Sub-group Members:  Alan Greenberg, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Farzaneh Badii, Herb Waye, Jorge Villa, Julf Helsingius, Kavouss Arasteh, Olga Cavalli, Rinalia Abdul Rahim, Sebastien Bachollet, Steve DelBianco   (11)

Staff:  Bernard Turcotte, Brenda Brewer

Apologies:  Greg Shatan

** If your name is missing from attendance or apology, please send note to **




0. Call Admin and Roll Call / Apologies (2min-CLO) Apologies 

1. Welcome - Opening Remarks - Our aim and purpose for today's call (3-5 min-SDB, CLO) 

2. Review (brief) of last meeting records here and any Action Items (5-10 min- SDB, CLO) 

Refer here to our Google Doc and any list interaction on changes to draft text. 

3. Primary Agenda Item - Discussion (25-35 min SDB, FB)

  •  Review Public Comment documentation, and consideration of any amendments to our recommendations, from our last call and intersession list exchanges. 

Please see Document for reference on this item 

4.  Next Steps. Standing Item - (5 min- CLO, SB)

  • - CCWG still need to determine if any changes to our report are significant or not.
    - If significant changes are recommended, CCWG-Accountability WS2 may require a second public consultation.
    - If changes are not significant, CCWG-Accountability WS2 can forward final recommendations to Chartering Organizations for approval, and then to the ICANN Board for consideration and adoption. Noting the timeline and Key milestone dates. 

5.  AOB / Meeting Schedule (5 min- CLO) 

August Dates:

    • Thursday 24th @ 1900 UTC
    • Thursday 31st @ 0500 UTC

Raw Captioning Notes

Disclaimer: This rough edit transcript, which may contain missing, misspelled or paraphrased words, is only provided for your immediate review and is not certified as verbatim and is not to be cited in any way. 


  • None

Action Items:

  • SDB and FB to update document per comments for next meeting.


  • None

Documents Presented 

Chat Transcript

Brenda Brewer: (8/17/2017 07:35) Good day and welcome to WS2 SOAC Accountability Subgroup Meeting #29 on 17 August 2017 @ 13:00 UTC!

  Brenda Brewer: (07:36) If you are not speaking, please mute your phone by pressing *6 (star 6).  This call is recorded.

  Brenda Brewer: (07:36) Reminder to all, please speak slowly and state your name before speaking for the Captioner. Thank you!

  Kavouss Arasteh 2: (07:49) Dear Brenda

  Kavouss Arasteh 2: (07:49) Pls read your mail and kindly advise to diaL MY TEMPORARY Numebr

  Brenda Brewer: (07:51) Thank you for notice, Kavouss.  I will call number noted in email.  Thank you.

  Steve DelBianco: (07:54) Brenda -- do you have the comment PDF I sent most recently?   We will display that one

  Brenda Brewer: (07:55) I do have your pdf uploaded to show on screen.

  Kavouss Arasteh 2: (07:55) Dear Colleagues

  Captioner: (07:56) Good morning, good afternoon, good evening :)

  Alan Greenberg: (07:57) Will be on AC, but participating in other meeting in parallel. Will try to keep eye on chat in case question for me.

  Kavouss Arasteh 2: (07:57) Without counting three distinguished co- rapporteur and not double counting 8 I have been registered twice) before strating ,we need to  make sure that there is qurum

  Alan Greenberg: (07:57) BEst to initiate private chat which may catch my eye.

  Kavouss Arasteh 2: (07:59) Observer should not be counted as they can not either talk nor post a essage. This matter should be decided by participants without the any one else

  Brenda Brewer: (08:01) Kavouss, operator has attempted to call per the instructions you provided.  Operator reports there is no answer on your phone.  Thank you!

  Herb Waye Ombuds: (08:01) Hello everyone, can only participate for a few minutes, if anything comes up for the ombuds later in the call please email me on the list

  Steve DelBianco: (08:03) Herb -- please see the response sheet, row 38

  Herb Waye Ombuds: (08:03) ok

  Steve DelBianco: (08:06) @Herb:  Is that an appropriate role for Ombuds?

