Attendees: 

Sub-group Members:   Cheryl Langdon-Orr, David McAuley, Erich Schweighofer, Farzaneh Badii, Finn Petersen, Greg Shatan, Griffin Barnett, Herb Waye, Jorge Cancio, Kavouss Arasteh, Milton Mueller, Philip Corwin, Robin Gross, Steve DelBianco, Tatiana Tropina, Thiago Jardim

Observers/Guests:  Thomas Rickert

Staff:  Bernard Turcotte, Nathalie Vergnolle, Samantha Eisner, Yvette Guigneaux

Apologies:  Raphael Beauregard-LaCroix, Wale Bakare

** If your name is missing from attendance or apology, please send note to acct-staff@icann.org **

Transcript

• Word Doc
  • PDF

Recording

Agenda

1. Welcome
2. Review of Agenda (2 minutes)
3. Administration (1 minute)
3.1. Changes to SOIs
3.2. Identify Audio Only and Phone Number Participants
4. Issues and Proposed Issues (45 minutes)
4.1. Complete Discussion of “OFAC Recommendation” (Second Reading)
4.2. Continued Discussion of Next Set of Proposed Issues: “Provisions relating to choice of law in certain ICANN Agreements”:
4.2.1. Registry Agreements do not have a provision stating the governing law of the agreement
4.2.2. Registrar Agreements do not have a provision stating the governing law of the agreement
4.2.3. Arbitration of Registry Agreement: Lack of choice in arbitral body and jurisdiction of arbitration
4.2.4. Lack of governing law provisions could lead to courts more likely choosing their own law as governing law
4.2.5. Provisions regarding the venue for hearing disputes in registry agreements are limited to one specific venue, with flexibility allowed only in contracts with Governments and other special cases
4.3. Review of Revised Proposed Issues List
5. Review of Schedule and Timeline (5 Minutes)
6. AOB (5 Minutes)
7. Adjourn (next meeting 27 September 1900UTC)

Raw Captioning Notes

Disclaimer: This rough edit transcript, which may contain missing, misspelled or paraphrased words, is only provided for your immediate review and is not certified as verbatim and is not to be cited in any way. 

Decisions

• The sub-group will try to provide a draft of the OFAC recommendation for consideration by the plenary at its 27 September call.

Action Items

• GS to produce iterative drafts of the OFAC recommendation until 20 September deadline for submission of documents for the 27 September plenary.

Requests

• (none)

Documents Presented

OFAC Recommendation as of 09182017.pdf

Chat Transcript

Yvette Guigneaux: (9/17/2017 23:24) Hi All and Welcome to the Jurisdiction Subgroup Meeting #47 | Monday, 18 Sept 17 @ 19:00 UTC!

Yvette Guigneaux: (23:25) When not speaking, please mute your phone by pressing *6 (star 6). To unmute, *6. This call is recorded.

Yvette Guigneaux: (23:25) Reminder to all, for captioning and transcription, please  state your name before speaking and speak slowly.

Jamie-Captioning support: (9/18/2017 11:32) Hello- can you make me a host?

Yvette Guigneaux: (11:48) hi Kavouss - we're working on dialing out to you now

KAVOUSS Arasteh: (11:50) Greg, Under 4.1,I have sent you some edits .It is not in Wdoc.

KAVOUSS Arasteh: (11:51) pls kindly include  that edits

captioner: (11:53) Can I have passcode, please?

Yvette Guigneaux: (11:54) 2731447485#

captioner: (11:54) Thanks!

captioner: (11:55) That's the captioner's number

Yvette Guigneaux: (11:55) ok thank you

Yvette Guigneaux: (11:55) is this Faith?

Yvette Guigneaux: (11:56) reminder to all - if you're not speaking please mute

Yvette Guigneaux: (11:56) thank you

Bernard Turcotte - ICANN: (11:57) Hello all

Thomas Rickert: (11:59) Hi all!

