Sub-group Members:   David McAuley, Erich Schweighofer, Farzaneh Badii, Finn Petersen, Freg Shatan, Griffin Barnett, Herb Waye, Jeff Neuman, Philip Corwin, Raphael Beauregard-Lacroix, Seun Ojedeji, Steve DelBianco, Thiago Jardim, Wale Bakare   (14)

Observers/Guests:  Mark Carvell

Staff:  Bernard Turcotte, Brenda Brewer, Meghan Healy, Nigel Hickson   (4)

Apologies:  Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Avri Doria, Bartlett Morgan

 ** If your name is missing from attendance or apology, please send note to **




1.     Welcome

2.     Review of Agenda (2 minutes)

3.     Administration (1 minute)

3.1.  Changes to SOIs

3.2.  Identify Audio Only and Phone Number Participants

4.     Review of decisions and action items from last call (2 minutes)

4.1.  Decisions:

4.1.1.   Email to questionnaire respondents regarding additional statements or participation is approved.

4.2.  Action Items:

4.2.1.   GS – to send email to questionnaire respondent as decided above.

4.3.  Requests

4.3.1.   Participants asked to include any issues they have on the issues list within the next two weeks.

5.     Review and discussion of the List of Proposed Issues for Jurisdiction Subgroup Consideration (15 minutes)


6.     Questionnaire (20 minutes)

6.1.  Review of Status and Progress

6.2.  Review one or more outstanding questionnaire responses

7.     Review of ICANN Litigation (10 Minutes)

7.1.  Review of Status and Progress:

7.2.  Review one or more outstanding litigation summaries

8.     AOB

9.     Adjourn

Raw Captioning Notes

CART Disclaimer: This rough edit transcript, which may contain missing, misspelled or paraphrased words, is only provided for your immediate review and is not certified as verbatim and is not to be cited in any way. 


  • Will begin formal discussion of the issues list on the next call.
  • Request ICANN Legal to present on OFAC and the fact that there is no jurisdiction in the Registry or Registrar contracts.

Action Items:

  • GS – to send email to questionnaire respondent as decide above.
  • GS – To request ICANN Legal to present on OFAC and the fact that there is no jurisdiction in the Registry or Registrar contracts.


Documents Presented

Chat Transcript

  Brenda Brewer: (7/18/2017 07:43) Good day and welcome to Jurisdiction Subgroup Meeting #38 on 18 July 2017 at 13:00 UTC!

  Brenda Brewer: (07:43) If you are not speaking, please mute your phone by pressing *6 (star 6).  This call is recorded.

  Brenda Brewer: (07:43) Reminder to all, please speak slowly and state your name before speaking for the Captioner.  Thank you!

  Bonnie-CART: (07:47) Good Morning!  Can you please tell me who will be leading this meeting?

  Brenda Brewer: (07:48) Greg Shatan is the Rapporteur.

  Bonnie-CART: (07:48) Thank you very much!

  Brenda Brewer: (07:48) You're welcome!

  Bonnie-CART: (07:52) Yes, I can

  Brenda Brewer: (07:52) Great!

  David McAuley: (08:00) I am #3200

  Brenda Brewer: (08:00) Thank you , David

  David McAuley: (08:01) I have an intern with me, Jonatahn Peyster

  Bernard Turcotte - ICANN: (08:01) hello all

  Brenda Brewer: (08:02) For the record, no answer from Kavouss' dial out

  Farzaneh Badii: (08:03) Hi, is the meeting in process? I can't hear anything

  Brenda Brewer: (08:03) Meeting has not started yet

  Farzaneh Badii: (08:03) really? am I early?

  Bernard Turcotte - ICANN: (08:03) no

  Brenda Brewer: (08:04) Will start momentarily

  Farzaneh Badii: (08:04) I thought so. I am never early!

  Nigel Hickson: (08:04) good afternoon

  Wale Bakare: (08:07) Good afternoon all

  Philip Corwin: (08:07) Good day all

  Thiago: (08:10) next two weeks?

