat, and incoming secretariat, Judith   Hellerstein, so that we actually communicate more clearly what the GSE’s doing in North America, what activities we’re doing. So we’re going to be doing routine calls on a regular basis just to exchange information on our outreach and engagement activities as well as the GSE. So I think it’s a good model of communication.

One of the outreach efforts we did this month was the IGF USA, which Judith is one of the organizers for, and she could talk about that, but I did have NARALO brochures. I can't remember how many, it was definitely more than 200, maybe 300 people at the event. It was an excellent event organized in Washington as usual. I believe it’s the tenth year they've done it. If you want to see, the pictures are all up on Flickr.

We’re also encouraging our NARALO ALSes and unaffiliated members to apply for the discretionary funds. We mention it every month that they take advantage of that. I know Adrian Schmidt’s doing something with his university in Alberta very soon ,so he's submitted something for that as well.

Upcoming stuff that we’re organizing, we’re doing NASIG, this is our second year of the North American School of Internet Governance which we have eight people from North America [inaudible] from different parts of the world. Many of them are At-Large members. They're travelers for ATLAS III. And we have NextGen and we have fellows there, part of it as well. So we’re organizing the hotels for each of these people right now as I speak.

So it’s a two-day event and it’s going to be at a very modern facility at Concordia. It’s the John Molson Business Center in the old part of Montréal. There’ll be a reception on Friday night because it’s a limited setting and it’s designed for the NASIG members who participated as well as the speakers. So if any of the community wants to come, At Large or ALAC, please send me your requests. It'll be by invitation only because we have limited spots, so drinks and food will be available at the reception.

Another outreach is the GDPR for Citizens event we've organized. Unfortunately, the ALAC could not come because it’s clashing with their event, so some of the people who’ve registered have been deregistered. We have a couple of spots available for anybody who wants to attend. Again, we’re reserving roughly 15 spots for new people in the Montréal [inaudible] who run small businesses as an outreach. So that'll be one of the other outreaches.

We have our standard [forms] that we’re doing to encourage people to apply for one of the three CROP trips, and there's a whole selection process that we’re having. That’s about it, but I'll turn to Judith if she had anything else that I missed.

 

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: I think Glenn covered everything well. In the IGF USA, we did some outreach, and other events are going on that I put out brochures for. We also did an outreach along with ISOC New York, the ALS in New York did a readout for the ICANN readout, and I've put out NARALO brochures there, actually NARALO mail cards there, and I know in ISOC California did a readout as well, and there was another one in Canada, and in Puerto Rico, so NARALO’s been doing a lot of outreach to different areas out there with the readouts. So I think that’s also one thing that we want to highlight.

 

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Thank you very much, Judith. I can see Sarah’s hand is up. Sarah, please, you have the floor.

 

SARAH KIDEN: Sorry, I just gave an update about our upcoming regional activities. I didn't speak about our recent activities. The week before the Marrakech meeting, together with the GSE team, we had a YouthCom event in Uganda, and we had about 42 participants coming. [Bob,] Yaovi, Pierre, someone from the ccTLD, regulator and Internet community [were generally taking] youth below 30 through the Internet ecosystem, and how they can get involved, so we encourage the participants of our YouthCom event to also come for the Africa Internet Summit which was very nice for them, so the YouthCom was like a way to help them get to the Africa Internet Summit.

So that was organized in partnership with my ALS which is ISOC Uganda chapter. And then ICANN organized a special workshop and then ICANN day, which we also participated in very actively throughout the summit and who are very well represented. Tijani and [Caleb] traveled using the CROP funding, and I think based on the engagement and the activities that we had during the Africa Internet summit, right now we have many ALS and individual member applications, and we hope to continue engaging, but and for this reason, this is why we want to have our general assembly during the Africa Internet Summit. Thank you very much.

 

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Thank you very much, Sarah, for that. Let me just simply read through the chat. I'm seeing a comment from Cheryl that she's seen a resurgent activity at the bimonthly APAC Space, and of course, there have been outreach efforts within the time that has been spent at APRIGF. And also, I'm aware about the activities that happened in Russia, I think the Russia IGF which brought a lot of attention and a lot of engagement together with At-Large.

On the call, is there anyone from LACRALO?

 

MARITZA AGUERO: Yes. Thank you very much, Daniel. Next week is going to be the LAC IGF that is going to be held in La Paz, Bolivia, and I personally will attend. I have talked to some of the [GSE] staff, and ICANN will participate in a panel with Lito Ibarra, that is member of the board, and we are going to do some outreach activities, but we have not now a booth. There's not going to be a booth in there because the organizers are other organizations, but we can do some activities of outreach.

So I will be there with some people from my country. That is going to happen next week in Bolivia. Other outreach activity is going to happen in my country in September. We are organizing a [course] within the university where I work, and trying to get people from different communities or a training course, and just [inaudible] that activity. I'm going to contact with the LACRALO leadership to do more effort to join more people from the Latin American and the Caribbean community. That’s all I can report on now. Thank you.