David McAuley: (11:59) I am #4154

Yvette Guigneaux: (12:00) hi David - thank you

Herb Waye Ombuds: (12:00) Greetings everyone

Tatiana Tropina: (12:00) Hi all!

Wale Bakare: (12:01) Greetings to you all. Good morning/afternoon/evening

Robin Gross: (12:01) Greetings from foggy San Francisco!

Jorge Cancio (GAC Switzerland): (12:01) Hi all!

Robin Gross: (12:03) feedback

David McAuley: (12:03) lots of interference

KAVOUSS Arasteh: (12:03) Distortion

Milton Mueller: (12:04) too soft

David McAuley: (12:04) sound seems ok

Milton Mueller: (12:04) too loud!

Robin Gross: (12:04) low

David McAuley: (12:04) yeah, a little soft

Milton Mueller: (12:04) now you're gone entirely

David McAuley: (12:04) goldilocks

Milton Mueller: (12:04) goldilocks

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO): (12:05) I had to use my headset goldilocks

KAVOUSS Arasteh: (12:05) Milton?s voice is heard very much distorted

Milton Mueller: (12:05) no my mic is off

Milton Mueller: (12:06) you are hearing voices, Kavouss ;-)

Yvette Guigneaux: (12:06) scrolling available if need be

Milton Mueller: (12:09) OK to me to use US sanctions

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO): (12:09) yup

Robin Gross: (12:10) agree

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO): (12:11) we do hear

Yvette Guigneaux: (12:12) my apologies Kavouss

Yvette Guigneaux: (12:12) i let you all do the scrolling and i'll keep the display still

Milton Mueller: (12:12) if the version here is the same as the one sent out at 1:42 pm, Kavouss can download this document and look at it more easily

Yvette Guigneaux: (12:19) if you're on cell - please mute your computer speakers - otherwise we have echo

Yvette Guigneaux: (12:19) thanks everyone

KAVOUSS Arasteh: (12:19) I hear very badly the intervention of Milton

Wale Bakare: (12:19)  Hi everyone, I am stepping out now due to health condition

Wale Bakare: (12:19) Cheers, bye

Yvette Guigneaux: (12:19) feel better Wale

Jorge Cancio (GAC Switzerland): (12:19) get well soon, Wale!

Milton Mueller: (12:20) we can suggest offline

Milton Mueller: (12:21) yes on the list

Thiago Jardim: (12:24) I apologise for not attending a couple of our previous calls nor having had the time to go through the transcripts. Could the rapporteur briefly develop on the "drafting history" of footnote 5?

Thiago Jardim: (12:25) Ok. We reserve the right to make comments and suggestions about it.

Milton Mueller: (12:25) I had my hand  up

David McAuley: (12:26) I think that is about viability of applicant, isn't it

Robin Gross: (12:29) that sounds dangerously "political" for ICANN to do

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO): (12:29) that is my understanding as well David

Milton Mueller: (12:30) I don't support that

Thiago Jardim: (12:30) + 1 to Milton's point

Milton Mueller: (12:30) no, i don't want them to be able to decide not to. full stop

Thiago Jardim: (12:30) We're moving away from the 'jurisdictional' problem

Milton Mueller: (12:30) exactly

Robin Gross: (12:30) its a pandora's box

Jorge Cancio (GAC Switzerland): (12:31) agree with Milton to a large extent

Farzaneh Badii: (12:31) OFAC sets the criteria not ICANN

Milton Mueller: (12:31) does icann apply for OFAC license before or after it determines they are viable applicants?

Farzaneh Badii: (12:31) yes the ones listed on SDN list in OFAC. those are not eligible

Thiago Jardim: (12:32) ICANN should not be in the business of "validating" or not unilateral sanctions that are themselves are problem for ICANN's accountability towards all stakeholders

Milton Mueller: (12:32) agree with David that it's a waste of time for ICANN to ask for license for registrars that are ineligible

Milton Mueller: (12:32) YES - Greg said it, we have already elinminated unqualified applicants

David McAuley: (12:33) if that the case then ok

Robin Gross: (12:33) I agree with Milton

Tatiana Tropina: (12:34) Agree with Milton too

Farzaneh Badii: (12:34) I agree with Milton

Farzaneh Badii: (12:35) ICANN should not decide OFAC can deny granting a license!

