You are viewing an old version of this page. View the current version.

Compare with Current View Page History

« Previous Version 3 Next »

Arsene Tungali Statement – 2017 GNSO Council Election

Hi everyone,

Bellow is my statement for the GNSO Council elections.

Name: Arsene Tungali

Region: Africa (DRC)

Employment: Nonprofit Executive; Independent researcher on issues including Internet Freedom;

Consultant in Internet governance and ICT strategies for nonprofit organizations.

Conflict of interest: None that I am aware of.

- Reasons for willingness to take on the tasks of the particular position;

I can be considered as a new blood, wiling and ready to serve. I have never had any leadership position

in any of ICANN structures. If elected, this will be the first position that I might be taking: representing

the NCSG on the GNSO Council. I look forward to working with our veterans and work on their side as

we advance our cause.

I am really keen to join past and current Councilors in leveraging on their efforts. I will try my best, in

coordination with other Councilors, to involve our distinguished members in Council discussions and

deliberations in making sure we really represent you and we are able to convey your views and your

message in GNSO so that the Board is able to hear what the NCSG thinks of different issues affecting non

commercial users. This is possible through effective communication between Councilors and NCSG

members. I know former Councilors have done their best; I am intending to reinforce this aspect.

Concretely and in addition to the above:

- I will continue my fight for issues related to human rights, freedom of expression, privacy, open

Internet as I know these are some of the issues we fight for as a stakeholder group, representing

the non commercial users and organizations. I will thrive to help ICANN be more active and

adopt concrete positions in these areas, especially in this time where we note a lot of violations

in Africa and in the world.

- I will use my time as Councilor to understand the different positions of other ICANN SO/ACs and

see how we can partner with those who defend the same positions as us so that we can have

good relationship and join our forces. I believe this will benefit the NCSG to have good allies in

other avenues.

- Qualifications for the position;

I believe am known to be a strong civil society advocate and activist, mainly in the Internet governance

space since 2011. I always try to advance the causes of civil society organizations as well as individuals in

different capacity; most recently as a Co-coordinator of the Civil Society Internet Governance Caucus

(IGC), a challenging role I took in 2016, which was a learning opportunity as well as an opportunity to

advance civil society agenda in the Internet governance space.

In that capacity, I have worked, alongside the NCSG, on the Civil Society Coordination Group (CSCG) in a

number of tasks including appointing civil society representatives in different venues and structures

including the IGF MAG, speakers for the WSIS Forum and the IGF. I have also worked alongside the

NCUC for the Joint civil society gathering ahead of the IGF in Mexico. This has given me the experience

of seeing NCSG representatives fight, defend positions and build partnerships with other civil society

groups; I believe this is something we should strengthen and I am happy to support this move on the

Council.

I am familiar with ICANN and its structures (most importantly, its place in the whole global Internet

ecosystem). After my first meeting in 2014, I immediately joined the NCSG and the NCUC where I am

particularly active in policy discussions. If elected as a Councilor, I know that I will be representing the

whole SG even the NPOC which I am not a member of but I am interested and following their work as a

nonprofit executive, interested in the DNS.

I have so far joined 2 working groups:

- An Observer at the workstream 2 working group on Diversity because I am a true advocate of

diversity in terms of regional, gender and language representation in ICANN. I am a native

French speaker and fortunate enough to speak and write in English as well.

- An active member of the CCWG on gTLD Auction Proceeds. I joined this CCWG because I believe,

as a nonprofit executive, I have something to contribute in helping ICANN use this money for the

right cause. I have been contributing so far and can see the work of this group going in the right

direction; my main goal being to make sure we decide to use the money on projects that will

benefit civil society groups as well.

- Statement of availability for the time the position requires; and

I am ready and able to commit time, energy and resources to be effective in supporting the work of the

Council. I believe those who know me, can testify that I can make things happen. I have followed the

work of the Council; I know the level of commitment that this volunteering position requires.

- Optionally, any other information that the candidate believes is relevant.

I take this opportunity to thank Mamdou LO for nominating me for the GNSO Council as a representative

of our dear NCSG. It is truly an honor to be standing and “compete” with the people I admire for their

work and involvement in everything ICANN. I have never done/achieved even half of what they have

achieved so far; I am humbly writing this in the hope that you will trust me enough and allow me to

represent you, which is a challenge that I am ready and happy to take.

You might not know me but I promise that by the end of my term, you will have known me for what I

will have achieved, with your support and that of the other Councilors. Thank you to all those who

publicly endorsed my nomination and thanks for your wonderful words. I look forward for your votes!

Thanks,

Arsene

For comments, suggestions, or technical support concerning this space, please email: ICANN Policy Department
© 2015 Internet Corporation For Assigned Names and Numbers