 

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Thank you very much, Maritza, for that update. Let’s hear from EURALO lastly.

 

MATTHIAS HUDOBNIK: Hello, everybody. Okay, I will start with some outreach activity of our region, starting with the RIPE 78, it was on the 25th and 24th of May in Reykjavik where ALAC member Baastian Goslings was there. We had some guest lecture from the university of Lutz, Joanna Kulesza on the 13th of May. She was making a session about ICANN new gTLDs and its rights protection mechanisms.

Then we had obviously the EuroDIG from the 19th until the 20th of June. There were obviously a lot of EURALO members heavily involved in this forum. We had a big number of participants in our region from a matter of time [I'll just pick three] sessions as [representing] a large number of sessions.

So we had the annual general meeting of the EURALO individual user association where Roberto Gaetano was there and a bunch of other members, also our RALO chair, Olivier Crépin-Leblond who had a GDPR implementation session, [blind spot] opportunities and the way forward. Raphael Beuregard-Lacroix was there. I was also pariicpating in this session, then Oksana Prykhodo. [inaudible] was also participating, and we had another session with making norms work for [suing] and [detecting] cybersecurity where also [inaudible] was there and some other EURALO members. [inaudible] more sessions, but I just picked out three of them.

The next EuroDIG will be held in Trieste in 2020. Then we have the IGF in Hungary, which will be the 4th of September in Budapest where Joanna Kulesza is planning to attend with a session. We have the IGF event in Ukraine on the 23rd of December, and also the RIPE meeting on the 24th and 25th, a small [inaudible] meeting, a regional one after the IGF, and the 26th of September, we have the youth IGF in Ukraine as well.

Then we have further meetings, the ICANN Studdienkreis in Lisbon which will be on the 7th until the 8th of October, then the RIPE 79 in Rotterdam on the 14th, on the 18th 2019, and of course, the ICANN Montréal meeting. Yeah, I think these are the most important one. Thank you.

 

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Thank you very much for that update from EURALO. I can see plenty of activities. And one thing I know is that these activities are also interesting together with the global stakeholder engagement team calendar as they're also being shared.

And also, I'm going to add that for those events that have [inaudible] strategies, I think those should be included. With that, I'm going to proceed to the next item on the agenda –

 

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Olivier.

 

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Which is [inaudible] plan for –

 

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Olivier.

 

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Outreach and engagement at ICANN 66.

 

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Olivier.

 

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Work of the team – I know that Glenn has already given a brief insight on what is transpiring or what is in plan, but also as we have seen earlier in the call is that there are some challenges that we've got regarding [the booth getting late] and so forth.

Let me just simply [take] this as an action point, that we get at least – a booth lead for the next booth in Montréal. I know Glenn is very good at this. He’ll be able to [inaudible]. With that, let me hear from Adam in case he has something to say regarding ICANN 66, then we shall be able to have Glenn, Olivier, and then also we shall hear from Joan. Let’s give the floor to Adam. Adam, are you there?

Okay, it seems that I'm not hearing any feedback from Adam. Let’s hear from Olivier, the plans for – to give us an update regarding ATLAS, and also the plans for ICANN 66. Olivier, you have the floor. As you speak, we shall get back to Adam, because Adam was muted. Let’s hear from Olivier, then we shall get back to Adam.

 

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Daniel. At ICANN 66, as you know, we've got the At-Large summit coming up, and as far as the program is concerned, Joanna and Vanda and Alfredo Calderon have worked together to produce an excellent program but still in discussions to finalize it. One of the difficulties we have is we don’t actually have an actual block schedule yet, so we can't give you any details of how the whole program will pan out, but ATLAS III will take place from the Monday until the Thursday of the ICANN week. The ALAC will meet over Saturday and Sunday before that. And the participants of ATLAS III will be taught a number of things. So really, it’s going to be a lot of capacity building going on, a lot of leadership training and also some case scenarios. We’ll have more soon about this.

With regards to outreach, of course, we’re going to use the time that we are there to go and first reach out to our local communities. We are in touch with the local At-Large structures, there's several of them that will be involved, and there will be some opportunities for networking, both at lunch time when there will be lunches, but also in the evening where there will be some cocktails, including a couple of them that are being sponsored.

There's more to come soon. Things are still up in the air. But closer to the time, we’ll be able to provide you with a better schedule, and also with more details on the sponsored lunches and evening activities as well. That’s all. Thank you.

 

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Thank you very much, Olivier. Let’s hear from Adam. Adam, are you able to speak now? Adam? Is he still on mute?

 

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yeah, Adam, you need to unmute your phone.