Milton Mueller: (12:35) yeah, so Phil you are indeed asking ICANN to develop its own sanctions regime

Thiago Jardim: (12:35) In that case, Phil, OFAC will deny an ICANN request for a license...

Milton Mueller: (12:35) if they are terrorists they will be on SDN

Thiago Jardim: (12:35) but it shouldn't be upon ICANN to develop these policies.

Thomas Rickert: (12:35) Where the applicant fulfills all eligibility requirements, ICANN should not have any discretion not to apply. Just my 5 cent.

Farzaneh Badii: (12:35) embarassment is an arbitrary criterion ...

Thomas Rickert: (12:36) This makes it much easier for ICANN and ICANN would be less vulnerable

Milton Mueller: (12:36) I think the anti-wiggle faction has consensus and the "wigglers" are a minority of one

Farzaneh Badii: (12:37) no

Farzaneh Badii: (12:37) that is not how it works. those on the list you cannot seek a license for ...

Milton Mueller: (12:37) rights, Greg

Farzaneh Badii: (12:37) ICANN cannot apply for license for the SDN ...

Milton Mueller: (12:40) anti-wigglers unite!

Bernard Turcotte - ICANN: (12:41) time check - 20 minutes left in call

Philip Corwin: (12:42) Well, if SDNs are outside the scope of parties that ICANN would seek a license for then my concerns are largely satisfied. That was not clear in the document before us.

David McAuley: (12:43) colorful page 5

Farzaneh Badii: (12:43) oh we had an impact :)

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO): (12:44) :-)

Bernard Turcotte - ICANN: (12:45) Staff is good for another 30 minutes

Thiago Jardim: (12:46) +1 down with the rumination

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO): (12:47) well I am now only in 1 meeting so ok for more time

Milton Mueller: (12:47) I want to go on !!!

Farzaneh Badii: (12:49) yeah a brief recommendation would do ...

Farzaneh Badii: (12:49) narrow and clean is nice

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO): (12:50) narrower is my preferences

Robin Gross: (12:50) +1

Farzaneh Badii: (12:51) what complexity?

David McAuley: (12:51) I thought Oct 11 was cut off date for our report, is that wrong

Farzaneh Badii: (12:51) we have been discussing this recommendation so many times ...

Milton Mueller: (12:51) we are trying to simplify this subrecommendation

Jorge Cancio (GAC Switzerland): (12:52) I think there is a lot of common ground on this rec

Milton Mueller: (12:52) yes

Milton Mueller: (12:52) Wed is 20 September

Bernard Turcotte - ICANN: (12:52) yes

Bernard Turcotte - ICANN: (12:53) documents are due 7 days prior to a plenary

Bernard Turcotte - ICANN: (12:53) next plenary is 27 September 1300UTC

David McAuley: (12:54) narrower and cleaner sounds right

Milton Mueller: (12:55) that scenario sounds fantastic Greg

Bernard Turcotte - ICANN: (12:55) Documents for the Sept 27 call are due Sept 20 23:59 UTC

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO): (12:55) great plan Greg

Milton Mueller: (12:56) clarification by ICANN

Milton Mueller: (12:57) we don't need a survey

David McAuley: (12:58) Our questionnaire was like a survey of sorts

Milton Mueller: (12:58) what language?

Thiago Jardim: (12:58) what language?

Jorge Cancio (GAC Switzerland): (12:59) what language?

Jorge Cancio (GAC Switzerland): (12:59) we need to look at this with a bit more of time

Milton Mueller: (12:59) YES there is opposition

Herb Waye Ombuds: (13:00) I have to leave. have a good day all... Herb

David McAuley: (13:00) Farzi makes a good point, a clarification is not dependent on a survey, at worst it could be redundant

Bernard Turcotte - ICANN: (13:01) Time check - top of the hour

Milton Mueller: (13:01) has Kavouss been recognized?

