Attendees: 

Sub-group Members:   Avir Doria, David McAuley, Greg Shatan, Kate Wallace, Samantha Eisner, Kavouss Arasteh

Staff:  Bernard Turcotte, Brenda Brewer

Apologies:  Malcolm Hutty

** If your name is missing from attendance or apology, please send note to acct-staff@icann.org **

Transcript

Recording

Agenda

1.  Admin/Attendance/SOI;

2.  Status of timing issue/input from ICANN Legal;

3.  Status of ICANN Legal/Policy teams with respect to SO/AC education re: IRP roles;

4.  Update by David of issues/comments ready for posting on list for First Reading (and to be on agenda next call as such):

a.  Joinder;

b.  Panel Conflict of Interest;

c.  Retroactivity:

i.  Rules;

ii.  Substantive standard.

5.  Challenges to Consensus policy;

6.  Call for volunteers;

7.  AOB

Raw Caption Notes*

*Note that these are the unofficial transcript. Official transcript will be posted 2-3 days after the call

Decisions:

• (none)

Action Items:

• DM – encourage participants to analyze comments
  • Staff – Prepare a sign-up sheet for analyzing comments

Requests:

• Participants – Sign up for analyzing an issue.

Documents Presented

Chat Transcript

Brenda Brewer:Good day and welcome to IRP-IOT Meeting #21 on 11 May 2017 @ 13:00 UTC!

David McAuley:dialing in

David McAuley:Greg - i will be on audio at 3 or 4 past the top of hour

David McAuley:we are waiting another moment or two for more to join

Bernard Turcotte Staff Support:Hello all

Greg Shatan:Hi all.

avri doria:i think there would be a real chilling effect on threatening to shifts costs to an amici

avri doria:i was going to raise my hand but would say essentially what Greg has said.

Samantha Eisner:I share many of Greg's concerns on this too

Bernard Turcotte Staff Support:time check - 25 minutes left in call

Greg Shatan:We should not have a "Merrick Garland Rule."

Samantha Eisner:I also agreed with Greg's suggestion of "time off" between terms

Samantha Eisner:if a one term renewal is not appropriate

Greg Shatan:I.e., Panelists should not be disqualified from taking on cases in the last x months of their terms.

Greg Shatan:The old green tick, it ain't what it used to be....

Samantha Eisner:ICANN does not control the re-appoinment process on its own; it would be the community process as well

David McAuley:fair points thank you

Greg Shatan:Sorry I missed the last call....

Samantha Eisner:The conflict of interest procedures from the ICDR would also apply.  No concern about the addition of the language as shown here

avri doria:But it will still be the Board making the final decsion of renewal of a standing panelist. I am not so much worried about ICANN ORG as I am the Board. And yes, it did occur to me pessimism took a dim view of our prpsective panaelists. But a job is a job and peple tend to try and keep their jobs.

Bernard Turcotte Staff Support:Time check - 10 minutes left on call

Greg Shatan:We should make independence one of the criteria/requirements for panelists.  I also think that bad behavior in pandering to ICANN Org. or the Board could be hard to hide.

avri doria:there we differ Greg. for the clever, pandering is easy to hide.

avri doria:and indeed they may be pandering to the community.

Greg Shatan:That may be but I think less drastic measures should be sufficient, and with less downside (i.e., dq'ing all panelists).

Bernard Turcotte Staff Support:bye all

Greg Shatan:Bye all!

David McAuley:bye all

• No labels