 

ADAM PEAKE: Thank you. Yes, I was muted both on the Zoom side and my phone side and it was bouncing between them. I don’t have much to add on ICANN   66. I know that Joe Catapano has been talking to CIRA in particular about outreach to local civil society and I'll get an update from Joe if Glenn hasn’t already been speaking to him [inaudible] there's a lot of conversations going on there in the NARALO region, so that’s very good. But mostly what I have to say is to add a few things on the IGF, and also to say that for APRALO and potentially for EURALO, there's also the EDNS forum in Armenia just to go back on to the previous subject.

EDNS forum in Armenia which is going to be held I believe it’s the 11th and 12th of October, and there's also an ITU [Wicket] meeting from the 6th to the 9th of October also in Armenia, so you may wish to take a look at how CROP or discretionary funds or something might be used, and given that there may be a cross-regional element, probably having a discussion that includes both the GSE, APAC and European regions would be helpful remembering, so that would be Jean-Jacques Sahel, Jia Rong, and also include Natalia Mochu as she's taking care of the Eastern European states. So we can coordinate that if that meeting is of interest. And if you want to come back to the IGF, I’d be happy to do that. Thank you.

 

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Thank you very much, Adam. And also still in regard to ICANN 66, probably Glenn – sorry, I have a hand up from Haroun. Haroun, would you like to take the floor now?

 

HAROUN MAHAMAT CHERIF: Sorry, I have only small [kind of] advice. So [I have joined] ICANN more than six or seven months now, so I totally get lost because there was no clear guidance. What I mean by the clear guidance – so the new joiners or the newcomers are always looking from where ICANN began and where it is right now and where it is going.

[All that I needed – and I need a lot of things – now only] what I keep doing is just attend the meeting of the ICANN if I see it, check it on its website and all that. So I need more guidance to guide me and help me develop myself and how can I do more activities on that. I and other newcomers. Thank you so much.

 

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Thank you very much, Haroun, for that. That’s a very interesting feedback that you're giving us, and I would like to personally welcome you to ICANN and also [inaudible] outreach and engagement call.

I can see Sarah’s hand up. Probably Sarah would give an appropriate answer. Sarah, please, you have the floor.

 

SARAH KIDEN: Thank you. Welcome, Haroun. Haroun is from one of our recent ALSes, so welcome. Together with staff, we were actually planning for our session for all our ALSes and new members, but we got carried away with the Africa Internet Summit and ICANN meeting. But I think now is a good time for us to go back to this [inaudible]. So as an action item, I will go back to my team and follow up and ensure that we can do this as soon as possible. Thank you for the feedback and for reminding us. Thank you.

 

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Thank you very much, Sarah. Would you like to give us at least an update during the next call on how you're progressing with that? And also, I think there's interesting material on ICANN Learn that can be used by the newcomers. [inaudible].

 

SARAH KIDEN: Yes, we’ll take note of that as an action item and we’ll give an update at the next meeting. Thank you.

 

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Okay. I can see Heidi’s hand up. Heidi, please go ahead. You have the floor.

 

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. Thank you, Daniel. Noted, Sarah. Just two points on the activities for outreach and engagement during ICANN 66. Similar to what I've written in the chat, I believe that ATLAS III presents a very unique opportunity for all of you to work with the 60 potential At-Large leaders that will be there to show them and to coordinate how they can do more outreach and engagement in their regions. I know that you want to focus on absolutely new people as well, but here you have the chance, you have those 60 people who may not have been as active in outreach and engagement activities, and they're there. So you might wish to work with them, perhaps if they need training, materials to do outreach and engagement, to coordinate how you can be more effective working together post-ATLAS III, that’s one point.

And also, on the fellows, Siranush is on the call. We have always many people coming, fellows who are identifying as end users or At-Large potential members, so you might wish to focus on them a little bit more than you have in the past. Now that we have the mentor – it was Amrita in Marrakech and now it’ll be Sarah going forward for this year – perhaps you can coordinate with her and Siranush on how to bring those fellows who are prime to be part of At-Large to engage them a little bit more as well. Thank you very much.

 

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Thank you very much, Heidi, for that. I think that is very fruitful. And also, [inaudible] information, they can also ping me and [they can be able to] give us one or two hints on how to carry out effective engagement. And also, I would ask, since we have Olivier on the call, could it be possible to add also on the agenda for other program of ATLAS III probably a session on how to be able to carry out effective engagement for newcomers or for those who are old? I think that would also be a great session to be able to attend to. Yeah.

But also still following up regarding the ICANN 66 meeting, during the other respective meetings that we have held, we have been having joint outreaches. Let me ask Olivier. Olivier, do you think there is still a plan to carry out a joint outreach session between At-Large and NCUC?

 

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah. Thank you, Daniel. A very good question, actually, because this has been a very successful session that we've done with NCUC [in terms of] the ICANN meetings. I think that we’re first going to have to see in the day one of the ATLAS, which is on the Monday, usually this joint meeting takes place on the Monday. The Saturday and Sunday are taken up by side work, both on the GNSO side but also on the ALAC side.