Robin Gross: (13:01) I oppose also

Tatiana Tropina: (13:01) Me too

David McAuley: (13:01) I don't see then need though Kavouss

David McAuley: (13:01) the need, not then need

Thomas Rickert: (13:01) I do not see the need, too.

Milton Mueller: (13:02) he is out of order

Thiago Jardim: (13:03) Is it necessary to say that "something has not occurred?"

Jorge Cancio (GAC Switzerland): (13:04) isn't "inappropriate" too vague?

Jorge Cancio (GAC Switzerland): (13:05) what are the parameters of that concept?  and how is that decision taken?

Thiago Jardim: (13:07) I'm against that we recommend that ICANN undertake studies

Milton Mueller: (13:07) a general license is the most fundamental and constructive outcome we can seek for

Thiago Jardim: (13:07) there's enough common ground to recommend that ICANN should seek general licenses for DNS-related transactions.

Thiago Jardim: (13:08) Let us recommend this and let ICANN consider how and whether to implement it - whether or not by undertaking studies, etc.

Milton Mueller: (13:09) yes, we recommend, ICANN implements

Thiago Jardim: (13:10) Farzi, how about : "ICANN should report back on how it is implementing the subgroup recommendations"

Thiago Jardim: (13:12) It must apply.

Thiago Jardim: (13:12) Whether it will be granted is another mather

Thiago Jardim: (13:12) matter

Milton Mueller: (13:12) right

Robin Gross: (13:12) ICANN should be required to apply.

Farzaneh Badii: (13:12) we should require ICANN to apply.

Jorge Cancio (GAC Switzerland): (13:13) makes sense - in the end it is a recommendation - it won't be an obligation anyway, right?

Milton Mueller: (13:14) it should be an obligation to try

Greg Shatan: (13:14) No, a recommendation becomes an obligation once it is approved by the Board.

Finn Petersen,: (13:14) Should be require to apply

Philip Corwin: (13:14) If we have not analyzed the costs, benefits, and other factrs relating to requests for general licenses we should not be requiring ICANN to apply for one or more.

Jorge Cancio (GAC Switzerland): (13:15) we recommend - if the Board accepts it becomes an obligation b/c of their acceptance

Philip Corwin: (13:16) I have no problem with recommending that they do so, and that they should report back to community on whether they have identified any serious downsides to doing so.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: (13:17) I am atad concerned about requiring ICANN to do rather than explore

Robin Gross: (13:19) Agree with Phil's proposal

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: (13:19) Phil I like that approach

Milton Mueller: (13:19) we could have the community review and make a decision

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: (13:19) exactly Milton

Robin Gross: (13:20) board could come back with proposal to address their concerns

Thiago Jardim: (13:21) There is perhaps disagreement as to what we/icann should do next after being recommended to seek a general license. So let's us recommend that, i.e. that icann seek a general license, and then we can draft some language afterwards to tackle the other concerns.

Thiago Jardim: (13:22) I'm not confortable with "unless there is downsides.."., because it should be not left for ICANN to decide that and ditch away a recommendation upon their finding

Milton Mueller: (13:23) right, they would return to the community with a serious risk, not just a "downside"

Thiago Jardim: (13:23) for the community to consider what to recommend / how to react / etc.

Bernard Turcotte - ICANN: (13:25) we have to wrap up for staff including captioners

Milton Mueller: (13:26) looking forward to your next draft, Grec

David McAuley: (13:27) OK, thanks Greg, staff, and all, good bye

Farzaneh Badii: (13:27) thank you

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: (13:27) thanks Greg, thanks everyone, bye for now...

Philip Corwin: (13:27) Bye all

Robin Gross: (13:27) Thanks, Grec, and all.  Bye!

Jorge Cancio (GAC Switzerland): (13:27) thanks Greg, and all - bye all!

Tatiana Tropina: (13:27) Thank you all - bye

Erich Schweighofer: (13:27) Bye

• No labels