  Herb Waye Ombuds: (08:14) sorry I'm late... :-) Hello everyone

  Raphael Beauregard-Lacroix: (08:15) I did flesh it out  (the first one) since I was the one to present the case that introduced that issue

  David McAuley: (08:18) good point Greg, some on list may turn out not to be issues

  Bernard Turcotte - ICANN: (08:29) Time Check - 30 minutes left in the call

  Brenda Brewer: (08:30) Anonymous has dialed in, if connected to Adobe, please identify name for attendance.

  Philip Corwin: (08:31) If Anonymous provides his/her identity he/she will no longer be anonymous ;-)

  Thiago: (08:31) Let him be there :)

  Thiago: (08:31) the transcripts are going to be publicly available in any case, arent they?

  Farzaneh Badii: (08:32) how do you know it's a "he" Thiago ...:)

  Thiago: (08:32) Farzaneh. Sorry :)

  Thiago: (08:32) I presumed that if "he" was a "she", she would have introduced herself

  Raphael Beauregard-Lacroix: (08:33) ICANN legal already commented on that particular issue actually :)

  Thiago: (08:33) but nothing justifies my lapsus

  Raphael Beauregard-Lacroix: (08:33) however getting them to talk to us I guess it can be interesting!

  Farzaneh Badii: (08:34) I agree with Thiago. we also need an independent expert

  Steve DelBianco: (08:34) Greg -- please request ICANN to dicument its previous experience obtaining waivers for OFAC and other national sanctions

  Farzaneh Badii: (08:35) I agree with Steve as well.

  Philip Corwin: (08:36) For the record, I do not regard OFAC as a "problem", just as a fact. And my point was that many nations have sanctions regimes they impose on designated organizations and nations, so this issue would exist if ICANN was incorporated in a large number of nations.

  Bernard Turcotte - ICANN: (08:36) @Steve I beleive this will be part of the request

  Farzaneh Badii: (08:37) I think we have established quite well that other countries have sanctions in place. But ICANN is located in the US and its sanctions can affect people in non-SDN list. so we need to address the issues

  Thiago: (08:39) Sure, thank you.

  Farzaneh Badii: (08:40) registered offices in other locations I believe

  Philip Corwin: (08:41) I look forward to a full and informed discussions of how, if at all, OFAC prevents certain individuals, companies, and nations from participation in core ICANN activities. I believe that is the relevant issue for this group, and not whether any nation's sanctions regime is sound policy.

  Bernard Turcotte - ICANN: (08:41) Thiago is that a new hand?

  Thiago: (08:41) Old and gone

  Bernard Turcotte - ICANN: (08:41) thanks

  Thiago: (08:41) thank you

  Farzaneh Badii: (08:42) yes phil we are not talking about whether OFAC is good or bad.

  Farzaneh Badii: (08:42) also it's not only about participation in ICANN policy it's about transactions with ICANN and contractual relations with ICANN

  Thiago: (08:42) A question related to OFAC is how this fact affects ICANN activities

  Bernard Turcotte - ICANN: (08:47) Time Check - 13 minutes left in call

  Jeff Neuman: (08:49) I certainly know about that case :)

  Farzaneh Badii: (08:49) smiley vs ICANN?

  Jeff Neuman: (08:50) Yes

  Farzaneh Badii: (08:50) Jeff you got yourself into this

  Jeff Neuman: (08:50) I got myself into that case as well

  Philip Corwin: (08:51) @Thiago--agreed on the central OFAC question

  Seun: (08:51) Yeah thanks for calling for issues

  David McAuley: (08:52) Hopefully the Smiley case has something to do with emoji

  Jeff Neuman: (08:52) UNfortunately deals with lotteries

  Farzaneh Badii: (08:52) we have been listing those OFAC issues for the past 10 days, would be nice if others could also add to the list if they know of issues

  Farzaneh Badii: (08:53) thanks all

  Herb Waye Ombuds: (08:53) bye everyone

  Farzaneh Badii: (08:53) good bye

  Seun: (08:53) Thanks and bye

  Bernard Turcotte - ICANN: (08:53) thanks all - goodbye

  David McAuley: (08:53) Thanks all, bye

  Philip Corwin: (08:53) Bye all

  Raphael Beauregard-Lacroix: (08:53) bye

  Thiago: (08:53) bye

  • No labels