So Monday would probably be the best time to organize this. I understand that the opening ceremony will take place on the afternoon on the Monday, which is a change from the usual thing – usually it takes place on the morning of the Monday – but certainly taking into account the changes of the agenda, I would suggest that we still try to engage and try to have a joint meeting with the NCUC, a joint outreach session on the NCUC in the morning of the Monday.

As I said earlier, the overall schedules have not been finalized, and our work with Gisella and with the equivalent people in NCUC to see what slot we could take, usually we take I think a 90-minute slot will probably enough. We’ll all be pressed for time. But yeah, our aim is also have a session there. Thank you.

 

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Thank you very much, Olivier. I’d also like to, adding on that, that during the meeting in Kobe, there was a joint session between At-Large and NPOC. I'm happy to say that on this call, we have Joan Kerr, who is the chair of NPOC, probably should give us at least a brief on what is expected of the next call [inaudible]. Joan, you have the floor. Is Joan   Kerr on the call?

 

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Glenn, is she on the call?

 

MICHELLE DESMYTER: I'm checking right now, one moment. Looks like we do not have her.

 

JOAN KERR: I am trying to get on the call.

 

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Joan, please proceed. You have the floor.

 

JOAN KERR: Oh, I do? Okay. I was on earlier and I didn't see myself on the call, so I exited out of courtesy. So sorry, [inaudible]. So you were asking about the previous plans, or the ICANN 66?

 

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Both.

 

JOAN KERR: Okay, so in Marrakech, we had a joint session with ALAC, and some of the things – it was about an hour and a half long, and introduced both organizations to the [inaudible], and the number one thing after [our interaction] that really came out is that everyone wanted to know the difference between – to clarify the difference between ALAC and NPOC, and I think that’s something that we have to be very prudent about is our roles within ICANN, and for ICANN 66, I think that’s something that I’d like to suggest that we really focus on to crystallize that effort.

We are going to cohost another event at the ICANN 66, similar, obviously to clarify our roles to the attendees. It’s more of an inreach event, meaning that inviting other constituencies and specifically the fellows, newcomers, NextGen to get them involved with n to just NPOC but ICANN as a whole, and show them how it works. But at the end of the day, I think when Maureen and I talked about this initially – and I hope she's on the line – the idea was to not just introduce both NPOC and ALAC to the community and clarify our roles, but also how could we work together to offer our resources without each other working separately and knowing that there's so much volunteer burnout. So that was the idea behind it.

The session that we will have – and you will have to discuss it and agree with ALAC of course – from NPOC’s point of view, we would look at brainstorming with the group and get some feedback, and then create polls and/or surveys. We’ll decide how we’ll do that. And I think Adam’s on the call as well. NPOC had a really good call with GSE and the GSE is really up to helping us with preparation for our materials. So I think the joint session will be well prepared for, but at the end of the day, what we would like the goal to be is creating resources and education for both our constituencies. I hope I captured it in a quick way.

 

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Thank you very much, Joan, for that remark. I think that is a very good session, and I think I look forward [to that once we set up the] planning committee for ICANN 66. Yes, I can see Sébastien’s hand up. Sébastien, please. You have the floor.

 

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET. Thank you very much. Thank you, Daniel, to remind me that I need to be here. and I'm sorry to be late. It was quite a hectic day. I guess I sent a mail to this group about possibility to not just receive but maybe to give, and the idea was sent by a friend of mine who is a French registrar in [inaudible] in Quebec, in Montréal, sorry, and [inaudible] to try to find an activity who can help other.

And I remember when I was sharing the meeting strategy working group a few years ago, one thing that we wanted to do is to allow people from the community to give to the place where we are [it’s happened in Durban] if my memory is not wrong. Some participants went to paint a school here. The proposal is to help for the [inaudible] based in Montréal, elementary world bank, something like that, with my bad translation. And it could be – I think we as At-Large with the ATLAS III could be a good opportunity to give something to the people from the country in need, of course. Thank you very much, and I'm happy to answer question even if it’s still in the infancy, this project, but next meeting, if you wish, I can ask my friend from brand names I guess to join. Thank you.

 

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Thank you very much, Sébastien, about that. I think it is a good look how we can be able to create impact with regards to outreach to the community. So probably if there is [inaudible] able to follow up, it would be good to have that respective follow-up such that we can see how we’re able to impact the communities in Montréal.

Still, following up from the agenda, allow me to skip one or two things on the agenda and then we proceed to an update on the communications strategy. Could you please scroll up on the agenda? Yes. Let’s hear from John Laprise to give us at least the next steps on the At-Large communication strategy. You have the floor.

