Sub-group Members:   Avri Doria, David McAuley, Greg Shatan, Kavouss Arasteh, Liz Le, Robin Gross, Samantha Eisner

ICANN Org:  Bernard Turcotte, Brenda Brewer, Patrick Dodson

Apologies:  /

** If your name is missing from attendance or apology, please send note to **


  1. Admin/SOI
  2. Finalizing Time-for-Filing language for public comment and discussion about public comment period and details
  3. Types of hearings 
  4. Review of interim rules that were emailed by Sam Eisner on May 8
  5. Further thoughts on IOT work after rules
  6. AOB



Raw Caption Notes*

*Note that these are the unofficial transcript. Official transcript will be posted 2-3 days after the call


  • Core text for Repose is accepted for public consultation as a second reading confirmed. DM and Staff will work out the details to get this posted as soon as possible.

Action Items: 

  • DM – Will post to list on situation regarding Rule 5 vs MH’s concerns
  • SE – Will circulate final interim rules in red-line and clean.
  • DM,SE and staff  – Contact Holly re Interim rules
  • Staff – ensure time at WS2 Face to Face at ICANN 62 for DM to present consultation on repose.


Next meeting:

    • Thursday 14 June 1900 UTC

Documents Presented 

Chat Transcript

 Brenda Brewer: (6/7/2018 13:34) Good day all!  Welcome to IRP-IOT Meeting #41 on 7 June 2018 @ 19:00 UTC.  

  Brenda Brewer: (13:34) This call is recorded please mute (*6) when not speaking.  *6 will unmute as needed.  Thank you!

  Captioner: (13:53) I'm on computer audio...should I call in?

  Captioner: (13:53) Ok  you sound great

  Bernard Turcotte - ICANN: (13:58) can someone say something I am not hearing anything

  David McAuley: (13:59) i am 4154

  Bernard Turcotte - ICANN: (14:00) we will start at 3 after the hour

  David McAuley: (14:00) i will speak again at 3 min past hour

  David McAuley: (14:01) please mute

  avri doria: (14:03) apologies, went to a zoom room instead.

  Bernard Turcotte - ICANN: (14:09) done

  Kavouss Arasteh 2: (14:18) The power of the panel should not be more than it needs

  Samantha Eisner: (14:22) As far as I recall, there is the ability to rebut the presumption against in-person hearings.  Which means that there can be an in-person hearing

  Samantha Eisner: (14:22) so I think that what Greg is concerned about is already in there?

  Liz Le: (14:23) Rule 5 currently states:  "The presumption against in-person hearings may be rebutted only under extraordinary circumstances, where, upon motion by a Party, the IRP PANEL determines that the party seeking an in-person hearing has demonstrated that:  (1) an in-person hearing is necessary for a fair resolution of the claim; (2) an in-person hearing is necessary to further the PURPOSES OF THE IRP; and (3) considerations of fairness and furtherance of the PURPOSES OF THE IRP outweigh the time and financial expense of an in-person hearing."

  avri doria: (14:25) what exactly is different in Malcolm's change. i lost it.

  Brenda Brewer: (14:29) Sam, you can scroll

  Brenda Brewer: (14:30) Document posted here:

  Bernard Turcotte - ICANN: (14:32) time check - 28 minutes left in call

  David McAuley: (14:35) Brenda - can you enlarge print a bit

  David McAuley: (14:36) i cant read footnote 20

  Brenda Brewer: (14:43) scroll for all

  Brenda Brewer: (14:43) you may enlarge document as needed

  Bernard Turcotte - ICANN: (14:43) ok

  Bernard Turcotte - ICANN: (14:50) time check - 10 minutes left in call

  Samantha Eisner: I have to drop.  Talk to everyone later

  • No labels