Sub-group Members:   Avri Doria, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, David McAuley, Erich Schweighofer, Farzaneh Badii, Greg Shatan, Kavouss Arasteh, Tatiana Tropina   (8)


Staff:  Bernard Turcotte, Brenda Brewer, Nigel Hickson

Apologies:  Finn Petersen, Christopher Wilkinson, Alberto Soto


 ** If your name is missing from attendance or apology, please send note to **




1.    Welcome

2.    Review of Agenda (2 minutes)

3.    Administration (1 minute)

3.1. Changes to SOIs

3.2. Identify Audio Only and Phone Number Participants

4.    Review of decisions and action items from last call (2 minutes)

4.1. Decisions

4.1.1.   Questionnaire responses will be accepted until Friday 21 April 23:59UTC.

4.2. Action Items:

4.2.1.   Staff – Get responses to questionnaire which are not in English translated to English (to be completed by 25 April)

4.2.2.   Greg Shatan – (Re Employ media case analysis) Draft a request to ICANN Legal as to why there is no choice of law in the registry agreements. (To be Circulated)

4.2.3.   Greg Shatan – Place work plan in Google Docs and post link to group to facilitate commenting.(Done)

4.2.4.   Greg Shatan – post update to list on Review of ICANN Litigations noting which cases are due by who and which cases still need people to review. (Done)

5.    Update on Questionnaire (10 minutes)

5.1. Questionnaire closed April 21, 2017

5.1.1.   Accept “Ministry of Transportation and Communications Republic of China | Mao-shong (Morris) Lin” received on 24 April?

5.2. Further responses received:

5.2.1.   Jesus Rivera

5.2.2.   Mzia Gogilashviili

5.2.3.   Mathieu Aubert

5.2.4.   Government of Guyana – Lance Hinds

5.2.5.   Ministry of Transportation and Communications Republic of China | Mao-shong (Morris) Lin

5.3. Status on Translations

5.3.1.   No new non-English responses.

5.3.2.   Spanish to English Completed (1)

5.3.3.   French to English – to be completed today (25 April) (1)

5.3.4.   Russian to English – to be completed today (25 April) (1)

5.4. Staff to Provide a summary of responses

5.5. Next steps

6.    Update on Litigation Review (5 minutes)

7.    AOB

8.    Next meeting Tuesday 2 May 1300 UTC

9.    Adjourned

Raw Captioning Notes

  • Word Doc    (Note that these are the unofficial transcript. Official transcript will be posted 2-3 days after the call)
  • PDF     (Note that these are the unofficial transcript. Official transcript will be posted 2-3 days after the call)

Documents Presented


  • Accept late Taiwan submission

Action Items

  • GS – to circulate a doodle poll to schedule a call of the questionnaire evaluation group.
  • GS – to circulate form for Litigation analysis to list
  • GS – To complete analysis of his two cases.
  • GS – Will complete the question on choice of law and send to the legal committee.

Chat Transcript 

  Brenda Brewer:Good day all and welcome to Jurisdiction Subgroup Meeting #28 on 25 April @ 05:00 UTC!

  Brenda Brewer:If you are not speaking, please mute your phone by pressing *6 (star 6).  To unmute press *6.  Thank you!

  Bernard Turcotte Staff Support:hello all

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):hi all still in another ICANN cal

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):call so will only be in AC until that wraps

  David McAuley (RySG):dialing in

  David McAuley (RySG):I am 8222

  Bernard Turcotte Staff Support:thanks David

  Kavouss Arasteh:Dear Brenda,

  Kavouss Arasteh:GM

  Tatiana Tropina:hi all

  Kavouss Arasteh:I am waiting to be called

  Brenda Brewer:I called once Kavouss.  Will try again.  Please stand by.

  Tatiana Tropina:I had this zip thing last time( also two minites before the call

  Brenda Brewer:calling you now Kavouss.

  Tatiana Tropina:it's a terrible call time (

  David McAuley (RySG):wow - oh joy

  Kavouss Arasteh:Greg

  avri doria:all meetngs are at a terrible time for someone

  Kavouss Arasteh:hi,your voice is unclear seems to be sleepy

  Farzaneh Badii:oh fancy! I can see the transcript while snoozing

  avri doria:yes accept!

  Farzaneh Badii:I recommend accepting it.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):agree

  Kavouss Arasteh:YES

  Tatiana Tropina:accept

  David McAuley (RySG):no strong feeling one way or the other

  avri doria:always good to hear Postel and the TCP protocol spec quoted.

  Brenda Brewer:Jurisdiction Questionnaire wiki page:

  avri doria:i can't understand what Kavouss is saying it was all garbled.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Greg is also clearer than Kavouss in today's call for me as well Avri.  but not garbled

  Farzaneh Badii:you can just read the transcript on this window if you cannot hear each other. I think the transcribers ears are functioning well today

  avri doria:thanks you Farzi, helpful.  good thing we have the transcription.

  Bernard Turcotte Staff Support:not transcription - captioning

  Farzaneh Badii:live captioning

  avri doria:apologies, captioning - great stuff.

  Bernard Turcotte Staff Support:indeed

  David McAuley (RySG):I will do one more before next call

  avri doria:i am readding mine now.  where do i find the form i am supposed to fill in.

  Farzaneh Badii:if I had the time I would have done ITOH.

  Tatiana Tropina:I didn't have any bandwith last weeks but hopefully I can see if I can claim a couple of cases.

  Tatiana Tropina:I will contact you, Greg


  Kavouss Arasteh 3:Sorry for CAP

  avri doria:did not see it, must have been night blindness

  David McAuley (RySG):let's make sure sign up is kept up to date so we don't duplicate case reviews

  Tatiana Tropina:David + 1

  Tatiana Tropina:I might need help as a foreign lawyer :(

  Kavouss Arasteh 3:We need to get the cases assigned to each group

  David McAuley (RySG):good point - claim a doc from google doc sign up sheet

  David McAuley (RySG):claim a case, that is

  David McAuley (RySG):nice, adopt-a-doc

  Tatiana Tropina::-)

  Farzaneh Badii:Im not shy. Im scared. adoption is hard

  David McAuley (RySG):we must become adept at adopting

  David McAuley (RySG):third bullet seems incomplete

  avri doria:i think of it more as fostering.  i plan to give the one i took up after the review.

  David McAuley (RySG):maybe general bullet - what other information can you share with the group to aid it in understanding the lack of applicable law clause

  David McAuley (RySG):yes, as an addition to other bullets

  David McAuley (RySG):Otherwise this seems fine

  David McAuley (RySG):In that example, with no clause the case may be Zanzibarred

  Kavouss Arasteh 3:All these decision ill be made by Court

  David McAuley (RySG):none here

  Bernard Turcotte Staff Support:bye all

  Tatiana Tropina:thanks Greg - bye all

  David McAuley (RySG):Thanks Greg, staff, and all. Good bye all

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):thanks everyone,   sorry to have been so mute today but, my other call still continues though... bye for now then...

  avri doria:bye

  Erich Schweighofer:Bye all from Bochum

  Farzaneh Badii:thanks all. bye

  Greg Shatan:Bye3 all!

  Brenda Brewer:Thank you for joining this meeting.  

  Nigel Hickson:goodbye; good day all

  • No labels