 

JOHN LAPRISE: Thank you, Daniel. So I've been asked to speak a little bit of the At Large communication strategy, and at this point, it’s in its initial stages. I've been asked to do some work on this to develop a cohesive communication strategy that’s in sync with what At-Large wants. So I'm presenting here for you to begin thinking about this. This is something that I'll probably be working on as I transition out of ALAC and take on a role to fashion overall communication strategy, not just as I've been doing with the Social Media Working Group but to think in broader terms about strategy, and this goes along also with some of the changes we've made in terms of at the general meetings where we actually describe what's going on in given sessions as well as things like   – oh, just what Jonathan Zuck has been doing with the CPWG in making available key talking points from At-Large for each meeting? Just making us more transparent, more friendly due to the broader audience, and to the Internet community more broadly.

So at this point, we’re in a conceptual stage, yes, and also concur with Dev, the blog was going to be a key part of that too. So at this point, I think right now we’re sort of in the process of cataloging and gathering ideas from the community. So I guess the action item I’d like at this point is we should have a Wiki page probably devoted to this, and be soliciting comments and suggestions from the community.

 

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Thank you very much, John, for that. I would like to also mention that previously, the outreach and engagement working group had started discussions with regarding to coming up with an outreach and engagement communication strategy. So quite some work was put on pause until this respective task gets done. Would you think that it would be a good idea that – I'm open for suggestions, but also, I’d like to put forward a suggestion that the outreach and engagement communication strategy to be drafted in parallel with the general strategy if that would suit you, or suit the community or suit the group. What would you think about that?

 

JOHN LAPRISE: I would welcome that initiative. I view that the communication strategy of the outreach and engagement working group is part and parcel of an overall At-Large strategy, and to be most effective, we want to ensure that our messaging is synchronized between the messaging. So for O&E to be synchronized with CPWG when we’re messaging out of the annual meetings, and in-between, it’s absolutely essential. So I welcome that kind of collaboration and cooperation.

Also, I see Remmy’s comment online, and yes, universal access will be part and parcel also of this strategy going forward.

 

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Okay. That is really great. Just also an update regarding the [O&E] communication strategy is that previously, there was as call for volunteers to join the O&E communication strategy. Do we have an update on how many of the volunteers had given themselves or offered themselves volunteer [inaudible]? [Let’s say no one or two people, probably it could be good statistics.] Heidi, do you have the statistic somewhere of the persons who had volunteered to be on the communication strategy?

 

HEIDI ULLRICH: Hi. I need to look at that. I don’t think that there was a formal call. I believe that we only had a few people sign up during the last – the previous call, the outreach and engagement team. So we’ll take a look at that. But John, did you wish to do a formal call?

 

JOHN LAPRISE: Yes. I was actually thinking about this as Daniel was speaking about it. And yes, we should put out a formal call to At-Large. And David, it’s not too late to volunteer. It’s never too late to volunteer. But yes, we should put on sort of an all bands call for volunteers for the communication strategy.

I will defer to Maureen as to what its actual designation is, because I'm not sure working group is appropriate, but I will leave that to other people. But the strategy development team at this point, so the At-Large communication strategy development team.

So I would welcome an all hands call for volunteers. Thank you, Heidi.

 

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Thank you very much. Looking at my participants, I can see Cheryl’s hand’s up. Cheryl, you have the floor.

 

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you very much, Daniel. And please don’t form any more subcommittees, working groups or other things. That will be the exact reverse as what we had recommended in the recent ALAC review. Let me stop you doing that at all costs. Ad hoc task force, small groups, whatever, make sure that they're time bound and specifically scoped with their work, and disappear as quickly as they appear.

That said, I did put my hand up to make sure that when I at least looked at it last – and it has been a little while – quite substantial work that was done within the outreach and engagement grouping of people, less than seven but more and four or five, had contributed to editing of the document that had gone a good ways towards, I think, being a reasonable draft. So let’s make sure that we don’t start from tabula rasa, a blank slate, but that we pick up those existing documents which, if my memory serves correctly, would be no more than six months, perhaps even seven, old. Thanks.

 

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Thank you very much for that input, Cheryl. Yes, I think the documents are available, and I think that they should be at least [inaudible] point. Also following the chat, I think there r two calls here. There is one for the At-Large comm strategy –

 

HEIDI ULLRICH: Daniel, sorry, I'm going to raise my hand officially here if I can manage that. I thought John said that this one group would work on both, given that he's a member of this group as well, that perhaps a subgroup, once the overall comm strategy is developed, once perhaps a smaller subset of that group could then work on an outreach and engagement plan rather than two calls gong out. Would you be okay with that?

 

DANIEL NANGHAKA: I agree. That’s fine with me, but at least at the end of the day, we shall at least have one of our tasks done, and I'm very happy to see the progress of the comm strategy. At least there's really some work that was put forward regarding to the comm strategy. Probably that would be a very good addition to it. Heidi, is that an old hand or new hand?