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2: (08:06) Yes Certainly Steve

  Julf Helsingius: (08:07) Seems to, yes

  Steve DelBianco: (08:07)  

  Herb Waye Ombuds: (08:08) Steve, it looks ok, as an independent review of any process. It can be underlined in any final document

  Herb Waye Ombuds: (08:09) No audio this morning sorry

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2: (08:09) Noted  Herb ... Thanks

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2: (08:10) We are focussing on Column E in each row

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2: (08:11) Thnks for being able to join us for this call Rinalia...

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2: (08:15) Appreciate that Rinalia,  we can add those points/ clarifications

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2: (08:18) Excellent Rinalia

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2: (08:22) Rinalia dod you want to comment/respond

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2: (08:22) RT's  yes  such as ATRT

  Bernard Turcotte - ICANN: (08:30) time check - 30 minutes left in call

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2: (08:30) Thx Bernie

  Kavouss Arasteh 2: (08:31) Iam disappointed to just listen to argument between Steve and Rinalia for more than 17 mints

  Steve DelBianco: (08:31) Rinalia: AC/SO chairs could come together to resolve problems/questions occuring during a review.

  Herb Waye Ombuds: (08:32) I have to run folks, please drop me an email on list if you have anything for me. Bye

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2: (08:32) Bye Herb Thx

  Rinalia Abdul Rahim: (08:34) Thank you for giving me the time to engage. I appreciate the group's patience.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2: (08:34) Thank you for your contributions Rinalia

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2: (08:35) Steve can you slide to show Column E on screen please

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2: (08:41) That is the businss of the AC or SO  

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2: (08:44) It is the sort of thing that is best dealt with in Internal Processes

  Olga Cavalli: (08:45) Hi apologies for being so late, was in other meeting

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2: (08:45)  we are leaving that minuta to each AC and SO   ...  I am not suggesting that such a practice would be an issue  at all just that this is an internal ACSO  matter

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2: (08:46) NOT refering to the practice per se  Farzi  rather that we in this  work do not need to go into that evle of detail on behalf of each AC and SO

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2: (08:46) NOT refering to the practice per se  Farzi  rather that we in this  work do not need to go into that evle of detail on behalf of each AC and SO\

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2: (08:47) Time check  ...  less than 15 mins left  and  many rows to get through  at this rate we will be continuing  or work next week now  as oppossed to finishing our read through in this call

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2: (08:47) hy stop at term limits

  Kavouss Arasteh 2: (08:51) Steve, May we go a little bit faster

  Kavouss Arasteh 2: (08:52) Steve, I admire yr devotion but we have had consensus on all thes

  Bernard Turcotte - ICANN: (08:52) hans

  Bernard Turcotte - ICANN: (08:52) hand

  Julf Helsingius: (08:52) I agree with disagreeing

  Bernard Turcotte - ICANN: (08:53) will type it

  Bernard Turcotte - ICANN: (08:53) Diversity sub-group is working on this type of thing

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2: (08:53)  Language Services does do more than the 6 UN languages

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2: (08:53) on a needs basis

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2: (08:55) OK

  Bernard Turcotte - ICANN: (08:56) Time Check - 5 minutes left

  Farzaneh Badii: (08:57) I like that answer too Rinalia!

  Farzaneh Badii: (08:57) who watches the watchers can get into a vicious circle!

  Farzaneh Badii: (08:58) but we are individually adhering to principles of transoparency etc

  Farzaneh Badii: (08:58) ombuds is already being used for internal SOAC complaints too

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2: (08:59) indeed

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2: (09:00) Good point to cross reference  into the important change proposed to the Ombuds office

  Steve DelBianco: (09:01) we made it thru row 31.   only 10 rows to go!

  Steve DelBianco: (09:02) Apologies if I missed it, Kavouss.   But I did not see your hand raised

  Farzaneh Badii: (09:02) thanks all bye

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2: (09:02) Bye all

  • No labels