 

HEIDI ULLRICH: That’s an old hand. I’ve noted the change. Thank you.

 

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Alright. Great. Thank you very much. Yes. Also adding too that reading the chat, there is an [adjunct provisional task for] group two, [two minute warning for me,] then Isaac Maposa, “I’d love to join.” Then there's agreement from Maureen regarding the respective feedback regarding to the formation of the groups, and then also it’s okay with John, and then also [reading that] collaboration is key here, that is from Cheryl. I think that brings some very good key points regarding the communication strategy.

But also, as we proceed, Glenn and Eduardo had done some work on the report on the [curative rights] pilot project. Glenn, would you want to give at least something like three minutes –

 

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah, I'm not interested in doing it. No thanks.

 

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Okay. Thank you very much. It’s because you previously had expressed interest in doing that. Proceeding to the next item on the agenda, we are going into the initial plans for outreach and engagement at the 2019 IGF. We have Matthias, Olivier, Claudia and Heidi on the call. Yes, I'll begin by giving the floor to Mathias to update us where are we now.

 

MATTHIAS HUDOBNIK: Hello, everybody. Regarding the booth, we have a shared booth with ICANN, and we already discussed some of the IGF material, promotional materials on the mailing list. [inaudible] we have some mailing cards [with QR codes, 250 people,] then At-Large pins, also 250 people, and At-Large stickers as well. And [inaudible] mailing list the IGF costs to be shared by all RALOs because it affects all RALOs because it’s an IGF.

And yeah, that’s so far from my side. Maybe Olivier or Adam want to add something. Thank you.

 

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Oliver, is there something that you’d like to add? Okay, not hearing anything from Olivier, let me get to Adam to update us on the work –

 

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I had to unmute here.

 

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Proceed, Olivier.

 

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Just a couple more things on the outreach activities that we've got. I was going to mention that there's going to be some promotional material, and the promotional material’s going to be pins and also some stickers, and all of the RALOs have agreed to share the cost on that promotional material because it’s for everyone.

This is going to be a very lean, should I say, meeting with regards to promotional material because they've decided that for green reasons, they don’t want to have tons of paperwork and stuff that will end up in the bin and more trees being cut down.              

So what we’ll be having is an IGF QR code that points to a Wiki page where we can put all the promotional material and things in electronic form, and that QR code will be given on a small post card. So we save on trees, but at the same time, we still have that great outreach. So thanks.

 

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Thank you very much, Olivier, for that. Let’s hear from Adam. Before we proceed to Adam, I see Dev’s hand up and Maureen. Dev, you have the floor.

 

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: I would like to hear from Adam first because it’s a question regarding the IGF promotional materials. So I'll defer to Adam first and then I'll ask my question.

 

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Okay, let’s proceed to Maureen.

 

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you, Daniel. I just wanted to squeeze in, if at all possible, just a couple of sentences on the very successful APR IGF meeting we had in Vladivostok and Russia. Probably one of the best that I've been to, actually, and it was really good to see that there were At-Large members within the group, and also that Satish and I were able to do a presentation on APRALO and the ALAC so that it was some opportunity to do outreach and engagement within the event itself. So I know that we’re running short of time, so I just wanted to make mention of it. Thank you.

 

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Thank you very much, Maureen. Let’s give the floor to Adam.

 

ADAM PEAKE: Thank you very much. So I've just put some links into the chat, and one of them is the overall link to the IGF [inaudible] and then the second is the logistical information which is a PDF file, and you'll see from that there's a sort of mockup photograph of what the booth will look like. It’s not tables, it’s a sort of presentation-type area, a few tables. There will be a screen, and the screen can be accessed via USB so you will be more than welcome to use presentations there, video there, a sort of loop presentation or whatever you wish.

What else will be there? It doesn’t have that much space, and as Olivier mentioned, the IGF is going green, so focusing on QR codes linking to materials that you want to display, and Heidi has created a page for where to put those materials. So that’s also – I've just seen Heidi’s put that in the chat. How you present the QR code, of course it could be on post cards which I think has been discussed. It might be on a tabletop banner. We don’t know how much tabletop space there will be. We’ll work that out.

It might be on a poster because there’s a sort of backdrop area, panels that things can be put on that someone could – but of course, you want the QR code to be accessible to someone’s camera.

That would be about it for the booth itself. We will also be talking to all the other supporting organizations and advisory committees about them participating. So it will be very busy. It’s not that big of a booth so we’ll have to coordinate that. It will also be an opportunity to have meetups and so on and so forth.

From the diagram, you can see in the link to the logistical PDF that ICANN is there and we are in [foyer] three, which is in a central area. It'll be alphabetical again, so it’s under ICANN rather than At-Large. We’ll see how that works out.

Other activities that are going on at the IGF, just to tell you while we know this, there's going to be an ICANN session on day zero, and that is on the evolving ecosystem, ICANN’s role in security and stability. That’s organized by ICANN Org, and I'll send all these links in a moment to the chat window.

There's an ICANN open forum which is DNS threats and opportunities, and then the final one is not an ICANN Organization, it’s from actually Jan Scholte who’s been doing a lot of interviews as you know on the legitimacy of multi-stakeholderism in ICANN. I expect many of you have been interviewed by Jan and his team, university of Gothenburg. Manal is involved as the chair of this. León Sanchez, the At-Large director will be one of the speakers. So I'll send those links.

Those are the main sessions that are mentioning ICANN, and I hope you'll have a page where you put all the workshops that At-Large members are involved with so we can make a collection of where the ICANN community is, where it’s speaking and so on and so forth.

But I'll send these links now. Yeah, happy to take questions, Dev. [inaudible]. Cheers.

 

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Thank you very much, Adam. Let’s hear from Dev. Dev, you have the floor.

 

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you. Thanks, Adam, and thanks for the materials. It’s answering some questions regarding the booth. My comment or my observation here is that having a QR code that goes to the At-Large Wiki I'm thinking is probably not a good idea, and the reason why is because the At-Large Wiki isn't very mobile friendly. Often when you go to the At-Large Wiki, you have to reload it twice to render the page and so forth. So we can use it as a starting off point to collate materials and ideas, but I think that the final QR code should go somewhere that’s a mobile friendly page of some sort.

The second page is that regarding the poster design, I'm just thinking from experience from being in At-Large, that a lot of times, people are just overwhelmed with all of the details and minutia of the At-Large community [inaudible] RALOs, individual members, ALSes, all of those [inaudible]. I think we need to really just step back a little bit and come up with a more simplified message, like what is our call to action to be in At-Large? I think [inaudible] that tries to address that and say “This is At-Large, this is the At-Large community, we are global, we care about end users, and just focus on that approach rather than here's a RALO and here's an ALS and here's individual members and how it differs across the different regions and all that confusion which turns everybody off.

So this is my comment on that. I'm thinking that we need to rethink how we want to present our communication. Rather than overwhelming them with details, [think of a] simpler message. Call to action, why you should join At-Large. Answer those questions.

So that’s my comment. I'll post a link to something and I'll hear what other comment people [have to say.]

 

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Thank you very much, Dev, for that. Adam, would you like to react? Or I could first take another remark from Olivier on the queue.

 

ADAM PEAKE: I think going to the queue would be a good idea, Daniel. I have nothing really to add at this point. I didn't know the community Wiki wasn’t so mobile friendly, but maybe something that we can talk about. I'm not sure what the solution is from the ICANN side as ICANN Org pages are very difficult to add at the moment because of the ITI project ad the work being done on the website.

 

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Okay. Let’s hear from Olivier. Olivier, you have the floor.

 

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Daniel. I was going to say what has just been said by Adam. The updating of any webpage on the ICANN website is a nightmare, so just updating them, so creating one is probably going to take months, and to update them with all the stuff that we want to update is not going to be easy at all.

So as Judith says, the only thing I can think of is the At-Large blog, because if the Wiki pages are not mobile friendly, then we've got nothing else than to put on that. Can we have a webpage on the At Large blog that is there? I don't know. I'm concerned about updating the information on the At-Large webpage.

 

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Thank you very much for that insight. Let’s hear from Cheryl. Cheryl, you have the floor.

 

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you, and someone who uses Android mobile devices, I can assure you that the atlarge.icann.org site – which does have a simpler message and is at a higher level or helicopter view – is absolutely rendered perfectly well on all of my mobile devices.

Yes, the Wiki can be problematic. One does need to – I don’t actually reload it twice, I simply scroll to the bottom of the screen and select “classic view,” and classic view renders perfectly. But if we have information technologically disenfranchised people using their QR codes, I would strongly suggest that you send them as soon as possible to the atlarge.icann.org, and if indeed you need to update it with some even more simple messaging as Dev was suggesting, that should be far easier to do. But yeah, I do understand that the Wiki looks a bit like a dog’s breakfast when one first gets into it, so we may as well avoid that, although I suspect that the single page Heidi’s put together is probably more friendly with less scripts, etc. Thanks.

 

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Thank you very much, Cheryl. Dev, before I come to you, let me give the floor to Claudia to [inaudible] chat. Claudia, you have the floor.

 

CLAUDIA RUIZ: Hi. Thank you, Daniel. Kind of don’t repeat too much of what everyone is saying already, but Dev brought up a good point which is something that I was going to bring up. Here is the webpage which we created for the promotional materials which is also in the chat, and here are the prices.

As you could see, it is cheaper to order 300 pins than it is 250. I'm still waiting for the vendor to get a quote for the mail card, but what I do need is for everyone to give us an idea of what it is that we are going to be posting on the mail card so we know what the QR code should be. That is the most important thing and we should do that rather quickly because it will take time, it'll take a few weeks for us to get it back from them.

I'm trying to get the page that Heidi created which is here, and I'll post it in the chat so everyone can post the ideas of where you think the QR code should lead us to. So that’s in the chat too, if everyone can please just let me know where if we need to create a new place or whatever it is. If you have any questions, let me know.

 

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Thank you very much, Claudia, for that. Let’s hear from Dev.

 

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks. Just to say that you can easily create a page on the At Large blog very quickly. And we can give people editing rights to create it, and you could modify it very quickly on the fly. So that’s not a problem.

But I just posted a link there, and I don't know if the page could be shown while whoever was sharing their screen to look at it. It was an article on NPR that talked about how academic science posters became so convoluted and because people’s attention spans are so – they're looking at posters all the time, it becomes hard to really [inaudible] communicate what they're doing. So what this person has been looked at is to simplify the entire poster.

So if you look at the first image on that page there, you’ve got kind of a clear idea [inaudible] what the key talking point. You have a QR code and then you have notes on either side. So if you want to delve into the details, you can do so.

And I'm thinking this is perhaps something we should try to do for At-Large rather than, again, having a whole set of brochures and talking about ALSes and so on. And there's a YouTube video I also posted in the chat there.

So this is what I'm thinking of, that we should really make an attempt to try to do something like this. So please read the article, there's a YouTube video which goes into the ideas. There's a template that the person has posted, and I can post the link to the template as well. This guy’s made it under open source creative commons license to create those type of posters. That’s it.

 

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Okay. Thank you very much, Dev. I think this can be an ongoing discussion regarding how best you can be able to enhance our presence and how we can be able to create appropriate outreach materials and activities.

And I think let’s set up a [inaudible] continue this discussion on the e-mail thread, and I think also, there is a question here in the chat that – Evin, can you [recreate] the Wiki page on the atlarge.icann.org website? If so, then the problem is solved. So probably Evin will be able to give us an answer to that, but then also Judith says we cannot use the templates as they are, not cleared by comms unit within ICANN.

Okay, now that takes us back to comms team to be able to help us work on the respective –

 

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: It’s not the comms team, it’s the ICANN team. Heidi has to get them cleared.

 

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Okay. I think that would be an action point for Heidi to get the comms team cleared to have at least all the respective outreach materials done in time.

Since we are coming to the end of the call, I'm going to request Michelle to be able to give us our respective action items that we have from this call.

 

HEIDI ULLRICH: Hi, everyone. We have the action items in the chat. I'll put it in there again. I didn't actually catch that last one, just go ahead and put this over here.

 

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Are you talking about the last action item?

 

HEIDI ULLRICH: So that’s the action item page. There we are. If we could please display that, if we’re not currently doing that. So the first one is Daniel to work with Claudia on an online forum for all ICANN meetings and IGFs to collect information on potential members, that is to be done before 66.

Procedure for signing potential members up to the At-Large include they will receive a pin or a pen once they send a note to Daniel and staff signaling their interest, and secondly, a raffle with the prize will be held for all people who signed up with an e-mail to Daniel and staff.

AFRALO, Sarah to organize an AFRALO orientation call with Evin.

Olivier and Daniel to coordinate the session to present the ATLAS III participants At-Large outreach and engagement activities. This is to include an overview of outreach and engagement activities, [noting] material that we need to engage in outreach and engagement in their regions [and of our workplan.]

Sarah Kiden to coordinate with Maureen Hilyard, Daniel, Siranush to engage At-Large fellows more into the At-Large outreach and engagement activities. Maureen, Heidi, Gisella and Sarah to coordinate with Siranush on coordinating events at ICANN 66 with the fellows. And staff to work with John Laprise – and that’s going to be Evin, by the way   – on an At-Large-wide call to develop the following communication strategies. The first one will be At-Large communication strategy, and then the subgroup of that group will provide or develop the At-Large outreach and engagement communication strategy.

There was also the final one that I did not catch, something about – I was supposed to follow up with Legal I believe. I'm not sure what that one was.

 

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Yeah, that is regarding to the communication materials for outreach at the IGF. I think that is it for this call.

 

HEIDI ULLRICH: So, sorry, Daniel, what was that action item?

 

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Regarding to communication materials at the IGF. And then also Evin I think was meant to set up the page look if I look at the chat clearly, [inaudible] page to point to the respective materials. That is somewhere on the chat.

Okay, I'm just trying to go back up. This seems to be [ticking along,] but you can always go back and review the respective chat. Apart from that, I think, when is the next call? I think staff will send out the call at the end of the month, and on this note, I’d like to say thank you to our interpreters, thank you to outreach and engagement team that has been on the call, and thank you for all participating in the call, and I’d like to adjourn the call. Thank you very much. Bye all, and have a great night.

 

MICHELLE DESMYTER: Thank you, Daniel.

 

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]